Why do you hate Dr. Oz?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    He chased the money like so many tend to do. I don't hold it against him. If there are that many ignorant people out there believing him, let them lose their money.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Overall, I am fine with him. I think his mind in the right place getting people to think about their health. People seem to trust what he says, which is powerful.

The thing I get concerned about is his promoting "diet" and "weight loss" supplements like garcinia cambogia and raspberry ketones.

From webmd.com:

"Raspberry ketone became popular for weight loss after it was mentioned on the Dr. Oz television show during the segment called 'Raspberry ketone: Miracle fat-burner in a bottle' in February 2012. Even though it is touted as a “miracle” for weight loss, there is no reliable scientific evidence that it works for improving weight loss."

Although there may be some effectiveness with these supplements, there is no substitute for a good diet and regular exercise. There is no quick fix for permanent and sustainable weight loss and health. It takes time.

so you are fine with woo woo and scam artists?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    seems to me that he is a scam artist
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've only ever seen part of one episode, in it he stated that the HCG diet "may be a useful tool for those who have tried everything else with no success" That was enough for me to know what kind of person he is. A legit Doctor doesn't ever state that eating a 500 calorie diet and injecting yourself with HCG hormone is something that "may be useful" Before that I had not seen the show and just assumed all his random ideas were harmless, it was then that I realized how dangerous his advice could actually be to individuals who don't know better.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't do daytime tv. Ever. I've got to deal with 5 min with Oz whilst waiting on the news to start. I don't like him....I'm not sure why, but I just don't like him.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't like him because he influences naïve people into believing his nonsense. His show on Celiac disease was very ill informed and stated false info on which items do and do not contain gluten.

People are not smart enough to double check his sources either. My mother in law who is a medical professional herself called my husband to warn him that my gluten free diet was dangerous because Dr. Oz says gluten grains have vitamins that are essential. I have Celiac disease. I was deficient in all vitamins before diagnosis because my intestines were too inflamed to absorb nutrients yet he has so much influence that she seemed to think he knew more than my GI doctor! The one who actually scoped my insides!

Also on the show my MIL watched he warned against gluten free diets however I've watched other shows where he promotes gluten free diets (not just for celiac/gluten intolerant people). He promotes whatever gets the most viewers and he has no problem doing a complete 180 on what he recommended the last show!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm actually hoping this is a troll thread.
    Wishful thinking?
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I rather like the show. It's entertaining. It gives me ideas on what to eat. Recipes. It reminds me to be healthy. I learned things like I need more magnesium in my diet. Yoga poses.
    For real information I read books or trusted sites off the internet.
    I don't think Dr. Oz is really a quack. I think he really cares about people's health. Wish more shows like that would be on TV (they are needed).
    What did he do or say that made you not like him? If people criticize him too much, no more health shows will ever come in the future. A lot better than MSNBC.

A question ...

Are you actually serious ... or was this thread started all in fun, tongue-in-cheek, a bit of stirring to liven up a boring afternoon. :wink:

I feel like that too...kind of like the girl who typed everything in italics (if you missed that whole thing, it was just plain weird) ;) .
    But...but.....she likes italics
    Yeah, that made my brain hurt.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I feel like we're being played around with here.

OP has been given link after link full of evidence that includes his own admission that he's a fraud...yet she's still white knighting him and the BS he's spouted by claiming it's still good advice and he's a reliable source of info.

:indifferent:

It can be hard to admit that the things we like are problematic (at best, in this case).
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I also read You Staying Young - just a book I enjoyed.
    Colleges do not really teach about healthy eating. If they do, it would be a waste of money, since it's all in books.

How about books written by reputable sources, with empirically based evidence, rather than written by Dr Oz and company.

And colleges absolutely teach about healthy eating, if you take nutrition coursework. Again-empirically based info. SCIENCE. It's great. Something I'm sure Dr Oz used to believe in.

