WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    ljdw99 - contrats on loosing your 33 lbs!!! u go girl! all we do it try, just like you. keep it up and welcome!
  • jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Greetings. Just a quick note to say hi and thank you for all your encouraging posts. I read as I am able. Prayers to all who need them and high fives to those with successes!

Joyce in SD
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well hello again Joyce in SD!!!!! I don't want to be the only Joyce here. Glad you schedule allowed you to have a few minutes with us. Hope you are doing OK.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The lice that the kitten has are not contagious to humans. I asked. And I am using precautions to prevent them from spreading to my indoor cats who are not given flea treatments routinely. But if they were to get them, Frontline or Advantage does take care of them. This little guy is too tiny for even the smallest dose of Frontline. His dose of painkiller is 0.02mg per 12 hours. Just a drop. I had a hard time getting just a drop out of the syringe and may have given him too much tonight. He is awake, but his legs are just like jelly. I hope he makes it through the night. I have warned the girls that he may not make it. He is so tiny and so compromised with the broken leg and is just skin and bones. He is a sweetheart though. I will post a photo tomorrow.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of a Gilad step DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Power Yoga DVD

DJ - we've had very little rain. Probably because we're so far West.

Becca - Im so very relieved that it's just a stone.

June - welcome! That's a very good goal that you've set for yourse, not too much and not too litttle. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Check in here often for lots of support

Kim - I actually don't mind the heat. It's the humidity that gets to me. It's been over 100 here at times, and that never bothers me. But when we were in PA with the humidity, it could have been in the 80's and I would still be uncomfortable. My father never went to college and he was so proud when I graduated.

miriam - you are very helpful. Such great insight. I love reading your posts and many times learn something that I never knew

Alison - isn't a person who will eat fish called a pescatarian?

OK, this is a first -- pip shutting up!!!!! Will miracles never cease? lol

bonnie - welcome! I, too, have a problem at stopping when I've had enough. I always feel like I should clean my plate. I don't know of any way for the posts to be on top, this is just the way MFP has it set. However, when you go to you bookmarks, it will automatically jump to where you last were, even if it's page 43.

The snake was back. I was going to get the thing we used to clear brush to charge the battery, but there is no way I was going to go down there and go past that snake. We put out a questionnaire for Newcomers on getting rid of it. One gal said she'd take it Tuesday when she comes here for Mexican Train. I do hope she wasn't kidding. Another person said they had this kind of gun that you use to kill snakes. I never even knew there was such a thing. Another person said that if we caught it, he'd take it out in his airplane and deposit it (not that we're going to catch it!). Someone else said that a few years ago their neighbor had a snake removed, she gave us the phone number of the person, but we don't know if that number is still good. Yet another person said that we were crazy to get rid of it -- that they're good to have around. Bottom line is ---- I don't want it at all. If the one gal doesn't take it, I have no problem at all having that other person use the gun on it. None at all.

Decided to ice the train cake. A cake decorator I am not. I'm just going to have to apologize to everyone and tell them to disregard the crappy decorating job. I'll cut down the brush tomorrow so that's why I decorated the cake today. I thought the battery had to be charged. Now I'm making some more of the cauliflower calzones.

Used butter and shortening in the icing. It tasted better, but didn't have a consistency that 2 cups of shortening would have. Well...I don't plan to make this icing any more. I just don't like working with shortening. What I have left over, I'll donate to the soup kitchen. Had to have some of the icing, but even with that I still managed (just barely) to stay under calories. I figure I'll burn quite a few tomorrow in the sun. Glad I made those pops yesterday, they'll be nice and refreshing tomorrow.

Paula - welcome!

tshirtartist - welcome! To be honest, I really don't know if there is any difference at all between MFP and WW. Both really don't exclude any foods but emphasize portion control. The main difference is the MFP is free.

Becca - I'm sure your son appreciates how concerned you are about him, even if he doesn't say so. We have people around here who drive licker-sickels. It got it's name because people who have lost their license due to DUI's usually get them. The biggest problem I can see is that they can only go 35mph max and most roads are at least 45mph. Personally, they hold up traffic, I wouldn't mind if they were banned from roads that are above 35. When I'm taking a trip or going to the hosp for some reason to be with someone, many times I made a sandwich and then freeze it. By the time I have it, it's defrosted. Of course, I don't use any mayo or anything on it.

Hi there Bridget!

Marcelyn - yea for no rain!!!! We have 4 cats. Have fun on your dive!

audiogal - welcome! I'm not tech savvy, either. This site is pretty easy to use. You'll get lots of support here, that's for sure

Miriam - how wonderful of you to take such care of that cat! Last time Jess was down here, the vet's office had a kitten they were giving away for free. If they'd had two, she would have taken them -- especially at that price

ljdw - it's interesting, Vince was commenting how his chest hurt and he thought it was from pushing/pulling that mower deck. Now I was having to pick it up and my chest didn't hurt. I honestly think some of it has to do with the fact that I exercise regularly

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Pip and Becca – I’m a CA driver and can chill at 60 or rock it out at 90… depends

The wild turkey looks like the ones in my neighborhood. The toms with their feathers all in display are so fun.

Heather - I can’t imagine complaining about someone else’s food.

Miriam – Oh my, why is this baby not in nicICU? Ok read more posts and went back and realized this was not a BABY, but a baby animal, is it a puppy or a kitty? Later…. Awe a kitty

Nikion – that is how I do it, the only foods “off” are ones that I don’t like, and some of those are previous likes but my taste has changed… Although I do know some of the gals find that they can not regulate some foods, so they choose to not have them at all.

One good thing about all this heat, is I don’t eat very much… I hate to cook in this heat, and at some point am done in on salads… however tomorrow the plan was to go visit a friend (with Levi) and she has air conditioning, I was looking forward to it; BUT something is going on with her hubby and she asked if she could come here instead. So I made a quiche tonight, so it could just be reheated and I’ll roast some asparagus, for dinner, we’ll have salad for lunch. This gal is on hubby number 3 and he seems better than 1 and 2, 1 was a druggy (even when she married him), 2 a drunk, and 3 has bad depression – but he is nice, which 1 and 2 were not. She has admitted that she really thinks she will be able to convince them to change…I wish she could be more honest with herself… alas…. And depression is not something you just “fix” meds I know can help; but they are going all homeopathic – without a homeopathic dr. just a book… I will need to bite my tongue a bit tomorrow, it seems that some professional help would be a good call.

Worked on pictures for a few hours, I took so so so so many – I will try to post soon. I love that kid.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Slept pretty well,and am up..supposed to a day of rain today...going grocery shopping at 7 this morning and trying to figure things out for dinners, quiche is a good one and easy.. do might do that..
    when Tom and I were out yesterday afternoon. we are going to a concert next Saterday and he actually said he was looking forward to it... this man has not looked forward to anything in a long time....
    and guess what? the aleve really helped.. now long term do any of you know if he would take like one a day if there would be any damage?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ The bird cages over your plants is a great idea and look so cute as yard art!

Michelle ~ What kind of snake is it? I've never heard of a snake that just hung around.

Miriam ~ It would break my heart to look after a tiny creature like you are doing.

:'( I binged on my DH's cookies last night. They have been here for week and I never thought about opening them. But something took over my good sense last night. Today is a new day!

Carol
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Allie taking alive daily is dangerous to the liver. Check with doc but we have been advised against it and know of someone that did serious damage from overuse of aleve.
    I am not even at my one year anniversary of using MFP and posting on this forum but I can tell the newbies it has made all the difference to me. WW did not work for me personally but I learned things from it. For me, I pick up little bits of information from a lot of sources. This forum offers that and very unconditional support and accountability as long as you check in every now and then. Karen NY
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KLanders ~ I have learned that 4 of my prescription/otc meds can affect the liver. After recent blood work, I have cut out most of these plus cut out a lot of my beloved wine in the evening.

Raining here today! Unlike what the Texans are going through, we need it really bad so am grateful.

Carol
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone!!

Goals for June
    - 125 miles
    - 10 days over 10,000 steps
    - Log food !!

June will be an interesting month for me. I will be transitioning to retirement. I will be handing over to newbies the responsibilities I have a had for a long time. I really need to practise letting go and keep telling myself.... "the new people will do your job just fine!! "

AND.... grandbaby #4 will arrive !! Yeah!!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    w8i7fim2nxph.jpg Kind of blurry, but will give you an idea of the size of this little guy. A healthy newborn kitten weighs 3.5 pounds. He is a few weeks old, but weighs 1.8- half what a newborn should weigh. We were up a lot of the night. Just not comfy, crying a lot. Good appetitie, and pooping, so doing well that way. I am very tired.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: I'm glad your son is able to help. That is good news. I understand exactly how you feel about taking your lunch to the hospital. It is one more thing to worry about and get ready in advance and you don't need that right now. We're in the Providence system, and the cafeteria there is filled with goodies that are generally on the "no no" list. I learned that when DH had his stroke a few years ago and was reminded this winter when he had a cyst removed and I found myself gobbling up enormous peanutbutter cookies. I did log every bite and swallow. :embarassed:

Nikion991: I have a number of food sensitivities revolving around lactose intolerance and acid reflux. In my world EVERYTHING else is on the okay list. I simply measure the portions and count the calories. It works just fine for me. Portion control is the key to success in my opinion. Good luck on your journey. :smiley:

ljdw99: Congratulations on your great progress. WTG! :bigsmile:

Miriam: Good luck with the kitten. Your kitten is so cute. He looks like a survivor to me. I hope that I'm right about that. If he does survive it will be because of all of your help and his own inner will to live. You're teaching your daughters such a valuable lesson. :heart:

Michele: I am not a fan of snakes either. Do you know what kind it is and whether it is venomous? I shudder just to think about it. The neighbor who used to put snakes in my lawn for the fun of it has moved away, thank goodness. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! WTG!!! :bigsmile:

We're looking at a high of 97 today. I'm so grateful for air conditioning! We also have a nice breeze most of the time & living next to the river keeps it more pleasant here than other parts of town. Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladiies. Gorgeous sunny day and even lower humidity than we have been having, it will be around 86.

Today is my one year anniversary on MFP. Love and thanks to you my friends for your support.

Janetr okc
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Ignore my comments about what a healthy newborn kitten should weigh. I am not making much sense due to fatigue.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi, DH is seasick. Poor love! :'( He's sitting outside all muffled up and has taken a pill. There is a swell, but nothing too awful.
    I have been doing better on calories today and took part in the "Walk a Mile" group, walking round the sundeck. Fun. I also swam for 20 minutes in the TINY pool, round and round. Masses of steps everywhere, so that's good. Then I was starving so we had tea and scones delivered to the room. I had just one, no cream etc. o:) There is dancing tonight, so might get a bit more burned. They have professional dancers to dance with you. :D I can dance adequately if someone is steering me!
    We also went to a whale and dolphin lecture. :D
    It's the Captain's Cocktail Party this evening plus dinner in full formal gear. Might wear my yoga teacher's dress.
    Oh, the swell is getting up now! I'll take my pills. Better safe than sorry.

Tomorrow we are off on a long trip to a waterfall. Full day out with lunch.

Penny - Well done on the half marathon! Brilliant! Our ship is definitely docking at 11 on Friday and the hike is in the afternoon. They've changed it. I guess we'll be off the ship by 11.15 - 30.

Love to all. Heather UK