WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    NY Niki - Honda has been moved to body shop; where they will decide if it is repairable or totaled. Our concerns about the air bags have been voiced to Agent and the SF adjuster who is over-seeing it. She slipped up and said something about it being 'totaled' then corrected herself and said 'if' they find that it is deemed 'totaled' it would be sent to their 'total accidents division'. At this point; I don't see how they can fix it ... I have not seen the car; but, from the 1 picture that son made of it - it looks pretty bashed in, in the front; apparently the driver who "T-boned" me hit me up close to the front of the car, too ... side airbags deployed; front airbags (neither side deployed). I'd like to think that 'any' car that has airbags in them would work, safely. Body shop said that 'if' repairs are done to it, they would then take it to the Honda dealership and have them go through everything with the computer to make sure that everything is working ok. Have not gotten a rental car; been in neck brace (took it off today); but, back and ankle are still 'killing' me. Not much better using a cane either. It's swollen about half again as much as my left ankle is, which is the normal size. DH thinks that I must have hit the gas pedal when struck the first time. All I saw was a bright light which went dark and another bright light when I hit the pole. He must have spun me around. I never saw anything. Other driver was driving someone else's car. Agent told DH to make sure we got that name as well as the driver's name, address, and insurance company. I'm just glad that I am not having to make a 1000 calls. They are already 'on top of it'. Gave them the case number that Honda Services had given me about the airbag situation. You'd think that since it was a 2015 - the airbags should not have been an issue.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!
    My husband is doing well, have an orthopedic appointment on the 12th. So late is that they want to have the swelling go down before they really inspect it. I think my dear husband has a high tolerance to pain. He didn't even want to go to the ER yesterday morning, but I am glad we did! The brace is keeping him from moving it, but a lot of rough Velcro so I have some of my fluffy fleecy socks that I laid between the brace Velcro seam and his leg.

Last night he slept in the bed instead of the Lazy chair. He took 1/2 tablet of Oxycodone, because he absolutely hates narcotics, but it did take the edge off and let him sleep. I think in his 20 yrs in the Navy he has seen one too many people out of control on substances so he hates meds and alcohol. In my 31 yrs with him, I have NEVER seen him drunk so that tells you something about how he is wired..

This morning I actually made him oatmeal, (with him politely barking out the specific amounts of everything). I think I must have the patience of a Saint, but he is asking me politely so what can I do? :-) I admitted that I think he will have the sexiest armpits on the planet after all this.... Oh and his left leg will be all muscled and strong. The right leg, with go to pot... Hey I might even lose weight with all the fetch and carry work!

Today I have an appointment with my dermatologist and I'm not looking forward to it... I get to drive once again, OVER A BRIDGE....heaven give me strength... Afterwards my husband told me I should go and play the piano in the adjacent building, which I think I shall do. There is a part of me that wants to just get home though.

For lunch today I-
    -saute'ed 1/2 of a large onion, with 2 ozs of Porscuitto cubed, 120 grams of pre-cooked grilled chicken, 1 cup of white beans, 1 cup of stewed tomatos with the sauce, 2 tsp of better than boullion chicken flavored, and about 4 cups of water.
    It made 3 servings worth and I had two of them for lunch. I used my Ramen bowl and put fresh spinach on the bottom, then the soup mixture, and sprinkled 1 tsp of Parmesan cheese on top of each of my servings. Yummy!!

The best part was using the whisk and mashing the stewed tomatoes with the broth and the beans. Once again there was that sheen from the oil in the proscuitto, and from my grilled chicken, and the beans made it creamy.

Well, take care all
    Becca
    Oregon

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies: Took DH to the eye doctor this morning and he is now scheduled for cataract surgery the end of this month. I am glad he is finally having it done. He has been worried about it and putting it off. DD is on her way home from Scotland. She had a good time with her BF. Groceries this afternoon.

KJ - Liked your visuals. We had hummers last summer but have not seen them yet this year.

Lenora - Glad you came out of that as well as you did.

Barbie - Thanks for keeping us going and hope things go well at the dentist.

Sylvia - Glad things are going well for you, just remember to check in once in a while.

Janetr - Love the raw food diet. I have a recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal that is just about like eating raw cookie dough but better for you, LOL.

Becca - Poor DH, knee injuries are not fun.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Becca. I was surprised that my DH was give a rx for 60(sixty!!) oxycodone. This seems excessive and like your DH he wouldn't admit to much pain and refuses to take any. Doc called and he does have a lot of arthritis in the knee and he is suggesting gel shots. Anybody gone through this????

