deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Swipe/ click right

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Behind the back dead. My favorite :) 545x3 (30lb pr +3reps)

I've never seen this before. Out of curiosity, why would someone program this lift into their workout?

Similar to a conventional dead. Except it's easy on the low back. Hit's the legs real hard. Quads, glutes. This is also transferring to regular deads too. Just pulled a PR 2wks ago.

5in "blocks" because I don't have a platform and don't want to make craters in the cement lol.

Isn't this called a hack squat- like- an actual hack squat- not the machine?

I can't see the video on my computer- so I'm stabbing at what I suspect your doing- but I thought there was a name for this?
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    365 lbs pause squat

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I've never seen this before. Out of curiosity, why would someone program this lift into their workout?

Similar to a conventional dead. Except it's easy on the low back. Hit's the legs real hard. Quads, glutes. This is also transferring to regular deads too. Just pulled a PR 2wks ago.

5in "blocks" because I don't have a platform and don't want to make craters in the cement lol.

I can't see the video on my computer- so I'm stabbing at what I suspect your doing- but I thought there was a name for this?

Yes lifty senses are correct, it's a barbell hack...
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Interesting. Deads are my fav. I worry that I'm not coordinated enough for that, though. :D
    maybe try a trap bar deadlift.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Interesting. Deads are my fav. I worry that I'm not coordinated enough for that, though. :D

Have you looked into sumo deads? They hit the quads and adductors hard but less stress on the lower back. I prefer conventional but I lift sumos as an accessory.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

Dude, you're an animal!
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    Okay so final sharing with the class... And really I need some hive mind group think... I've been struggling with squat mechanics for two years now. Hip imbalance, si joint, chest/core failure... Of its not one think it's another... Ever time I think I make headway.. I realize I'm still struggling at weight that should be more comfortable.

Today my glaring flaw is my drift back with years old giant booty. The hard line of the power cage and the directly perpendicular shot really highlights this.

So class... What can I do to help fix this? Thoughts? Commentary? You're boned for life Jo, so just deal with a mediocre squat for ever?
    ? Thoughts.. Please send Halp before I start curling in the squat rack.

Have you considered switching to high-bar squat? You probably won't move as much weight, but it forces you into a more upright position which might help you to keep from shifting forward. Make sure your knees aren't collapsing in. Concentrate on forcing them out at the bottom of your squat. Also, make sure you are maintaining tightness in your core throughout the lift.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    Okay so final sharing with the class... And really I need some hive mind group think... I've been struggling with squat mechanics for two years now. Hip imbalance, si joint, chest/core failure... Of its not one think it's another... Ever time I think I make headway.. I realize I'm still struggling at weight that should be more comfortable.

Today my glaring flaw is my drift back with years old giant booty. The hard line of the power cage and the directly perpendicular shot really highlights this.

So class... What can I do to help fix this? Thoughts? Commentary? You're boned for life Jo, so just deal with a mediocre squat for ever?

Have you considered switching to high-bar squat? You probably won't move as much weight, but it forces you into a more upright position which might help you to keep from shifting forward. Make sure your knees aren't collapsing in. Concentrate on forcing them out at the bottom of your squat. Also, make sure you are maintaining tightness in your core throughout the lift.

Lulz- I've been high bar squatting for a long time- well- "high bar"

the bar sits high- but my form tends to be somewhere between high and low. Meaning- I can't "sit" properly with a high bar squat- so I lose energy b/c I"m so far forward- I've spent the last month or so working the low bar squat (the problem is the same for high and low bar variations on me)

I don't have tremendous knee valgus- I mean- it's there- but it's not awful for what I'm pushing. I see more ankle instability than the knee collapse (which well- it's all related so I won't get to far into the weeds there)

I'd say my weakest is engaging the core- I have a hard time in anything I do actively turning it on despite the fact it's not weak- I just have a hard time engaging it.
    I've drifted away from using my belt unless i'm moving something over 90% or I'm having a really bad day stabilizing... I'm having bladder issues and the second I brace under load- I pee. So It's not something I've been really utilizing unless I have to.
  • JoRocka
    Options

finally watched- man your shoulders look wicked.... this is great.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

Dude, you're an animal!

