Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    x311Tifa wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Japan:

aoyrahbwuc6v.jpg

4ycoy6t0vl3y.jpeg

Is it bad when he said "box diet" I immediately wanted Bento?

That was my thought too, or a box of noodles!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    x311Tifa wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Japan:

aoyrahbwuc6v.jpg

4ycoy6t0vl3y.jpeg

Is it bad when he said "box diet" I immediately wanted Bento?

The difference being that this is for one meal, not the whole day and that it's probably 1000% more nutritious than what OP has in his "box".

Bento FTW. Yuummmm.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hum, my first instinct is to think that this guy is a joker and probably taking the micky. Ha ha, box diet, hilarious! However, having read on I suspect that it might be serious! Is that possible? I am not convinced that putting food into a box makes it good for you. You could fill your box with chopped fruit, veg, salad and lean protein or you could ram it full of chocolate. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of thought about your nutrition involved in this diet and that box would not fill me up and I definitely wouldn't stick to it! I am losing 3lb a week and eating way more than that! I would seriously reconsider this or you will be starving and give up. As for the 0.2 litres of wine, I would have to be allowed a lot more wine than that to compensate for the lack of food! You have a valuable tool here on this website, why not just put in your stats and let the calculator work out how many calories you can have whilst losing weight. Stick to it as best you can and it will work. Best of luck on whatever you decide anyway.

It's like 21 Day Fix, but without any guidelines except "fill the box".
  • Valen004
    Valen004 Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    That is still at least 500 cals under the minimum level you should be eating, not to mention as others have said it is lacking in micronutrients.

Just to clarify things: in order to lose weight you should have a caloric deficit.

Also, it is totally unnecessary to have ALL microelements on EACH given day. If you consume them during the week, it is fine. However, I strongly doubt that anyone is going to be microelements-depprived in case she ate the same exact box contents on every day, which I don't do.

With the regard to "where are veggies", I repeat like for the fourth time: the box contents is non-constant. One day you put in veggies, another day you put meat/fish. It's up to you.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Valen004 wrote: »
    That is still at least 500 cals under the minimum level you should be eating, not to mention as others have said it is lacking in micronutrients.

Just to clarify things: in order to lose weight you should have a caloric deficit.

Also, it is not totally unnecessary to have all microelements on any given day. So if you consume them during the week, it is fine. However, I strongly doubt that anyone is going to be microelements-depprived in case she ate the same exact box contents on every day, which I don't do.

With the regard to "where are veggies", I repeat like for the fourth time: the box contents is non-constant. One day you put in veggies, another day you put meat/fish. It's up to you.

Show us more day's boxes.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So the majority of your calories in the box yesterday came from refined wheat and a spread? Now, at least hummus is a decent food as it's mostly chick peas, but seriously? Then you add on fish scraps, which is what artificial crab meat is, and think you are doing well? Sorry to be so critical but this isn't even close to a good diet.

Those omega-3 'though.
  • Valen004
    Options

Also, it is not totally unnecessary to have all microelements on any given day. So if you consume them during the week, it is fine. However, I strongly doubt that anyone is going to be microelements-depprived in case she ate the same exact box contents on every day, which I don't do.

Show us more day's boxes.

Boxes will follow! Boxing will go on! :-)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Doesn't alcohol deplete vitamins? Most people will be fine, because they are replenishing them daily, but you might be getting a double-whammy if you're taking alcohol but not vitamins.
  • senecarr
    Options

Also, it is totally unnecessary to have ALL microelements on EACH given day. If you consume them during the week, it is fine. However, I strongly doubt that anyone is going to be microelements-depprived in case she ate the same exact box contents on every day, which I don't do.

Most people commenting in this thread are well aware that micros are an over-time thing. That's also part of why catching deficiencies is important - you can trundle along for 2 years before realizing you've been vitamin B-12 deficient and suddenly your body goes through horrible issues as it can't even derive energy from carbohydrates because electron transfers become no bueno.

Really, I think most people are disappointed, you promised a good look at a box but there's clearly not enough veg showing.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    P.S My question really was a question, because it might be an old wives tale (I'm an old wife, I'm allowed!)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I find the idea intriguing. I actually thought about something similar this morning. We are planning to buy a new fridge, so I thought I could pre-plan my meals 3 days in advance and use the old fridge as my personal food control "box".

Now the box you are using is not nearly big enough to contain enough food. If you can only eat the contents of the box, and you somehow fill it all with vegetables, it would contain less than 100 calories of food. Heck, my own vegetable intake in a single meal can fill 3 of your box and I'm losing weight.

