WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi gals,
    Becca – I love the chef idea making you extra special food!

CJ – amazing!!!

Sylvia – love that you are back to typing 2 handed… later post – and that son and hubby are stepping up, it is good for you to see that Dson can when he has too… and will depend on you when you let him…

KJ- great idea on the walk!

So I started reading just fine, then got so exhausted I just read… hugs to all.

Kim from N. California

Actually, I have an area on my wall that I put my printed out food journal from here. So I just "follow the recipe" for my meals. Just cook and eat what I planned. It takes out the guess work!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    KJLaMore thanks for the encouragement friend! Yep I am getting it done... I feel so smart about this all, not that scared I'm gonna mess up any moment feeling.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Heather UK Follow me.....OH I'm sooo gonna love this.....OK "walk this way" (doing a jig and scratching me armpit)....EVERYONE FOLLOW.....hahahahahahaha.....
    Becca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    CJ - we are trying sooooooo hard. Now DH is locked out of his bt email address because I tried to make a complaint that way. Twitter is full of complaints. Whole forums devoted to how s### they are. Now we can't get into the website at all to check bills or get sport or anything. Two emails we found through Google bounced back. The one to the CEO might have made it through. This is a national company and has a monopoly on the infrastructure. Complete and utter b÷××=$#@#. We will see if they ring us back tomorrow. Don't hold your breath. I tried to do a chat thing and that didn't work. Nothing works. :sad:

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: I cook the meals we love, & carefully measure my portions to count the calories and stay under my daily goal. It works really well. I am a person who considers CICO the best plan. (Calories In, Calories Out.) I doubt a guaranteed successful meal plan can do any better, but there are some very expensive premade meals out there for sale. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Heather: How soon do you depart for your cruise? I'm starting to get excited with you. :smiley: I hope your phone/internet woes get sorted out soon. Is this a private company or a government operated system? Do you need to get your government representatives involved? :huh:

Ceekat & COL55EUS: Welcome to a great group! To find us again, click on the blank star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow. The next time you want to find the thread, go to "community" and click on the gray star. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I remember the saying, "three's a crowd." I grew up an only child in a family of three and wished for siblings. In social groups of girls, three can definitely be difficult. Are boys any better? :huh:

Miriam: the park/garden photo is gorgeous. I love the clock at the corner. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Headwind or tailwind? Get warm and dry. :smiley:

Yoga today was wonderful. I saw something on the internet that inspired me to try to learn a balance skill. I am trying to learn to sit down crossed legged and rise again crossed legged without using my hands. People who can do it will supposedly live a longer, healthier life. I'm great at the sitting down half of the problem, but struggling with the getting up part. I asked my yoga teacher for help and he had some advice, but I'm not quite there yet. :noway: :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Meg from Omaha – Gray; supposed to rain later on today. Hubby got a job that will be a ‘life-saver’ for us; it will probably take them a month to finish; 21 condos, all one floor; no two need the same work. Might get some inside work out of this – which might mean some steady work. Put in a bid today on another job. Maybe we can put some back into my retirement account because we’ve gone to it more than we’d like to. Today they went to power-wash a house and the machine did not work; out-of-town job (not like they could run into town and pick up a new one; so they are doing it by hand. UGH! Late day, grumpy, too. Electricians came today, so happy that the guy that came and got the details is no longer with them. IF they had sent him, I know I would not have been happy. He was talking about running conduit along the walls. Owner came and he drilled through the floor and wall and don’t have any conduits showing. YEAH! Got an outlet up high on the wall so we can put a TV out on the glassed-in porch on a swing arm. Extra outlet out there, too. Fixed the one that about shocked me when I tried to pry the surge protector that had melted again the outlet. New outlet under window in den; new swing arm lamps on either side of double window; now we can read without having extension cords running all behind the chairs. Motion detectors replace on both corners in the back.

De-cluttering our MBR bath – has taken me 2 days to do it. I got so frustrated trying to reach over the tub that I dumped every time inside it; and now, down to the brass bones. Almost done. I had to take a break. 4:00pm – back at it.

