WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi to my friends. No time to post a long chat, but here is a video I thought you would like:
    https://www.facebook.com/hahaviralvideos/videos/1575675256080588/
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Meg ~ Laughter is contagious! :)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Meg, thanks for dropping in and sharing the video. It did make me smile.

Chris, I am happy for you and your dating success story.

Ellen, here's to better times ahead.

Interesting observation about hills and the flat places. When I was doing math content coaching, I would tell the teachers that the "easy" stuff was prime time to work on the practice standards. Same thing with weight lifting. It's good to get the form down with a lighter weight before challenging yourself with the heavier one. But, oh the thrill of swooshing down hill after a tough climb up. Isn't it great to be able to celebrate all circumstances, the hills and the flat stretches.

Good butt and ab workout today, then 3 miles with Dave. Now I have to spend the afternoon doing housework.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to work in my yard today, but I think I wore myself out yesterday and the day before. I kept wandering around the yard, puttering, but not really doing anything. So I decided to quit and come in, rest some, and try later. I did not sleep well last night due to aches and pains from overwork. This is so frustrating.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Carol...thanks for the compliment on the picture. That is the picture I posted for my profile on the online dating site that captured PB's attention. I just thought it was time to let everyone see the new me.

Lisa...I am always amazed at all the innovative business ideas you come up with. This is a win-win for both you and your sister. I hope that it proves profitable and fun for all of you. I drove a tractor-trailer on a dare...no big deal!!!

Margaret...what you wrote resonated with me today. My son was dealing with a difficult situation this week and I listened but did not offer help as I would have in the past. I had the mind set that he is an adult and should figure it out on his own. It was much less stress for me.

Katla...I use any veggie that conical and will fit in the spirilizer. Haven't done cucumbers though, I think they would be nasty cooked.

Chris in MA who is still floating and looking forward to tomorrow.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well today I took an official aqua aerobics class from 9-10 am. It was cool, and we used noodles and weights to stretch out our muscles. There was 4 of us including the teacher, so she could explain what each exercise was, and how to do it. I Rocked it!!

Lenora~ Actually one of my trigger foods is Mexican food. When I was out of control I used to make up a can of chili, then I would take a huge serving dish, add the chili, about 1 cup of sour cream, lettuce, with about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Then I would hold this bowl on my chest and scoop out bites with a tortilla chips. MANY tortilla chips in fact.. That is like 3 meals for me now.

Today for lunch is my quinoa salad~
    So I make up the quinoa with 1 tsp of chicken boullion as its cooking. Then I add spices to it. I have a plate full of spinach, 1/4 cup of crumbled feta, walnuts, dried cranberries, and then 1/2 cup of quinoa. Over the top I have some Dijon mustard dressing so 1 T of that. As the Quinoa was cooking I ate my protein which was some teriyaki grilled steak strips (88 g. worth). Yummy even cold!

No dinner for me, but thats ok, I made a nice pot of coffee so I shall sip on two cups !

Have a great day ya'll! Loved that video of the laughter!! I laughed too!!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Feeling more relaxed now. Probably a false sense of security. From our chat on the phone with the PA I think there is a huge problem with Open Reach, the monopoly that maintains the whole infrastructure of the nation's phone lines. Even BT can't communicate with them properly. Recently there were questions raised on the BBC about the monopoly, but nothing ever seems to happen. It is a national scandal.

My fish stew was absolute heaven. <3:D The easiest thing in the world. A jar of French fish soup, a fresh fish pie mix from the fishmonger and some king prawns. I served it, as they do in Provence, with a spicy, garlic mayonnaise (rouille), some grated cheese and croutons for DH. 500 calories of fishy heaven. Accompanied by a bottle of Provence rose wine. ( half, obviously :D ) Even with desert I'm breaking even on calories today . Light lunch and small pm snack. I had shiritaki noodles with a smear of madras paste. Yum for 50 cals. Very filling. Then I had a large carrot. :laugh:

Today on the news they were talking about bottled sauces and the sugar in them. In a jar of Dolmio Tomato sauce there are 7 teaspoons of SUGAR. Even the company are now telling people not to eat them often. :noway: The amount of sugar in processed food is disgusting. Yuk!

