Why do you hate Dr. Oz?

Options

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What do you mean by a troll thread? That I made this up? I watch the show and enjoy it. And wanted to know why people hate it.
    I hope it's not insulting. I have not insulted anyone. There is no hate. No anger. Just friendships.
    Can you explain troll and how it is used here? Not familiar with the word. Not american born.
    I only come here at certain times. I had to go to sleep.
    I have made many good friends here. Supportive. They have taught so many things, I owe them. I would never hurt MFP family. Am I causing antagonism? Then I will stop. That is the last thing I want to do.
    Many people enjoy the Dr. Oz as entertainment. I just happen to be one of them. But as entertainment; not the bible.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm actually hoping this is a troll thread.
    Wishful thinking?
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I rather like the show. It's entertaining. It gives me ideas on what to eat. Recipes. It reminds me to be healthy. I learned things like I need more magnesium in my diet. Yoga poses.
    For real information I read books or trusted sites off the internet.
    I don't think Dr. Oz is really a quack. I think he really cares about people's health. Wish more shows like that would be on TV (they are needed).
    What did he do or say that made you not like him? If people criticize him too much, no more health shows will ever come in the future. A lot better than MSNBC.

A question ...

Are you actually serious ... or was this thread started all in fun, tongue-in-cheek, a bit of stirring to liven up a boring afternoon. :wink:

I feel like that too...kind of like the girl who typed everything in italics (if you missed that whole thing, it was just plain weird) ;) .
    But...but.....she likes italics
    Yeah, that made my brain hurt.

Ugh, flashbacks. Ha!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by a troll thread? That I made this up? I watch the show and enjoy it. And wanted to know why people hate it.
    I hope it's not insulting. I have not insulted anyone. There is no hate. No anger. Just friendships.
    Can you explain troll and how it is used here? Not familiar with the word. Not american born.
    I only come here at certain times. I had to go to sleep.
    I have made many good friends here. Supportive. They have taught so many things, I owe them. I would never hurt MFP family. Am I causing antagonism? Then I will stop. That is the last thing I want to do.
    Many people enjoy the Dr. Oz as entertainment. I just happen to be one of them. But as entertainment; not the bible.

Since you're back, I ask again ...

A question ...

Are you actually serious ... or was this thread started all in fun, tongue-in-cheek, a bit of stirring to liven up a boring afternoon? :wink: :)

• MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tongue and cheek is very hard for a non-american to understand. Sounds dirty.
    The question was asked because I read another question of people calling Dr. Oz a quackola.
    I watch the show. Mostly because the only thing else that is on is Judge Judy and other junk shows. I figured it's just fun to watch. Did not know people actually hated him. I love how I have a whole new understanding as to why. This is a great place.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Return to Oz

http://www.scibabe.com/return-oz/

Every so often, I take a break from entertaining #ScienceDog to address some breaking *kitten*. For this extra edition of the Weekly Woo, Dr. Oz came out with a video a few days ago:

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/new-gmo-pesticide-doctors-are-warning-against

And furthermore, he released this list of questions and statements from the EPA:

http://www.doctoroz.com/page/epas-statement

One of these weeks, I wish these guys would just take the week off, stay off social media, and just tell their family this *kitten* instead. Go small, like that sitting too close to the TV makes your eyes go bad or that unicorns are real. Can you do that next time, Dr. Oz? Buddy the #ScienceDog is counting on you.

This was his version of breaking news, with his statement, “I’m going to challenge the food industry, the chemical industry, and the government.”

Sorry, I was yawning. Allow me to chug this pumpkin spice latte to keep myself awake. Let’s hop into some pesticide science because, as has been established, this is my bread and butter.

Weeds and pests have long been the bane of farmers, and historically we’ve tried a lot of different things to fight them. Pre-synthetic pesticides, our options were limited. There were lot of pesticides that would still be considered ‘organic’ today because they weren’t synthesized in a lab. Sulfuric acid, cyanide, arsenic, pyrethrum, and tobacco were all used as ways to rid ourselves of bugs and weeds. Ounce per ounce? Many were more toxic than the synthetic pesticides. It’s a misconception that ‘organic’ food doesn’t use pesticides. Some may not, but most organic farmers use pesticides; they qualify as organic simply because the chemical structure of the pesticide hasn’t been altered in the lab. Rotenone and the pyrethrums? Highly toxic and completely ‘organic.’

The green revolution came and Norman Borlaug’s innovations in farming have been estimated to save well over a billion people from starvation. Genetic modifications have given us crops that are more resistant to environmental conditions, and the pesticides that we have now? Given that we’ve introduced regulations and safety testing, they are better for the environment than their ‘natural’ predecessors of cyanide and arsenic, and we use less pesticides per acre of farmland because we’ve come up with more efficient products. Less bugs and weeds lead to higher crop yields and lead to lower food prices, it’s good for farmers and great for consumers. Technology has been wonderful for everyone.

