Eating poop for weight loss?!?!

Options

Replies

• rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well people eat periods, bull balls, intestines and toss salads so it's not too far fetched. lol
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Substitute the word "poop" for intestinal flora. And yes it is a thing. Which is showing results.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-gut-bacteria-help-make-us-fat-and-thin/

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/328/5975/228.abstract

Thank you for posting those articles! Cool stuff I learned...

1) "Documenting such differences does not mean the discrepancies are responsible for obesity, however. To demonstrate cause and effect, Gordon and his colleagues conducted an elegant series of experiments with so-called humanized mice...The mice ate the same diet in equal amounts, yet the animals that received bacteria from an obese twin grew heavier and had more body fat than mice with microbes from a thin twin. As expected, the fat mice also had a less diverse community of microbes in the gut."

2) "then repeated the experiment with one small twist: after giving the baby mice microbes from their respective twins, they moved the animals into a shared cage. This time both groups remained lean. "

Why did they remain lean?

3) "the mice carrying microbes from the obese human had picked up some of their lean roommates' gut bacteria—especially varieties of Bacteroidetes—probably by consuming their feces, a typical, if unappealing, mouse behavior."

Mice are already more advanced than us on this particular medical discovery...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Wombats poo in cubes

sounds like nature has prepared for this experiment to me

there you go OP - eat wombat poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52Rdp_b5dQ

Thanks for posting. That wombat is so precious. I wanna know why it's cubed...like his intestinal tract has corners? I can't look it up, I'm at work.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I read a article about it ( was a paper of some sort) it had to do with gut micro biome in rats and fecal transplant. There were human trials where it was found that the fecal transplant of thinner to fatter people ( and it was given in a capsule sanitized etc) it did help to lose weight through their micro biome. However did end up causing other diseases ( I don't remember what tho)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Entries in MFP are now explained. Finally.
    Dinner
    Dutchess - Poop, 2 poopies 150
    Poop - Squat, 8 oz 60
    pu - poop, 5 gallons 20
    Toilet - Poop, 0.25 cup 222
    M&m's - Peanut Poop, 1.5 oz 220
    Dave's - *kitten* Sandwich With Gravy, 1 hour 1,000
    Homemade - Sh%t on A Shingle, 1 SHINGLE 200
    Shitso - Tiny Turds, 2 turds 50
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be less gross just to eat some yogurt?
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    They do have these pills but they are to cure C.Diff....an intestinal infection you can get from long term use of antibiotics. Wouldnt recommend them for any other use.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I bet I would lose weight if I got E. coli from someones poo.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Does this mean that I can maybe make money selling my poop?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be less gross just to eat some yogurt?

well thats not as fun as eating your own poo, now is it????? Gives whole new meaning to the term "talking *kitten*"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    n1826ijz7658.jpg

This is what I think with some of the threads that pop poop up here.
    fixed fir u.

:laugh:
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Too bad it's not vegan.

I guess that's an interesting point.

Is a poop pill from a vegan, ok for vegans to take?

Vegans seem to be against eating animals or animal products, but they aren't against babies drinking breast milk etc

So cow milk is a no no but human milk is ok. So is human poop ok also. No cute furry animals were harmed, caged, used, killed.

I guess poop pills would be similar to ice cream made from human breast milk, is that ok for vegans?

How can we be sure that humans aren't being chained to porta-potties for their skinny poo? Factory Farming human poop!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    Well people eat periods, bull balls, intestines and toss salads so it's not too far fetched. lol

Placenta too.

I don't have the time nor the energy to read anything related to this, but I suppose I can see where transferring bacteria could be beneficial in some instances.... Why not? I don't see where this would do anything magical for weight loss though.

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I would be worried about diseases that can be transmitted via fecal-oral route. Some examples: c. Diff, hepatitis a/e, cholera, typhoid fever, e. Coli, tape worms, the list continues. You can bet a company that is looking to make money from this, is likely not following good screening practices for these diseases.

One of the primary conditions it is being tested to treat is c. diff.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    rawroy wrote: »

Placenta too.

I don't have the time nor the energy to read anything related to this, but I suppose I can see where transferring bacteria could be beneficial in some instances.... Why not? I don't see where this would do anything magical for weight loss though.

I think it is furthering research from this:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-gut-bacteria-help-make-us-fat-and-thin/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3829625/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Why, WHY would anyone want to take it orally?! Sometimes a suppository IS the lesser of the two evils.

In order to have a fecal transplant, at this point, you have to find your own donor and do much of the work yourself. You have to hope that you just happen to have a friend or family member with the GI microbiome that will cure what ails you (c. diff, diabetes, UC, obesity, etc.)

?? Find your own donor? Not at a good hospital you wouldn't.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Eating poop for weight loss? Whatever happened to doing things just for the romance? Suddenly even hugs and coprophagia have to be about health benefits?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    "Soylent Brown is people!"
    maxresdefault.jpg

People poop, anyway.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Substitute the word "poop" for intestinal flora. And yes it is a thing. Which is showing results.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/328/5975/228.abstract

Thank you for posting those articles! Cool stuff I learned...

1) "Documenting such differences does not mean the discrepancies are responsible for obesity, however. To demonstrate cause and effect, Gordon and his colleagues conducted an elegant series of experiments with so-called humanized mice...The mice ate the same diet in equal amounts, yet the animals that received bacteria from an obese twin grew heavier and had more body fat than mice with microbes from a thin twin. As expected, the fat mice also had a less diverse community of microbes in the gut."

2) "then repeated the experiment with one small twist: after giving the baby mice microbes from their respective twins, they moved the animals into a shared cage. This time both groups remained lean. "

Why did they remain lean?

3) "the mice carrying microbes from the obese human had picked up some of their lean roommates' gut bacteria—especially varieties of Bacteroidetes—probably by consuming their feces, a typical, if unappealing, mouse behavior."

Mice are already more advanced than us on this particular medical discovery...

This is both disgusting and very interesting at the same time. Ok, so even if it is effective, it just seems like there would have to be a better way to get the same results!