Ask a Big Aussie Bloke...

Options

Replies

• Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Just when I thought I had escaped the soap opera that is Australian politics, it hits MFP!!!!

Everyone who says Australia can't afford another Labour government, then gets slapped with an argument over the source of the money and whether it was the Liberal government who actually got it to surplus or another former labour government ... it's basically a round about argument.

I think I'll vote Greens, or the National Sex Party ... or just throw a donkey vote.

Please no backlash people - I don't have much of an opinion over our politics, I know it effects us all, I'm just a bit over it all!
    I doubt there will be much backlash. Most folks won't know the players, let alone their politics. I just read too much politics.

If Green would follow their original tenets (sustainability, respect the planet instead of exploiting it) instead of delving into social issues, I might vote for them too... mainly because there is no credible Libertarian parties (Libertarian as opposed to Liberal, if you know the difference)...

Well you probably know more about Aussie politics than some Aussies, which is why this whole Julia v Kevin thing is such a soap opera,

My two cents on that: Kevin Rudd was who was voted in to be the Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gilliard was elected from the party, not the people, as much as the party is meant to represent the people, they quite often don't. I think the lack of party unison seen over the last few years may do them some damage at the election, but then again the freshness and soap opera has kept them in the spotlight and on people's minds. Then there is Tony Abbott, who in my opinion, doesn't do all that much for the Liberal Party appeal, when looking at the people specifically. It's certainly going to be an interesting election, I just hope that they remember it's about the Australian people, not a competition just between themselves.

I'm neither here nor there about any of them, but it was great for Australia to have a woman as prime minister, I think it did a lot for inspiring young women.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Anything you like!
    I heard Kevin Rudd ousted Julia Gillard. Strangest example of recycling I've ever heard of... reusing Prime Ministers!! Here in Canada, when we're done with a PM, we toss them out!

What do you figure this means for the upcoming election? Can Australia afford another Labour government?

Just when I thought I had escaped the soap opera that is Australian politics, it hits MFP!!!!

Everyone who says Australia can't afford another Labour government, then gets slapped with an argument over the source of the money and whether it was the Liberal government who actually got it to surplus or another former labour government ... it's basically a round about argument.

I think I'll vote Greens, or the National Sex Party ... or just throw a donkey vote.

Please no backlash people - I don't have much of an opinion over our politics, I know it effects us all, I'm just a bit over it all!

let's move to America :p
  • Mr_Competitive
    Options
    Rudd got busted harvesting and eating ear wax on TV... you dont come back from that do you?

Abbot wears speedo's in public but he carried it off ok

Gotta love Aussie politics :)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,957 Member
    Options
    Well you probably know more about Aussie politics than some Aussies, which is why this whole Julia v Kevin thing is such a soap opera,

My two cents on that: Kevin Rudd was who was voted in to be the Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gilliard was elected from the party, not the people, as much as the party is meant to represent the people, they quite often don't. I think the lack of party unison seen over the last few years may do them some damage at the election, but then again the freshness and soap opera has kept them in the spotlight and on people's minds. Then there is Tony Abbott, who in my opinion, doesn't do all that much for the Liberal Party appeal, when looking at the people specifically. It's certainly going to be an interesting election, I just hope that they remember it's about the Australian people, not a competition just between themselves.

I'm neither here nor there about any of them, but it was great for Australia to have a woman as prime minister, I think it did a lot for inspiring young women.
    When I first read about the Rudd and Gillard thing, I checked to calendar to see if April 1st came late this year. The more I read of it, the thought that came to mind was "tempest in a teacup" but I wondered if I was underestimating it.

Agreed about Julia and inspiration effect. It would be brilliant (in politics and otherwise) if gender wasn't any more remarkable than colour of hair or eyes but alas...

Next question: any decent routes for a long motorcycle ride down under? If so, what is your favorite??
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,957 Member
    Options
    let's move to America :p
    Come to Canada instead. We're both Commonwealth countries and we've always got along brilliantly...
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Do you all really hate wabbits?
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options

I only hate eating them, they are cute and furry little buggers but some areas they are considered pests.