It’s been mentioned about forty-seven thousand times that the guiding principle of toxicology is that the dose makes the poison, and this is true with pesticides as well. We need to use pesticides that are toxic enough to kill the bugs and the weeds but that we can prove do not harm the humans, the target crops, and the environment.

The regulations have become more stringent over the years, and given this I would hope consumer confidence would be up. We’re not using cyanide or sulfuric acid anymore. We’re using products that we know the exact mechanism of action and we know exactly why, by the time it gets to market, people are safe.

It takes a very long time to get a new pesticide formulation to market. We have to prove that it hasn’t broken down into any harmful bi-products. The limits are measured in parts per billion- like I said, stringent. Sometimes multiple chemists run the exact same tests to show repeatability of the same safety testing.

I don’t buy organic. I have absolute confidence in my product.

These are things that the consumer never sees. These are things that Dr. Oz never sees.

A headline saying “big agro uses Agent Orange chemical” sells so many more papers than everything I just wrote, doesn’t it?

Now let’s look at a lot of the things that are oh so wrong with Dr. Oz’s claims…

Agent Orange was composed of two herbicides, 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T. We didn’t know it at the time, but 2,4,5-T exposed people to a chemical called dioxin. We now know that dioxin is responsible for the health effects that Agent Orange brought to the population. Remove 2,4,5-T from the equation? You remove the dioxin and there’s no problem. In fact, we’ve continued to use 2,4-D for decades safely. It’s like saying that because water is in liquid kitchen cleanser, that water is your kitchen cleanser. No. Just no.

Glyphosate is in Toxicity Category III according to the EPA. This means it’s “slightly toxic.” To give you an idea of what they also put into this class? If a solution is made up of a minimum of 4% alcohol, it also has to be put into Toxicity Category III. Water is in Toxicity Category IV (i.e. not toxic).

One of Dr. Oz’s questions is “Of the comments you received during the comment period, how many were for approval of Enlist Duo and how many were against?” We do not do science by committee. If they got letters from scientists saying that they conducted a research paper and it’s relevant to the safety of the pesticide, they absolutely would take that into account. If they get 20,000 letters from people saying “well the name sounds scary because I can’t pronounce it,” not to sound harsh, but learn to pronounce it.

He claims ‘the health of your brain can be the casualty.’ First, you are not a neurologist. Second, Dr. Oz, I implore you to please go to any of the pesticide manufacturers in the country. Please, visit Monsanto, Bayer, Syngenta, Dow, et al, and look to see if any of their researchers who are exposed to thousands of times the pesticides that the average person will ever see has any of the symptoms you are claiming could be linked to these pesticides. I guarantee you that if that had happened? It would have been in the papers by now.

The claim is made that thirty-five prominent doctors and scientists signed a letter opposing putting Enlist Duo onto the market. Where were they when both of these pesticides were already on the market for over four decades and it didn’t stand to make them a lot of money by appearing on your show?

There is an alleged increased risk for Alzheimers, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and Parkinsons disease linked to 2,4-D. Are there any published studies confirming a causal link or is this just a link like “somebody had a genetic link for this disease and they once ate a carrot with a pesticide on it?” It’s suspicious that Dr. Oz wouldn’t say that there was cause.

He brings out Zen Honeycutt to back him up. I’m sure she means well, but as far as I can see, she has zero expertise in this field. She “instinctively knew” that glyphosate had to do with her childrens’ health issues. I don’t mean to make light of her childrens’ health issues, it’s terrible to feel helpless while watching your children go through an illness (even as an adult, I got extremely sick when I was 26, I think it was harder for my Mom to watch me be sick than it was for me to go through it). I sympathize with someone who is confused and grasping for answers. But blaming something that has been proven, time and again, to be innocent? It lets the real culprit go free. Furthermore, there has never been solid proof that glyphosate performs all the harmful effects she claims.

Being sensationalist gets more people to tune into your show than telling them simple truths. Eat more vegetables and exercise more. Get a puppy and go to the beach, it’ll make you smile a lot. Processed food isn’t great for you because it’s calorically dense, but a cupcake once in a while won’t kill you.

Well that’s certainly not going to sell books, get ratings, or fill up an hour long talk show.

Dr. Oz, or as I like to call you, Mr. “I used to be a good cardiologist and now I play one on TV,” #ScienceDog is glaring at me now as I’ve taken up some time that would be better spent at Laguna Beach in the sand with him. Next week, if you really need to peddle *kitten*, try just telling your kid that there’s a tooth fairy.

