WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Anne from WN: Karen has given you wonderful advice. I hope you are able to follow it. (((HUGS))) :heart:

grits: I remember when Doberman Pincers were the dog of choice for drug dealers. They were taught to be aggressive and the breed got a bad name because of it. Now Pitbulls are getting the attention that used to go to Dobermans. Bad dogs are far more rare than bad owners. :grumble:

Heather: Is the departure day? Bon Voyage! :bigsmile:

bonnie824: Welcome. Bookmark the page by clicking on the hollow star at the top of the page. When I log in the next day the site automatically takes me to my own last post and I start from there. That way I don't miss seeing any posts. :flowerforyou:

Yesterday I went to a retirement party for one of my teaching partners. It was wonderful to see everyone! I had an early appetizer with a close friend and followed her to the site of the party. So many people I worked with were there. I really enjoyed seeing them again. This is the second retirement party I've been to since I lost weight. I didn't go last year. People were surprised to see the change again. A few of those may not have seen me the last time. I was afraid I'd way over done it on the food but the scale gave me good news this morning--no gain.

Heat warnings here today. We plan to stay cool. I'm so glad someone was inspired to invent air conditioning! I'm very grateful for it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip - And I was just voicing a story as well. Politics, Religion, and dog stories won't be something I mention; unless the (dog) story is pleasant.

Katla - My Mimi had small Doberman Pinchers and a couple of Dalmatians. ALL of them were very 'protective' of her. None of them did I want to be around. I've only had 1 big dog since DH and I have been married; I prefer a smaller dog, such as a JRT, Beagle, or my "Jack Rat" (who makes us laugh all the time). I had big dogs while growing up - usually playing with my Daddy's 'hunting dogs'. You're right; there are more bad owners who train their dogs to be aggressive and fighting than 'bad' dogs (counting all of them). I have to relate a story about my BF; whose grandson had 2 Pit-Bulls - they'd bark and sound awful if you came in their yard; but, were really very sweet. The female saw the dog (another pit-bull) in the yard next door and dug under the fence to play with him; she was going to require more than a 1000 stitches and a long recovery, if she survived the injuries and the surgery to close them; she had her put down; and, cried for days.

Growing up we had 'bird dogs' and I played with them which can sometimes make them 'sorry' bird dogs; but, my Daddy let me because he took them out twice or more times a week and hunted with them. First dog my parents had after I was born was a German Shepard; paper man came around the side of the house to give my mother the paper; and, the dog went into his stance of protection and growled. Mother had to 'sign' to him to 'go back' and 'leave the paper' on the front doorstep. He was deaf and mute. My favorite dog was a small German shepherd mix who got left on our doorstep the Christmas Eve of my Junior year in HS. He whined and sounded like a baby; which it could have been since my Daddy was an attorney and would have made sure a baby got a good home. I went to the door and he was sitting on the 'gang plank' that had been laid from the foundation of the old porch to the front door. He followed me wherever I went; then he followed my Daddy everywhere after I went off to 'art school'. Never 'messed' in the house and once got locked up in the office over a weekend. Tried chewing the door open; couldn't ... but he about knocked my Daddy down as he shot past him to 'go do his business' elsewhere. I cried when he disappeared (probably got stolen); maybe by a disgruntled client. Two pointers, 2 Red Spaniels (one Daddy brought one home that he found wandering in the woods; figured she must have been 'gun shy' and left by owner to die), Springer Spaniel that my Daddy had to put down because I did not put the chain back on the fence gate and she got out and was hit by a car. He hit me; hard with it - and then realized what he had done, and threw it out in the yard. He hugged me, started crying, and told me he was sorry; he'd never hit me 'in anger' ... but, he was angry that day. In fact, he had never even spanked me. I cried, too - not from being hit by a link of chain; but, because I had also lost a pet. We've never put a dog or a cat down; but, would have if they would have suffered too much. It would be like putting a family member down - which I don't believe in.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    .74 miles done 326 to go
  • Free_style
    Free_style Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the group but would like to post my intentions for the of June 2016. My name is Paula and I reside in Northern California. There's so much I can write but as we become better acquainted, I can share. In February 2015, I weighed 161 pounds, today I am at 185 pounds. Life happens...So I am on a journey to get healthier and have a better life with less aches and pains. Yikes!

My June 2016 intentions are as follows:

[*] Log my food in MFP or journal daily
    [*] Walk 2-3 miles each morning
    [*] Daily affirmation
    [*] Take multivitamins daily
    [*] Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily
    [*] Limit total screen time TV and extraneous computer activity to 2 hours per day
    [*] Lift weights 3 times a week
    [*] Learn to meditate and stress less
    [*] Focus on finding a job
    [*] Declutter Mom's garage when time permits
    [*] Ride bicycle as often as possible
    [*] Core strengthening, twice a week for at minimum 20 minutes
    [*] Yoga or stretching, twice a week for 20 minutes
    [*] Daily prayer and meditation
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    .74 miles done 326 to go

You set challenging goals. I'm sure you'll get there. :heart:

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My goal for June is a lot simpler--log consistently on mfp.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Internet sooooooo so in the cabin, but I'm giving it a go!
    All going very well so far, but DH and I nearly fell out over cupboard space!

It appears, because we have booked a very good cabin, that we get free room service, free drinks, free canapés, free snacks, free tea and coffee - all in our suite and ..... wait for it ......FREE LAUNDRY!!!!!!!!!!!!! How great is that! If I'd known I wouldn't have brought so much stuff!
    Managed to book a lovely table for two that is ours for the voyage. Next to the Captain 's table.
    The highlight of today was the champagne party on deck with a fly by of a Spitfire!!!!!!!!!!! Cool, or what? Over the White Cliffs Of Dover, which was playing. I got a snap with my phone, but I'm having trouble sending it to myself, so can't post it yet.

The meal tonight looks great, but I'm running out of calories, even though I exercised this morning. I will go fishy, no carbs and not much sauce.

DH likes it all, apart from the row over the storage. :D
    We have a lovely balcony with comfortable seating and the evening sun.
    Dinner at 7pm.
    Tomorrow I will investigate the tiny indoor pool and the gym. :D Loads of stairs on the boat though.

Heather UK
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this group! I am 53 and struggling with my weight yet again. I have 30lbs to lose which doesn't seem bad considering I lost 200lbs 15 years ago and only gained back top hose 30, but it is a constant yoyo thing. I am really into health and Besides from the out of control feeling I with food scaring me, the thought of health issues as I age scares me just as much. I was a caregiver to my dad for 8 years before he passed away a year and a half ago. The grief of that has led my back to food for comfort and as you all already know, food really isn't that comforting!
    I am ready to get back my self confidence and feel comfortable in my skin again and would love the accountability and support! I will be here to support you all as well. Funny of all the diets I have tried over the years I have never tried weight watchers and was thinking of joining but thought what is the difference between that and MFP if I just took advantage of the group support?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    .74 miles done 326 to go

You set challenging goals. I'm sure you'll get there. :heart:

it's only cuz of this bicycle challenge. i ran today but didn't do as long or as many miles as i had initially planned. my calves and hamstrings are tight because of all the riding during the week so i only ran for an hr instead of 2, still did over 6mi so that was ok, can't train for the marathon AND try to make this 400 mile bike goal at the same time... i'll kill myself
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Becca, I may not be reading it right or not completely understanding the severity of the situation, but isn't a stone in the duct better than rejection? Or will the surgery to remove the stone be just as serious on a transplanted liver as it would be for a whole new transplant. Of course Charlie always says I look at everything through rose colored glasses. So I may just not be 'hearing' how bad this may be. Hope you all get a good night's sleep and have a peaceful weekend. As far as your diet, well sometimes it's just hard to do it in stress so don't beat yourself up. let us love on you and you love on your hubbie.

You are reading it perfectly. I will take a stone stuck in a duct any day, over a liver that has gone into rejection mode! I don't know exactly how they remove the stuck stone, if its major surgery, or they just go in and ultra-blast it with a ray gun sort of thing.... Ok I am making a joke out of everything, but what else is there to do... :-)

Husband did get a good nights sleep last night, and his eyes aren't as scratchy feeling from the jaundice.

I left a message with my eldest son that is in the Navy, to call me sometime today. I need a favor from him. With all this traveling to and from Portland, and more travels to come, we are down to $100 for the month, (and this month just started!) Kind of going into mini-panic mode, so he has always said, "If I can help just tell me what I need to do". Well, helping with gas, or meals I am eating at the hospital is a good start son, is what I am going to say. Maybe calling your brother when we leave him alone to fend for himself, is another thing he can do. My son is 17, so none of you freak out! lol This past Thursday, when my husband had his MRI, I called him at 3:40 PM when he got home from school, and let him chat to me about his day. Then I called him at 5 PM to remind him to eat dinner. He stated that he was having toast with a pot of coffee....*sighes*.... I called him at 8:45 PM to wish him good night. Am I smothering the boy? Well maybe a wee bit.

Today it is bright blue skies at the coast. Everyone and their brother is here from Portland, escaping the heat there. And of course the weathermen all say, "Go to the coast, the weather is perfect there". Wish they would quit that! lol....

I shall do my normal nudist thing, and put quilts over my balcony and lay out butt naked... hahahaha... Maybe when I am having my afternoon snack I shall make teenager son go out and get his dose of vitamin D. It's pretty easy if you lock the sliding door.... I did that once, and the look I got from the kid was PRICELESS.....

Everyone have a good weekend. Eat like you are at a spa, and put cut fruit or celery in your water...

I plan on having some great campanelle pasta....(its weird curly and holds sauce or soup flavors really well), some tilapia fish, spinach, all saute'ed beautifully with lots of spices, and in a chicken broth. A fish stew kind of. Then sprinkling some Parmesan cheese over it all.

Then 3 prunes (the Ones' that are in individual plastic packets) and some iced Moroccan mint green tea to top my day off!!

That is my PLAN and I shall stick to it.

Becca
    Oregon

• Annr
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Carey- Northern Alberta~ Glad you like my descriptions!! I am such a foodie!! I think food preparations should have PASSION, and to combine flavors, letting them all make merry in the pan is fun. My mother was a Betty Crocker cook, and food when I was growing up was functional, and had a purpose, I don't remember really being Passionate eating something. Now not to dis anyone that learned to cook from Betty Crocker cook books. I showed a picture of a lady in the older Betty Crocker cookbook that I have, with 8 arms all holding something crazy and said to my teenager... That was what my mom looked like. haha...
    Becca
  • tshirtartist
    Options
    Hi becca...I heard the wether man and am at the coast as well. It is gorgeous here. We are in our motorhome and my husband and dogs are still sleeping. So having some green tea and waiting for everyone to get up so we can all eat breakfast together. Already have my green smoothie made and ready to watch the waves and enjoy!
    Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!
    Robin....also from oregon.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Becca I'm sure you googled it...stones stuck in the grand duct are removed with an endoscope. Not that bad a procedure as procedures go. My DH had it done a number of years ago when the patient was awake now that's not the case. Hope that's the problem...not rejection.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I forget to sign GLo from the sunny North Shore of Ma
  • Annr
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Free_style wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to the group but would like to post my intentions for the of June 2016. My name is Paula and I reside in Northern California. There's so much I can write but as we become better acquainted, I can share. In February 2015, I weighed 161 pounds, today I am at 185 pounds. Life happens...So I am on a journey to get healthier and have a better life with less aches and pains. Yikes!

My June 2016 intentions are as follows:

[*] Log my food in MFP or journal daily
    [*] Walk 2-3 miles each morning
    [*] Daily affirmation
    [*] Take multivitamins daily
    [*] Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily
    [*] Limit total screen time TV and extraneous computer activity to 2 hours per day
    [*] Lift weights 3 times a week
    [*] Learn to meditate and stress less
    [*] Focus on finding a job
    [*] Declutter Mom's garage when time permits
    [*] Ride bicycle as often as possible
    [*] Core strengthening, twice a week for at minimum 20 minutes
    [*] Yoga or stretching, twice a week for 20 minutes
    [*] Daily prayer and meditation

Sounds like a great plan! Welcome to our group. If you have any mental baggage, just unload it off to the white sides of this forum. I got a huge @$$ broom to sweep it all up with... (who gave me this thing, I can't remember).
    One thing that helps me is that I have a stack of index cards with great sayings on them. I go thru them weekly. I think re-programming how we think is important. It's a physical task to positive thinking. So I have spray painted some glass inserts from some pictures I don't use anymore, with chalk paint. Then I just put it back in the frame and write what I want my brain to get. I presently have the "TOPS pledge" on my kitchen wall. TOPS stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly, and is a group that is world wide. Just a physical place I can be accountable. This is the pledge.

I am an intelligent person.
    I will control my emotions, and not let my emotions control me.
    Every time I am tempted to use food,
    to satisfy my frustrated desires, build up my injured ego, or dull my senses
    I will remember that I will take off pounds sensibly.

I think most of weight loss is a mind game.

Here is my favorite one.

Losing weight is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to losing weight.

Again, Welcome!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    I am so glad I found this group! I am 53 and struggling with my weight yet again. I have 30lbs to lose which doesn't seem bad considering I lost 200lbs 15 years ago and only gained back top hose 30, but it is a constant yoyo thing. I am really into health and Besides from the out of control feeling I with food scaring me, the thought of health issues as I age scares me just as much. I was a caregiver to my dad for 8 years before he passed away a year and a half ago. The grief of that has led my back to food for comfort and as you all already know, food really isn't that comforting!
    I am ready to get back my self confidence and feel comfortable in my skin again and would love the accountability and support! I will be here to support you all as well. Funny of all the diets I have tried over the years I have never tried weight watchers and was thinking of joining but thought what is the difference between that and MFP if I just took advantage of the group support?

Welcome! I have done WW once but that was in the 1990's. Back then, you went to a center, stood in line, and had a weight book. They did the points thing, and I remember it being a lot of numbers to keep in your head about how many pts was this or that. I am sure now, its very different, with all the APPS on phones etc. The MFP helps with the mental support, knowing you aren't in this alone etc, but the physical part of being accountable is important too. I to the TOPS club, (google it and it tells you everything). I know that many people do this journey by themselves, not telling family or their mates, just doing it without a support system is hard. When I get on a program, I tell everyone I know! It is rallying the troops, and the ones that don't support me are out. I don't want to waste my time convincing them of my journey they need to be loyal. Luckily my husband and son are just that. I have tried Jenny Craig, and she took my money but I didn't learn anything. I think if you have some great friends around you that you work out with, they could be your support system as well, and that is less money then WW. I know when I went to the centers I wasted a lot of time listening to "whiners". Now I am not a callus person or non feeling, but you are in the drivers seat of your own life. Whiners to me are people that use a lot of energy on the negative, and not celebrating the positive. Now that is my opinion and I have a right to it, don't put me in the "whiner bashing" catagory now!!! hahaha...
    Welcome again from a gal that speaks from brain to hand...
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Hi becca...I heard the wether man and am at the coast as well. It is gorgeous here. We are in our motorhome and my husband and dogs are still sleeping. So having some green tea and waiting for everyone to get up so we can all eat breakfast together. Already have my green smoothie made and ready to watch the waves and enjoy!
    Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!
    Robin....also from oregon.

Looking out my window....where are you!!!! hahaha... I am up by Astoria in a wee little town called Hammond, you?
    Becca
  • tshirtartist
    Options
    I am in brookings Oregon since I live in southern Oregon so looking out your windows won't help. Haha
    Enjoy the sunshine!
  • Annr
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Becca I'm sure you googled it...stones stuck in the grand duct are removed with an endoscope. Not that bad a procedure as procedures go. My DH had it done a number of years ago when the patient was awake now that's not the case. Hope that's the problem...not rejection.

He has had many endoscopy's. He had them pre-transplant. Once at OHSU (hospital in Portland OR) he was to have one done. So he goes in and promptly goes to sleep. A nurse looked in on him and just presumed that he was waking up from anesthesia, so she gave him some apple juice. The moment he was about to take a sip, she asked if he has had the procedure. My husband said, "I don't think so". The nurse had informed me that he was waking up so I was in there. She then took his apple juice and mumbled something. At that point my husband and I were laughing so hard. Some procedures they are so excited to let you know you can watch your procedure on the video screen. My husbands response...um no thank you.
    Becca
    Oregon