WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a Complete Strength Training DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a cardio core DVD

Welcome everyone new!

Volunteered at the Green Room today. The guys came along with the electrician about the pump. The electrician determined that it must be the motor. They took the pump back to the store. Hopefully, Hayward will do something for this.

The Democratic debate is on TV right now, sounds interesting. I'm going to make this short so I can see it.

Sprayed the worm on the log and the dolphin so they are now ready to go outside. We're running out of room in the garage to put them!!!! Now I think I'm mainly going to work on things that can be hung on the pergola.

Carol/peach - all of my ceramic "creations" are going out by the pool for color and decoration.

CJ - there is this one type of paint that when you put it on, it gets darker as it goes into the creases and crevices. That's how that's accomplished. Then I put the "no fire snow" on the tips of the waves. I was told that it would stand up, so we shall see......

Beth - the dolphin is 12" tall. Congrats to your son

Marcelyn - I never eat back my exercise calories. If I did, I wouldn't lose (that's happened before). If I go over, at least I know I have a "buffer"

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Beth – Great news. Sometimes our kids have a vision about what they want; and, surprise us about it and we are just dumbfounded. Our DYS decided he wanted to be a Wildlife Biologist and work where he’d be ‘outside’ and could ‘hunt and fish’ anytime he wanted to. He went for it, got it, had to pay out-of-state tuition and we had made him ‘get his own financing’ because he had had to ‘drop out of the previous school for a stupid reason’. We made him get a job; and, his boss was someone who gave him the names of the best schools to go to in order to get his degree. When you love what you do for a living, you’ll never work a day in your life. Sounds like your son knows where he wants to be and what it will take to ‘get what he wants’. Good for him.

Marcelynh – No, I don’t eat back my calories. If you are 'maintaining your weight you can do this'. Personally, I think it is sort of against the point of CICO. I know how many CI I am supposed to have; and, I try to plan out my meals to stay very close to it. It makes me feel good to ‘know’ that the CO that I am doing is going to be helping me ‘lose weight’. If you eat them back, then chances are you are setting yourself up to fail at losing weight. If you have a ‘sweet’ spot’ or ‘sweet tooth’ you should not deprive yourself of a ‘taste’; just a ‘taste’ can satisfy that. My suggestion would be to buy a bag of individual candies … and only reward yourself with one when you cannot eat back your calories to stay up with your CI. Lock them up; or have someone ‘hide’ them if necessary. Eat it slowly … savor every bite and don’t gobble it down in one bite. I don’t have a ‘sweet tooth’ … but, I do like to have something sweet every now and then. My husband can sometimes kill my diet/life-style change bringing home ‘sweets’. I was very proud of myself the other night when I decided not to eat a piece of pie. That meant he had 2 nights of pie. I make a cream cheese pecan pie; and, I get the first piece; small one … and I enjoy watching my family eat the rest of it. Hang in there. We’ve all had struggles. We’re here for you. Just a suggestion or two.

Becca – I LOVE tacos … I really throw off my CI and there is no amount of CO that makes up for that; so, I usually eat them on ‘date night’ (one night a weekend every couple of weeks) … Then I have to work extra hard the rest of the week. I try to do my ‘binge’ tacos on the first weekend AFTER weigh-in day. Maybe then I can work them off over the next week-and-a-half. I have several T-shirts (I wear around the house); and, one of my favorite sayings is: “I don’t SUFFER from mental illness; I enjoy every minute of it.” When one of my ‘stressors’ comes over … I make sure I put one of them on. Or my DH and I can bring up the subject of ‘sex’ … For them, WTI and they can’t imagine it. It, at least, occurred 3x! Imagine that … they also did it a few times, too. Why is it that we can’t imagine anybody over the age of 50 having what is natural?

Miriam – Better to have fallen off a ladder; than to have ‘made’ a ladder out of a stool, a rolling chair, and a table and then having to ‘explain’ that ‘stupid move’ to an EMT. Tore my right rotator cuff which required surgery. Then, a couple of years late, had a seizure and fell again, tearing the same shoulder. I wasn’t even ‘climbing’ that time. DH bought me a ladder for my kitchen; however, I can undo it; but, it is so tight that I can’t put it back in its place. I’d think that lugging a ladder around and putting it up and down would be akin to ‘weight lifting’.

Katla – I’m near my goal; but, I also intend on losing a few more, just for a buffer. I love your Tibetan Proverb.