-Science Babe
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The question was asked because I read another question of people calling Dr. Oz a quackola.
    I watch the show. Mostly because the only thing else that is on is Judge Judy and other junk shows. I figured it's just fun to watch. Did not know people actually hated him. I love how I have a whole new understanding as to why. This is a great place.

Stop watching day time tv
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Because he's unethical, unprofessional, and clearly willingly renounced the Hippocratic Oath he once took for the almighty dollar.

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humility and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

• Machka9
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Stop watching day time tv

Yep ... day time is a good time to get out and go for a long walk.

Or to take classes at University.

(And I'm not American either)

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I still think this is a troll post....or she is very much in love with Dr Oz and wants to produce lots of little Oz's with him. eww.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do not love Dr. Oz. I watch the show as entertainment. Just like I watch cramer or the news.
    I wanted to know why people hated him and called him a quack. I thank everyone for answering my questions clearly. Thank you so very much everyone.
    I looked up this troll word = A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In origin, troll may have been a negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar). In Old Norse sources, beings described as trolls dwell in isolated rocks, mountains, or caves, live together in small family units, and are rarely helpful to human beings.

I watch him at 4pm, while I am preparing my dinners. Nothing else really on. Oh, how I wish TV was better. Seems to just get worse all the time.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lol I wonder how many of you guys will get warnings too? I got my first one and a couple of posts deleted. I feel naughty now :p
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why would you get a warning? What happened? You were never mean or used foul language.
    I think you actually were one of the people that really helped me understand that he is just out to make money and does not really care about people. (I will still watch the show since he often has recipes).
    Now that I remember, he taught me how to know if an evoo is good. By feeling that tingling in the back of your throat. The walmart brand does not give me that. I even looked this up on the internet afterwards. No books on it. Lots of little things you can learn.
    I honestly think you can learn some things from his show.
    And again, I have never, in the 2 years, seen him selling products. And if he did, I would never run out and buy them.
    I do not read a book about herbals and go out and buy them all

Today he had a show on crib padding. I had no idea that could be dangerous at all. No idea.
    He also had a show on hacks, which I loved. Fun to watch. Entertaining.
    And a show on dangers of vitamins overdoses.
    One time he had a show on dangers of water pills. I had no idea.
    He also had on on the dangers of those corsets.
    Other shows are just crap to watch. To me anyway. Soaps and Judge Judy.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    it sorta sounds like now you are shilling for him......hmmmm.
  • Machka9
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Today he had a show on crib padding. I had no idea that could be dangerous at all. No idea.
    He also had a show on hacks, which I loved. Fun to watch. Entertaining.
    And a show on dangers of vitamins overdoses.
    One time he had a show on dangers of water pills. I had no idea.
    He also had on on the dangers of those corsets.
    Other shows are just crap to watch. To me anyway. Soaps and Judge Judy.

Sounds like, when he does pass on a few tidbits of decent information, he's just restating the stuff we already know ... common knowledge.

Really, you'd benefit more getting away from the TV all together and taking classes, exercising, volunteering, doing hobbies ... or something. :)

• MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I start cooking at 4pm. I'm not sure what else I could watch. I could watch news, but this stock market is churning my stomach. Almost makes me break out in a sweat and sell everything.
    Again, I just watch it for fun. I would never believe anything anyone just says. Just a little break in the day.
    shilling is a currency?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    it sorta sounds like now you are shilling for him......hmmmm.

nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh B)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I start cooking at 4pm. I'm not sure what else I could watch. I could watch news, but this stock market is churning my stomach. Almost makes me break out in a sweat and sell everything.
    Again, I just watch it for fun. I would never believe anything anyone just says. Just a little break in the day.
    shilling is a currency?

Many people have noticed your name and asked about it. Your refusal to answer why you're posting under/have stolen an assumed name is part of the reason so many people suspect you of trolling (along with your generally flippant attitude, of course)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    shilling is a currency?

Why do you need to watch anything? Put on some music and groove or put on an audiobook and *gasp* learn something or be entertained by a story.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh. Thank you for that. Gosh, that explains so very much. I thought people would know that I just made up the name. Should I change it?
    @earl - But I actually find the show a bit entertaining. Just like some people find Judge Judy entertaining. I used to watch Oprah years ago.
    Oprah used to also come on when I started preparing dinner. I enjoyed the entertainment.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Do you have to watch TV? Could you read a book? Listen to music? It's scary how many specifics you can site that you'd learned by watching him. You say you "would never believe anything anyone just says", yet look at all the stuff throughout this thread that you have believed he has taught you...

Considering what he has said over the years, I'm scared that he's probably even giving mis-information out about lettuce. Perhaps it was a lettuce detox show?
This discussion has been closed.