Celibacy for a set amount of time

Options

Replies

• strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    strozman wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    I was voluntarily celibate for 2+ years. I was in a *kitten* place in my life and needed to take control. It was hard at first but after a about 6 months, it became easier. I had a high sex drive and it was incredibly difficult to pass up the opportunities that were given. After about a year, it was mostly second nature. It was frustrating to have my control tested... but in the end, it really helped me learn that I have control over my life and the things I do and that I can do anything I set my mind to with the right amount of willpower. I would promote it to you if you think it's something that would help you... but it's certainly not going to be fun.

Control is what I'm seeking. Although I worry the number of opportunities will fade

If anything the number of meaningful opportunities will increase. The less meaningful will always be there, only a few shots of tequila away.

Let's go out
  • Ashley___916
    Ashley___916 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was voluntarily celibate for 2+ years. I was in a *kitten* place in my life and needed to take control. It was hard at first but after a about 6 months, it became easier. I had a high sex drive and it was incredibly difficult to pass up the opportunities that were given. After about a year, it was mostly second nature. It was frustrating to have my control tested... but in the end, it really helped me learn that I have control over my life and the things I do and that I can do anything I set my mind to with the right amount of willpower. I would promote it to you if you think it's something that would help you... but it's certainly not going to be fun.

Control is what I'm seeking. Although I worry the number of opportunities will fade

If anything the number of meaningful opportunities will increase. The less meaningful will always be there, only a few shots of tequila away.

Let's go out

I don't drink tequila B)
  • Ashley___916
    Options

Let's go out

and im not a lambo ;)<3
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Any high sex drive people in here ever voluntarily go celibate for any significant amount of time (6 months-1yr)?

Done that three different times in my life, starting back in my early 20's, once in my mid 30's, and once when I was just over 40. Duration ranged from almost 2 months to over 7 months.

I will just say, the biggest force in the world that most people do not reckon with is their own sexuality. Of everything it is the hardest to deny and understand, and it causes more issues, confuses, and distract people from their true paths more than almost everything a person deals with. For me, it was important to understand it for myself.
  • strozman
    edited May 2016
    Options

Let's go out

and im not a lambo ;)<3

@ashley_916 is that a hard no? I don't want you to drink tequila just yet. And I don't need a lambo, as long as she's high quality
  • strozman
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Any high sex drive people in here ever voluntarily go celibate for any significant amount of time (6 months-1yr)?

Done that three different times in my life, starting back in my early 20's, once in my mid 30's, and once when I was just over 40. Duration ranged from almost 2 months to over 7 months.

I will just say, the biggest force in the world that most people do not reckon with is their own sexuality. Of everything it is the hardest to deny and understand, and it causes more issues, confuses, and distract people from their true paths more than almost everything a person deals with. For me, it was important to understand it for myself.

I like this. Thanks for the story, especially including the age you tried this at
  • Ashley___916
    Options

Let's go out

and im not a lambo ;)<3

@ashley_916 is that a hard no? I don't want you to drink tequila just yet. And I don't need a lambo, as long as she's high quality

<3
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I want to thank each of you for what appears to be honest and open conversation. It's a subject people have to think about in their lives.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I want to thank each of you for what appears to be honest and open conversation. It's a subject people have to think about in their lives.

No problem Jerome!!!
  • strozman
    Options

No problem Jerome!!!

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha why is it always about you @jessicajs23
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    May give you time to put full focus into yourself. There would have to be self-fulfillment though. I personally would go crazy.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

Ehhhhh you're still a hottie I can't imagine it's going to fade like you think! Best of luck with whatever you decide!

@kace_kayak thanks for the compliment, but I'm 40 and I can't imagine that they won't lol

Don't worry about being 40...lol....40 is the new 25!! I'm almost 47 and my guy still gawks and climbs all over me AL THE TIME....men still stare, some guys even try to peek at me in the car from their trucks..yes the compliments slow down a bit, but it doesn't go away, it just changes.. (not being conceited here whatsoever, I just want you to realize, just because we're getting older, our sexuality is still there, and people's attractions to us is still there too)lol. When you do get into a real relationship, instead of casual hookups, the quality of your sex will EXPLODE....I can almost promise you that. xo
  • Jamiepk1985
    Jamiepk1985 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    nope...can't do it. lol
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Couldn't do it! My life would be crappy without good sex and good wine.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Will it be productive? For me it's every 2 to 3 months, my wife lost her sex drive after eating wedding cake (what the hell do they make it with???).
    After well over a decade of anger and frustration (married 26 years) I learned that to be a better husband I needed to suppress that part of me and I learned to do that well but it has left me with the feeling that I'm not a whole person since a significant part of who I am needs to be "in the closet" and I don't see how that can be productive.
  • Jamiepk1985
    Jamiepk1985 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Will it be productive? For me it's every 2 to 3 months, my wife lost her sex drive after eating wedding cake (what the hell do they make it with???).
    After well over a decade of anger and frustration (married 26 years) I learned that to be a better husband I needed to suppress that part of me and I learned to do that well but it has left me with the feeling that I'm not a whole person since a significant part of who I am needs to be "in the closet" and I don't see how that can be productive.

Nothing about that sounds healthy for you... ;/

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No.
    Just no.

It counts towards my cardio.

Again, no.
  • buddy7ove
    buddy7ove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I went without for a year in my mid twenties! My nickname became 'long time boy'...why? Too much aids speculation at the time so I sat on the shelf until the so-called experts sorted their *kitten* out. I guess I dared myself and tested my will.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm celibate until I meet someone with long-term potential, which is impossible, so forever. Too much bad mojo when things get out of hand with the wrong person. .