Ask a Big Aussie Bloke...

Replies

• Hahahaha. Great thread. I live in Australia...and in my part of the world it does feel kind of like everything wants to kill me...I currently have Antechinus up in my loft...they're like small marsupial things but are carnivores..pretty sure they eat your toes....and don't forget about the drop bears...
  • 2012ALM
    2012ALM Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks Chris!
    What is your opinion on South Yarra? I'm moving to AU in about 4 months and I was told I could take a train from here to work pretty easily.

It's one of the nicer suburbs in Melbourne. My mate lives there and loves it. If you are a city person, it would be a good choice IMO :smile:
    [/quote]
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Ha since this thread has been resurrected, I leave on Wednesday and arrive on Friday. I'll let you know if I make it out alive...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    well since big aussie bloke has deactivated, I am happy to take over as resident random Aussie guy :tongue:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    well since big aussie bloke has deactivated, I am happy to take over as resident random Aussie guy :tongue:

Ah, he hasn't, has he?

Where do you buy your meat then, Chris.

Qld has just gone bonkers, reclassifying free range from 1500 per hectare to 10,000 per hectare. Good for farmers, bad for chooks!

Where do you buy your eggs and chickens?
  • chrisdavey
    I get em all over the place. I eat far too much chicken to be able to afford free range stuff unfortunately :( If I could I would.

Basically for me, whereever is the cheapest and I usually buy in bulk. Sometimes that is the local butcher and sometimes Aldi or Woolies. I hear super butcher in Brisbane do ridiculous specials. Unsure if they are located in other places though.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Heard there are a lot of topless beaches in Australia.Is it true ?:love:
  • chrisdavey
    Heard there are a lot of topless beaches in Australia.Is it true ?:love:

There is one nudist beach in my area. I went there when I was younger looking for hotness, found a whole heap of oldies :laugh:

I would say in general, topless sunbaking is not as open as say some European countries. Aussies are a bit timid re nudity I think. Say in comparison to Japanese people who just don't seem to care at all.
  • Glad to see we have a new random aussie guy to represent us :wink:
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    I would love to visit sometime, but I have a HUGE fear of spiders! Is there any place over there free of these terrifying monsters?

image_zps4b7d19e3.jpg

Barely any in Melbourne! Too cold for them!
  • chrisdavey
    Too cold for humans too :tongue:
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    I would love to go to Australia someday it seems like a beautiful country! If I ever get the chance what are your must see destinations?
  • bregalad5

Y'know, I've figured out since meeting some Aussies, that there's a reason I had never met one in person until I moved south. They'd never ever EVER survive where I'm from! :wink: Average high in January = 31.2F (-0.4C) average low in January = 18.5F (-7.5C). Record low = -20F (-29C). All this is without wind chills, which can decrease the air temp by several degrees. I remember school being closed once because the wind chill hit below -50F (-45C, so this is even colder than where the temps cross!). However, if you can survive the winters, the summers are awesome and very mild!

Alright, I'll let you get back to your "cold" winter. I look forward to freezing my @ss off when I land there :laugh: . Love, an American who is from a cold part of the US that's not nearly as cold as some parts of Canada! :drinker:
  • chrisdavey

Y'know, I've figured out since meeting some Aussies, that there's a reason I had never met one in person until I moved south. They'd never ever EVER survive where I'm from! :wink: Average high in January = 31.2F (-0.4C) average low in January = 18.5F (-7.5C). Record low = -20F (-29C). All this is without wind chills, which can decrease the air temp by several degrees. I remember school being closed once because the wind chill hit below -50F (-45C, so this is even colder than where the temps cross!). However, if you can survive the winters, the summers are awesome and very mild!

Alright, I'll let you get back to your "cold" winter. I look forward to freezing my @ss off when I land there :laugh: . Love, an American who is from a cold part of the US that's not nearly as cold as some parts of Canada! :drinker:

WOW! I can deal with some cold if there is good mountains for snowboarding nearby :tongue: Coldest I've been is -18C in Japan and that was plenty for me!

View from my balcony on this lovely Winter day. My favourite time of the year actually.

20130806_103105.jpg

9-23C today.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Beautiful winters day up here in Queensland too. 26 degrees C and not a cloud in the sky.
  • Shiree80
    Shiree80 Posts: 18 Member
    What the heck is a kiwi?? Besides a fruit that is.
  • bregalad5

It's a nickname for someone from New Zealand. It's also a type of bird.
  • bregalad5
    WOW! I can deal with some cold if there is good mountains for snowboarding nearby :tongue: Coldest I've been is -18C in Japan and that was plenty for me!

View from my balcony on this lovely Winter day. My favourite time of the year actually.

20130806_103105.jpg

9-23C today.

Beautiful view! Maybe I'll post a pic or two from the Gold Coast next week while I'm enjoying the beach :)

Yeah, every Aussie I've told about my home area is blown away. So, I just giggle pretty hard when you folks complain about winter ;) It's funny because it's normal for me, but since I've been living 500 miles south it's a bit chilly for me now, too, when I visit for Christmas. As punishment I'll be freezing my @ss off in Russia this coming winter... :ohwell:
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Whatever happened to Aussie master carpenter James Lunday?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

This is a kiwi about the cutest animal around, but I didnt think they were native to Aussie

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCSJn_cSQq7pdzBLO3qVEweGKWEW1C9rwqAmWeRQm9y6nAuWwy