Sry I've been on vacation for a while.
    Yes hack, barbell hack, back snapper haha.
    And thanks!

I'd Also recommend adding trap bar deads with or without blocks, bands, chains to your training. (Saw it mentioned above somewhere).

Currently on day 8 of no lifting weights and I'm going mad :D Thursday!!
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

the bar sits high- but my form tends to be somewhere between high and low. Meaning- I can't "sit" properly with a high bar squat- so I lose energy b/c I"m so far forward- I've spent the last month or so working the low bar squat (the problem is the same for high and low bar variations on me)

I don't have tremendous knee valgus- I mean- it's there- but it's not awful for what I'm pushing. I see more ankle instability than the knee collapse (which well- it's all related so I won't get to far into the weeds there)

I'd say my weakest is engaging the core- I have a hard time in anything I do actively turning it on despite the fact it's not weak- I just have a hard time engaging it.
    I've drifted away from using my belt unless i'm moving something over 90% or I'm having a really bad day stabilizing... I'm having bladder issues and the second I brace under load- I pee. So It's not something I've been really utilizing unless I have to.

Hmm. The bar looks like it's sitting on your scapulae not on your traps. Regardless, some people just squat better high or low. I think you probably just need to work on maintaining tightness in your core. When you lose tightness at the bottom of your squat there is a tendency to lose the weight forward. I suggest a deload and concentration on form. Also, if you aren't doing front squats, those will help a lot with maintaining an upright posture during the descent. That training will carry over to back squat.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options

PB 185kg
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    165kg opener

175kg 2nd lift

185 KG final lift and PB

• deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
  • JoRocka
    Options

Dude, you're an animal!

Sry I've been on vacation for a while.
    Yes hack, barbell hack, back snapper haha.
    And thanks!

I'd Also recommend adding trap bar deads with or without blocks, bands, chains to your training. (Saw it mentioned above somewhere).

Currently on day 8 of no lifting weights and I'm going mad :D Thursday!!

Blargh- 8 days of no lifting? #iddie. Good for you? maybe- but YAY for thursday coming back at it!!!

We have a trap bar- I can definitely add those in. we also have chains- I just hate using them (a. extra work and b. they sound so god damn pretensions) But if they work- I can suck it up.

Hmm. The bar looks like it's sitting on your scapulae not on your traps. Regardless, some people just squat better high or low. I think you probably just need to work on maintaining tightness in your core. When you lose tightness at the bottom of your squat there is a tendency to lose the weight forward. I suggest a deload and concentration on form. Also, if you aren't doing front squats, those will help a lot with maintaining an upright posture during the descent. That training will carry over to back squat.

this video is more low bar for me- like actual low bar. It's pretty low for me- but I dunno- hard to tell. I have a friend who thinks he squats high bar- and the bar is most definitely LOW on his back- but his form is very upright- so perception is not always reality.

I do - in the "off" cycle - do front squats- they are not part of sheiko regular training generally speaking. I'll see about cycling in a heavier deload set- I'm about 2-3 weeks out from being done with Sheiko- I'm sure as *kitten* not deloading now. But once I'm done with this cycle I can do something different and come back to more technical work I suppose.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Great lifts!! Congrats on the PR for deads!!! (can't see the rest of the bench ones).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Groin healing after pulling it at baseball a week ago. Got my volume in yesterday with an adjustment to my reps on squats.

Bench: 267.5 x 5 x 5
    Slingshot 315 x 2 x 2
    Squat: 335 x 3 x 8

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I've been chasing a 70kg (154lb) snatch. Yesterday I hit it for an ugly PR double and then PR'd my hang clean and jerk in a complex at 85kg (187lbs) and PR'd my hang clean at 91kg (200lbs)! I started new programming 7 weeks ago and the PR's have finally been flowing again!

Wow. Impressive numbers!
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options

Great lifts!! Congrats on the PR for deads!!! (can't see the rest of the bench ones).

Thank you! I think you can click right on the videos to see the other two attempts