I'm tired, cranky now I read Kate Upton is fat?!

Options

Replies

• whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hell no she isn't fat, sometimes people say stuff like that just to get an outraged reaction. She does look a little untoned around her mid-section however, which would be an incredibly snarky thing to say about someone who didn't have her profession. It is literally her job to be toned.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    She's not fat, but I do find her weight average and that's not good enough for a model.

We need more average models. These really thin, airbrushed ones we have are the reason why so many girls have eating disorders.

What do we need average models for? We have average people everywhere. Models are supposed to represent a FANTASY. We can't handle the fact that we aren't perfect so we have to make art that's mediocre? C'mon.

Modeling is art now?

News flash-- most models aren't meant to be healthy or attractive, they're meant to be clothes hangers in pretty much every sense.

Models are not art. Photography and fashion design are art. Models bodies are props that are used in a careful composition. Deal with it. If I'm trying to create a specific image, I'm not going to sacrifice that image by using a model that doesn't fit just because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. Peoples' feelings are irrelevant in aesthetics. If Kate Upton is useful as a model it's because some fraction of the population is comforted by seeing the image of a fatter woman. That's fine. It's also pandering.

You sound like a talking eating disorder.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This is glorious. I haven't been on the forums in 6+ months and it's nice to see nothing has changed.

For the record, I would bang Kate Upton.

:drinker:

Me too pudge and all!
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    the industry want models to be 0 thats gross come on now

Seriously?

How is your comment any better than those calling Kate Upton fat?

INORITE! Body shaming is body shaming and the real disgusting thing in this thread.

QFT
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Who?

This was my thought, too.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Can't believe nobody have posted this yet

ixCaC4yIxYAev.gif

um.

a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

amirite?
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    When I saw her on the cover of sports illustrated, I was like, "Wow; they put a plus size model on the cover. That's progressive." She's not "fat" for a person walking on the street, but she certainly has at least 2 times the body fat of a standard model. Why does she get paid for that? I think models should have to work for it... Their job is to look good... That's all they have to do. And she doesn't bother to work out? That's just lazy.

This is a joke, right?

Oh I certainly hope so how in the world does she look anything like a plus size model really........... really :noway:

Your idea of plus size model and what the people in the fashion world consider a plus size model are most likely different.

Robyn Lawley is considered the current face of plus size modeling. I tend to drool when I see her.

Robyn-Lawley-for-Boux-Avenue-01.jpg

Mind.Blown.

That's not at all what I think of a "plus sized".. the is 6'2 and 180 lbs with a 32" waist. Her BMI is 23.1 which is considered "normal".... so why is this plus sized?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I saw her on the cover of sports illustrated, I was like, "Wow; they put a plus size model on the cover. That's progressive." She's not "fat" for a person walking on the street, but she certainly has at least 2 times the body fat of a standard model. Why does she get paid for that? I think models should have to work for it... Their job is to look good... That's all they have to do. And she doesn't bother to work out? That's just lazy.

This is a joke, right?

Oh I certainly hope so how in the world does she look anything like a plus size model really........... really :noway:

Your idea of plus size model and what the people in the fashion world consider a plus size model are most likely different.

Robyn Lawley is considered the current face of plus size modeling. I tend to drool when I see her.

Mind.Blown.

That's not at all what I think of a "plus sized".. the is 6'2 and 180 lbs with a 32" waist. Her BMI is 23.1 which is considered "normal".... so why is this plus sized?
    In modeling, plus-sized is size 8 and above. Possibly even size 6.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

This is a joke, right?

Mind.Blown.

Look at it from the fashion POV (which basically defines the "models"). I mean every girl that walks in the agencies or the fashion shows etc is compared with Kate Moss, Elle Mcpherson etc. So naturally, compared to those girls, these girls (albeit healthy and fit) are... plus size.

