WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Today my driving went really well! I know you are all giggling because I am such a chicken with this driving issue.... lol!! But heck...I went OVER a BRIDGE today....well not the huge Astoria-Megler Bridge:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPCDg_Erqck (that is a video of going from Washington state to Oregon). I am talking about the bridge connecting Warrenton to Astoria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kVfKi_Vwow

but still, I was proud of myself!
    Becca
    in Bridge boasting Oregonian fashion
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: I'm so glad to hear your DH is doing well. Waiting for medical appointments can be hard when you simply want everything better NOW. I hope all goes very well for him. :heart: Which bridge do you drive over to get to your appointment? :huh?:

Sue in WA: I hope your DH's cataract surgery goes very well. I would love your recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Oatmeal. :bigsmile:

Marcelynh & Nikion901: We have a large coin jar filled with all sorts of coins, including pennies. Now I often leave pennies I receive as change in a dish for the clerk to give to people that need just a few cents. I've been the recipient of those coins from time to time, and grateful. :smiley:

Patceoh: Loose clothing is wonderful proof of success. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Congratulations on surviving the dentist, and getting to line dance practice, too! :smiley: Thank you so much for sharing Mary's message! I am thrilled that she is doing so well. :heart:

Pip: Skipping a bike ride in 14 mph winds is not chicken. It is very smart. :bigsmile:

I have been exhausted today. I've had a few nights of very little sleep due barking sea lions in the river by our house. Then we travelled to Central Oregon to look at the RV and DH snored like a chainsaw all night in the hotel and at home two nights in a row. I was a mess. Thankfully, I got some sleep today and my brain fog is lifting.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,
    Janetr – thanks

Heather – cute cute cute

Lisa – great article!

Sylvia – glad to hear from you!!!

Larissa – you’ll do great!

Marcelyn - Russian!!! Yeah for googling stuff! I would have done the same with picking up the change! I always pick up change even pennies…

Barbie – good for you, finishing your day with dancing. Thank you so much for sending the note from Mary along.

Allie – really I am surprised that LLBean gave you anything for a 15 year old bag!

So my hike and breakfast was very fun, I am not a quick walker at all in fact I have been told I don’t walk I saunter, LOL – but I have been trying to pick my pace up as I know I’ll burn more calories in a shorter time – so today’s ” hike” was on a level paved path and I walked with the gals in the front! It was so great! The restaurant we went to is known for it’s blintzes – oh they are not a good calorie choice, I have been good and never tried them before, this time I had them. They were good; but all the sweet did not “hold” me as long as a healthier breakfast would. So I am glad I did them, but won’t need to again.

There is a Thai dish (probably very Americanized) that I love which is basically roasted vegies and tofu chunks with a peanut sauce. I have made it and love it, I put the peanut sauce in the MFP calorie deal and was like that’s not happening – 500 calories for a single serving of sauce. So have been thinking about it for a few days, and tried something tonight and it was great! So 1/3 cup of coconut milk (I had the regular not low fat) warmed in a sauce pan, letting it reduce a bit, add bottled hot sauce to the level of heat you like, then mix in 2 tablespoons of the dry Peanutbutter PB2 – so for 185 calories I had my sauce, and I’ll be trying it with the low fat coconut milk – I just did not have any today.

Kim from N. California
  • Annr
    Options
    Katla~ I drove the Youngs Bay Bridge...(I found a video of some crazy person riding their bike) Its too skinny for that in my opinion!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Kim from N. California~ Great use of PB2!!
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    /
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip, you can't fool me with a / instead of a . I still see you :)

janetr
  • Katla49
    Options
    !
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks so much for sharing your email form Mary. So sorry she is still in pain. But just like in Mary's style, she finished her challenge in the only way she can- not only finishing but surpassing it.

Becca, I remember the first time I went over a bridge. Mom said my knuckles were white I was clutching that steering wheel so tight. But there was a huge craft sale on the other side! I was the same way about semis. Maybe a little worse with the semis. But when Christina went to college and it was mainly me who went to see her because of my MS, I had to get used to I-64 between Evansville and Lexington, Ky. i eventually could drive it with my eyes closed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi all!

No time to read. Just had the most wonderful "meeting anniversary" breakfast! Off to The Royal Academy next for a Giorgione exhibition, then Fortnum and Mason for lunch. I'm stuffed with food already!
    Last night DS cooked us a lovely dinner on his "Egg" bbq. Grilled zucchini and eggplant with herbed dressing and torn mozzarella and six different types of sausage (Hungarian, Turkish, etc) All divinely yummy.

Just as we were setting off for the train station yesterday I checked the trains on line and they were all cancelled because of a fire near the line. So we had to come up by car. :'( We managed ok, but my son's local area is having radical road changes and bridge repairs, so we had to come a different way. Not so good for marital harmony. :D We can't drive back today because Friday traffic out of London is a nightmare, so we are staying at my son's tonight (DGS's birthday ) and leaving early tomorrow morning. Vietnamese takeaway. I think there will be cake for tea. <3

DH gave me a guide book to the Yucatan Peninsular and I gave him his favourite chocolates.

Last night was the first time we have used Uber cabs, where you do it through an app. It was excellent, but it's bad news for London black cab drivers. :'(

Love to all. Will catch up with reading tonight.

Heather UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning all... not insomnia for a change. Came out to the ranch, fell asleep on the couch by 7:30 p.m. up at 3:30 a.m, but that's eight hours. :) At least I got to see the DH for an hour or so before I went off to dreamland.

Some computer work to do this morning, jump in the shower, head back to town. DH is s'posed to come in tonight and stay through Sunday afternoon if he gets a couple trucks fixed... one must be running Monday. So we'll see. If he comes out, we'll get the bathroom done. If not, it's going to get really interesting, since I'm going to be building tables myself out of pallets. BIG pallets. I've done worse things.

Off to the races, kids.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did 43 minutes of a weight training DVD. I honestly thought it was longer. The plan for tomorrow is to do a horizontal conditioning DVD. I know this is going to be a challenging DVD, lots of work with the gliding disks and I'm not used to them at all.

We have a lunch with the Newcomers. I already know that I'm going to get the blackened fish in a lettuce wrap (I've never tried one) and steamed veges on the side. Just water to drink

Not sure why, but can't sleep so here I am

Rori - I can't believe your boss. Wonder why she's looking? Maybe she needs an assistant for you? How horrible for your niece's son! I'll keep them in my thoughts

Went to WalMart yesterday after the lunch and saw this "non-oil" fryer. But what I've read about it is that it's more of a glorified toaster oven than anything else. I wasn't sure what they meant by "uses little to no oil" but it seems that you put a tiny bit of oil on top of the fries, etc. I was wondering how you cleaned the oil out. It was also stated that it's big for your countertop. Was I bummed to learn this! Anyone have experience with one?

janetr - loved your "raw food" diet!!!!! Thanks for telling us about Terri

Lisa - wonderful article! You've done so very much

Went to the ENT yesterday for my dimished hearing in my left ear. He wants me to go for an MRI of the inner ear just to be sure there isn't a reason there for my hearing loss. However, he feels that something happened when I fell when I had the seizure and this caused the hearing loss (slight).

Lenora - I'm with you, I don't care to make left turns. If there's a lot of traffic, I would rather go out of my way and make a right turn then turn around. If it isn't a busy street that I'm pulling out onto, I will make a left turn, but I do have to say that I make sure I have a clean get out. Hope your ankle is better. What a bummer. Let us know what happens.

We got the new breaker for the pool yesterday. When Vince looked on the Home Depot website, this one had the exact dimensions as the one we had. When we got it, it didn't have those dimensions. However, he's pretty sure he can use it. Only when he went to install it yesterday, it kept on drizzling on and off so we'll probably wait until today to install it. Plus, we're going to go to Aldi so we'll probably get another case of bleach.

Chris - HB to jake!

Sylia - so worried about you. Thanks for checking in. How devistating for those boys! Vince won't let me get Google calendar for the main reason that everything you put on there is out on the net. If you enter something like "going on vac", a hacker could see it and know that someone isn't home and it's safe to rob you. Sometimes he can be a real worry-wort. So glad there aren't any problems from the stroke. Hope your hip is better fast.

Larisa - best of luck

Becca - when Vince first retired he felt "out of place". He was constantly telling me how to cook, how to run the dishwasher (like I didn't know, I'd been doing that for 23 years!). Finally one day I just said to him "go downstairs, do me a favor and just go downstairs". I have a high tolerance for pain, Vince doesn't. So when they prescribed pain pills for me (I think it was about a tooth, this was a while ago) we filled the prescription but I don't think I took one, kept them for Vince to use.

Karen - good luck on your trip!!! You'll need it. I'm not jealous one bit...lol

Pat - yea for loose clothing!

Need to have Vince take me to the store to shop for a dress for the wedding. I have a fancy dress but it's black. Do you think that's appropritate to wear to a wedding in case I don't find one?

DJ - there is this place in Charlotte that sells paint that is supposed to be guaranteed for 25 years. They've only been in business 4 years. Now their ad does say that there's minimum of a $2500 job, but I called and they'd sell me a gllon of a few colors. Of course, it wouldn't come with the guarantee. Well, if it holds for 25 years, it's probably worth it. I keep telling Vince that we should go there and get it before they will no longer sell you a gallon.

Marcelyn - how gross!

barbie - thanks so much for sharing about Mary. So gad to hear things are looking up somewhat for her. So glad things went well at the dentist. Since you went to line dance class, I'm assuming you didn't get any novacane? Give Mary my love next time you email her, OK?

Becca - where we used to live there was a one-lane bridge. Not THAT was fun going over (not!)

Michele in NC
    who only has 3 more rows to do on the beaded banner then starts the tapering
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone ! ! !

I should be back for a few days, but no promises. At work we just rolled-out a new check-in and demographic process that I am learning, then I have to start teaching it next Monday.

DH had his final “regular season” bowling last night, but spring/summer started already this week, so I have spent plenty of time going to bed early and crochet this week. DS has sport bowling on Tuesday, then DS and DH take turns bowling another sport league on Wednesdays. Next weekend (May 13-16) DS has baseball try-outs Friday, State Pepsi bowling Saturday, Travel tournament and award banquet Sunday, and baseball try-outs Monday. I’m really hoping he makes baeball the team this year, because DH spent a lot of time teaching him how to be a catcher, so he can play almost any position (except pitcher, he’s just not that good as pitcher). And his testosterone has been surging, so he’s grown a few inches, and weighs 150 pounds, mostly in the shoulders and arms. It seems like he doesn’t stop eating until he falls asleep.

DD has been doing a lot of singing and recording. She bought some software so she can sing into her computer and it will record her voice and the background music that she records first.

I tried exercise this morning, but I started coughing, so I gave up for a few more days. I can handle the push-ups, because they don’t increase my breathing. Hopefully my voice will recover soon, too, because I REALLY miss singing. Coming up at Wisconsin State Fair is a concert called “I Love the 90’s”, and I also won tickets for Beach Boys. I’m taking my sister to the first, and my Dad to Beach Boys.

I think this weekend I will get some weed killer to spread in the garden, so hopefully I can plant a few vegetables next year. We also got rid of the Scott’s man that came to the house to care for the grass, so I need some weed & feed and such for the lawn that DS is planning to cut for his allowance. In September when the Fall bowling season begins, he will work at Holler House on Tuesdays and Thursdays (he currently takes turn with the other boys for Saturday shifts). I also need to get him to the school parking lot to start learning a little driving, so he can take the course soon.

Now I better get back to work, so I’m not too behind for tomorrow’s ½ day, then start training the other Receptionists on Monday.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Terri, so good to hear from you. Take care, we miss your hugs. :)

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Becca: I just watched your bridge crossing by bike. You are one gutsy girl! I admire that about you. The bridge is busy and the "bike lane" at the edge is narrow. WTG!!! <3B)<3B) How did you take the video?
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've been reading on my cell phone recently, where I can't handle anything but very brief responses. Have to keep everything in my head, and you can guess how well that works :grumble: But I do recall a couple of the things I wanted to say.

GLo - You're more than welcome to come by and share the cool. There's plenty of it up here - at least for our purposes. Sadly not cool enough to form sea ice for the seals to have their pups on and for the polar bears to hunt on, or to keep the glaciers nice and thick. :'( I hear what you're saying about the heat and humidity you have in the offing. Our annual summer visit to my parents in New Hampshire is coming up. I'm looking forward to seeing them and the rest of the family, but I could do without the 90+ temperatures and the humidity.

Becca - I was actually thinking about your husband's knees last week, hoping we would get to see him in a kilt again soon. :p Sorry he's had a boo-boo with one of them. Send him my best wishes for a quick recovery.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

annr- were you on a bike???!!! that is so awesome, i would have loved to have been there riding with you! the skinny lane for bikes to ride on is what i'm used to when i ride so it wouldn't have bothered me. did you use a gopro?? do you know how long it will last as far as power? kirby was thinking about getting one for when we do the MS ride this year.

janetr- lololol

barbiecat - thanks for sharing about fanncy
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    TGIF for all your working people ... we used to go out as a group on Fridays after work and get hammered!

Sometimes those evenings turned into happy hour - dinner - hanging out at the bat - nightcap ... and a couple of my loves eventually revealed themselves to have an alcohol problem. Both were 'functioning' alcoholics ... until they had that first drink of the day. For one of them it started with his late lunch - about 3:30 PM, for the other it didn't start until Happy Hour. Sometimes, I feel that way about food. It's a thing I've noticed with myself and I've been playing around with restricticing the types of food I consume to see if it makes it easier. Of course, I'm a Diabetic so that complicates the whole matter.

I have noticed that it isn't so much the type of food I consume, but the quantity of it at one meal. Thus, I am now trying to internalize the pattern of cutting my meal portions into half of what I am accustomed to having. What I had was not an ove rabundance of food, it was right on calorie for the day wise, but I'd be looking for something else, something more, to eat withing 2 hours of the last meal ... and I thought it was the carb load wrecking havoc with my glucose levels ... but no, that's not what was going on based on the readings my glucometer provided. So now i am trying to control the cravings by eating less at one time.

So, ... if my total calories were right-on, why did it bother me to want to eat again so soon after the last meal? Well ... because food was then constantly on my mind and fantasies of foods I wouldn't normally eat a lot of, if any, would rise up that wore me down. Eventually it would lead to cosuming twice or 2-1/2 times the calories I usually had and would railroad my weight loss efforts.

Anyone else trying small meals ... but at least 4 hours apart? How's it working for you?
    NY Niki
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I probably won't be here this weekend; Sunday is my birthday and so we usually celebrate both my birthday and mother's day for days on end!

So happy mother's day to all mothers here; 2 legged kids or 4 legged, you are loved.

I see we have some Ukrainian/Russian speakers here...Happy Orthodox Easter which was just recently celebrated. He is indeed risen.

Take care, Meg from Omaha