Do men secretly want a more traditional housewife?

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I'm not meaning dressing up like a 50's house wife, but more in spirit : making the man the #1 priority, centring your day around his comings and goings, hot meal on the table, house clean, wife all prettied up...

That is more of a Leave it To Beaver type definition. I think the reality was a division of labor in running a family. My great-grandmother and grandmother were both housewifes, and if you think for one second they took any crap from my grandfathers you would be sorely mistaken. They didn't try to pretty up and didn't make the man the number #1 priority. Kids and keeping the family running and together was top priority.

and, on the flip side, I would get pretty, build a fire, and let him kick back while I grill a steak for my man after working an 8 hour work day myself not because i'm some 1950's stay at home wife, but because I love the *kitten* and want to make him happy.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

and, on the flip side, I would get pretty, build a fire, and let him kick back while I grill a steak for my man after working an 8 hour work day not because i'm some 1950's stay at home wife, but because I love the *kitten* and want to make him happy.

I like steak.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

and, on the flip side, I would get pretty, build a fire, and let him kick back while I grill a steak for my man after working an 8 hour work day not because i'm some 1950's stay at home wife, but because I love the *kitten* and want to make him happy.

I like steak.

I'm a fricken vegetarian!!! LOL!
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    NO!

My wife of 32 years is a full-time surgical RN-BSN. We both work all day. We raised two great kids together. We BOTH did homework with them all through grade school.

We share all the duties at home. The kids are gone(so we can afford the lawn-care guys and twice a month cleaning lady), but I make breakfast and lunches. She makes dinners and WE BOTH CLEAN UP.

We have always felt, "If you made the mess, you clean it up." Our grown kids are the same way.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No.

I want my woman to have a full time job, come home, cook, clean, take care of the kids, satisfy me sexually, and then let me go and hang out with my friends all day.

^^^^^ AND you would be doing WHAT????

Over here sounding like my ex-fiance......Key word is EX

I don't think it's a secret especially if you are raised in the south like TEXAS, ALABAMA, or GEORGIA from my experience.

I need a blend of it all. I would like to clean, iron, dress my man, and take care of the kids but I need him to want to spoil me when I come home from work by allowing me to only really have to cook two times a week. So either he will cook the other days and/or take us out to eat.

I would like to keep some type of employment that satisfies me like working with the Military Veterans.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I was a 50s housewife for a couple weeks. My husband got frightened and called an exorcist. It took some work, but she's gone now.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Do men secretly want a more traditional housewife?

No, not at all. I don't keep it a secret. I tell my wife every day how much I love her staying home.

tumblr_mokap7XX9P1qc5cioo2_500.jpg
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. So, it doesn't matter what I say. Then STFU. Back to my original idea. I'm watching my kids. It doesn't matter how I express it. Sometimes, I say I have to babysit my kids, Sometimes, I say I'm spending time with them, sometimes, I just say I'm busy. It's not a big deal. the words I choose are irrelevant. Stop putting so much emphasis on the words being said, and listen to the intent and tone.

Rar, sir. If you and I both agree that it's not the words that matter, but rather the intent behind them - why are you so upset with me? It seems odd.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    to answer the OP's question: No. Not at all.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I was unaware I wanted this. I'm still unaware I want that.
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been married for 16 years, I would love a wife who does "something" in the house.

I do all the cooking, which is a good thing, because she can't cook.
    I do the cleaning, the washing, take kids to sport/ friends etc.

She is a nurse and says she is always tired and can't be bothered. Mess doesn't faze her, but it drives me nuts. I am embarrassed to have people come to our house if it's untidy, so, I clean it up.

The only thing I won't do is the ironing, but I tend to iron my own shirts and school uniforms every week because the Missus forgot.

So now I use MFP and exercise to burn away my frustrations.
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One portion of that is women who expect their husband or 'significant other' to maintain his traditional male role of providing and doing the manly chores, yet she expects to be able to do whatever she wants. I think its a small portion of society, but I have seen it out there. I think its all fostered by the idea of the 'perfect wedding' or the 'fantasy wedding'. It starts the whole marriage off on a path that is difficult to recover from.

I dont know about that. My boyfriend if anything wants me to be independent and have a job, yet make sure dinner is cooked and the house is clean. He kinda hints at it - but I am not a 50s style wife lol

And I dont want him paying for everything, makes people act like they own you.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    So here's my question: in this modern society do men secretly (or sub subconsciously) want a 1950's doting housewife?

I'm not meaning dressing up like a 50's house wife, but more in spirit : making the man the #1 priority, centring your day around his comings and goings, hot meal on the table, house clean, wife all prettied up...

If guys do like that is it just a novelty and they get bored with it or is it something deep down they want but dare not say so?
    I'm really looking for a sugar mama, but I'd settle for this. :wink:
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Im a sahm myself and I do all the cleaning, cooking, baking everything basically , except my husband takes out the trash mows the lawn , hauls the laundry downstairs for me on occasion and cooks every once in awhile. He works about 60 hours a week so I try and not give him to many things to do outside of work except of course be a loving husband and a great father to our little girls which he is , never seen a man so happy to his children, he jumps over the baby gate our kids are little and runs over to give them hugs when he gets in the door after work, its beautiful .He takes them places with them because he loves spending time with them .
    '
    Im a SAHM mostly because of day car costs and party because I love spending time with my daughters while they are small. Even though it is a financial struggle on us all for me to be a SaHM , me going to work part time isn't enough to truly help it would all go to daycare. So for now I stay home, my husband would love for me to stay at home without the money issues though hoping that changes sooner than later, it is highly important to him that he provides for us well.

I'm fine with him being the sole provider for now and one day I want to return to work when our daughters are older, I was in college for 5 yrs and would like to return one day .

I don't think my husband would care if I was the bread winner because as long as our daughters are taken care of it does not matter who works.

Being a SAHM is a job just not one you get paid for in momentary value but in intrinsic value . life experience, kisses, hugs so on .
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm daddy househusband and take care of everything at home. Oh and I never have a headache.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Haha, love it!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I secretly kinda wanna be that type of housewife?

it is not bad at all. if it works for you then great. If you can stay at home and not go bored out of your mind then great. It just does not work for everyone.

No honey, its not bad at all. Its actually quite nice. And when we get bored, we take a nap. Simple as that. :wink:

Right? :laugh:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM in my second marriage. I think we do well as a family. I do freelance in graphic design and ghost writing. It's all good.