Yes, you need to have a caloric deficit, but with this box the deficit can be extreme depending on what you put in it. Because you are a man you burn a lot of calories already, so if you eat a minimum of 1800 calories it will still be a deficit for you. Eating the amount of calories you are eating will cause you to lose a lot of muscle and you may end up not liking the way you look at your goal weight. Preserving muscle with the right amount of food and exercise is much better and easier than trying to regain it later, which takes a lot of time and effort.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Yes...to lose weight...a calorie deficit is required. No one is arguing that fact.

What we are trying to tell you is that you have too large of a deficit to be healthy.

There is nothing wrong with portioning out your food for the day if that works for you. You just need to be smarter about what and how much that you are putting in that box.

Have you considered measuring out your food by meals? Maybe one container for your breakfast...one for lunch...then dinner? Even one for a snack. All of these combined should add up to at least 1800 for a 30 y/o male with only 25lbs to lose. That would still leave you 200 calories for your wine giving you a total of 2000 calories for the day. At 2000 calories you should still be in a deficit.

Yes you might lose a little slower but you will lose in a lot healthier manner especially if you include foods from each food group.

I think that we are missing something in this picture. Surely you understand that a 1000 calories of food for a grown man is not enough to sustain your health.

• senecarr
    Options
    Give yourself a few more containers and you might get into something like these:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm well aware of how calorie deficits work. I'm not sure that you are however. Yes a calorie deficit is required to lose weight, your CI needs to be less than your CO. However as a 30 year old male your CO should be well over 2000 calories and so the calorie deficit you need is only about 250-500 calories to lose the weight you desire. If you exercise, you can eat even more. Have you bothered to take the time to enter your stats and goals into the MFP set up to see how many calories the system recommends for you to eat in order to lose 1 lb/week? Even that may be too aggressive for you, 0.5 lb/week is probably better.

I'm also aware that it is macro and micronutrient balance over time that counts but until you show us that you understand that eating more food and more variety of food is important people are going to continue to rely on the only information and only picture you've provided.

Lastly, why would you fill the box with fruits and veggies one day and meat/fish another day? Why not eat a variety of all those things every day, in a moderate deficit, and lose weight the way this program is designed? If you want to stick with the box concept that's fine but please start by figuring out how many calories you need.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I'm well aware of how calorie deficits work. I'm not sure that you are however. Yes a calorie deficit is required to lose weight, your CI needs to be less than your CO. However as a 30 year old male your CO should be well over 2000 calories and so the calorie deficit you need is only about 250-500 calories to lose the weight you desire. If you exercise, you can eat even more. Have you bothered to take the time to enter your stats and goals into the MFP set up to see how many calories the system recommends for you to eat in order to lose 1 lb/week? Even that may be too aggressive for you, 0.5 lb/week is probably better.

I'm also aware that it is macro and micronutrient balance over time that counts but until you show us that you understand that eating more food and more variety of food is important people are going to continue to rely on the only information and only picture you've provided.

Lastly, why would you fill the box with fruits and veggies one day and meat/fish another day? Why not eat a variety of all those things every day, in a moderate deficit, and lose weight the way this program is designed? If you want to stick with the box concept that's fine but please start by figuring out how many calories you need.

Seems that if he puts in vegetables everyday he can't put in meat or fish. Apparently, he just can't think outside the box...oh you knew that joke would show up some time! ;)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Give yourself a few more containers and you might get into something like these:
    senecarr wrote: »

That was an inspiring site!

I just wonder how those meals taste after being in the frig for a week. I cook enough at one time for at least a couple of meals. I notice however after being in the frig 2 or 3 days that my veggies just don't taste the same.

OP...there is a thread on MFP about bento boxes...it might give you some ideas about prepackaging your meals.

We are only trying to help...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sorry but I always thought protein was a daily requirement .. that's under 50g protein in your day

also severely lacking in fat

as well as micro nutrients

and calories

and deliciousness

• senecarr
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry but I always thought protein was a daily requirement .. that's under 50g protein in your day

also severely lacking in fat

as well as micro nutrients

and calories

and deliciousness

Pretty much. You can store carbs as glycogen for a while, and you can fats nearly indefinitely in fat cells. Protein gets broken into free amino acids that will generally deplete over 24 hours, though the liver will store some to time release. You can also tear apart lean tissues to keep levels sufficient, but it wouldn't be my recommendation.
  • Valen004
    Options
    Fast vegetable day
    86s7eqe8npun.jpg
    4hduohq3jxjt.jpg

After some two 1300 cal/days there is a fast vegetable day. Probably 500 cal/day. Approximately 1.5 kg total of tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper,onion and some dill.
    2.JPG 895.7K
    1.JPG 1.1M