*!* JANUARY 2016 Walking Challenge *!*

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    2nd January, 2015 (02/29) - Walked around town for 3.5 hours! It was a good way to get back into it, having a lovely time with daughters :-) Sadly my Fitbit is having a hissy fit and losing battery power, so no idea what the 'official' figure is.
  • amysant
    amysant Posts: 104 Member
    I am in! 1/1/15 7693 steps for the day. (Didn't hit my 10,000 steps, but got busy with other things). Will check back later with totals after my walk today.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    02.01.2016 = 4.64 miles :smile:
  • Me up for it, in fact did a walk today of 40 minutes although very, very slow pace! I start radiotherapy in 9 days for brain cancer and my dr told me to start walking before and during treatment to keep my energy up.....plus have gained 28 pounds in the last 10 weeks due to high dose of steroids so feeling double yuk.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,887 Member
    Oh my goodness!!!! It is so groovy to see everyone here and walking! This is awesome!!!!! Howllo out there!!! It is a beautiful day out today and yes I pretty much say that every day!

• AlphaHowls
    1/2/16 Neighborhood Walk (2 - 5 lbs weights and 8 lbs weighted vest) 16,549 steps 9.09 miles 2:11:01 990 cals

It was bright and sunny, even with the brisk cool weather. I can do anything with the sun shining! I waited for the temperature to reach above 37*F before venturing out this morning.
  • kacavey
    kacavey Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in !
  • The3Harveys
    The3Harveys Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in if that's OK. I've been out of action since before Christmas with a cold, but will be back on it from Monday.
  • AlphaHowls
    Any and all are welcome, anytime! Just start walking!
  • AlphaHowls
    Me up for it, in fact did a walk today of 40 minutes although very, very slow pace! I start radiotherapy in 9 days for brain cancer and my dr told me to start walking before and during treatment to keep my energy up.....plus have gained 28 pounds in the last 10 weeks due to high dose of steroids so feeling double yuk.

Wow! Let us know how you are doing! I agree with the walking. I had to keep walking before and after my surgery in September. It does make one feel better
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    I'm in too! just finished 17k steps.
  • AlphaHowls
    Anniepi66 wrote: »
    I'm in. Just checked my weight for the first time in a couple of weeks. I gained weight during Thanksgiving. Just 3 pounds and got it off before Christmas. Yay me. However! However, I just checked it this a.m. and I have gained 9 pounds since Thanksgiving! Gained 3, lost 3, didn't weigh in and now up 9 total! Good grief. My goal in the first place was/is 100. So now I have 68 to go. I know with the help of you guys, walking and water aerobics I will get there! It's January 2, 2016! I am ready to begin again - or is that CONTINUE? Yes, I lost 43 pounds in 2015. I can - I WILL LOSE 68 in 2016! Ready, set, GO!

That is awesome, you can do it! *dew claws up*
  • AlphaHowls
    KnordRW wrote: »
    Hello all! I just found this thread, but I'm definitely in for this month. I walked 4.14 miles in 1 hr 22 minutes yesterday. I'm gonna set myself a goal of 62 miles for January.....with how cold it gets up here in the Pittsburgh area in January, I'm gonna need all the motivation and accountability I can get!

Remember you can always walk indoors. There are some great walking YouTube videos! Leslie Sansone is one of them. I use her when the weather is frightful!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    my enthusiasm is just not there. Any advice to get back on track?

Keep doing what you're doing: Keep walking, and eventually the enthusiasm will return. Like writing, playing an instrument, or any other skill, sometimes it's a slog and other times it's a joy. You work through the slog to get to the joy.
  • JanetMMcC
    MelFoulds wrote: »
    I'm worried when I get to work next week that I won't achieve it as I work in an office. I'm going to have to force myself to walk the steps I haven't achieved in work with the dog in the evening!

Good thoughts about the dog. :) I also work in an office. I can't always do this, but I try to get up every couple hours and walk around the hall for a few minutes, and to use my lunch half-hour to walk, and then eat at my desk.

• saffysharmamfp
    saffysharmamfp Posts: 140 Member
    January 2- 19,497 steps, 15.59 km
  • JanetMMcC
    MrsMizart wrote: »
    2nd January, 2015 (02/29) - Sadly my Fitbit is having a hissy fit and losing battery power, so no idea what the 'official' figure is.

Superfast Fitbit battery drain is apparently a *very* common problem. Check in at the Fitbit site; you may be able to return it and get a new one. (Or if you bought it at Costco, they're *wonderful* about returns.)
  • JanetMMcC
    I got in 5,482 steps yesterday, says the Fitbit. Many of those were walking in place while baking, showering, and brushing my teeth. (For the baking, I stuck the Fitbit in my sock. For the shower, I put it into a quart-size Freezer ziplock, fold the ziplock around the Fitbit, then twine a rubber band around it on my calf.)

I've been a slug today. Gotta get up, go to the gym and run some errands.
  • mjackson59
    mjackson59 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm in!!!!
  • MelFoulds
    MelFoulds Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks to those who have sent me friends requests, it's really nice we are all doing this together! Have a fab evening and here's to a nice day tomorrow so we can all get out and about for a walk!