Motorcycle routes - Pacific Highway between Sydney and the Central Coast

http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/country/14
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Options

Ask a farmer ... they're just cute little bunny's people keep as pets in the city here :-)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie - haven't been bitten by a snake, but have been bitten by spiders and a pelican (*kitten*!).
    My parents live in a semi-rural are and have kangaroos grazing on the lawn...
    I ride horses and have chased cows.

I've been bitten my a spider as big as the palm of my hand! It was in the washing on the line but luckily it wasn't a deadly sort. Scared the hell out of me till I worked out what sort it was! It was a Huntsman spider.

See one here..

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/database/huntsman-spider.html
  • random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump as an Aussie I'm finding this interesting to read, more interesting than the cricket at the moment. :happy:
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    My dream has always been to visit Australia, but I am TERRIFIED of spiders and you guys have the Funnel Web Spider...those suckers can kill you instantly (or so I've heard) so I am doomed to looking at pictures of the beautiful country!! :sad:
  • bigaussiebloke
    bigaussiebloke Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    RIGHT! What the bloody hell is going on here! My post had been Hijacked!

I love it!

:drinker:

PS - I actually do not have the true "Ocker" accent. I have spent most of my life growing up in the city! I have been told I have a voice that would be perfect for radio and my accent is "Awesome" but to be honest, I agree with what has been said - We don't have accents, you do :wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do you have Harley Davidson there?
  • bigaussiebloke
    bigaussiebloke Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do you have Harley Davidson there?

We sure do :drinker:
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Options
    I'm an Aussie - haven't been bitten by a snake, but have been bitten by spiders and a pelican (*kitten*!).

HAHAHAHAHA pelican bite - been there as a kid, they can be angry little guys!

No snake or spider bites for me either,

Wombat bite at an animal farm one tho!
  • melb_alex
    Options
    RIGHT! What the bloody hell is going on here! My post had been Hijacked!

I love it!

:drinker:

PS - I actually do not have the true "Ocker" accent. I have spent most of my life growing up in the city! I have been told I have a voice that would be perfect for radio and my accent is "Awesome" but to be honest, I agree with what has been said - We don't have accents, you do :wink:

hahahha me too! Infact I sound a bit english I have been told! I have friends with the bogan accent argh! 'Me mate and me did this' argh! haha
  • melb_alex
    Options

HAHAHAHAHA pelican bite - been there as a kid, they can be angry little guys!

No snake or spider bites for me either,

Wombat bite at an animal farm one tho!

hahahah I was bitten by a horse once! It jsut nipped me but it was bloody scary!!! My biggest phobia and I stupidly saw Arachnophobia :sad:

I have never seen a funnel web spider (but then again that very word will have me leaving the room!)

I AM SO GLAD THERE ARE HARDLY ANY IN MELBOURNE!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My dream has always been to visit Australia, but I am TERRIFIED of spiders and you guys have the Funnel Web Spider...those suckers can kill you instantly (or so I've heard) so I am doomed to looking at pictures of the beautiful country!! :sad:

They do not kill instantly. No one has died from a funnel web bite since the anti venom was introduced in the early eighties, compared to 16 people who have died from rattlesnake bite during that period.

If you are really worried there is a lot (a lot) of Australia with no funnel webs. Samples include the Great Barrier Reef, Wandjina sites in Western Australia, the remnant rainforests of Gondwanaland in Queensland and the ancient heart of the country in the Northern Territory - funnel free!

Edit stoopid tablet and its stoopid pokey screen
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Are you the new zyzz?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Enough of the thread highjack.

Hey, Big Aussie Bloke

where do you buy your meat?

Local butcher around the corner or sometimes head out to a place called Dayboro about a half hour away...have the best flavoured snags I have ever tasted:drinker:

So you are in Ferny Grove, maybe Samford? The only local butcher I have is a Clancy James and they are very expensive, or I can buy bad produce from Woolies or Coles. Looking for the happy medium.