Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Got a call from the shelter asking me to foster a tiny baby in dire straits. He is 1.8 pounds, and has an open compound fracture of his right front leg. They cannot amputate until he weighs 3 pounds. He also has lice and cannot get treated for that until he is 2 pounds. Too tiny and compromised to maintain his body heat. Needs fed formula with a syringe. May need subQ fluids. Guess what I will be doing...
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Audiogal: I have been making 1 change at a time. First I cut out sugar and breads/pasta. Then I cut out processed foods. This month I started walking 3 times a week. I know it's hard without family support. All the snacks calling your name. Just take it 1 minute at a time. And don't beat yourself up for eating something not on your eating plan.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    wow ya'll have been busy today!!!
    I worked until noon, came home and got the futon and my room rearranged a bit.. so I have futon in couch mode, and I kinda like it, sometimes Tom watches something in the family room that I am not interested in, and the loveseat out there is not comfortable.. i sat down this afternoon on the futon and next thing ya know I hear Tom at the door saying I was snoring :open_mouth: ..
    we did go out to early dinner and then to SAM's club-got him some glucosomine/condrotine,msm pills to take, and then stopped at walmart for a small bottle of aleve.. so we shall see if it helps with the pain..
    going grocery shopping early tomorrow.. trying to sit here and decide what to make for dinners the next couple weeks.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Miriam - Hopefully declining it; can you imagine what you'd have to go through to get rid of lice? They get everywhere ... you've got children to think about (and pets). Nahda; not me. The only thing I will get up and feed at night is a 'human' baby. And the only thing I'd be willing to deal with lice would be a small child. Just the 'thought' of lice makes me itch. You do this, then you are a much braver woman than I'll ever be.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :#
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lat1963: Your goal is an excellent way to begin. Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Bon Voyage! I hope you both have an enjoyable trip and look forward to updates along the way. :bigsmile:

tshirtartist: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Pip: Work hard, but take care of yourself, too. (((HUGS))) No killing yourself. :noway:

Becca: I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hope things go well. :heart: Do you anticipate more trips into OSHU? :huh:

Regarding Washigton drivers, Perhaps the Washingtonians drive 30 mph on our 45 mph roads because they're used to driving 25 mph on their freeways. Just sayin' :wink: That said, I drove about 35 mph for a few miles on the freeway through Portland during rush hour yesterday. :embarassed:

Free_style: Welcome to a great group. Your June intentions list looks daunting. My list is only 5 items long. I wish you luck with your list, and hope it isn't too overwhelming. :flowerforyou:

janetr: Thanks for sharing the wild turkey picture. :smiley:

Bridget in KS: Welcome! I like your goals. It looks like you're already well on your way to meeting your goals. :flowerforyou:

Marcelyn: Gosh, I thought the picture of you and the shark was on a Texas roadway. :wink: I'm glad to know you get to go on a trip where you can swim with the sharks. :smiley:

audiogal: A good support system is ready for you right here. Take things one day at a time. Start by measuring your portions and logging every bite and swallow. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: Good luck helping the poor little guy. Is he stable enough to leave the hospital setting? :heart:

I'm having a fine time sitting inside my air-conditioned house and looking and a beautiful sunshiney day but I'd like to get outside and experience 93 degrees. I think I'll take my dog down the road to the boat ramp and let him swim a bit.

Katla in Beautiful and HOT NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    audiogal wrote: »
    Hi. I'm new to MFP & am looking for motivation & lots of encouragement. Not sure how all this works. Not very tech savvy.....I have lots of weight to lose & health issues that I would love to be helped with weight loss. Lots of stress at work & no support at home. Dealing with depression as well. Any thoughts?

Welcome to MFP and to this thread :-) We don't expect tech savvy, so no worries. We are all on our journey's some started, some maintaining but there is no judging just accountability, and support. Logging onto this site everyday, and seeing how others get it done is motivational. There are some amazing ladies here, and they will tell you how they got it done.

Sorry you don't get support at home. There are many here that can relate to that.

I have learned to be more forgiving about my journey. Life really does happen when you are busy making plans. I have learned that it helps to have a journal and "unload" stuff that clutters my mind, so I can be who I wish to be.

Here is a saying that has helped me:

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe its unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

When I read that the first time, I realized I don't have to live up to anyone's standards but my own. That I COULD be imperfectly perfect, and so that is how I look at my journey.

Another one that makes alot of sense to me is:

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

For me it meant to start .....start treating myself with respect. To not settle eating crap but fixing food that fuels me. That the act of starting is the great part.

Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes I have to look at every meal as an individual accomplishment to conquer. When I do what I say, and say what I mean. To eat what I write down, and not cheat myself out of being healthy girl for a day.

Again welcome!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Katla~ Yep we are anticipating them calling us on Monday for the surgery/endoscopy. My son called me back and I talked to him out on the balcony. I had just misted myself with sun lotion and didn't want to get up. It is really wrong to talk to your son while lying in the nude.?...hahahahaha. Well he said no problem in wiring us some funds (I shall be paying him back the next month...without interest though). I told him he was a good son. I know my husband is wary of calling our sons for funds, but I see it as payback. I have no guilt in this, life happens. He did state that I could start bringing my own lunch from home.....he has always been so thrifty. I suppose I could, and I do bring snacks, but I would rather not pack around a cooler, I just want food when I want it. Nor do I wish to think....oh I need to eat that salad before it turns wimpy or a sandwich turning soggy. I have other things to think about.... Ok I am making excuses I know... lol
    I would imagine there will be one more check up after the procedure, or maybe we could do that checkup at our hospital here. OHSU is kind of picky when it comes to that. They want all the glory, and have their OWN people doing the labs, (hense a trip to OHSU for blood work has happened). Do they not have confidence in Providence Hospital to do it correct? I don't know.
    93 degrees.....its a nice windy 75 here. In the sun though its really hot! I have drunk (sp?) a liter of lemonwater already!!

Becca
    Oregon
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't need to have foods 'off' our food plan, if we could eat anything and everything but in the proper portions so that they fit into our overal dietary goal.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    The half-marathon was today and I crossed the finish line in fine form. My daughter finished in 5th place among women and 17th place overall. Guess who's a proud mama... I'm pooped now, though. Must hit the sack.

/Penny

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    jog- 1hr, 9.35ap, 6.2-6.6sp, 135ahr, 155mhr, 6.25mi = 559c
    recumbent stationary bike- 23.21min, 87arpm, resist 1, 4.62mi = 143
    Total cal 702
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Some how I Can see Miriam saying yes to that little animal and bring it back to health. Miriam, you never did say but I assume it is a tiny kitten? Have your girls ever gone through that type of experience of getting up numerous times during the night to syringe feed? It can be quite an exhilirating experience for kids to do that. We did it with our girls only it was usually baby rabbits, birds falling out of nest, etc. My daughter worked at a pet store and they had an unwritten policy that all the vets and rescue places knew about. If there was an injured wild animal like a bunny rabbits that mother had been killed with lawnmower, birds falling out of tree, sugar gliders, discarded tame rabbits, the store would take them and they knew any employee would take them home and nurse them to health. I can't say that DH helped with all the feedings but did enjoy the antics of our dog with all the animals that came through our home that summer. But it sure was fun and quite a learning experience. I know that if he dies and I am this young, who knows what animals I may take in. Not that I am even thinking that he would die anytime.

Speaking of that man, he really wants to get out. He regretably ate a meal at home and i already have a nice hearty beef stew prepped for tomorrow.Just need to put it in the slow cooker with spices tomorrow. Although he is doing very well, it still hurts a lot to cough and I can just imagine picking up a bug some where while we are out. I am going to try to get to church tomorrow morning. I have no idea what the choir is singing so I won't do that. But just sitting in the congregation and soaking in the choirs music will do so much for me..

Welcome to all the new ones here. You have all been given great advice. But everyone is different. And some people have to plan and others have to learn something new each day. My greatest advice is don't set your goals for yourself so high or tight that you are actually setting yourself up for failure. When I first started out I had weight loss goals in 20 pound increments. I soon found out that it was taking me so long to get to 10 pounds that if I were going to make it, the 20 pound increments had to go. 10 pounds was workable. Give yourself rewards. it may be a pedicure, or if your finances allow, a new piece of jewelry. But be nice to yourself. And if you are listening to me, then you have to also see yourself fail and then get kicked in the butt by these fine women here to get you back on track once you are ready to get back on track. I lost 60 pounds, gained back 45 of them and have lost 15 of those lousy pounds.

Joyce, Indiana. Can't holler all the way to Oregon.

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

OMG was it hot and humid today for our neighborhood yard sale. I did okay but not great. We didn’t have as much traffic as we normally do. At least at my house there was shade until about 11:00. Some neighbors had none and it was unbearable.hot-sun-smiley-emoticon.gif

June, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often and good luck.

Janetr, I have wondered about Mindy also. I hope she is okay.

Kim, so glad you enjoyed your DN’s graduation.

Anne, sending good thoughts for you to feel better soon. Glad you are seeing someone and hope it helps.

Bonnie, welcome. If you can make yourself stick with this, even if you have to start over a number of times, you will find it works. This is a wonderful group for support so come often.

Katla, it was hot as all get out here today and I saw the weather Oregon was expecting. Hope you stayed cool.

Paula, welcome. You have a great list of goals. Keep coming here for support.

Heather, so far the ship and your stateroom sound wonderful. I can’t wait to hear more.
    Tshirt, welcome to you as well. That is fantastic that you lost all that weight. We will gladly support you on this journey. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific .

Pip, don’t kill yourself with running and biking. You do more than anyone I know as it is. You are amazing!!!

Bridget,

Janetr, I like the turkey picture. Isn’t nature entertaining?

KJ, congrats on all that activity and it’s only the 4th. clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif Keep up the great work.

Penny, congrats to you and your DD on the great race. You should be proud of both of you!congratulations-smiley-emoticon.gif

Margaret, I love your cages and how creative to paint them different colors.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It was an exhausting day so I’m going to turn in early. exhausted.gif I did get up at 4:30 this morning which is early for me. And gosh it was dark!!! I’m thinking of all of you and sending the best wishes for a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Joyce for some baby birds like wrens it is best not to interfere. The baby falls from the nest and the parents take care of it. I remember watching how much that baby wren wanted to get back into the nest, but it was time for it to be out. Some well meaning tourists just got into trouble for trying to rescue a baby buffalo. They had to put the buffalo down. If in doubt whether to help contact an animal rescue in your area if possible before taking in a wild animal.

We have a bumper crop of bunnies here. Unfortunately they do a tremendous amount of damage. That is why I am careful what I am planting this year and bought the bird cages. Some of my plants I am covering with chicken wire too.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Damnit- I will try not to kill myself - :0)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Good Wishes to all those starting the journey! I'm celebrating 120 days of logging having lost 33 of the 36 #s I gained in the year my DH was diagnosed, treated & recouped from epiglottis cancer...8/9 will be two years since the end of 5 day a week radiation & once a week chemo, a big milestone.

I'm doing yoga, core & free arm weights 6 days a wk & this morning I added push-ups!!! I can actually do 10 push-ups! I've never been able to do them even though I could tote a 50# bag of soil or bird seed. Listening to all the activities that so many of you do, Pip, Penny, Larisa, Michele in NC are all I can think of at the moment, has been my inspiration...thank you all!
    Then there are all of you that have daily schedules that knock my socks off Lisa, Allie, and so many more (I need to take notes to remember names) reading all your posts also inspires me to do just a little more...even Duolingo Italian!

We are all of us stars
    And we deserve to twinkle
    ~Marilyn Minroe

GLo tired but celebrating & hoping for rain tomorrow on the North Shore of Ma