WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Back from our festivities for the day, had a wonderful time. The only thing good about Red Lobster was the cheddar biscuits. I don't know if any place can accomodate 10 people well. It was prom night also. I am glad we went at 4 PM, we had a 25 minute wait, when we left if was a 90 minute wait. When we were done we went to my sister's house and sat out on her front porch and just enjoyed the weather and company until a big storm rolled in. We took a lot of sibling pictures. I will try to post one.For those on face book, I will have them there.

Tired, face hurts, and tired.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Stott Pilates for Weight Loss DVD.

Did I tell you that yesterday we worked some more on cleaning the pool? We put Rover (the robotic cleaner...that's the name we've given him) in the pool. He got so much "crud" up that he actually stopped running. I vacuumed out the spa and the steps to the pool. If I hadn't stopped when I did, I bet that would have stopped there was just so much crud. But the pool is looking much better...still not perfect but better. Vince installed the new breaker. There was a water line in the spa where the algae-laden water came up to. We weren't sure how to clean it, so we put some vitamin C on a rag and that came right off. There's this cleaner that you can buy (for a high price) and basically it's nothing more than vitamin C so we bought some vitamin C. Then I cleaned the wall between the spa and the pool. Got most of the white stuff off. We're pretty sure that white stuff is the salt because it's mainly where the waterfall is.

DJ - I finished the beaded banner last night. I saw that ad in the Charlotte Observer for the paint that hopefully lasts 25 years. Yes, it's not on the cheap side. But when you figure what you'd spend on repainting for the next 25 years, it's worth it. Now will this work? We shall find out. It's from Piedmont Permanent Coatings. Their number is 704-845-5776. I want to get Vince to go down there to pick it up. I really think the postage to send the paint will be too high

katla - the only time I've ever seen a sea lion was at SeaWorld. What kind of store is BiMart? Is it clothing, like a WalMart, food? Never heard of that chain

Kim - I've asked Vince to take me to the mall to look for a dress. For some strange reason, and this I really don't understand, he doesn't want to go shopping for clothes with me....lol He said he'd drop me off at the mall and then come home. One thing I have found is that it's kind-of nice having someone else with me when I go food shopping. He can pack the groceries while I'm paying or marking down in the checkbook how much I used the debit card for, then he can put things in the car while I return the cart. He can go to PetSmart while I go to Aldi. There are some advantages (but not too many). The disadvantage is that as he goes thru the store he says "oh, that looks good. Let's try it" and what he finds is usually junk food. The wedding is in the evening. It's at the end of May, wonder what color shoes I should wear? I do have silver shoes. Well...I can figure that out later. I want to see if I get a dress today. And if I don't, I'll just use the black one I have. Update: didn't go today, I suspect he forgot. Maybe some day next week

Lillian - dancing for you. Hey, dancing also burns calories!

Pamela - welcome to the group. If you need to find this site again, click on the star above the magnifying glass and it'll bookmark this site for you. Then all you have to do is click on your bookmarks.

Went outside and we took some of the leaves out of the pool. It's still cloudy so we put a few more gallons of bleach in it. It's getting there. Then put the Wet & Forget on the chairs, hope it works. Then powerwashed two more sections of the driveway. Only 3 more to go! Tomorrow Vince told me that as a mother's day gift he's letting me help him clean the filter cartridges. Well, that's better than his second choice which was this nailpolish that's flavored with KFC. Yuk!

Happy Birthday Floyd! You handsome devil, you

pip - feel better

tamani - welcome!

Rori - you know that I'll keep Caleb's mom in my thoughts tomorrow. I can't even begin to imagine how she's feeling. Avacado brownies -- sounds interesting. Post the recipe, OK? Are you just substituting the oil for avacado? I remember I did that one time in a cake or something, and I remember I wasn't too thrilled with the taste. Hope these are better. Maybe the chocolate flavor will overpower the avacado taste

Supposed to go to the Green Room tonight with a friend. We're going to see the Addams Family. Honestly, if she didn't want to go, I probably wouldn't go. I don't know how they're going to make Addams Family a musical. Should be interesting. Update: I can't believe how really funny it was!

Charleen - absolutely the weather changes my eating habits. In the winter when it's cold, I really crave warm things and lots of carbs (usually high fat). In the summer it seems I'm doing so much that I don't have much time

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue: I copied the overnight oatmeal recipe, and appreciate the calorie and nutrition information. I added it to the bottom of the recipe card just now. Thanks! :heart:

Charleen in Colorado: Our son had a townhouse in Colorado Springs at the time of all those fires. His was rented out to a very nice person. Luckily for him & his renter, the whole neighborhood remained untouched. He has since sold the house. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: There were nasty fires in Canada last summer that seemed to pour smoke into so many places in BC, and now this. I am so sorry your Province is affected. :broken_heart: I hope your property is safe. (((HUGS)))

We got a call from DD and she and the DGK are coming after all--day after tomorrow! They're taking a flight that will arrive at PDX in the wee hours of the morning. We'll be there with car seats and sleepy smiles. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Katla, so happy for you that your daughter and grandkids will be there day after tomorrow. What a wonderful Mother's Day surprise, only one day late :) Enjoy your visit.