Gayle – Wild Turkeys (all, even domesticated, raised for Thanksgiving dinners); have ‘spurs’; and you want to make sure they are ‘dead’ before you go up to them; let them flap around until they are dead. You ‘shoot their heads off’ with buckshot … and they flap around until they die’. My son just shot one that was over 25lbs; with spurs over an inch-and-a-half long; double beards. He got it mounted; and, they ate the meat. A ‘once in a lifetime bird’. They don’t usually grow that big in the wild. Coyotes and other predators usually kill them before they get that big or while they are still young. He and his BF had been ‘calling him in’ and not able to get a shot for several years. They have excellent eyesight and you have to be very still. They can see you ‘blinking your eyes’ … so you are covered head-to-toe in camo; and, your gun needs to be camouflaged as well. Keep the gun up and ready or else picking them up will scare them away. Pretty ‘stupid’ birds (and pretty - colorful and amazing when they are strutting). My great-uncle raised ‘domesticated’ (white turkeys) and when it rained he had to go out and make sure they were all under the shelter; otherwise, they’d open their mouths and drown. I doubt that 'wild' turkeys are that 'stupid'; but, they will approach a fake bird and run mile to answer a call. Gobblers (adult birds); jakes (young); and hens ... obviously. Will have a few of each in a group of them. An 'owl' makes them gobble (or the sound of an owl). My DOS enjoys turkey hunting (probably more than he loves deer hunting); when he kills one ... he will tell the story in minute detail. Several times. Our DOGDs just rolls her eyes at him. Both of the older 2 DGDs hunt and have both killed a buck. DMGD killed one the first time she went hunting. But fought hard to keep from having its blood smeared on her face. Right of passage. She lost that fight.

Carol – I took Algebra l, Geometry, and Algebra II; when it came time for me to take TRIG; I went one day into a class being taught by an ‘unemployed’ engineer turned teacher. What a DH! He told us to open the book to a page (not at the first of the book) … and turned around, put his feet on the chalkboard eraser tray. We all looked at one another. I looked at the problems; got up, slammed the book shut, dropped it on the floor and walked towards the door. He asked me ‘where I was going’ and I told him to ‘transfer to a typing class’ … something I knew I could always get a job doing. I can still remember the look on his face. When nobody passed the class the first 6-weeks of school (this was an Advanced Placement group of students; the Principal made him ‘grade on a curve’. For the rest of the year 2 other students taught others how to do it. One became a MD; the other a “Math Major” and Head of the Department for another county. My sister loved TRIG; but, she had a different teacher.

Patsy – Love the tree! I had an artificial “Charlie Brown” tree. Very sparse; but, at least my ornaments would hang down straight. I had enough to fill in all the bare spots; but, I am giving my ornaments to my two sons this year (maybe a few to my DOGD).

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Patsy,love the tree. When my oldest daughter got married, one thing we did to decorate the reception hall at our church was to take good size twigs and plant them in concrete in pots. We spray painted the trees and then got single strings of twinkle lights from our local dollar store and wrapped them. They did not keep the trees but took the lights and decorated their simple house with those lights. Their children love know that those lights were from their parents wedding.

Lenora, we aren't math wizards at our house either. Michelle pretty much flunked all her high school math or got pretty much close to flunking. When I say flunk, I say getting a D. She took some classes at one of our local tech colleges and took algebra their. She had a professor that just turned the light on for her and she got an A. But it was the way it was taught.

Ladies, I read everything today but my brother has been here all day and then my sister and BIL came over tonight. He will be leaving Saturday after lunch so I will be a little behind. But although I love you all, I y 4th my brother more and we haven't seen him since July 4th 2014. He has either been sick or a serious problem happening at Thanksgiving or Christmas since then.

Joyce, Indiana
  • EllenFlickner
    EllenFlickner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    March was horrible for me. I didn't meet my goals at all. what could go wrong did, from having my hours at work largely increased, which so far they will not be declining till the last week of April, so any plans on being on track this month went poof, but I have successfully made it to the gym at least 1/2 the week and even though my diet has slipped i'm still essentially staying within my calorie limit. I hoping with the decline in hours that next month will be much better for me, working 15 plus hours each night is just about killing me.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beth, great to hear about your son's acceptance to music school!

Chris - I'm thrilled about your "find" in the dating pool. How wonderful for you!

About kitchen appliances sparking joy - I've been intending to go look at a spiralizer while I'm in Stockholm (there's no such thing in tiny Longyearbyen) but am hesitating. A while back, Heather wrote that she didn't have one for fear that it would turn into clutter after the first flush of excitement had worn off. Does anybody have one and use it all the time?