Cracker is now asleep; she did not like being in her crate until they got all their stuff inside; then she went outside. I told Brad that she would have bugged them to death if I did not put her out.

Yvonne in Texas – My DDnL#1 uses cauliflower just like mashed potatoes. Says it is much better ‘hot’; so I could not give you my opinion about how they really tasted. That, and I had eaten something a little earlier and wasn’t hungry. Cooks them, mashes them up; but, I don’t know what type of spices she puts in it. My best friend has pieces of various upholstery material that she is going to do something with ‘someday’. She has them ‘neatly’ stacked in her cabinet in her bedroom. She’s given me a few pieces to make things out of it.

Marcelynh – My husband talks about ‘that’s what the girl at the picnic said’. It’s an inside joke between us; and, his way of saying, ‘I’m stressed …!’ I start looking around to see what I can do to get him out of a stressful situation.

Michelle in NC – Does the gear in the ‘yellow’ part (once you indicate that you want to ‘edit’ show up? That’s where I go to delete a post. I hit the gear; put my cursor in the yellow part, highlight it and hit delete. I don’t know how this would work on any type of tablet or phone or anything. I works here on my laptop. I got so upset when they closed the SteinMart in Albany. Shopped all the time there. They have one in Columbus; but, I doubt I’d go up there just to ‘look’. I usually buy most of my clothes now from Belk’s (which here is a ‘nice’ store). I’ve even bought several tops from K-Mart. Anything I buy I make sure that it has multiple purposes.

Miriam – My mother always bought her fabric from Hancock’s. They had a huge selection. They have a huge one at the ‘new’ mall in Macon, GA. I’d have a problem working in a bookstore because of the ‘art’ and ‘decorating’ sections.

Becca – A close friend of mine used to get all sorts of compliments on her ‘homemade’ creamed corn. She’d buy 4 packages of Stouffer’s Cream Corn, cook it until done and had a nice brown topping on it (NOT burnt); and, would dump them into a glass bowl and take them to work whenever they had a party.
    I think this Thanksgiving I am going to make my grandmother squash casserole (which is made only of yellow squash. My DOGD does our dressing (I think it is the same one that my sister’s MnL used). You cook ‘regular’ cornbread the night before (meal cornmeal, not sweet cornbread). She usually makes a squash casserole with both yellow and zucchini squash in it. It’s good; but, I’d like to see my family’s reaction to my Mimi’s recipe.
    I cook my turkey ‘upside down’ (breast side down) … it doesn’t dry out nearly as much. Of course, it sort of comes apart, too. I’ve always been taught to break the wings and tunk them under the skin on the back to keep them from ‘flying away’.

Joyce – Christmas before last; I gave my soon-to-be-DDnL#2 ½ of the crocheted snowflakes that my Mimi had made (about 75 of them). She and DGD#4 decorated a small tree at his place at the lake. She said he came in and went over to the tree and put his arms around it. He’d never had a Christmas tree before. DDnL#2 was ‘amazed’. My sister and BnL did not have one for 14 years; until she got pregnant with her first baby. DH has painted for people who have a special closet under their stairs and roll the tree, decorations and all into that closet for the next year. I used my macramé Christmas tree that my mother made and weaved lights through the back of it. I don’t think I will have any other Christmas tree. Did not take up much room (just in front of the 2nd bedroom door) and it looked fabulous. My sisters were disappointed that I had chosen it as a part of my inheritance from our Mother. Both wanted it … NAHDA!!!!!

