Do men secretly want a more traditional housewife?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I'll ask everyone at the next Man meeting and let you know.

who ever wrote this comment, YOU WIN.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I think Ludicris has it right.

A man wants a lady on the street and a freak in the bed.

this ^^
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Of course I always hear people say how bigger women were considered "better looking" back in the day, so if you want to pick and choose which part of the 50s you want back it may not be so bad.

Here are some old school ads so you can see how it was.

http://bodren.com/fat-women-are-hotter-back-to-the-50s/

VINTAGE-WEIGHT-GAIN-AD.jpg
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what men think, but on a personal level, I think before kids it's fair for both to work.. Personally, after I have kids I would rather spend all my time with them instead of working, if financially it will be feasible.. (Most people spend more on childcare than they would lose by staying home so, it depends on your situation really)

I definitely think it is a womans role to look after and comfort the man in the relationship, I am very much for tradition gender roles, but I agree it has to be a two way street... The man has to be respectful, let you do things your way and look after you to the same degree, if only in different ways.

'I think Ludicris has it right.

A man wants a lady on the street and a freak in the bed.'

I don't really know what Ludacris is, but I agree with that sentiment.
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    depends on the man how he was raised and culture

This ^^^^^
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    doesn't everyone like to feel cared for??? what am I missing?
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I speak for myself when i say that there are some things that i would like for my wife to do... I cook most of the meals and do almost everything myself. i was raised to cook, clean, iron, lawn work and it goes on.. but i would like to come home to a homecooked meal and maybe some cleaning done... i honestly don't wish for that everyday but a cooked meal shows me she cares and wants to make me comfortable in life :) she was raised completely different her mom did everything so when we moved in together there was alot that i had to teach her..
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think deep, deep down, men want a woman to dote on them and take care of them. However, with that they want a woman who can stand on her own. Has her own interests and ideas. I think men like the idea of having someone care for them at home, while they go out into the work force and care for the family financially. But they also want to know they have a smart, strong woman at home who they can trust and rely on to care for their children.

I think it kinda goes back to cave men days. The men would go out and hunt and battle. And the women would stay at home and raise kids and take care of the men when they got home. Obviously things have changed a lot, but I think on a deep level both genders feel good filling that role. It only works if both parties have a serious respect and admiration for the other person and for how hard their work is.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You know, I think men "secretly" just want someone they can be comfortable with. Friends with. Lovers with. Happy with. However that manifests in a specific relationship is different from couple to couple.

Also, a lot of people have "seasons" in their relationships. They may be "traditional" for a period of 5-10 years and then more modern later on. I know many women who stay at home when the kids are young and then get back to work when the kids are school age.

If I had to make a wager, I'd say a lot of modern men don't want the stress or burden of being the only financial provider. They want a partner to share the burden. Which makes sense to me.

^THIS

futuramaapplause.gif

THis is how i feel... i am the only provider for my family... my wife just got her degree and doesnt want to do anything with it till our last child is in school.. these days it takes two to have a comfortable living.. it is hard and a lot of pressur..
  • feather314
    feather314 Posts: 97
    Options
    Hmmm... while I don't think my husband wants a "traditional 50's housewife" - i.e. meal on the table when he walks in the door, doting on him, etc I do think he secretly wants me to be more wifey. Not sure if that makes sense.

We both work full time; however, I work from home. We are a two income family but his income is more than double mine so...

I do think he expects me to be more the nurturing partner/parent. I think he would rather me cook the meals, give the kids baths, do the laundry, etc. Not because he's a man and he thinks those are women's jobs but because thats the household he was raised in. He was fortunate enough to have parents that were (and still are) together. Dad worked full time and mom stayed at home til all four kids were in school. Once all her kids were in school she went back to work (in the school system so she had summers off). So naturally his mom did all the cooking, all the laundry, took care of the kids, etc.

Don't get me wrong, he does cook on occasions (mostly the grilling and such), he does do laundry when necessary, and will give the kids a bath but for the most part I do those things. And buy all the gifts, plan all the parties, make sure the birthday and holiday cards are sent, and make sure the bills are paid. I'm better at it. If those things tasks were assigned to him, holy moly - people would get Christmas cards in July!!!

I on the other hand was raised by a single mom that worked multiple jobs. I did not have a "traditional" family/household. There were no specific roles in our house. Mom did it all until we were old enough to help (be told what to do). I think how one is raised has a lot to do with how people think marriages and families should work.
  • ravegee
    ravegee Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm not married and don't plan on getting married anytime soon. But whenever I do get married I wouldn't do any yard work. I think that's a man's job. But I would keep the house clean, cook my husband dinner, wash his clothes, and take care of the children. I would also supply my income with writing books. I think that it's a man's job to take care of his family . :wink:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    To be honest I could care less what role is done by who. I would think the minute you start assuming the other will do things is the minute youre setting yourself up for failure
  • shasingalls
    shasingalls Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll ask everyone at the next Man meeting and let you know.

LOL Thats awesome!!!