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hooray Katla! :drinker: Great news! <3

Busy day today with our visitor, DSIL. Everything is defrosting on the counter top and I hope there is enough food. ;)
    Expecting hottish weather so we should be able to have our "cream tea" out on the patio. I like it "Cornish" style, not Devon.. (Google? ) :D

I am on an 86 day streak with Duolingo Norwegian. :D

Rori - So glad you are getting a break. You need and deserve it. :flowerforyou:

Love to all, Heather UK
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Cool and showers again here today...not complaining l like cool, we need the rain and DS & DDnL2 are hosting Mothers Day get together nxt Sunday when DGD2 will be home for semester break from LeMoyne (Buffalo)...finishing her first yr in Physcian Assistant program. I am sorry for all those planning cook outs etc not going to be a good day.

It's too bad northern Alberta isn't getting some of our weather it would surely help.

Our DGS3 just finishing his masters in Sports Management was offered/accepted a job with the Celtics...he couldn't be happier! We all are too :)

Heather UK /b] thanks for writing about your ongoing study of Norwegian thru Duolingo! Finally spurred me to action & ive started Italian. I had 3 yrs of Latin a long time ago so maybe it will help.

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there. DH & I are going out for early breakfast, work on inside projects and then enjoy Alaskan king crab legs with fresh asparagus for dinner. I was surprised how low crab is in calories when I checked in MFP...of course that's without drawn butter :/
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    GLo on the North Shore of Ma.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Rest day, no cycling although I may change my mind ! I need a rest day but i need the calories as well ! Lost 1.4lb this week down to 150.4 lbs, so goal this week is to get into the 140s,also forecast is for weather to turn rainy later today and for rest of the week. Have a good Sunday everybody xx
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Gm all.
    So six months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. Last weekend my left arm and shoulder started hurting really bad. Went to the Dr. Had a ekg, that was good , thank God. Took x-rays and Doc said needed blood work because my a1c was 12 6 months ago. Xrays showed arthritis in shoulder and arm and degenerative disk desease in the neck. But on a good note, my a1c was down 6.6 ! Yay! Taking pain med for shoulder right now, Doc says if not any better in another week, going to see a bone and joint Dr. Lost 6 pounds last month.. lots more to go, but it's a start!

Hope all the Mothers have a great Mothers Day!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    kuqncscfv3rn.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    :) When Jake asked me about Mothers Day, I asked him to not get me a card or a gift.....so this morning there was a handwritten note on my computer saying that it was not a Mothers Day note, it was just an everyday note and that he and the pets loved me a lot. <3

We are doing a half day Isagenix cleanse and not going out to eat and not having a special holiday meal....this is exactly what I wanted.....I have a very different idea of what to do Mothers Day and I am blessed to have a husband who will honor my wishes.

I hope all the rest of you in the US and wherever else Mothers Day is celebrated today are being honored on Mothers Day exactly the way you want.

1168020sbe3l57pu3.gif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Does the weather affect any one else's eating/cravings? Our weather changed again from the 80's back to the 40's with cold wet rain/sleet/hail/gusty winds. It has felt cold and dreary all day and we get to repeat it again tomorrow.

When it feels like this I want to head to the kitchen for a hot tea and some comfort snacky things...cookies, nuts etc. So far I have have been able to stop with just the hot tea(s) but man oh man are those other things calling me. :(

Lillian - Back in 2012 most of Colorado was dry and burning out of control. The city of Colorado Springs had the same type of firestorm as you are experiencing in your neck of the woods. It was frightening and very sad. Near me we had 3 major fires in the mountains and canyons that even today most homes have not rebuilt because they were uninsured.
    I watch the evening news and see the fear and loss you are currently going through. It will come to an end and being the awesome folks you are, you will rebuild and become even stronger as a community and as Canadians. Sending {{{hugs}}} and positive vibes your way. <3

Charleen in Colorado (Is it Spring yet???)