KLJ – When DH and I were first married; I was surprised that ‘they’ did not put up a Christmas tree until Christmas Eve and then left it up until The Epiphany. We put ours up shortly after Thanksgiving (the Saturday of the 1st week of December; and, that sucker comes down the day after Christmas (but, at least before the New Year). Like throwing out the old year before the New Year comes in. We had several discussions about which tradition we’d follow. Our neighbors down the road leave theirs up; and turn it on at night for a long time after Christmas. I figured that neither one of them wanted to take it down ‘too soon’.
    I made a 15-bean soup (used dry beans – never had before). I was concerned that they were still hard a as a rock the next day after soaking all night; but, I cooked them. Problem was I used the only soup cooker I had; and burnt it. I did not think to pour it out before I stirred it … so it was ruined! I was so upset – DH tried to make me feel better; but, the weather was cold and we were looking forward to have soup. I threw the pot out, too; and, bought one with a heavy bottom. The old one had bowed up in the middle.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    katla - ALWAYS a headwind :0(
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Becca high five!

Katla good question about the boys?

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Did another online chat until the broadband cut out. They say they are going to ring tomorrow. They said they checked the line and it was fine. NOT!
    Emailed our local TV station.
    Will ring Ofcom tomorrow, the government regulator. BT need to have their monopoly taken away from them.
    Hope DH 's email to the CEO gets through.
    The internet is full of people ranting about this company.
    Hope I sleep tonight. :ohwell:

Heather UK
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    CJ - we are trying sooooooo hard. Now DH is locked out of his bt email address because I tried to make a complaint that way. Twitter is full of complaints. Whole forums devoted to how s### they are. Now we can't get into the website at all to check bills or get sport or anything. Two emails we found through Google bounced back. The one to the CEO might have made it through. This is a national company and has a monopoly on the infrastructure. Complete and utter b÷××=$#@#. We will see if they ring us back tomorrow. Don't hold your breath. I tried to do a chat thing and that didn't work. Nothing works. :sad:

Heather UK

I know someonewho called the local media and the response was lighting fast after the story came out.
    CJ
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Kjlamore just high lights and a trim. Nothing drastically different. I keep forgetting to change my profile pic. My hair is shorter and straight now.

Hit the gym today for an hour worked on upper body Get a new tattoo on my shoulder or shoulders tomorrow depends how long it takes him to do the first one. So no working upper body for a week. Must be the week for me doing things for me.

Have been up since 3 this morning no sleep for me. Lol

Heather no Internet access would drive me this time of year. Nothing to do outside in the cold.

Anne from WI
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    We don't even want to discuss today. Thank you to whomever said you could list "binge" as an eating choice. It's too embarrassing to put down what I really binged on but at least I'm honest about the calorie intake.... *sigh* And yesterday I walked 8 miles.

ACTUALLY I think that my activity yesterday led to my binging today because I didn't eat back enough calories.

In other news it has rained here in Houston land and for some odd reason my watermelon seed refuses to germinate.

Marcelyn
  • Annr
    Options
    Oh do we have a full kitchen now!! Bought all my favorite things, so MY area is filled too. For some reason my food is separate from sons, and husbands. It makes me feel darn special, and I like to see my food all separated in each section of the 6 cubbie book shelf.
    I have my snack area with prunes, Wassa crispbread, protein and granola bars, and healthy popcorn.
    Then my soup making area with chicken stock, different cans of beans
    I have an Italian area with sauces and pastas.
    I have my breakfast area with Stash Teas,Truvia sweetener box, honey and a bag of Red Mill granola,
    I have a canned veggies, fruit, dried cranberries, walnuts and slivered almonds cubbie.
    Finally an Asian area with tuna, wild rice, and seaweed.

In my frig. I bought red grapefruit, baby brie's, feta cheese, turkey slices, broccoli, almond milk, Tillamook yogurt, zucchini, 2 stalks of rhubarb, blackberries and shiitake' mushrooms.

In my freezer I have tilapia, two large scallops, frozen blueberries, oat and bran bread, Vans buckwheat waffles, and one oz pieces of kielbasa.

OK that is how a healthy Queen eats I tell you!! I don't spoil myself too often but today I did. No pigging out for me, its all great stuff, so I want to make it last!!

How is your pantry? Have your items in order?? Run a mean pantry and throw out things if you need to. It's like getting your troops in order for a great battle (of the mid-section)!!

Oh, today my loss at TOPS was recorded as 3.6 lbs! I was the "featherweight" of the week, they sang a song, and I got the fruit basket with about $6 in quarters (for the members that didn't bring a piece of fruit its 50 cents) so I was happy about that.