Off to another school concert and then a wonderful school trip to Boston with my middle school orchestra!!! 4 hour bus ride with 12 and 13 year olds. Lucky me. I will fill u all in on the fun!!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen from my
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Karen ~ I had the miniscus surgery and later had the gel shots. I think they gave me three over a period of weeks. They helped at first but then not so much. I am just having to live with the pain in my knees which is better some days and worse on other.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thinking about collecting pennies.... my daughter's mother-in-law tells of when she was a child they took up collections of kopeks for the "starving American children" that they saw in the propaganda films they were shown in school. She says she always wonders what happened to all those kopeks. As a result she and my son-in-law are very skeptical of any fund raising and government as a whole. A natural reaction when you wake up one day and discover your entire government has done nothing but lie to you.

Marcelyn
    Жизнь в Хьюстоне
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh ... жизнь в Буффало and Христос воскрес ... I have collected pennies for about 40 years. It started coincidentally because I often spotted pennies on the sidewalk and didn't want to spend them, then I started to keep the pennies from the change and set them aside also. There was a time when we were supposed to turn in all our copper pennies but I didn't do that ... instead I put them into a 5-gallon glass water jug like was had for water coolers. It made a pretty decoration next to the fireplace hearth. Eventually, the pennies got too heavy for the glass jar and the bottom broke out of it. So now, I keep them in one of those decorative popcorn tins that I got as a gift one Christmas full of 4-kinds of popped corn. Now-a-days, I do occasionally spend the pennies I get in change, but more often than not, all the coins go into one jar or another and I break new bills for every purchase.

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the husbands are having a rough time of it. Knee problems are the pits & can mean long term pain.Sylvia.....glad you are up & getting about.
    Was 40*when I got up at 6am & windy too. We are going out to eat Saturday for Mother's Day with DD & SIL.Sunday will be packed everywhere.
    Heather,I got an InstaPot this wk. Have used it twice.....DH laughed as I had carrots in one hand & the how to book in my other.
    Looks like my old faithful Maytag dryer is on it's last legs. A friend got it for his Mom,just a few wks before she went to assisted living. We bought it from him ..has never had a repair.......tho 28 yrs old. For sure,they don't make them like they used to :o

Have been on here 1146 days,but far from knowing everybody.It's a huge board,so
    not easy to keep up with.
    BTW...Wore an older jacket today that was snug,but hardly worn & is now feeling loose. Will wonders never cease!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~ I am just sitting down now ,
    Tom left this afternoon from Florida, he is in northern florida staying overnight, he sounds tired.. things that he did down there ,some didnt work out the way he wanted and he is frustrated.
    I went up and worked a bit on my dads house..my brother came over and we had to take apart the doors on the fridge that I found and had a hell of a time getting it in, but we got it in.. after it was in and all realized that it didn't come with the crisper drawers, but other than that it is in pristine shape... and works great. so I looked up the drawers, $80.00 for 2 drawers ,, but we got the fridge for free, dad is going to spring for the drawers ,I think because he see's how hard I am working on trying to get the house cleaned up...
    Dad confessed to me that he missed a step coming down the stairs and fell and hurt one of his ribs so he laid low this weekend, he didnt want me to drag him to the ER.. he went to the chiropractor today... but he is getting quite a bit unsteady on his feet. and he recognizes that too and will bring it up with his Dr next week..
    I will be glad when my daughter gets there ,because she will keep a close eye on him...
    Sylvia~ thanks for checking in... glad you have been busy and not laid up somewhere .. I was getting a bit frantic worrying about my dear friend..
    i then went up to LLBean and reordered my wicked good slippers And I had a bag that I bought about 15 yrs ago and they only gave me 19.99 for it and I paid twice that, but because I didnt have the reciept they gave me a gift card..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) I survived the dentist....I go three times a year for a periodontal cleaning and it's brutal but at age 70 I still have all my teeth so I think the stress and discomfort are worth it...I got out early enough to go to the last 45 minutes of line dance practice so I had a fun time to finish my afternoon

<3 Barbie
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Meg, so sorry to hear about all the problems Benny is having. I hope things improve soon.

Pip, give Floyd a BD hug for me. He was such a cute puppy, but then aren’t they all?

Heather, thanks for the baby pic. She looks so happy!!! :)

Ok, Ladies, as hard as I’ve tried not to, I’m worried about Sylvia, too. I sure hope she is okay. (later) So glad to hear all is well. Sylvia, please give someone contact info for you so we know how to reach you. We love you, ya know. Busy is good and glad the goods are selling!!!!!

Lisa, enjoy that new job. I know you will do great!

Rori, sending ((((Hugs)))) and thinking of you.

Larisa, good luck on the interview. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Joyce, all I can say is, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”. 