Charleen - thank you for the hug. And yes the weather affects me too!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Charleen in Colorado: Our son had a townhouse in Colorado Springs at the time of all those fires. His was rented out to a very nice person. Luckily for him & his renter, the whole neighborhood remained untouched. He has since sold the house. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: There were nasty fires in Canada last summer that seemed to pour smoke into so many places in BC, and now this. I am so sorry your Province is affected. :broken_heart: I hope your property is safe. (((HUGS)))

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

Katla - Yes we have had a few nasty fires lately. I am 6 hours south east of Fort McMurray and in the farmland. I don't know if that makes it any safer... we are surrounded by pasture and the Provincial forest is only 4 miles north of us. So many people in my area have family and friends that work and live in Fort McMurray. We have heard that everyone is safe, and their houses are still standing. Both Alberta and Saskatchewan have complete Fire Bans on. It is really dry here.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    We're back from the memorial for my niece's son, Caleb Lennon. Wonderful, but bittersweet, to see so many of the family, from all corners of the country, together in support of the grieving parents and grandparents. The service was exquisite. Moving, but punctuated with humor, especially the many video snippets of Caleb smiling, laughing, playing and just being the sweet, happy boy he was. I felt like the worse aunt ever because I hadn't made it over to Oklahoma to meet him. Lesson learned. Must make more intentional trips to mark happy events; and, I am pledging to take more videos. There was some solace hearing Caleb's voice and seing his energetic feet captured forever via the magic of smartphones. Thank you, friends for the thoughts and prayers. I kindly ask that you keep my niece in your thoughts as she endures the hardest Mothers Day of her young life. :'(:'(:'(

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

{{{{Hugs}}}} for you and your niece Rori.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Rori... thinking about your niece today, as well as you.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day everyone... woke up to a flooded laundry room here at the ranch, which is better than the last night I was here, when it flooded the hallway, the half bath, part of the office and the living room. Did I forget to mention that? The DH is s'posed to fix it when he gets back. First world problems, I guess. One thing this forum does is help me keep issues like that in perspective.

Back to the warehouse this morning, feeling optimistic on being able to take a shower once the caulk dries... Fingers crossed!

First newspaper with my stamp on it goes out this week, City Council night meeting and Commissioner's Court morning meeting to attend tomorrow. Interested to see how all this goes. So nice to walk into a job that I actually know how to do. Always seem to be in learning curve the first month or so in my other jobs.

Still holding off the decision whether to have the sale next weekend or the one after until I see how much we get done today. Would really like to be done with this first one, and well worth the extra work. I think. See how I feel later in the day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Happy Birthday Meg! :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Happy Mother's Day! :flowerforyou:

Liillian I could smell the smoke from Canada yesterday. We live near a park and I thought it might be on fire. When it comes this far south you know it is bad. Thoughts and prayers!

Went to a tea yesterday with a 1920's theme. They had an original fashion show from that period. The dresses were stunning. The bead work was done by hand and they used glass beads.

I have also been working in our yard like made trying to get gardening done. Thus I haven't posted much. Have a great day!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    drink-toast-smiley-emoticon.gif HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all my friends. I hope it is a special one for each of you.

Love ya,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore – Covering a table would be nice; covering the backsplash would be a good idea, too. We’re planning on staying in this home until we pass away. We cover one jar with a copper coin from Russia. That would make a good centerpiece. But, we don't need a table and don't have room for one, anyway. Well, maybe out on the glassed-in porch. Hopefully, DH will buy the 'door' that needs to go on it (outside door) so I can open the room without trying to cool it from the inside. I open it when the room is cooler than the inside of the house. He gets 'so mad' about it; but, I think I am 'trying' to 'hint' ... "then get the damn door up." LOL! Maybe that can be a Mother's Day gift; take me to Lowe's and let's buy it.

Anne from Wisconsin – Thanks. Will feel much better when they find out why my right ankle still hurts so badly. I can ‘walk’/’limp’ on it. Broke it and crushed the heel about 15 years ago in a bad wreck; pins and plates in it, not sure if that is what is making it hurt this long. X-ray technician at the ER, moved it side-to-side while x-raying it … I kept telling him that he was ‘hurting’ me. Seemed to only make he more determined to get it in such an awkward position to x-ray it.

Michele in NC – DOS has cleaned out the pool; but, still the water is too cold to get in; it is usually about ‘right’ the end of the month. I stuck my ankle in it and sat on the ladder. DDnL#1 and one of her friends, and DYGD got in; women up to their waists only; DYGD like a seal … any kind of fish. She didn’t care.

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY TO ALL THE MOMS!!!!!

Lillian in Saskatchewan – If y’all are out in the middle of a pasture; would making a ‘fire break’ with a tractor help any keeping the fire away from your house? I’d think it would have to be much wider than just one pass around with tractor/harrow. To burn here, we have to call the State Department of ??? to get permission to do so. If they say it is ‘ok’ (not too windy) … we burn when we can. We have a contained burn pile (in the wheel of a tractor) for weekly burning of trash.

Margaret - If I could 'smell' the smoke; I'd have to go inside and stay. About to go out and sit on the swing and read with DH. Nice quiet Mother's Day.

Lenora