Also, most of the fashion designers design their clothes for the uppidy, pill popping, drug snorting, food purging, 600 calories eating crowd (sorry if I offended anyone by that description) so for those designers who aren't used to designing clothes for "normal" girls these are plus size.

From Kate Moss to Kate Upton. I like the trend of allowing more variety and healthy. Not saying the girls who are NATURALLY the size 0 like Kate Moss aren't healthy but when you develop and ED ("nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" was Moss's motto I believe?) then thats not natural.
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    She's not fat, but I do find her weight average and that's not good enough for a model.

We need more average models. These really thin, airbrushed ones we have are the reason why so many girls have eating disorders.

What do we need average models for? We have average people everywhere. Models are supposed to represent a FANTASY. We can't handle the fact that we aren't perfect so we have to make art that's mediocre? C'mon.

Modeling is art now?

News flash-- most models aren't meant to be healthy or attractive, they're meant to be clothes hangers in pretty much every sense.

Models are not art. Photography and fashion design are art. Models bodies are props that are used in a careful composition. Deal with it. If I'm trying to create a specific image, I'm not going to sacrifice that image by using a model that doesn't fit just because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. Peoples' feelings are irrelevant in aesthetics. If Kate Upton is useful as a model it's because some fraction of the population is comforted by seeing the image of a fatter woman. That's fine. It's also pandering.

You sound like a talking eating disorder.

Amen Sister!
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    Can't believe nobody have posted this yet

ixCaC4yIxYAev.gif

um.

a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

amirite?

More than rite!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Lets everyone rally around popular safe opinions and just tear apart those who don't agree or have the balls to take unpopular opinions. Then lets all pat ourselves and eachother on the back for all being so "good."

that pretty much sums up MFP to a T.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Lets everyone rally around popular safe opinions and just tear apart those who don't agree or have the balls to take unpopular opinions. Then lets all pat ourselves and eachother on the back for all being so "good."

please. By all means. Start a "every one is mean here" thread where you can call people "bullies" and insist that people should be supported in all things. That'll just bring this full circle.

hieroglyphics.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Withdrawn.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

please. By all means. Start a "every one is mean here" thread where you can call people "bullies" and insist that people should be supported in all things. That'll just bring this full circle.

you've got the momentum..you do it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    calling Kate Upton fat is like when you call a 5th string wide receiver slow. they are slow compared to their peers. against the average public? not so much.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    the industry want models to be 0 thats gross come on now

oh for SHAME a model be a size 0. Good grief.... I think all sizes are beautiful from a healthy 0 to Kate Upton and all in between and up. What's gross is body shaming size 0.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Victoria Secret/Supermodel/Bikini Model standards I can see how she could be, but honestly from my perspective her figure is covetable.

She would only be a UK size 10-12 (I use that because Australian's sizes uses pretty much the same methodology)

In saying that her covers make her look more petite...As they say 'Air brushing works a gem'
  • melb_alex
    Options
    p.s any size can be perceived as beautiful.

You can still have a healthy size 0; depends on the body composition.

Some girls are just petite and can not help it?

You can generally differentiate an anorexic/bulimic person from a naturally skinny person.
  • melb_alex
    Options

This is a joke, right?

Mind.Blown.

Look at it from the fashion POV (which basically defines the "models"). I mean every girl that walks in the agencies or the fashion shows etc is compared with Kate Moss, Elle Mcpherson etc. So naturally, compared to those girls, these girls (albeit healthy and fit) are... plus size.

Also, most of the fashion designers design their clothes for the uppidy, pill popping, drug snorting, food purging, 600 calories eating crowd (sorry if I offended anyone by that description) so for those designers who aren't used to designing clothes for "normal" girls these are plus size.

From Kate Moss to Kate Upton. I like the trend of allowing more variety and healthy. Not saying the girls who are NATURALLY the size 0 like Kate Moss aren't healthy but when you develop and ED ("nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" was Moss's motto I believe?) then thats not natural.

agreed couldn't have said it better myself.