And I think the woman in the emergency room who took all of his advice would argue against your statement that he's made people's lives better, not worse. I'm sure there are many out there who have come to harm because they blindly took what he said as gospel.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Janet, why do you like this guy so much?

I was wondering the same thing!! OP, are you working on commission?

Op is Dr oz.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I read every single night. Please do not insult. We are friends here. This place is all about supports and friendships. And maybe a debate.
    Agree. Many people want a quick fix.
    I also read You Staying Young - just a book I enjoyed.
    Colleges do not really teach about healthy eating. If they do, it would be a waste of money, since it's all in books.

No one cares that you read every night- We care that you're reading the right things. For all I know it's that **** "Women's World" magazine available at the grocery checkout saying you can drop 25 lbs this month.

Also your statement about college tells me you've never been. Why does college exist if there's already a book for every subject on the planet? Oh right, because books aren't everything.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mind blown! And here I thought the high carb vegan was laying claim to the #1 whack a doodle spot! There's some serious competition here from the OP
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I love him, I would marry him, yep
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Mind blown! And here I thought the high carb vegan was laying claim to the #1 whack a doodle spot! There's some serious competition here from the OP

lol Im sure more will come out of the woodwork
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't hate doctor Oz. In fact, I rather like him. He promotes healthy eating and exercise habits to the general population, who can use as much help and information as they can get. He demonstrates healthy recipes and posts them on his site. Some of the guests he brings on the show have valuable health or diet information. His show (and magazine) are good gateways for people to become more aware of what they're putting into their body.

Now, do I like it when he promotes the BS cure-all supplements? Not at all. I hate it when people come into our store and ask for the green bean coffee extract and the Garcinia Cambodia (sp?). It gives people false hope and prevents them from actually changing. But, overall, I think he does more good than bad. He doesn't even really promote supplements anymore (other than the established necessities like vitamin D and fish oil) after the FDA got on him a couple of years ago.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    OP had to be a troll right? No way that was legit.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I'm pretty bummed that thread got closed :( this one is not nearly as entertaining
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I did like the show on how he told people the signs of heart attack. He once explained fibroids and made me make a dr's appt and I had them. And thanks to the person on the 2012 date when he told people to take Garcina stuff.
    Still not sure if he made money from that or companies were just using his name.
    And again, in the 2 years I have watched the show, I have no really seen anything offensive. Just information how to stay healthy.

I have thoroughly enjoyed asking this question and reading different points of view. I definitively, 100% got my answer.
    I also watch Cramer on CNBC nightly. It's entertainment. I would never rush out and buy the stocks he says to buy. Same when I see late night commercials that I know are just selling junk. Entertaining.

Thank you everyone. Opened my eyes to how others think. How easily people believe what they hear. I can see how some earthlings would go out and buy dinki doo and think it would make them lose 10 pounds in 5 days just because he says it will work.
    That is what I now understand. Thank you friends. Thank you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    The OP was responding to everything with great regularity at first ... but, interestingly, hasn't been back since I asked the question.

I'm actually hoping this is a troll thread.
    Wishful thinking?
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I rather like the show. It's entertaining. It gives me ideas on what to eat. Recipes. It reminds me to be healthy. I learned things like I need more magnesium in my diet. Yoga poses.
    For real information I read books or trusted sites off the internet.
    I don't think Dr. Oz is really a quack. I think he really cares about people's health. Wish more shows like that would be on TV (they are needed).
    What did he do or say that made you not like him? If people criticize him too much, no more health shows will ever come in the future. A lot better than MSNBC.

A question ...

Are you actually serious ... or was this thread started all in fun, tongue-in-cheek, a bit of stirring to liven up a boring afternoon. :wink:

I feel like that too...kind of like the girl who typed everything in italics (if you missed that whole thing, it was just plain weird) ;) .
    But...but.....she likes italics
    Yeah, that made my brain hurt.

This discussion has been closed.