Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    17,000 steps
    174 minutes of dog walking
    66 minutes riding the exercise bike

t110001.gif It has been windy here and not at all like summer should be..the dogs don't mind the wind, but I skipped working in the yard in favor of indoor tasks.

:) Jake had his appointment with his primary care doctor to get her OK for his spine surgery...he some blood drawn for some tests and if they turn out OK, he'll be set for his surgery on June 29. He is very uncomfortable and spends a lot of time in the recliner so I've done almost all of the dog walking.

:)Joyce, how great that you and Charlie got to go out to Cracker Barrel for dinner

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »

Photo of my son and his prom date. I do not like his beard ... And complained nonstop about it ... He shaved it off AFTER the prom ... Smh.

Beth near Buffalo

So nice when the kids get all gussied up. They look soooo sophisticated. It was a shame that the drama ruined it for him.
    CJ
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your kind words. I am so concerned as to the type of legacy we are leaving our children and grandchildren. At times like this, it is good to part of such a caring community.
    I was not sore at all after the bike ride this morning. I picked up and swept all the branches and leaves that had come down onto my nice new patio (is this bragging) during the last week of rain and wind storms then picked up branches and twigs from the yard. After mowing about a quarter of the back lawn, I turned the mower over and cleaned out the deck and blade, let it cool, and then restarted it. My grass had grown quite high in the rain followed by two hot, sunny days. When I mowed this time, the mower began to leave gouges in the yard and was hard to push. I checked the wheels and all were tightly attached and clear of grass and thin branches or vines. I think that the blade has gotten out of alignment from hitting a rock that I was not aware of. I will have to take it into service tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have a geometric pop art lawn. Then it was on to PT for 2 hours for elbow, arm, knee and thigh work. OUCH. Now I am so tired and sore. The youngsters who run the place (hard to believe that they have doctorates in physical therapy, they look like teenagers to me) are sadists in disguise. >:)
    CJ
  • kat02092015
    kat02092015 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Stupid NBA games. The Bachelorette wasn't on tonight. Yes, I'm a Bachelorette and Bachelor fan (don't judge me
  • kat02092015
    kat02092015 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why does my post keep getting chopped off? What am I doing wrong?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did 1 segment (about 10 min) of a Butt Lift DVD, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec, then about 50 min of the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jeanette Jenkins Cardio Sculpt DVD

Dawn - one other thing I found, after I had been measuring my food, I was sort-of able to eyeball it. But I didn't constantly depend on eyeballing it, when I'd come home I go right back to measuring. It's just so easy (this is human nature) to continue to "enlarge" the portions

DrKatie - is your paper delivered in the early morning (when it's dark out)? Ours is, and I'm sure the reason the paperdelivery person put them on our mailbox is so that he/she can tell where the mailbox is in the dark/fog. Let me know what the people who have theirs in a brick column do.

Becca - don't worry one bit about commenting to each of us...we totally understand that it isn't easy at all. We love hearing your updates and am keeping praying

Lisa - I usually check in here a few times during the day and just keep an ongoing post. When I don't, I usually feel somewhat overwhelmed. But then again, there are times when I can't check in for a week or even a couple of days. That's when I usually skim and maybe make short comments to people

katla - good luck to you with the vinegar. Sure hope it works

tamyena - welcome to a great supportive group. I also love working out in the water. I just don't think I could do it more than once/week, I just get too bored too easily....lol

Lisa - that mirror is really lovely. You have such good taste

katla - I am not good at deciding what colors to paint the ceramic pieces. The idea for the colors for the worm came from someone else. She had made it those colors and I copied it. I usually find that I need to work from a picture, I'm just not good at picking out the colors. I did that once and to this day I'm disappointed in the outcome. Actually, Joyce gave me the idea of the red finernails on the turtles!

Exercised, then went to the Salvation Army. They had this lightweight (sometimes you need lightweight down here) 3-piece suit, (pants, jacket, and a skirt <which I'll probably never wear>). It was a petite size -- you don't find them very often. It must have been worn only once or twice. It does have the shoulder pads in it, but I know that I can cut them out. It was marked $7.49. I got it for...get this....99cents. Yes, you read right. Came home, got dinner ready, then went to senior bowling. Lousey day. came home, had dinner, then ceramics. Took my seaturtle to glaze the inside and put my name on it. Then worked some more on the wolf for Jess.

There was a lady who came to ceramics that had a kitten and was giving the rest away. Vince knew (I was at mahjongg by this time) so he called Jess. She really wants two of the kittens but her bf said "no". She was so upset, she said "oh, this isn't over"

Took some of the brookies to mahjongg. Even Vince said that the brownie part is more cakey than brownie-like. I looked at the recipe and it calls for 2 eggs, next time I think I'll make it with only 1 egg and see how that turns out.

Jess has a dentist appt tomorrow. We're trying to convince her to either switch to my dentist who has office hrs on some Fridays or else to continue with the dentist she has (the one Vince goes to) but to make the appt on a Monday so she can have a 3 day weekend.

Miriam - passing you a tissue

Beth - good looking son

stumplovingly and Linda - happy birthday!

Anne - I have some friends who are trans. To me, they are the most wonderful people I know. I would much rather have a couple who truly loves each other and stays together thru thick and think who are trans than a straight couple who get divorced at the first little disagreement. When I asked Vince if he wanted to come with me when I went to see them, he said "no, that just isn't normal". I'm the Catholic and it doesn't bother me.

barbie - prayers for Jake

I picked up my mermaid tonight. I'm posting a pic of it.

Michele in NC

dcbtflc22ooa.jpg

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....

Been way to busy to even try keep up here!! I hope all is well with everyone.

I have been reading up on thyroid issues. My Natropath says I am leaning towards hypothyroid. So prescribed kelp.

Anyone else?

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Linda- Happy Birthday! I hope you have fun celebrating!

Stumplovely - Happy Birthday! I would also suggest adding weight training. I do Stronglifts. I also recommend the Kettlebell because it can be done at home and burns 20 calories a minute compared to most aerobic exercises burning 8 calories per minute. Weight lifting specifically heavy ( what is heavy for you) also burns between 15-20 calories and there is the added benefit of the muscles doing what is called an after burn. They continue to burn calories hours after the workout is done.

Michele - the mermaid is gorgeous! How big is it?

Have a great night everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Kindle just too slow tonight - :'(
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, I am looking at that mermaids hands and in awe of how well you did her fingers! I was going to comment on your others. I really liked the belly of your little turtle. Looks like you could rub it and he would just curl up in your lap like a cat. HMMM, I have no idea why I said that.

Meg, so glad to see you again.

Well I think Charlie is back to his normal self. He can use the 'parachute pull' on the recliner in his man cave so maybe I won't have to watch Fox news all the time. Also he has found his cussing voice back. As a passenger driver I just have to tell him to zip it. I am driving and if I don't pull into a parking spot just the right way and have to back out and redo it, then it's my parking and not his. I drive my speed, I pull out into traffic my way....cautious. Just zip it Charlie! If he isn't careful I'll slip some of his Lortab into his food.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Joyce - (((Hugs))) I think you are right he seems to be getting back to normal!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Joyce …lol - just zip it Charlie!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Penny - love the pictures. I sometimes wonder. Do you ever grow used to waking up and seeing such beauty just outside your windows?
    Linda/IA
    Linda - No, never! Sure, I now expect to see beauty when I look out my window or step out my door, but even after all these years the actual experience frequently hits me right in the solar plexus and I have to stop and take a few deep breaths. Just this morning, after I waved my husband off to work, I stood on the outdoor landing in the cold in my stocking feet, feeling the air and reveling in how clear it was.

Marcelyn - Sorry about your sister's parasite infection. When we were little, traveling around in East Africa with my parents, my sisters and I were often disappointed at not being allowed to swim or even wade in the lakes and rivers because of bilharzia. But my father knew people who'd contracted bilharzia and he wasn't letting us take any chances.

Michele - About a year ago you posted a picture of your pool, but it was unadorned at the time. When you've set out your ceramics, I hope you will post more pictures that show how your pool looks in the summer.

A couple days ago, Heather said she'd had a little tiff with her DH about this thread. That got me thinking. Lying awake around 2 am I had some very deep and profound thoughts about reality and virtual reality. Unfortunately, those insights lost some of their shine when my brain was fully awake. Still, here's what I came up with.

My own husband was essentially unaware of the thread until Heather was about to show up and I had to explain why I was so well acquainted with someone I'd never met. I haven't talked about participating in an online forum, mainly because my darling husband tends to say the wrong things - quite inadvertently. Once we had his brother over for dinner, and the brother brought along a big marzipan-covered cake with whipped cream and raspberry jam in it. When I only accepted a small piece, my husband explained to his brother that I was currently going through "the female condition of dieting". That was over 20 years ago and I still remember it. When I started weighing my food, he cautioned me about the dangers of becoming obsessive. If I gain weight and say I'm dissatisfied, he'll say I look fine. If tell him I've managed to get rid of a few kilos he'll tell me to be careful, not to overdo it. He means well, but it just isn't the kind of support I need.

That's where this thread comes in. You all understand the struggles, the ups and downs. You share your successes and failures, your strategies, your everyday lives. Not everything works for everyone, but I often get new impulses, and I never feel that anyone disapproves of my choices.

No, I've never met you (except now Heather) but you are real to me. You inspire me. You build me up, rather than reining me in. Maybe my husband is too close to me (both emotionally and physically) to play that role. Maybe the distance between us in this thread serves as a useful buffer.

Another advantage is the constant dialogue. I can go in any time of day and usually find a few new posts. That's really helpful for me. I'm not a fast thinker. Having you all at my fingertips 24/7 gives me time to ponder, and sharing your experience makes me wiser than I am. :heart: I'll finish with a quote freely translated from Pablo Neruda

You have made me indestructible, because with you, I am not limited by my own self.

/Penny, soon leaving the North Pole, but fortunately only temporarily
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I have met Rita, but I still consider each and everyone of you dear dear friends..I hope someday to meet some of you..and I don't care what Tom or anyone else thinks.
    CJ~ he actually did clean it, but he was banging and crashing it around to make sure I woke up..
    working 9-6 today and it will be long and tiring,,, tomorrow not until 1 pm, so can make phone calls for appts tomorrow
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Penny... I've been thinking a lot on the nature of "reality" vs. "perception" a lot lately myself. I've always been a proponent of the "perception is reality" school of thought. What we think is real is real to us, and in many ways, at least until the outside world so rudely interrupts us, it is. I won't go too far down that road, because it makes a lot of people pretty upset. I'm not saying ANYone's truth is not real to them. But, because there are flawed and evil conceptual constructs, we end up with the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, with more than 50 people dead and more than 50 wounded in Orlando. That shooter took the concept to a horrible conclusion.

I also think that very large cities create an atmosphere where people aren't real to each other anymore. The observer can take all these others and make them no longer people in their perception by categorizing them as objects, ideologies, obstacles to dodge in traffic jams, crowded buildings, lines at restaurants--simply something else to get around or get through. Unfortunately, they can also make them objects of hatred, like the shooter did.

In small towns, we're more real to each other. We impinge on each other's reality in extremely different ways. Living in a small town makes everything personal. For instance it's like those who have a gay daughter, or uncle, or brother, or are gay themselves, who this shooting hits right in the gut. But those who believe (probably wrongly) that no one they have ever loved is gay can cling to their perception that being gay is wrong and evil because they've taken them out of their perception of being people.

Oh, and the corollary for us is, of course, if you think you're old, you are. If you think you're too big for yoga (sorry to point at anyone) you won't do yoga. If you think you can't move because you hurt, you won't move. But if you think you can move anyway and deal with the pain for that one minute, you will. If you realize that you only have to move for one minute to do better than yesterday, you will... and two minutes the day after, and three minutes the day after that. Because tomorrow will come. When it gets here, would you prefer to think, "I made good choices yesterday!" Or do you want to keep beating yourself up? Your reality, your choice.

Hope I haven't upset anyone - certainly don't mean to. I'm taking my thinking cap off now--but it gives me an idea for my next article.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Lisa~hence the writer in you... I agree with you..I have grown up in a small town as have my kids.. and wouldnt have it any other way.. it isn't for everyone.. but I just love it..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good Morning, Am-A-Zons!

(That’s a silly word play on the Robin Williams movie Good Morning, Vietnam!- ok you can groan, now, I know I have a weird sense of humor.)

Happy Birthday Stumplovingly and Linda IA!

Hi Angie, Marcie, Paula, Casey, Zipp, Tamyena, Lisa, Re, Lillian...

Barbie - Today I am going to start writing a gratitude list each day. Thank you for reminding me of this…I shall watermark the first day by putting my list at the end of this post. <3 Thinking of you & Jake as you deal with his back issues.

Joyce in SD - Nice profile pic!

Casey & Mary - I am interested in the fasting plans, I was thinking of doing 16/8 to start with since it’s easiest, but in the past when I have inadvertently done 5/2 I had good weight loss & tolerated it quite well. I don’t know about the one Mary mentioned.

I am going to look at Stronglifts today and familiarize myself. Also asking at Jazzercise for recommendations on a personal trainer to get me started on heavy lifting.

DrKatie - nice job on that mailbox. Looks great!

Linda IA - I woke up thinking about those adorable kittens. I was the kid who put food out for all the alley cats in the neighborhood, and every night “Here, kittykittykitty, here kittykittykitty!” and boy did they come running!. Now my granddaughter has adopted an outdoor stray with grey fur like velvet named Andy. More recently, I had 4 kitties that lived 17-21 years, but now I have 4 little yappers, 3 Yorkies & a Coton. Took the 2 sister Yorkies Mabel & Molly for a walk yesterday on a dual leash so darn cute, like a miniature team of horses.

Hope your butt bones feel better by today.

Joyce Indiana - A colleague who had colon cancer had an ostomy and occasionally had a leak and had to go home to take care of it. It was a rare occurrence once he found the right product & got the hang of it. With ostomy bags it’s a steep learning curve which one is highly motivated to master, as you well know. Glad Charlie is getting back to being a bit irascible. Noisy restaurants - great idea LOL!

And forget trying to remember all our names. You & Becca have enough to remember as it is.

Becca - Your sons sound like very nice young men…you know we are all thinking of you as you and your husband go forward with the next step. Won’t it be great to see your hubby a normal color again? We are rooting for the 2 of you.

LisaB - Lots of people with round bodies do yoga. Buddha...

Rosie - I agree with everyone else. Lovely, poised daughter. Looks so happy!

HeatherUK in the ocean - looking forward to the glam photos, wonder if one of the crew would take some of you and your husband cutting a rug. Hope you are over your funk or cold or whatever is going on.

Miriam - Hope you are feeling better, too! Summer colds are miserable. Lotion tissue for you.

Alison - Yeah, I used to have a husband who was passive aggressive, too. Not nice. (((hug)))

Michele NC - Lovely ceramics, you have a talent for it! My mom loved turtles, so I sighed a little when I saw the colorful turtles. The inchworm & mermaid are equally cute. And I love Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. such bargains, designer clothes with labels still on sometimes. 99cent suit indeed! Ummmm, at the risk of upsetting everyone trying to avoid chocolate, I will pass on this “chocolate cake” (NOT) recipe: Chocolate cake mix of your choice. Regular sized box of cook-type chocolate or fudge pudding, cooked with whole milk. 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips, divided. Mix the cooled pudding into the cake mix with half the chocolate chips. Put in 9x12 greased & floured cake pan & sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips. Bake one hour at 350. Decadent. and not cake. gooey brownie thing.

Kim NC - Awfully sweet of you to offer to help home school Griffin. If we end up doing that perhaps we will plan an educational field trip to NC and he can learn about hospitality :D

Casey Alberta - My La-z-boys were worth 10 times what we paid for them. I am happily semi-reclining in mine right now. Very comfy.

Lenora - dysgraphism very frustrating for your nephew I am sure

Lisa - what a great mirror! very cool…

Meg - I grew up in southwest Nebraska! The Plains are in my soul. My granddaughter was looking and listening to a book of birds we have and played one that just filled me with emotion. Curious, I asked her to read what the name of the bird was that she was listening to: “Sandhill Cranes” :)

Beth near Buffalo - your son is charming and handsome, great photo!

Dawn in Maryland - sounds like an important and poignant family get together coming up. Savor every moment! My parents and one sister are gone. My two brothers have health problems that make getting together impossible. I miss my family, especially my mom.

Penny at the North Pole - OMG I am in awe over the blue whales you spotted. Amazing creatures, love the pics.

"I'll finish with a quote freely translated from Pablo Neruda: You have made me indestructible, because with you, I am not limited by my own self.”

I love this quote and your thoughtful post about virtual friends. To me it’s just a modern version of pen pals. Remember Julie & Julia?

DJ Myrtle Beach - wow painting this time of year…I gotta hand it to you, I would be sweating buckets and probably hire somebody to finish. You go, girl!

Marcelyn Honduras - diving in Honduras how cool is that?

Pip & Janetr - giggling at your exchange

Cheri in Ohio - glad you made it home safe & sound. Mission accomplished! Ros is lovely, looked a little bit deer in the headlights, but she knows she has her cousins and me to rely on. I have her address, but not phone number. She can call me anytime.

Grandson Griffin’s baseball season is over. The underdog Royals finished second in the playoffs, losing by only one point to the Nationals, a team made up of older, stronger boys. Our little guys played their hearts out, and we are so proud of them! Last night’s game was heartbreaking for the boys, as they had a significant lead until the end when they just tuckered out and were beaten by a team with more stamina. They were such good sports, made us proud.

Today I am grateful for having had a wild wacky wonderful mother, for my delicious grandchildren who enrich my life beyond measure, for my wonderful partner, for my funny little dogs, for my good job at which I earn enough money, for my high school buddies who are still my best friends 45 years later, for a gorgeous daybreak, for my health, and for my new "pen pals" on this forum.

Anne from Wisconsin: We love who we love. (((hugs))) to you and your daughter.

Heart hurting for Orlando.

Karen in Virginia

p.s. to whoever was losing part of their posts that happens to me when I add an emoticon from my Edit feature, but not if I use their emoticons. I don't get it...
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Am-A-Zons!
    Cheri in Ohio - glad you made it home safe & sound. Mission accomplished! Ros is lovely, looked a little bit deer in the headlights, but she knows she has her cousins and me to rely on. I have her address, but not phone number. She can call me anytime.

Today I am grateful for having had a loving mother, for my wonderful grandchildren who enrich my life beyond measure, for my wonderful partner, for my funny little dogs, for my good job at which I earn enough money, for my high school buddies who are still my best friends 45 years later, for a gorgeous daybreak, for my health, and for my new "pen pals" on this forum.

Karen in Virginia

Good Morning everyone!

Karen I believe the "deer in the headlights" look was brought on by sensory overload. She has Sensory Integration Dysfunction (among other things) and with so many people in her apt for the first time it was a tad bit overwhelming. Plus she was holding a baby-very foreign to her! She so enjoyed everyone being there for her! Love your gratitude statement for today. Ros and I text a gratitude to each other every evening. I then copy them into a journal for us to look back and reflect upon.

On the topic of "virtual friends". For so many years my kids have spoken of their virtual friends on-line. I always reminded them these were not "real" friends. How could they be as you have never met them in real life. Well I had to come clean with them recently when I admitted that I may have been/was wrong in making that statement so many times. It's true you can make friends on-line in a very supportive manner regardless if you haven't met in real life. I've always talked openly about you gals being in my life with my hubs. And he frequently will ask about what's going on. We are blessed to have each other in our lives to support us through this journey of health, weight loss and this thing called life!

Have a good one!

Cheri
    in dreary NE oHIo

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Cheri <3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Spot on about everything being real and personal in a small town! Sometimes people associate small towns with constantly being monitored, but I think it goes deeper than that, and in a positive way. Here in this 2000-person town we have very little stealing and vandalism, because whoever you target - even if you don't know them personally - they're likely to be the father or niece or best friend of somebody you know and like.

Must run. Husband coming to take us to the airport. (Where we will park the car and leave it unlocked with the keys in it.)

/Penny, leaving the North Pole now