WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lenora I dropped trig in high school as well. I was a horrible math student but had to learn it to help my older son get through high school and then college ... His physical disabilities prevented him from writing so I had to do all the figuring.

This is still one of my favorite memes.
    xlci4pgul0fu.jpeg

Beth near Buffalo
    Love this, Beth! This is why I married a math major. When I need to grow more neurons when I retire perhaps I will brush up on math skills as I do feel stupid being so bad at it. But for now this is something I have no time for.

Heather the fish sounds fabulous! I had stir fry chicken with onions, asparagus, yellow squash, red pepper, shiitake mushrooms and peanuts. I hope attained my vegetable quota!

Chris in MA-- great news on the date!

I have a date tomorrow, too-- with a shovel and a rose bush.

Betty

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    CJ. I would not go. It does not sound like anything that would be fun for you, and if your friend cannot understand that, then she really isn't much of a friend. If you know the groom and have good feelings for him, you could send a card with a small gift of money, or a small gift, but just because you receive an invitation does not mean that you have to accept it OR that you are obligated to gift. If the wedding was local, it might be worth the effort but not with the trip, cost of a hotel, new dress, etc. But then, I am an introvert, so I am biased in my response. How about others?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    CJ, send your regrets. You don't have to offer an explanation, if anyone asks, simply say, "I had a conflict in scheduling." It's none of their business what that conflict was. Send a generous gift since you won't be needing a new dress.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :)CJ, You don't have to go to that wedding if you don't want to. RSVP with a note that says something kind about the event, but you are" not available" to attend or "not able " to attend. Sending a gift with a thoughtful note would be a good idea but not required. Too many people do too many unnecessary things because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings. I wouldn't hesitate to decline an invitation to a big social event four hours away that required an overnight stay and purchase of clothing I'd never wear again. Your friend is wrong. You don't have to go if you do want to. Just remember to be kind.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    CJ I believe the phrase is "just say no." Really, you don't have to go and nobody is ever obligated to attend simply because they received an invitation. Simply send your regrets. No explanation is required. Barbiecat is correct, just be kind. Don't lie or make up anything simply say you have discovered it is just not possible for you to attend. I would guess that a fancy wedding has mail back RSVP's? If so simply write out your regrets. If they have to be phoned in keep it simple but polite and wish the couple well.

I'm the odd person out too, I don't ever feel obligated to send a gift unless I really want to but if it is a good friend's son then a small gift sent along would be nice.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I also got a free insulated bag. After everyone left at Christmas, I found a nice size insulated lunch bag. I took a picture of it and put on our family message on face book. No one claimed it. This picture went to every family that was there. We have used it at the grocery store, my son in law used it to put photography equipment in on their hike, etc. It's a nice bag!

We have enjoyed our time with our brother. This morning he went out and did some yard work. When Mom was alive he would come to Evansville twice a year and do things for her like spring cleaning even though she lived in a retirement home that provided weekly cleaning. So I think my brother is now thinking he needs to come and 'take care' of us. I told Michelle and she said that is her job to do what work around the house,inside and out that we can't do. So I talked to Paul about it and he said that yes, he figured we needed help and that he should do it if we can't. So I told him what Michelle said and he said it as OK for her to take care of us but to let him know if there was anything he can do.

When Mom was alive, we, meaning me, Norma and Mom, went out to this one particular place to eat and had pie. With everything that is going on with Norma, and my brother here we went to that place and got our pie. So I ate a piece of coconut meringue pie today. Yes, I am over the calories. They had this wonderful looking carrot cake, it's 3 layers and a generous serving. But I ordered the pie. So it would have been far more calories. But we sat there and talked about Mom and all the good times, how each one of us has some trait of both Mom and Dad. Since the service was so slow we had a good long time to just go over our lives and relive all those good times.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    jz6rviry3tru.jpg Today I finally had the courage to call the acupuncture clinic that my doctor recommended. None of the doctors I've seen have found either a cause or a solution to the nerve pain, tingling, and numbness in my legs. The acupuncturist was able to see me this afternoon because she had a cancellation. It was a very pleasant experience. It's not the sort of thing with instant results. I have three more appointments scheduled and I'll report what happens.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Barbie ... I hope acupuncture helps with your legs.

CJ ... I wouldn't go by myself either.

Betty ... I hope to get some yard work done this weekend too.

Joyce ... Sounds like a lovely time with your brother.

I walked too hard yesterday ... Shin splints and spasms last night and today. Had the heating pad out. Hoping to ward off the spasms tonight by wearing socks to bed. Sigh.

Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.15min, 15.7amph, 149mhr, 2.9mi = 124c
    walk/jog- 32min, incline 5-8, 3.8-5.5sp, 14.46ap 129ahr, 146mhr, 2.16mi = 287c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.14min, 13.6amph, 149mhr 1.4mi = 89c
    ride wk 2 hm- 18.26min, 8.9amph, 149mhr, 2.7mi = 179
    total cal 676
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    jz6rviry3tru.jpg Today I finally had the courage to call the acupuncture clinic that my doctor recommended. None of the doctors I've seen have found either a cause or a solution to the nerve pain, tingling, and numbness in my legs. The acupuncturist was able to see me this afternoon because she had a cancellation. It was a very pleasant experience. It's not the sort of thing with instant results. I have three more appointments scheduled and I'll report what happens.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington

Yay! Sometimes you do get instant results. The needles for my sinuses open them up as I'm lying on the table. I'm confident this well help you. One note, some acupuncturists are better than others. If you don't get results after a few appointments, I recommend trying a different practitioner rather than giving up on it right away.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Cssj09 - I am in the minority and would go. However, if YOU don't want to go, don't. Your friend would understand, if she's a true friend.

Well tomorrow is 9mile run day
    Nite peeps
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    CJ: Thanks for your good wishes. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Your visit with your brother sounds wonderful. It was just right. :heart:

Barbie: Good luck with your acupuncture treatments. I hope you get relief. :smiley:

Pip: Good luck with your 9 mile run. I hope it is satisfying and you are happy with your time. :flowerforyou:

Riding lesson tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. We had planned on a late night trip to the Portland Airport to pick up DD and the grandkids tomorrow night, but that won't be the case now. Hopefully we'll find a time for DD and the kids to visit in a few weeks. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a cardio core workout DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one of my new DVD's, Prevention's 3-2-1 workout.

Lenora - good for you refusing that pie! Personally, a cream cheese pecan pie wouldn't appeal to me one bit because I don't care for something with nuts in it. Don't ask me to explain this because I love nuts. Just don't put them in something or make peanut butter. I think it's more a texture thing than anything else. But that's about the only thing that I feel that way about

katla - did I tell you yesterday how much I love that proverb?

Joyce - what you did for your daughter's wedding sounds like something I did for my aunt's surprise birthday party. I took a branch, set it in concrete, and then attached dollar bills to the branches.

Went outside and cut the grass (including the weedwacking) then put down pavers sand along our front walkway. Hopefully, we'll get fewer weeds growing thru the pavers. I wish there was something that you can put on the pavers to "seal" them so you don't have to do this every year. Unfortunately, I don't think there is.

Chris - ok, girl...we want details!!!! He sounds heavenly. Great photo

Marcelyn - I am always starving hungry after coming home from swimming

Heather - hope you get your phone problem taken care of. Brea is getting cuter and cuter all the time

DJ - I'm not sure when I can get pics of the pool and company. See, we still have to wait on the pump and then there'll be the job of getting the pool cleaned up. As you recall, the drive was bad, the company sent two, both failed, they had an electrician come out who determined that it's the motor so they took the pump back to the shop. Not sure what the company is going to do for us. They WERE willing to cover the drive even tho technically it was out of warranty. I suspect they knew that there was a problem with the drive. Now are they going to cover the motor too? That we shall have to see. In the meantime, we're not putting anything out until the pump is in, the cover is off (and cleaned), and we can start to get the water decent again. That'll also mean lots of cleaning because I can see the algae on the steps.

Alison - so sorry to hear about Patty's mom

CJ - I don't think I'd go to the wedding. Knowing me, I would probably use some sort of excuse. I would probaly send a card and gift, tho.

Joyce - reliving getting the pie with your mom is certainly worth a few added calories.

barbie - assuming that the acupuncture helps, will you have to go back or just the three times?

Just got back from seeing "To Kill a Mockingbird" at the Green Room. Was really good.

Michele in NC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    B)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dj wrote - "Janetr, what are you up to these days. It seems like you aren’t posting as much. Maybe you are staying busy like me and don’t have as much time to spend."

I'm here and reading every day just not posting often. I'm still doing my 3 days of weight resistance training and 3 days of cardio every week. Get discouraged sometimes when I see no weight loss but there is a difference in measurements and I definitely can tell in my clothes.

We are going to Denver in two weeks for my oldest daughter's graduation from Regis University. That is if the weather cooperates. They are supposed to get a foot of snow this weekend. Not driving the motor home thru snow lol I've been trying to plan a family "get together" while we are up there. Its time consuming trying to talk to all my family and find a time and place that works for the majority.

Thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate it.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Every day when I'm doing my weight training I think of Mary in MN and wonder how she is doing. I really miss her, there is a big hole without her here. She has been so motivational for me.

Janetr OKC - missing Mary in MN :(
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, good luck with the acupuncture. I once went to a reflexologist and if i was having sinus problems, I knew I had to bring a box of Kleenex with me because it was like a broken damm when she was done.