Love Heather UK
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Pip, I am thrilled to report that there will be no need for kissing instruction, this man is the best! I was very disappointed when he told me on date #2 that he had a cold and would not kiss me in fear of passing it on. I was willing to take the chance, but he was not. He called last night and he is much improved, so plans have been made for date #3 which will be a trip to Newport, RI on Saturday. I am anticipating much kissing, we have to make up for what was missed on date #2. The romantic movie continues...

Chris in MA who is floating in the clouds

Hooray! I'm excited for you, Chris!

Hoping for a bit of a romantic movie, myself, as I'm meeting the math professor on Sunday. :blush:

Hi to everyone else! I'll be more involved again next week, hopefully. :sweat_smile:

Oh I will add that my hot-and-cold flashes have been diagnosed as adrenal insufficiency, not perimenopause. I have been sweating all day and all night, while chilling with goosebumps. Today I started a short steroid taper. Apparently I exercise too much and too hard for my condition as well, but after all my ortho surgeries? That is the last thing I will give up.
    Take care, ladies :heart:
    Larisa in Seattle
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo...I hope your date with MP (Math Professor) goes as well as my first date did. We'll be expecting a report on Monday.

Chris in MA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – If I had stayed in TRIG – I would have definitely flunked it. When you open a book to page 55; ain’t no way in the world, you’d know what you are doing. He set up us to fail.

Becca – When I know we are going out for Mexican; I look up what I ‘think’ I will order and decide if the calories are worth it. Two tacos are about my limit; but, other times I will order what I want and take home ½ of it for the next day. We usually go about 4:00pm.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :D
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Lenora I dropped trig in high school as well. I was a horrible math student but had to learn it to help my older son get through high school and then college ... His physical disabilities prevented him from writing so I had to do all the figuring.

This is still one of my favorite memes.
    xlci4pgul0fu.jpeg

Beth near Buffalo
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    "I don't do math. I write software to do math for me." --me
    :smiley:
    Larisa
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Heather, I don’t blame you for getting excited about your cruise. Aren’t you happy that your DH is going with you. Sorry the engineers didn’t show up. Some things just aren’t easy. (later) I would be furious too. grrrrr

Souix, it sounds like you are taking those baby steps in the right direction. Keep it up!! :)

Cindy, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often and join right in. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Just log everything that goes in your mouth and take baby steps. This is a life journey and not a short term diet. You can do this.

Beebee, you have the right idea to never give up. We can start over every day.

Claire, welcome. This is a great place for support and wonderful information as well. Log everything, come here often and take baby steps. You can do this.

Aqua, welcome. If you truly gained 20 lbs in a year the first thing I recommend is to see a doctor. If your partner is retired, does he not know how to cook? I’d buy him a tv dinner. >:) Please sign each post with the name you like to be called and a location, general or specific.

Rene aka gabby, welcome. Which name to you want us (your new friends) to call you? This is a great place for support and we don’t hold it against you that you were born too late. Come on in and pull up a chair. Congrats on heading to Onederland!!!! It’s a wonderful place to be. Come often.

MicheleNC, you talked about the insulated shopping bags. A neighbor gave DH two of them one year as part of his BD present. She knew he was the grocery shopper. I thought it was a great gift. I love the dolphin. When do we get a picture of the pool with all the new additions???

Joyce, I know what you mean about not being strong enough to resist some of the things our DH’s bring home. The other day I asked DH if he would mind not buying Moose Tracks. I love it and don’t remember him eating it before??? He likes lots of other kinds that I don’t care for. And I told him, no more cinnamon rolls. I mean good grief!!!! If they aren’t there, I won’t be tempted. :s

Katla, I loved your cousin’s FB post of the Tibetan proverb. Thanks for sharing.

CarolGA, we used to recycle our extra grocery bags at the store, also. We use some for trash can liners. The other day as I came out of a grocery store I passed a man that had two big bags of bags he was going to recycle. I asked if I could have them and told him we were using them for a charity project. He said sure and I took them but when I got in the car, it looks like other types of bags in there too. I may just recycle them and not even open them. Lol

Marcelyn, you said you were “feeling rather Texan today.” As someone that grew up in Texas and has been away for many, many years, I just don’t think it gets any better than that. :wink:

Pip, congrats on getting booted from PT. Way to go, girl.

Janetr, what are you up to these days. It seems like you aren’t posting as much. Maybe you are staying busy like me and don’t have as much time to spend. I’m still a few pages behind but will try again tomorrow.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    I was also awful at Maths at school. When I was around 9 years old we moved house and schools twice. The school in between was the pits. We had nothing but maths tests day in, day out, on stuff I had never learned. It was terrifying. I developed a phobia of maths which meant I could hardly focus on the page. It was the same time as my father's abuse escalated. I was a horrible mess and the maths never recovered. Could manage geometry, but any maths problems just made my brain freeze.
    I failed my national maths exam at 15. Had to take it again. Just scraped through the second time.
    The strange thing is, at university I took Philosophical Logic in the first year. I studied hard because I anticipated it would be difficult for me. I came 2nd out of a class of 120. A lot of those were maths students. So I wasn't incapable, just traumatised. :'(

Love Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: Thanks for the laugh. I needed it & I suspect we all do. :laugh: :heart:

Miriam: (((HUGS))) I hope you feel better tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

Chris: We just got a sale catalog that showed a spiralizer for a Kitchenaide mixer working on a zucchini that was going into a salad. I appreciated the visual. We don't have a Kitchenaide and I don't think we will get one. We have too much stuff already. :grumble: On another topic, congrats on the happy date with a good kisser. :wink:

I ordered a new pair of boating shoes online and now I'm getting ads at the top, bottom and side of my open computer window advertising the item I already bought. Irritating! If it wasn't a good product I'd never buy from them again. It is a good product and I'm very likely to buy again. Still . . .

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,814 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well almost to 10,000 steps,not quite will get them before bed.. took pictures of the stuff I got for Taliah and showed them to Tracy she will keep it a suprise until they get here and she walks in the room.
    my dear friend got a call from her sister this morning that her mom passed away.She was suffering from COPD and had been bedridden for a bit, Patty is works with me and her family lives out in Wisconsin,so she is flying out today..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A special welcome to all the new ladies. You will feel right at home and as if you have known the bunch for many years, very soon. I just joined at the end of the year and already feel almost like an old-timer. I hope that I can meet some of these ladies in person sometime. I felt so embraced by this wonderful group of women. So many accomplishments. So much accumulated wisdom. I don't use personal social media and in general shy away from sharing much personal information about me. I lurked on this site for a while before jumping in. it was the best decision I made. The love and support here is incredible. I really miss everyone when I have not checked in.

Katla I am sorry to hear about Chris. Count me in for prayers. I hope that your riding gives you some space and time to focus on healing thoughts for your family.

Penny Let the sunshine in! It should be long days by now so I hope that you are finally able to completely recover and get back to yourself again.

Question-
    A friend and I received an invitation to a ritzy wedding. It will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours from where I live by car. My friend isn't going- has to be out of town and cannot reschedule as this will mess up a variety of work schedules. I, on the other hand, have no excuse for not attending other than I really do not like huge, fancy affairs where I do not know anyone, or just 2 or 3 people at the most. I don't want to have to spend 4 hours driving back and forth by myself. Ordinarily, if we are going to the same event, we carpool. I could stay in a hotel and use the provided transportation to the ceremony and reception, but it is also a fancy, expensive hotel. I have to buy an appropriate dress as I don't have evening clothes that fit. I got rid of the dress that I wore to the last fancy wedding I attended since it was too big. My friend says that if I don't go, I will really offend the parents (the mother of the groom is a good friend). What do I do? RSVPs are due in just one week.

CJ