Becca
    Oregon
  • senjy
    senjy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all, hope you are enjoying this beautiful spring. I am hoping for some sage advice here. I love the app, and have been logging for about three weeks now. I am 58, 5 foot 8. It is really, really hard, and I don't seem to be losing much weight (2 pounds). BUT I am now aware, finally, of how much I was eating before. My goal is to lose 30 pounds and get my fitness back...nine years ago I had a bout with breast cancer, which I obviously survived, but I feel I'm only getting back my real self the last year or two. During chemo, I gained 20 pounds in two weeks and it has never come off!!! I want to be in shape to have more fun and do outdoor stuff, like swimming and riding (which I used to love). SO: water, cardio 3X week, strength 2X week, careful portion control. Does that work for all of you?? Claire
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Welcome Claire- Sounds like you know what you need to do and are ready to get it done! Nice goals! It doesn't matter if it works for us; does it work for YOU??? Yea! Another member of the 5'8 club! Glad you are cancer free and feeling good! Glad you found us, come visit and join in often!
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    senjy wrote: »
    Hey all, hope you are enjoying this beautiful spring. I am hoping for some sage advice here. I love the app, and have been logging for about three weeks now. I am 58, 5 foot 8. It is really, really hard, and I don't seem to be losing much weight (2 pounds). BUT I am now aware, finally, of how much I was eating before. My goal is to lose 30 pounds and get my fitness back...nine years ago I had a bout with breast cancer, which I obviously survived, but I feel I'm only getting back my real self the last year or two. During chemo, I gained 20 pounds in two weeks and it has never come off!!! I want to be in shape to have more fun and do outdoor stuff, like swimming and riding (which I used to love). SO: water, cardio 3X week, strength 2X week, careful portion control. Does that work for all of you?? Claire

As a friend said to me it takes awhile to put the weight on but we expect it to go away quicker. Never really thought of it that way before. Just keep working on it you will see the results. Until I started logging the food I was eating I had no idea how bad some of it was. I have been on the maintaining side for several years. Hang in there you have a plan.

Anne from WI
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sounds like people are doing okay for the most part except for Internet snafus.

Ladies, I will never get around to reading all the pages I missed...y'all are writing so much the past couple of days!

Welcome to the new people--I find this page to be a great welcoming place and hope you do too.

Made it through Day 2 of bfv--back from vacation. Under goal, went on the elliptical and did not eat back any calories. The scale at the Y is busted so I hope I have a chance to lose something before it gets replaced and I have to step on it.

I looked at Becca's list of fridge items and it sounds like she invited us to a party haha!! So much good stuff!

I hope the weather warms up soon so I can "play" out in the yard--there is so much to do. Has anybody had any success transplanting roses? I am going to do it anyway because this one bush gets hardly any sun but if anybody has any tips let me know.

We walked in this beautiful park on vacation. It is in PA and there was a field of huge boulders. Not the best for hiking !
    6c05ckmnnt2u.jpeg

Betty
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Claire: Losing two pounds in three weeks is PROGRESS! Portion control and calorie counting are essential. Exercise is the third piece of the triangle. You are making progress and doing the right things to be successful. Congratulations! :star:

DD's Brother-in-Law is in the hospital on oxygen and not doing well. His prognosis is poor. He's in his mid-thirties, and his wife is pregnant with #2. Please keep this family in your prayers. :broken_heart::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • senjy
    senjy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the fridge full of goodies!! Thanks for the boost ladies!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Betty, I have transplanted roses before. They do have deep roots, but will survive even if you cannot get all the roots. Roses need full sun, no crowding to avoid fungus diseases (air circulation is good), and are "heavy feeders" (need lots of compost! or fertilizer if you go that route) and need frequent watering at the base. So I usually throw a few shovel fulls of compost into the hole before I put the rose in. Be sure to plant it at the same height it was. And apply 2" or more of mulch to keep the weeds down around it.