But back to the JOY. When we moved to Longyearbyen I bought myself a blender because I needed it to make several of my favorite soups. I used to worry about the gunk that got stuck in the cracks and crannies down beneath the blade, but I soon discovered that the blade section of my new blender was detachable, making it incredibly easy to clean. Encouraged by that, I found lots of new ways to use it. Smoothies, for example. Now my standard breakfast is a protein-rich smoothie based on cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, apple, banana, avocado and lots of fresh ginger. Several years have gone by and I'm still tickled pink every time I unscrew the base and wash the blender. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Must run. Students on their way.
    /Penny - soon and very soon going home to the emoticon-object-026.gif

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I was so pooped out yesterday I fell asleep before 5:30 last night ,over 17,000 steps.. dont go into work until 12:30 today..the pollen has kicked my butt ,so instead of the gym, will probably work for an hour.
    upper palm of hand still swollen and bruised. wondering if I used one of the machines wrong at the gym yesterday, or used the mop wrong up at dad's..
    He is just thrilled to pieces that I am getting all that done at the house..
    Beth~ congratulations to your son on his acceptance... I will be down there this summer for a few days..
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    mikesmom - i wal ALL the details, ESPECIALLY your first kiss!! gotta tell me if he's a good kisser and if not? teach him!!]

Pip, I am thrilled to report that there will be no need for kissing instruction, this man is the best! I was very disappointed when he told me on date #2 that he had a cold and would not kiss me in fear of passing it on. I was willing to take the chance, but he was not. He called last night and he is much improved, so plans have been made for date #3 which will be a trip to Newport, RI on Saturday. I am anticipating much kissing, we have to make up for what was missed on date #2. The romantic movie continues...

Chris in MA who is floating in the clouds
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Penny...I bought a really inexpensive ($3) spirilizer from eBay last year. I use it frequently because I don't eat pasta anymore and the vegetables take the place of pasta for me. I buy an incredible turkey boilinaise sauce from Trader Joes goes well with the veggies, also sautéed shrimp is yummy. You could also use a vegetable peeler, easier on the wrist and easier to clean.

Chris in MA
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance! Whoot! It has taken me a while to read yesterdays posts (there are a lot of them!) So...I will begin on this page and work my way back.
    Allie - I bet you were tired! You have been busy! About your hand, I would think maybe overuse (so both machines and mop). That happens to me, mainly in the spring when I am working out and working hard around the house/yard.
    Penny - My spiralizer is my latest kitchen purchase. I bought it in January, and I use it about four times a week. I just got a basic hand held one (cost $15), but I use it to make veggie noodles mostly. I love it. It is easy, fun and has gotten my son and my daycare kids to try more veggies.
    Ellen- Don't be too hard on yourself. It is hard to fit everything in when your work hours increase. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to stay on track! Great job logging in and don't worry; things will calm down and you will have more time to focus more on you! Hugs <3
    Joyce- We did something similar for my daughter's wedding last summer. We sprayed some bare branches in metallic gold paint, placed them in glass vases with black glass stones and strung the branches with little white seed pearls (fake). Her colors were black, white, and gold. So nice you could visit with family.
    Heather- Baby Bea is getting so big! She still has that gorgeous head of hair and look at those cheeks! Adorable.
    Katie- So glad you found bras! Bra shopping is my LEAST favorite kind of shopping. I am a 38 DDD, also. I got myself a pair of "wild" pants, and I debated on getting them. They caught my eye immediately because they remind me of the stuff I wore back in my teens and twenties (pre marriage/kids). I bought them because I have been missing me! They are black and white "aztec" design and I have worn them a few times. My dh HATES them, but I don't care.
    Beth- Yea! So happy for your son! What a relief! On the other hand, I hope your dh gets his health issues worked out.
    Pip- Congrats on PT completion. Now you have NO excuses not to ride in the wind! ;)
    Patsy- Love the tree! If I didn't have so many littles in my house; I would have a tree (or even any type of floor plant or deco) up year 'round. But even if I gate off the tree, the kiddos are all over it, reaching and pulling off things. Too stressful having that one more thing to have to say "No-no" about!
    Carol-Wahoo on PB! Can't wait until date #3! Keep the details coming. Mikesmom- it is Carol, right? Or is it Chris? (End of the week brain drain)
    Carol and Katla- relearning algebra and other forms of math??!! Hats off to you! Like Katla, that would be at the bottom of my "want to do" list. I am not a math person. I actually didn't go to college because I found out that math was required even though my course of study was to be languages. My dh is the "math" parent. But we found that even with his math skills, because the school system changes the way they teach math so often; we were most times unable to help our kids. The would get marked "wrong" even if the answer is right, because they didn't follow the correct procedure to get the answer.
    Marcelyn- I always base my "eating back" on how hungry I am due to extra activity. Extra walking or running,doesn't make me as hungry as swimming or hard labor or hard strength training. First I try to fill up some of that space with water, then I just try to make healthier choices. I believe that if you get your mind set that you can't eat back some of those exercise calories, you will end up so hungry you will make really bad choices.
    Love and hugs to everyone that I haven't replied to <3 Miss Mariana is the girl of a MILLION questions this morning and I have to go answer all of them! Wow! Too early to need a drink?
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Chris- I got it! It's Chris! Names are important! KJ (Kelly)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Chris ~ Love the new pic of you in the blue dress. Very pretty.

KJ, Lenora, and Katla ~ I had to take remedial math in college and still didn't do well. I do remember liking Geometry. It's funny because I had two brothers that went to GA Tech. One then went on to Mercer Pharmacy School and they said he made the highest score on the math entry test. I am working on some Algebra problems on line that give you the answers after you try to work them and then explain how they got it. Trying to keep the brain young. LOL :)

Heather ~ Love the baby's dark head of hair. Sweet!

Beth ~ Glad your son got into the school of his choice and that the scholarships help. I hope that the stress of school will not make his migraines worse.

Miriam ~ I admire you for climbing up on the roof to clean away the winter debris. I am afraid of heights and would not be able to do that.

The idea of a decorated tree for each season is great. That way you can enjoy each holiday more the better.

Going to mail the taxes today even though they don't have to be due until Monday. My DH has a thing about the 15th.

Carol

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Brenda like how you phrased your goals as accomplishments.

Betty I just watched a video on dolphins what wonderful creatures.

Heather Bea how precious! Hope internet problems resolve soon. Frustrating!

Thank you Janet and Katla for the positive feedback.

Katla love the Tibetan quote!

Patsy great tree!

Kelly love the quote.

Gayle I know I treat geese respectfully or pay the consequences! I image turkeys are not much different.

Went to a glorious concert last night. Friends of ours son performed his senior master performance on cello with a wonderful piano accompanist.

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Morning all...

Marcelyn – I try to stay a few hundred calories under my 1500 PLUS my exercise calories, but my goal for the month is simply to be lighter than the month before. Supposedly, the rule of thumb is that a deficit of 3,500 calories over the course of a given time = one pound of weight lost. Everyone’s metabolism is different, of course, but if you’re at least 100 calories under your calorie count with exercise added in, it should result in weight loss… depending on a lot of other factors. Exercise makes me hungrier too.

Chris in MA
    - living vicariously through you... it's good to see you so fluffy! And isn't it cool to have a whole group of friends who understand? I remarried at 50, and my best friend told me she was really glad I was marrying him so I'd STOP TALKING about him. That's a direct quote. You just talk away, my dear, we love it!

Kelly - love the "hills" thing.

Am excited this morning... long story short, my sister's husband is a junkman. He takes away discarded items... and they live near a lot of the high-dollar areas in Dallas. I'm taking back a truckload (literally) of stuff on Sunday that they are simply giving me. An elliptical, a beautiful bed frame with headboard/footboard, all solid wood, a gorgeous table with all the chairs, and two drum sets. They all just need a little bit of cleaning. My sis and her husband simply don't have room to keep all the beautiful stuff they get, and it ends up going to the dump. Every wall in their house is covered with everything they have kept--they look like the neatest hoarders EVER.

They won't do their own sales, because they don't like having people come to the house, and craigslist is so filled with scammers they've thrown their hands up there. Seriously, if I had a 20-foot trailer, I could fill it just with the stuff they thought was too good to be thrown away, but they don't have room for it in the house. This would be a really good way to get the farmer's/flea/craft market started, solve a problem for my sis--if they take it to the dump, they have to pay by the pound to get rid of it--and it will add to their income ('cause I'll give her ten percent) and just be a fun, if strenuous, way to make money. I will have to learn to drive a truck with trailer attached, but there are worse things.

And, for those of you who don't already know, I have a warehouse. Where I can hold once-a-month sales. And a sister that I could deal with seeing more often. You get my drift? Best of all - it was my husband's idea. Got to love that. "Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch!" Whee! :)

Anyway, got my third 16-oz cup of coffee burbling away in the coffeemaker and my sister's oldest daughter got in late last night from Oklahoma, and I haven't seen her in a while either, so I'm looking forward to that. My brother-in-law should be up by the time I get over there, after a shower... and we can hit him with the one-two sister punch and get him on the side of the angels... I love my life. We're going to buzz down to Nacogdoches and see my brother this afternoon, which should be fun.