Yes, we had a lot of fun with my brother. He has always been a 'care giver'. He is 8 years younger than me but after died, he became the one who took over all the functions a father does in giving advice, odd jobs around his children's homes, just anything. He is our 'big' brother although he is younger. But as far as size, he really is our big brother!!!! LOL My sister invited me to be with her the whole time Paul was here but I knew it was her that called him with this distress call saying I need you. So last night when my sis came over we were kind of in shock that Norma was so carefree and happy, never even mentioning what is going on. So after we had our dessert today, I came home and Paul stayed over there for supper. He got home around 9:30 and said they got a lot of things worked out. Knowing Paul since he is a minister and hospice chaplain, he is the one who started the conversation. If it were a hospice patient, he wouldn't but this is his sister. She says her heart says no to any treatment but her brain says to give herself time to make a decision. She has had this drain in for over 3 weeks now, hasn't had a decent bath, needs her pool at the Y or her own hot tub to help ease her fibro pain. And all of that can start resuming next week when the drain comes out. So she wants to feel better before she makes her mind up.

My son in law sent an email today that he and Ellie, my 9 year old grand daughter ran a 5K today. It took her 41 minutes. Also Michelle was woke up this morning at 6:30 by about 15 fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. A house around the corner from her, vacant, was in flames. It kept on flaring after they thought it was out. Houses on both sides were damaged some but still livable. Michelle's house was not damaged at all since she was around the corner but when we went over to look at it this afternoon it sure stunk. Her dogs were really upset about all the rucous plus the fact she wouldn't let them out to relieve themselves until it was all clear. Some of the pictures she took were chosen to be on one of the local news station.

Joyce, Indiana
  • lawmiller1
    lawmiller1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well I think I'm caught up on the reading ladies. My exercise has been lower this week but still logging and under my calories. Plan to spend time this weekend working in the yard it is supposed to be beautiful here. (MD) I'll have to watch the pollen though, the allergies are wreaking havoc to the Asthma. I hope no one minds if I open up a little. I am so concerned for my son lately that I am having actual minor chest pains. First two years ago he was diagnosed with Anorexia. Ironic, I'm trying to work hard to lose weight and he went thru that. Well to be honest the family went through it. I didn't start seriously dieting until I was sure after he was released from counselling and knew he was doing better. It is not always an easy balance to make sure he eats and at the same time make sure I don't!! Well it is going fairly easy since we try to have healthy dinners, but he tends to eat the same things over and over again for the other two meals. Early in school he was diagnosed as having as unspecific learning disability. He is 20 years old or will be next week. He seems to want to be grown, but not let go. He worked hard to go to Community college and he hoped to transfer to a local University but he is struggling in school. Part because he doesn't seem to have much drive for the work. Still comes to me for help. He doesn't have any close friends, he has people to talk to but no one to hang with. He has been trying and trying to find a job and no one seems willing to hire him because it would be his first job. It is a hard time for me also, I have to find a new role in the family. I want to push him and see him be successful, and social since this should be the "fun" years. It is just weighing very heavy on me and other than trying to explain this to my husband I have never spoken it out loud. Well still haven't I guess .... Thanks for reading.

Miriam with cats- I know how you feel, but try not to get frustrated with yourself, the yard will still be there.

Becca- Water aerobics sounds great, I keep putting it off but I hope I can find a class around here that is not too expensive.

Lenora- I hope I have your name right, anyway the quinoa salad sounds great I will have to try it. I'm new to Quinoa other then mixed with rice, so I have been looking for recipes.

Katla- Love the proverb, plan to print it out to hang on my mirror.

Beth- Congratulations, that is great news about your son getting into the school of his choice.

Well I am sure I left out people that I commented on in my head but it is very late. So good night all and have a wonderful weekend.
    Laurie
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Lisa – your description of iffy peeps got me laughing

Ok I can’t resist - this is probably a bit to much…. But on gardening, and miracle grow… So Miracle Grow is a chemical cocktail that creates a “miracle” it “feeds” the top of the plant but doesn’t nourish it’s structure…so because the root structure is not sound, the top will not make it through a challenge or disease…

Joyce – I walked this morning a route in the neighborhood I don’t do too often and what was out for the garbage guys – a Christmas tree ! not a fake one but a very very dead one… So I was glad the one you left up was fake..

Penny – could it have been the hijabs? As I read the story I thought who was chasing them too, but then realized I have never seen anyone in a hijab except headed “out”, market, work…somewhere and while I know they would cover to exercise too, it just had not dawned on me….

Beth – you’ll get this! And I know a couple that when they sat down with a finance guy, divorce and living together really helped bridge the gap in the health insurance they had to provide her with the level of help she needed without having to sell the house.
    And BIG congrats to your son!

Marcelyn - I am single (always been) and even with Chris’ and Carol’s successes I am too afraid… So I don’t eat any exercise calories back (in a normal mode) unless I am up around 900 calories or more of exercise, as at that point I am too hungry to sleep… so then I’ll eat as few as I can but 1-2 hundred….

Heather – Bea is adorable. Hip Hip Hooray for finding that email!!!!

Meg – thanks!!!

Patsy Cute tree!!!

CJ – that is a lot of expense, while you might be able to trim the expenses (a close but cheaper hotel, a dress from a 2nd hand or consignment shop) The mother of the groom will probably be busy so while she would love to see you she will not have time to visit… so what is your feeling, will this be a friendship affecting decision? Could you call her and talk it through, so she understands why you are RSVPing no?

Kim from N. California