WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday!
    Miriam- I admire your heart and your ability to care for this little guy! They really tug at your heartstrings! We had a lawn mower incident a couple of years ago and mowed over a nest of baby bunnies. They were all okay (not even touched by the blades) but mama never came back. My son and I waited and watched for two days. Babies were alive but crying and cold when we brought them in the house. They were SO tiny, I thought they were mice when I first saw them. We kept them for about four days, feeding them every two hours, washing and trying to get them to poo...I then took them to a rescue center because I knew I would have a really hard time if one of them died. :'(
    Margaret- I love the birdcages! They look so nice! And the bonus that you got them at Goodwill for $5!!!Awesome.
    Carol-We are getting rain this weekend also. We needed it. It has been warm (upper 80's) but with the rain not falling the humidity has been UNBEARABLE! Finally rained yesterday (while I was out on my bike :/ ) and continued through the night and this morning. Now the temps have dropped (thank God) and so has the humidity.
    Allie- Yea! Tom is looking forward to something! Those are the moments to treasure! I know how a good pain reliever can make or break their moods. Tim also loves Aleve, but doesn't take it much due to the potential damage it could cause. He is on a steroid and also Methotrexate for his RA. The docs are weening him off the steroid and then going to change him over to one of the NSAID's to manage his RA. Tim is really afraid to go off the steroid. For the first time in years he is relatively pain free. Hard to give up something that is working, even when you know the damage it could do in the long term. But really, I am very happy that he is having something to look forward to and bring him some joy. Our men need more joy and I know I live for those moments with mine! P.S. Your comment earlier about maybe the grumpiness happens to men whose names start with T; my husband is a twin, his twin's name is Todd, and he is another grumpyguy. When Todd went through his divorce a few years back, he asked if he could stay with us for a while (we weren't his only option); I told my husband "No freaking way!" I think I would have committed hari-kari if I had had two of them to contend with!
    Heather - So nice that you are able to stay connected while you are cruising! LOL! Got a giggle over the row over the creme brulee (was it a creme brulee?) I get like that over food. I don't MEAN to criticize or complain; I feel I am just stating a fact. Perhaps in my mind, I am rationalizing, if I am paying for this food, it had better taste better than what I make at home! Then sometimes I am disappointed when it doesn't.
    Penny- Whoot! Great job for you and your daughter!
    Love and hugs to all! The rain has let up, I will see if I can get in some bike/walk time. More rain on the radar for today.
    Traci- Hope you have made it into town safely! I hope you enjoy your time here. Forecast says sunny through Thursday night! Message me if you have time, and want to get together!
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    As the nation mourns Mohammed Ali's death I was reminded of a quote of his I've always found inspiring

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

Janetr congrats on your anniversary

Miriam hope the little guy makes it if he doesn't it won't be from your lack of tlc

Lillian I can relate I didn't go back to "my" office for over 6 months...that didn't keep "my" agents from calling me w/issues they had because they did. I didn't want to undermine the new manager but it took awhile.

Carol/EtAl I've taken Aleve every day for months because of severe arthritis in my toe joints w/no problem but you do need to be monitored. I gave up all alcohol in January not because of blood work results but because of calories and sure miss my wine too...maybe when I get to maintenance
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Miriam - This little guy just tugs at my heart. So very young and so very small. I sure hope he pulls through. You are a saint to take him in and nurse him so. Whether he pulls through or not, at least he knew love because of you. <3<3

Charleen in Colorado (Sunny and Dry)
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning to everyone! Thanks you all for keeping my accountable yesterday without even knowing it. Decided not to overeat because I joined this group, made some friends on here and made my food diary viewable. Accountability!!!!
    MIRIAM....what an adorable little kitten! I hope he pulls through!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    GLo, thank you. Love the quote from Ali, going to print it out.

QuietBloom welcome.

Janetr okc
  • bonnieellen27
    bonnieellen27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and just found out my cholesterol is 277. I found this site from an article in Women's World and I just joined today. I've been sedentary due to heel spur/plantar fasciitis/other feet and ankle pains! But today I'm motivated to get healthy! I so far did 3 ten-minute sessions on my elliptical machine, a good start. I believe I have a sort of food addiction so logging what I eat will hopefully rein that in! I hope by being accountable on line to others as well as seeing a supportive community will keep to my goals and help others too?!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and new peeps -

was way overdue to get my nails done so they got did yesterday! neon orange to match my bike! today it's supposed to be 93! YEAYYYYY FOR ME but boo for the peeps who don't like the heat. kirby put the a/c upstairs in the bedroom for the kids, i'm okay w/o but we do it for them. aren't i a good mom?

bullwinkle turned 11 on the 4th. she has passed rocky and has made it to this age. hope to have her for a few more. what am i gonna do at the gym today? u got it. miles, gotta bike more miles so i can get to that 400!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    I am also going to print out that Ali quote. Thanks for posting it! Karen from NY
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Miriam – you need to grab some “cat naps” LOL - ok ok that is pre-coffee humor. He is cute and eating and pooping is a very good thing.

Heather – the sea sickness pill brought back memories, so I love the ocean, swimming in it, playing in it, boating on it, Never a problem - but I put together a whale watching outing years ago for a work group (in the 1990s) and talked up bringing water, wearing layers and if you needed it taking a sea sickness pill the common brand here is Dramamine - Well I did not take any as I don’t need it – so the gang going “ganged” up on me – you aren’t taking it ??? you are telling us to and you aren’t? Yada Yada Yada – so I humored them and took one… Who was sea sick ? ME!!!! Well a few days later I was telling my mom about it and she said why did you do that you are allergic to Dramamine…. WHAT!? Found out that they had given it to me for car sickness and I would still get sick, (which I do remember) but they ran out right before a trip so I did not get any and did not get sick…. I was never tested by the dr. but they gave me some with no trip – sick, no Dramamine- and no sick.

Great Ali quote.

Well, had breakfast, a 3 mile walk, a shower and figured out the ballot - and it is just 9am… so now off to sew for an hour or so before my friend arrives for the day.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    :| I spent 5 hours cleaning out our 4-drawer filing cabinet and throwing out old 'stuff'. I think I threw out enough 'stuff' to fill up 3 of them; today I am going to tackle my 2-draw cabinet in my office. Not much coming out of it; but, I will save all my pages of 'tracking' that I have taken with me to my weigh-ins. ;)

Got to try to order some more inks for my printer and have only 1 more bill to pay and get into the mail. :#

Cracker is still favoring her left leg; this is the leg that she hurt when she ran into the tire of my DYS's truck. He thought he had run over her; but, she would not have survived it, if he had. Then had to take her back because she had a 'stubbed pad'; they cut off the flapping skin, and back to favoring it again; then she split one of her 'middle' toenails and they had to remove it; again by to favoring that foot. She still can 'run as fast as the wind' even with it injured'. Vet said it was the 2 middle toes they put their weight on; and, she'd limp for some time. :( At first we thought she was just 'playing us'; but, I took her to the vet and found out I was wrong. PetSmart said to give it another week before washing her and getting her 'broken coat' taken back to the soft inner coat like we did last time. And washing her in some soap that made her fresh-smelling clean. We've only washed her one since they did so ... still fresh-smelling. She has my DH wrapped around her legs so much it is so funny. ;)<3B) He did not want an 'inside' dog; but, she keeps me company ... especially now that I am on a 'driving restriction'. :'(>:):#<3o:)

We rented a car after my accident because they said they would have my car for a month, easy. Hopefully DH and DOS can pick it up Monday and take that 'stupid' VW Jetta back to the 'rental' place. Not, nearly as nice as my Honda; because just about everything was 'manual'; but, DH said it was probably safer than any of the other cars they were renting out. It's been 'sitting' under the carport and only driven once (by DH) when we went out on a 'date' night. Back to depending on others to cart me around. :'( Need to get the C-pap machine's chip read ... I thought I did it 3 months ago. I guess with The Affordable Care Act; they want to make sure I am using it 5 hours or more a day. I sleep with it and also take my naps with it on. It's quieter than my last one; so quiet it is difficult to tell that it is 'on'. >:)

Talked to my DYS yesterday; said they were going to go through the IVF route; they had just been talking how many times they will try before accepting the fact that DDnL#2's tubes are blocked and if it does not work. :( MD told them to 'try' it and recommended that, if it did not work the first time, to do it a 2nd; he thinks that, at least, the tubes need to come out pretty soon. No rush. They've put looking for a house on the lake or enough acreage to build a house on where they'll be 1/2-way between each of their places or employment. :) She said, with her luck; if she did not remove them; she'd come up pregnant at the age of 48. Both are very disappointed. I think DYS called to get some encouragement and just to talk it out. He had left DDnL#2 at home resting, as she had an appointment to do someone's hair for a party. He wants her to ask one of the other ladies in the shop to do it; but, she wants the $$$ she'd make for coming in on a weekend.

Lenora
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, Ladies! I'm trying to keep up. :smile:
    Prepping for job interviews, doing my existing work, keeping my garden watered while we have August heat in June, swimming, lifting, and walking, are about all I can handle right now...but I'm skimming through your posts each day, glad to have you in my world, however little.
    Have a great day!
    Larisa in Seattle
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Miriam that kitten is so tiny and precious looking. She is depending on you and your girls and I know you can do it. the rescue called YOU and they also knew you were up for the task.

Heather, to bad your DH is having some trouble with sea sickness. The one cruise we took, we were fine but the people in room opposite was terribly sea sick and we heard it all. Love your amenities in your suite though. We had an inside room, all we could afford.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Poor DH! I am sympathetic. Ocean swells get me every time. Drinking lots of water may help. :flowerforyou: I use a scopolomine patch for ocean voyages. I don't feel great, but I am functional. See if you can get one after you dock for the first time. I'm not sure that It would work if he's already seasick. The ship's doctor would know, and would be a likely place to find one.

We have another very warm day and plan to enjoy the view in air-conditioned splendor as the day heats up. Right now it is a glorious 80F, and I'm loving it. I plan to sit outside on the deck with DH and take life easy. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.Had a nice day yesterday.Was good to get out.Met the mom`s for breakfast and then went to my son`s.Watched my granddaughters play and just enjoyed grandma day.Best part of the day was finding out Im gonna be a grandma again in Dec.(my dil had had a miscarrige the beginning of the year)
    count down for surgery.2 weeks tomorrow.
    hugs jane from IL
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stat for the day:
    spin- 56min, 100ar, 70aw, 8-10g, 130ahr, 154mhr, 13.1mi = 503 cal total

been playing outside with the kids, filling up the kiddie pool for them to cool off
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Great Cycle Challenge USA (raising $ for kids w/cancer)
    as far as $$ raised, (i'm not trying to raise money tho) i am 6165th place, in the State of WA i'm 125th place.
    as far as miles ridden (the one i'm going for) i am 20th overall in the State. i'm in 3rd place as far as females and they are only 1mi more than me. so far i've ridden 87.5mi, 312.5 to go
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Glo, congrats on your 120 days, the 33 # loss and all the accomplishments. Now you are the inspiration to many of us. Way to go.congrats-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

MicheleNC, you said, “Vince was commenting how his chest hurt and he thought it was from pushing/pulling that mower deck. Now I was having to pick it up and my chest didn't hurt. I honestly think some of it has to do with the fact that I exercise regularly” I have to agree with you. All that exercise has to pay off.stretching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kim, you gave me a giggle when I read about your concern for the baby. The funny thing is, when I read Miriam’s post it occurred to me that someone could think it was a human baby. (later) Loved your “cat nap” joke.

Miriam, I know the shelter is happy to have you and all the help you give. Do you know how many cats/kittens you have fostered?

Lillian, congrats on retiring. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Bonnie and Quiet Bloom, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Feel free to tell us a little more about yourselves to help us get to know you. Also, please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Trish, good for you. This group of ladies has helped many of us at different times.

Heather, so sorry your DH is sea sick. I sure hope it passes quickly or he’ll wish you had gone alone. sad-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Katla, I’m surprised to hear that you get sea sick? With you being a boater I figured it didn’t bother you. I always use a patch at the beginning of a cruise.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I worked on sorting and packing up the rest of the garage sale items this morning and gosh was it hot. At least it’s all done now. It just started raining and they are predicting some pretty severe weather for the next few hours. I saw this on FB today and thought I’d share with you.
    Six Ethics of Life
    Before you Pray-Believe
    Before you Speak-Listen
    Before you Spend-Earn
    Before you Write-Think
    Before you Quit-Try
    Before you Die-Live

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy Day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC