anyone else tired of weightlifting?

Options

Replies

• amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I got tired of it. More so, got tired of being IN a gym when it was so nice outside. I live in Maine and winter is like 9 months out of the year. So, I started running and hiking more. I signed up for obstacle races and trained for those outside.

I suggest looking into obstacle races. You NEED upper body strength for most of it so it forces you to train.

Also, as others mentioned; take some time off or try new things. Take a few yoga classes. I always feel strong after a 90 min heated vinyassa class. Planks ALL DAY. Go to a rock climbling gym. Try kickboxing.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The gym is my favourite part of the day, what better feeling can you get then being all pumped up? :)

i don't get that feeling

Well if you're really lacking that motivation caffeine pills, or just coffee, craze or c4 extreme pre-workouts also help get me going but that's just personal preference. If that's not the case then you obviously aren't really that fussed with the gym? also you mentioned PR's I lift because I enjoy it more than wanting to lift some insane weight.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The gym is my favourite part of the day, what better feeling can you get then being all pumped up? :)

i don't get that feeling

Well if you're really lacking that motivation caffeine pills, or just coffee, craze or c4 extreme pre-workouts also help get me going but that's just personal preference. If that's not the case then you obviously aren't really that fussed with the gym? also you mentioned PR's I lift because I enjoy it more than wanting to lift some insane weight.

right but where do you see progress then if you can't lift more weight?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

i don't get that feeling

right but where do you see progress then if you can't lift more weight?

You should see progress if you are not over training and/or under eating.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So i've been lifting for about the last year. Things were going well, and then all of a sudden.i just stopped caring, i saw some results but i really haven't gotten any new PR's in a long time. The only thing I have been progressing on is Deadlift. I have been running alot recently and I find that I am progressing faster when it comes to running. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Thoughts? (Trolls welcome as well, its gonna happen anyway)

Do whatever you enjoy, don't stick with one particular activity just because you think you should or somebody says you should.

Exercise is a lot easier when you enjoy it, that's for sure.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the idea of cutting down to 3x per week with a full body routine. Do your running on the non-lifting days (that's what I do). Have you looked at Starting Strength or Stronglifts?

I also think it is normal for people to get discouraged. You are feeling insecure and not seeing the results, but you are there 6 times a week! You put in a lot of effort and the only thing you get is the feeling of being laughed at? Yes, that could get old.

BUT: do what YOU want to do. If you want to lift, then you'll either have to ignore the jerks, change the time you go, or find a new gym. OR... maybe you could talk to them, and get them to help? That way, you'd have buddies in the gym to check form, encourage you, push you.

If you do end up deciding not to lift, then don't lift. Lots of people just run, and if you find you love that then stick with it. I personally like lifting, and think that it has many benefits - it'll make you run faster, for a start! But don't do something that is making you miserable, or you might end up just throwing everything away. Maybe just take a short break, then try again with a fresh program and a fresh attitude?

In the end, it's up to you. Do what you want to meet your goals. And have fun! Good luck!
  • thekyleo
    Options
    I'd agree with the idea of cutting down to 3x per week with a full body routine. Do your running on the non-lifting days (that's what I do). Have you looked at Starting Strength or Stronglifts?

I also think it is normal for people to get discouraged. You are feeling insecure and not seeing the results, but you are there 6 times a week! You put in a lot of effort and the only thing you get is the feeling of being laughed at? Yes, that could get old.

BUT: do what YOU want to do. If you want to lift, then you'll either have to ignore the jerks, change the time you go, or find a new gym. OR... maybe you could talk to them, and get them to help? That way, you'd have buddies in the gym to check form, encourage you, push you.

If you do end up deciding not to lift, then don't lift. Lots of people just run, and if you find you love that then stick with it. I personally like lifting, and think that it has many benefits - it'll make you run faster, for a start! But don't do something that is making you miserable, or you might end up just throwing everything away. Maybe just take a short break, then try again with a fresh program and a fresh attitude?

In the end, it's up to you. Do what you want to meet your goals. And have fun! Good luck!

Thank you, probably the most useful advice on this thread
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    so is this correct?

You started lifting 12months ago on a 6x a week bb type split?
    You have since lost 70lbs while doing that as well as other exercise?
    You are now unable to lift any more weight on your current routine?

IDK if anybody has asked yet, but what is your current routine?
  • thekyleo
    Options
    so is this correct?

yup is correct.

Routine is

Chest/Biceps

Back/Tris/Shoulders

Legs/abs

Cardio usually on my lunch hour at work
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    so is this correct?

yup is correct.

Routine is

Chest/Biceps

Back/Tris/Shoulders

Legs/abs

If you want some help you are going to need to be more specific. What exercises, sets & reps. What weight did you start at? what are you at now? When have you deloaded?
  • thekyleo
    Options
    so is this correct?

yup is correct.

Routine is

Chest/Biceps

Back/Tris/Shoulders

Legs/abs

If you want some help you are going to need to be more specific. What exercises, sets & reps. What weight did you start at? what are you at now? When have you deloaded?

never deloaded

started doing 5x5 for every excercise. Now i do 4 sets of 12 10 8 8

Bench:
    started 115
    now 140

Squat
    started 135
    now 165

Deadlift
    started 135
    now 305

OHP
    started 45
    now 65
    can't do a pull up or muscle up

i don't know what else you want for weights/sets reps or excercises
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    At those numbers, I'd then start 5/3/1 with 5x10 big but boring assistance. If you are eating enough and resting enough there is no reason why you won't progress. It has a mixture of high and low reps which is good for strength and hypertrophy. Good luck :)

Oh and pullups with resistance band. Then go lighter, and lighter until you are unassisted.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    At those numbers, I'd then start 5/3/1 with 5x10 big but boring assistance. If you are eating enough and resting enough there is no reason why you won't progress. It has a mixture of high and low reps which is good for strength and hypertrophy. Good luck :)

Oh and pullups with resistance band. Then go lighter, and lighter until you are unassisted.

what is 5/3/1 and i'm probably not eating or resting enough
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Running and Lifting kind of work against each other... especially if you don't have the correct nutrition to back it. Double check your macros on www.iifym.com.
  • hide_yo_cats
    hide_yo_cats Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No.
    Because dat *kitten*.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    i already had my macros checked out by a nutritionist
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So i've been lifting for about the last year. Things were going well, and then all of a sudden.i just stopped caring, i saw some results but i really haven't gotten any new PR's in a long time. The only thing I have been progressing on is Deadlift. I have been running alot recently and I find that I am progressing faster when it comes to running. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Thoughts? (Trolls welcome as well, its gonna happen anyway)

Sometimes a person can become stale mentally, this is especially true regarding exercise. Hell, I have done that myself, became stale with running and I adore running!

The quote "A change is as good as a rest" is very true., You can either take a rest from weights for a while or completely change your weights routine. However, one thing is for sure, you will be unable to continue, day in, day out, doing what you were doing because you have become stale, and bored with it.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I just MOVE!!! I lift weights, I walk, I play golf, I bike, I play tennis, I run, I use an elliptical/treadmill, whatever gets me off my *kitten* and using my body to do something other than making an indentation on my sofa. Just do SOMETHING!
  • chrisdavey
    Options

do you want me to lift the weights for you too?

try the google machine
  • thekyleo
    Options

do you want me to lift the weights for you too?

try the google machine

i mean if you could that would be great
This discussion has been closed.