My old business partner used to tell me, "When everything's going right, STOP ARGUING." Loved that guy, he was amazing. While there are any number of ways this could go wrong, there are so many ways it could go right. Life is always an adventure. :wink:

Love y'all,
    Off to the races!
    Lisa in East Texas (for a few more days). The humidity is making my hair look like a dandelion fluff ball!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    From the book Life is Hard;Food is Easy

One key to managing your weight is healing your heart, not filling your spoon.

I believe that is why the book Dances with Anger touched a cord with me. For the first time in a long while my anxiety levels are down and I am finding it much easier to stay on track with eating and exercise as a result.

In her last example in her chapter on relationships of three Learner examines when a mother does not like her son's girlfriend. When the mother in the trio started opening up about her own struggles and stepped out of the dance of criticizing his choice of girlfriend her relationship with her son became not surprising calmer. She gave her son space to start trusting his own judgment. This is the biggest take away for me is allowing others space to make their own choices without me rushing in to save them.

Tangent:
    I have noticed when children are quite young it is good to allow them choice if possible. What I have learned as a teacher if children are not handling choice well example losing, breaking things, throwing tantrums limiting their choices helps them. Providing choice is different then rushing in and making the choices for them.

She concludes the chapter with when you direct so much energy to the underfunctioning member (in teaching we called this learned helplessness) you wonder what you would do with all that energy. I know in a classroom when you quit playing the power struggle game the it creates the opportunity for a much better learning environment and everyone is much happier including the teacher. The same holds true for families.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    Options
    Well, my lovely ladies, we are getting CLOSER! (By the way, thank you so much for your messages of support - it really, really helps <3 )
    Today we got a phone call from Berni, who is a PA to the CEO. She is taking personal charge of our phone problem. She has also emailed. She has arranged for an engineer to come on Tuesday morning. Then she will ring in the afternoon to check everything is OK. If the problem is in the house, we will have to pay, but we don't care any more. Here's hoping! When she rang there was a storm of crackle on the line. She had to ring DH's mobile.
    All this because, by diligent searching, I managed to find the email of the CEO on line. DH writes a very good letter. :)

CJ - Thanks for the info on driving in the Yucatan Peninsular. I haven't broached the subject again with DH, as sometimes it's better to let him process, but there is no way he is driving there, even if I have to pay the extra cost myself. Don't want the stress and agro. This is supposed to be a luxury holiday. :noway: I will be able to use your info as ammunition if it comes to it. :D

Love Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    mikesmom- YEAYYYYYY, I'm glad for you... nuthin worse than a bad kisser, ESPECIALLY when you really like someone. and your saying??? I beg to differ, as a bike rider, there ALOT good in flat, riding on flat roads, you get to concentrate on your cadence, your full pedal stroke, power and speed. can't do that as well on hills. I don't avoid them because I have to ride thru them on my route, like it or not, I don't like it but I do... when there is an uphill, you have a "weeee" going downhill.

oh yeah, morning peeps.

I don't know how many miles Kirby did this morning, but he ran an 8.23 minute mile... !
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: I'm still mad because of the Algebra fiasco, but I don't fret about it. Much. I never loved math, but I loved the feeling of competence and that was a big loss. :grumble: I do appreciate your kind words. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Enjoy visiting with your brother. :heart:

Chris in MA: Enjoy yourself with the new man! And tell us all the good stuff. :devil: :bigsmile:

KJLaMore: I agree with your comment, "I believe that if you get your mind set that you can't eat back some of those exercise calories, you will end up so hungry you will make really bad choices." I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all. :wink:

Peach/Carol: I am using Duolingo to teach myself Spanish in an effort to keep my brain young. I heard about the app form Heather. I am not going to be proficient in Spanish any time soon, but I'm having fun with it and stretching my Spanish knowledge a bit. :smiley:

Lisa: I love your idea of partnering with your sister to sell reclaimed treasures at your warehouse. I hope you all enjoy the fun of it and the chance to see each other a bit more often. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm so happy that you finally made contact with someone in the phone provider's company that has the power and language ability to get something done! Keep us in the loop. :heart:

Spiralizer fans: What veggies do you choose to spiralize for noodle replacements?

Yoga today and riding tomorrow. My world is good. I expect we will be picking up our sailboat from the boat yard sometime soon, and I hope that event occurs on a dry day.

DD hasn't been in touch since yesterday and I don't know how things are going for her BIL who is on life support. We're in for a sunny weather streak and I regret that she won't be here to enjoy it, but she is needed by her DH's family and we will get our chance for a visit later on.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison