WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

it's rainy right now and 49 degrees and after i work out, i think i still might ride to work to get more miles in. i think i've gone bonkers
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps -

it's rainy right now and 49 degrees and after i work out, i think i still might ride to work to get more miles in. i think i've gone bonkers

You THINK?
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    happy birthday to the twins. you are forever entwined, real or not.

Lisa you will have a brilliant column with much for your readers to contemplate. They will be lucky readers.

Penny safe travels. You have had such an interesting life. Have your written an autobiography? Safe travels.

For people traveling to DC or Mid-Atlantic area, send me a note and perhaps we can meet. Always the best place to introduce our families to the meaning of American government, democracy and freedom. And most of the sights and museums are free.

Off to NGO training all day. Will have to wear winter clothes. The venue is always over - conditioned and freezing. And people wonder why we have global warming...

CJ
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • csmissy
    csmissy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. What a wonderful group of women you are. Just what I am looking for. My son and his girlfriend gave me a Fitbit for Christmas and I finally opened the box. It connected to MFP which I already had but hadn't used in ages. Having done WW many years ago with good results I figured this was the "new" progressive version. I love the idea of combining it with supportive likeminded people.

Goals for the remainder of the month:

Honesty log food daily to get current benchmark.

Walk w/DH at least 5 mornings a week (we walk at 5am due to his work schedule and I am not a morning person)

Start meditating and home yoga practice.

Cheryl from north of Boston
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning, friends.

Lisa, very philosophical post and spot on.

Allison, speaking of Rita, where has she been lately? Are you still in touch with her.

Michelle, I'm sure you are right about the reflectors helping the delivery person see the paper box, but I think the number of them means something, too. We get a paper every day, but some people only get it on the weekends, and others just on Sunday. I, like you, am interested to see what those with brick mailbox columns will do. We also have one neighbor who has a very nice ornate black mailbox with the house number built into the side some way. They paid a pretty penny for that thing, but it is the same height as ours was (I'm sure compliant at the time of purchase). Well, it gives me and DH something to look for every day when we walk our circle. What have the neighbor's done to their mailboxes today?

Thanks to all who have complimented our mailbox. When we first moved here, we had a standard mailbox post, but it was on the right hand side of the driveway. People kept backing into it and ruining it. We went through about four different ones until we got the bright idea to move it to the left side of the driveway. I ordered it online and painted it to match the house. The pale yellow color is from Ace Hardware and is called snicker doodle. My sister teases me about my snicker doodle mailbox. Since she is one of the ones who hit my old one, I just ignore her.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Still feeling awful but wanted to respond to Lisa's post. It has been proven that our perceptions are totally influenced by our expectations and our focus. People remember things that reinforce their beliefs, but don't remember things that challenge their beliefs. (This is why stigma against others continues.) People also can miss some really important information when they are focusing on something else. They did a study telling people to count the number of times something happened, and almost all of them missed the man in the gorilla suit strolling through the video! So one person's perception of an event will never match up to another's. But to each their reality is true to them. It can get really funny to see how our minds bend history, even our own.

An example. One of my sisters was diagnosed with the family bipolar disorder and started on lithium. I have a letter from her telling me this. But it did not fit with her perception that it wasn't genetics, but a flawed personality that was causing my mother's problems, or my own. So to this day, she denies she was EVER diagnosed or treated with medication! The only reason she had gone to the psychiatrist in the first place was that her boss told her it was that or be fired! But she has absolutely NO memory of this event! It didn't fit with her reality! I just chuckle.

I have more thoughts on the small town issue, but feel so awful I will save them for another day.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Karen VA- you can get the app for strong lifts. He has videos on there of each of the lifts. Hope you find a good trainer. Sometimes they try to steer women away from heavy lifting but don't listen to them!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lisa and Penny The population of the town I grew up in was 2,000. We left keys in the cars and the doors to our houses unlocked.

Here is my take on Orlando: The shooter, not surprisingly, was a patron of The Pulse and of a gay dating site. If he was gay but was conflicted about it, especially given his father's ideology, you can imagine how seeing two men being affectionate affected him, especially given the fact that he was in the presence of his wife and son. If he was gay, which in my mind is a distinct possibility, his two worlds came crashing together in that moment. Hard to imagine what he felt. Longing? Hatred? Shame? Anger? Desire? Self-loathing? Whatever it was, he had to make it go away...so he did. I absolutely do not believe this had anything to do with ISIS except that the shooter's father was a sympathizer, so ISIS became symbolic of what he should be aspiring to if he honored his father. Instead, I believe it had to do with self-hatred, self-loathing, and an inability to resolve internal conflict.

Sorry if that was too heavy. The whole thing strikes close to home.

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

Well I think Charlie is back to his normal self. He can use the 'parachute pull' on the recliner in his man cave so maybe I won't have to watch Fox news all the time. Also he has found his cussing voice back. As a passenger driver I just have to tell him to zip it. I am driving and if I don't pull into a parking spot just the right way and have to back out and redo it, then it's my parking and not his. I drive my speed, I pull out into traffic my way....cautious. Just zip it Charlie! If he isn't careful I'll slip some of his Lortab into his food.

Joyce, Indiana

:)Joyce, I know what you're going through....when Jake has had surgeries and I've had to drive for awhile, I tell him that the only way I'll drive with him in the car is if I carry a roll of duct tape for his mouth. My biggest concern about his upcoming surgery is that I'll have to drive him through Seattle and then home afterwards and then be the driver for 4-6 weeks when we get home.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    1s1y11kgub5q.jpg

this is a reminder for me and my upcoming drive through Seattle and for anyone else wondering if they can dance, paint, do yoga, or anything else
  • prbford64
    prbford64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! I wasn't able to catch up with any posts at all yesterday so today has been a marathon read of 3 pages of posts. Being new to the group, I'm not able yet to keep straight who is who, but I'm struck by the genuineness of everyone...how refreshing!

Happy Birthday to stumplovingly & Linda!

Dawn in MD, Murfreesboro is about a little over an hour west of me. I am in northeastern NC (Elizabeth City, NC), about an hour south of Norfolk, VA and 45 minutes west of Kitty Hawk (OBX), NC. I hope your son will love NC! You mentioned that you seem to have a gluten sensitivity...I have that also. Genetics runs strong in my family and my brother discovered several years ago that he has a gluten sensitivity that was aggravating his psoriasis. It progressed to psoriatic arthritis, with his hands & wrists being most affected, so he went gluten free. He is a dentist, so this was a serious thing for him. I developed psoriasis a couple years ago, with the same kinds of symptoms he started with, and I went Gluten Free (GF) earlier this year. If I had one top piece of advice for anyone going GF, it would be to NOT substitute GF products (GF crackers, pasta, etc.), but rather just get rid of all of it altogether. Easier said than done, I know, but it is possible. At the end of January I lost my best friend to suicide and that tragedy completely derailed me. I've recently gone back to cutting gluten out of my diet and have had immediate benefits from doing so...psoriasis patches are significantly less inflamed & itchy, headaches have subsided, and my "wheat belly" is decreasing each day. There's a lot of conflicting info & opinions on the gluten issue, but for me, "the proof is in the pudding", and I feel much better without gluten in my diet.

Michele - your mermaid is adorable, as are the frogs & caterpillar! Do you do those from greenware or do you create the entire piece?

Someone mentioned my profile pic (sorry, cannot remember who right now) - that is my boy Dooley. He is my velcro dog and is rarely very far from me. My dogs are all older and my life schedule revolves around the medication schedule for my oldest (a 14-ish year old boxer/pit mix named Ashe). He takes one medication for seizures 3 times a day and because he had cluster seizures & one of his medications has a relatively short half-life, I have alarms set on both my watch and my phone so that I'm never late in giving his meds; he gets meds 4 times a day for the seizures and other meds 1X/day for his allergies. Even at 14 years old, he is my biggest goofball.

So, I'm trying to figure out all the abbreviations...LOL - anyone willing to give me a crash course?

I'm curious what types of dietary regimen different ladies here follow. I was always extremely fit and active; I am a certified personal trainer and fitness instructor, but I no longer train or teach because of my weight. My weight began to climb in 2006, when my husband had a very serious motorcycle accident. He was in hospital an hour away from where we live for 3 months + I was working at the time, in a hospital also an hours' commute from home. With the commutes for work and visiting him in hospital, combined with needing to fit everything around Ashe's medication schedule, I had zero time for physical activity and was living mostly off fast food. OOPS! After his lengthy hospital stay, he came home to be confined to a wheelchair for almost 4 months. His injuries were significant enough that they completely changed our life forever, especially relative to the activities we used to do together. He was a marathon runner (I walked or biked with him when he trained), we both did a lot of mountain biking & kayaking, and I skated (rollerblades) every day, rode my road bike several days a week (with a long ride on Sat. & Sun.), and was in the gym nearly every day to teach a class, train a client, or do my own workouts. All of that came to a crashing halt with Steve's accident and I've never been able to get back to doing any of it, really. When menopause came crashing into my life a few years ago, everything really went to hell and I have really struggled in figuring out what this new set of circumstances requires. Currently, I'm following a low carb, gluten free diet structure and am not substituting any gluten free options of bread, crackers, pasta, etc. It has surprised me how little I have missed these things and have even come to have few cravings for them. Just curious about what other ladies close to my age find works for them.

Off now to have a bit of breakky and then an appointment at 11 to get fitted for a CPAP. I can't wait to get my machine and am very much looking forward to getting more sleep at night & not feeling drained all the time. After lunch, my goal is to get in a short session of strength training. Hoping it will cool down enough to get my furkids out for some yard play early evening! Wishing you all a wonderful day filled with little successes!

Paula in NE NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Linda and Stumplovingly :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps -

Aww, dear Pip, your "bonkerness" is what we love about you the most and what inspires the rest of us. :)

Janetr okc
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia, that is my take on the situation as well.

Gluten free here, due to celiac disease. I feel so much better that I do not crave things with gluten. Very rarely I will buy a UDI product like bread or double chocolate muffins to keep myself from feeling deprived, but they are very overpriced. I would recommend learning all the ways gluten hides in foods, and be careful of cross contamination if you really are intolerant of gluten.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. BOy is it hot and sticky here today; 85 at 0830! We are supposed to get storms tonight so maybe that will cool things off but I doubt it. Around here rain just increases the humidity!

I went to aqua zumba for the first time since herniating my discs and it went well. So I'm glad about that.

Someone asked about how much time to spend here....when I am in the habit of actually getting here (that's the biggest challenge for me) I get on first thing when I get to my office and do my chatting and log my breakfast, morning snack, and lunch. Then at night I log my dinner but don't usually chat. I keep a word document open at the same time as mfp so I can write responses as I read posts.

Well I do have a meeting to get to, so this is very short. Take care and have a nice day. meg from Omaha
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    Janetr it wasn't raining after I gone done with the gym, but I did put my rain gear on just in case. I may b bonkers but I do think ahead
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I feel so out of shape today! I have been trying to do a C25K program because I promised my daughters last year that I would run the color run with them this summer. So, I am only on week 3 which means I have a segment where I should be running for 3 minutes. I was able to do this on the treadmill at a pretty slow pace. But, this morning, I tried doing the same thing running on the trails outside. I could only run for 2 minutes. Guess I need to run outside more and I’m going to be stuck at this level for a bit.

Joyce/SD – You must be near Brookings. I haven’t been there, but have been to Sioux Falls several times and my daughter seriously considered attending USD in Vermillion.

Kat in Illinois – I won’t judge you. I’ve been watching the Bachelorette this summer too. But now, I’m going to have to choose between that and American Ninja Warriors on Mondays. Oh, choices, choices…

Penny – Well said on our virtual friends. My husband knows about this thread but we don’t really talk about it. He doesn’t know how to support my journey and sometimes unknowingly says insensitive things. That is why I need everyone here!

Welcome Cheryl!

Paula – Because you are a former personal trainer, I am confident that you will find a way to incorporate exercise into your life again. Sorry to hear about your husband’s motorcycle accident and the lifestyle changes that has caused for you. I’m just working to move more and eat a little healthier every day. Right now, I combine interval training on the treadmill with a little strength training. I tried a Paleo 10-day detox but I’ve added back in most foods now. I do think I have some sensitivity to gluten and may eliminate that, but my biggest culprit is simply sugar. The sweets are so addictive.

Thanks to all who have already posted birthday wishes. I’ve been posting here for almost a year, but you all welcomed me into this group as a youngster. Now, I am officially 50! My youngest daughter is still out of town on her church choir trip to Colorado, but my oldest daughter has something planned for tonight and won’t give me the details. I am guessing dinner and then either a movie or a bike ride. We’ll see.

Linda/IA
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    barbie you've got this. You are doing what needs to get done and we are all with you in reality or otherwise. Your sisters are pulling for you!

I am stuck in the tire shop after the father of all potholes took out my front tire. I am not gonna spend $ on a taxi when I can work remotely for a change. I made that executive decision on my own, thank you very much >:)

I am in a whirl of activities involving end of school year work, DD graduation and big trip for college orientation and my oldest sister's bathroom remodel is around the corner. I will be in Philadelphia in July to help with the remodel, to be completed before the democrats pour in for the dem. Convention. The city will be a madhouse so I am hoping to get everything complete before end of July!!
    Cheers to all of us for checking in and logging in and moving cause IT WORKS :# NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Off for a lecture soon on our last two stops, Molde, (capital of roses) and Bergen.

You all made me cry again today with your beautiful posts about the group. With DH it is mainly about the amount of "sharing" that goes on, plus the fact that we can't be sure who is posting, or reading. He would never share personal details on the Internet, but then he is reticent in real life, apart from with me. It's a man thing.

Penny must have landed in Tromso just as we were leaving. We have been cruising along the fjord, looking at all the gorgeous little, or big, holiday homes by the water.
    Tromso was very pleasant, though the weather was overcast. We managed to avoid all the cruise crowds and visited the cable car up to a lovely view, the Arctic Cathedral, (beautiful modern design), and walked back over a long bridge to lunch in town and a couple of small museums. I was on my feet for well over 3 hours and could really feel it, so DH went off on his own and I went back to the ship. I still ache. :o

Nice and calm for our day at sea tomorrow. B)

Love Heather