Allie, I hope you enjoy your time while Tom is away. How much more do you have to do at your Dad’s house. You are such an angel!!! o:)

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The handyman came today and got the shutters back up and sanded the two places that I needed done so we are finished with him. Now I have to paint the back door from the garage into the house and the mailbox post. I also need to paint a second coat on the trim over the garage door and then I’m finished for a while. Geeze this house is no even 9 years old and shouldn’t need all this. I guess that’s part of living close to the ocean?? Sure wish I was close enough to see it every day but couldn’t afford the insurance much less the house. Hugs to all that need them and congrats to all that deserve them. I’m only hanging in there with eating. Today I went with a friend to a Senior Citizen Cinco de Mayo luncheon.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. relaxing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Marcelynh ... жизнь в Буффало and Христос воскрес

Воістину воскрес!
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I have collected pennies for about 40 years. It started coincidentally because I often spotted pennies on the sidewalk and didn't want to spend them, then I started to keep the pennies from the change and set them aside also.

I made $3.28 the other day. I was at the quickstop and this couple was arguing by their truck. Seems she had a cup with change in it in the cup holder. He had been spitting his tobacco spit into the cup and so the coins were covered with ewwww spit. She was mad, he told her to just reach in and get the change and she was yelling no and told him to and he said no and then grabbed the cup and threw it on the ground. I went into the store and when I came out they were gone and the money all drippy and gross was there. I paused and looked at it. Did a mental addition and decided that I had changed poopy diapers and done worse so I picked up the change, put it in a paper cup I had, went inside and washed my hands. I went home and rinse the coins off without ever touching them again and dried them and had $3.28 for my trouble. Well worth the effort of not thinking about what was on the coins as I was picking them up.

My brother and his wife use pennies before 1982 in making jewelry. They melt it down. It's legal as long as they don't try to make it into other money or use it as money. Before mid-1982 pennies were 97% copper. Now they are less than 3% copper.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.34min, 14.2amph, 142mhr, 2.9mi = 97c
    OTHER- PHYSICAL THERAPY @ gym- 40min, 9 stretches, 2sets of 20, some w/5lb weights, mhr 111 = 158c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.56min, 12.5amph, 131mhr 1.4mi = 59c
    ride wk 2 hm- 15.54min, 152mhr, 10.2amph, 2.6mi = 162c
    total cal 476

i chickened out on riding home, 14mph winds!! i don't care if i would almost made it to 1k to burn
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    :)I am so excited....I heard from Mary---fanncy0626 Before she checked out, I sent her a personal message and gave her my mailing address....she gave me her address and I wrote to her to let her know what was going on with me and let her know that many of us were thinking of her. Today I got this personal message on MFP which she said I could share with you.

Barbie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. When I signed off I was barely able to function. I forced myself to do my exercises. Often having to take several breaks during my normal hour routine. I love to eat though and did not want to gain back my weight so I forced myself to do it. I completed the10,000 kettelbell swing challenge by well over 10,000 swings. For the whole month of April I was barely able to get out of bed even tough I didn't sleep at all. The insomnia that I have been experiencing is a symptom of Lyme disease and anaplasmosis. I did get up long enough to do my weight lifting, kettelbell swings and walk Shep 5 miles. I had to take several breaks along the way but did not want to let these diseases defeat me. I am now starting to feel more energetic as of last Sunday. I even had a couple of nights where I slept! I got up at 7:30 this morning and was not tired.

I am glad that you are seeking acupuncture for your leg issues. Have you thought of going to a holistic doctor. That is who I went to for treatment. I feel that I am getting better from the medicine that is boosting my immune system. They use electro-acupuncture to identify what is going on in your body. Bacteria can affect your joints, muscles, nerves and brain function. All of which I was experiencing. Let me know how your acupuncture treatments go.

I really miss everyone and can hardly wait for August 19th when I go in for my recheck and will hopefully get a clean bill of health.Every time I weight lift and swing my kettlebell I think of my friends doing it right along with me. Please give everyone my love and (((hugs))) to everyone.

Feel free to share this email with all of our friends.
    <3 Mary from Minnesota

I have Mary's e mail address. She says that she checks that occasionally...If you'd like to send her a message, I'll share her e mail address via a personal message to you.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you so much for sharing Mary's letter. It was great to hear from her.
    Janetr okc
  • Annr
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I survived the dentist....I go three times a year for a periodontal cleaning and it's brutal but at age 70 I still have all my teeth so I think the stress and discomfort are worth it...I got out early enough to go to the last 45 minutes of line dance practice so I had a fun time to finish my afternoon

<3 Barbie

Ohhh you a brave lady!! I hate the dentist too.... Our insurance doesn't cover dental, so I have been neglectful, I am embarrassed to state. I do really pay attention to my teeth, floss and only have some bit of the roots showing (have had those for years) and so that is the tender part. Other expenses come first sadly.
    Good you have all your own teeth:-D

Becca
    grinning at you from
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Barbie, thank you so much for sharing Mary's letter. It was great to hear from her.
    Janetr okc

Yes me too Janetr! I have been missing her as well. We need to look out for each other. ((((hugs))))
    Becca