Deadlifting on Smith Machine

Options
123457»

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Over 100 posts on a thread about my *kitten* deadlifts. Lol

Kitten deadlifts would be pretty fun. You could just hold them by the scruff of the neck. They'd try to run away between sets though :)

At least I can deadlift a kitten! A big cat might eat me first.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    evilokc wrote: »
    I deadlift on a smith. Im aware that free weights are superior but at my gym the smith is the only option. I still get benefits from the smith even if they are less than i would get from freeweights. I also do my hevier benching on the smith because i workout alone and have no spot. I am in the gym to workout and build muscle NOT lift weights. So lift on my friend. Most people dont deadlift at all and thats a shame.

It's not a matter of free weights just being better. It's a matter of proper form. Bad form on a lift as big and technical as the deadlift is a recipe for injury.

As to the bold: what?

there is a difference between building muscles and lifting weights. Body builders build muscle, weight lifters lift weights. they both use the same equipment, but for different purposes, they are two different sports.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    I deadlift on a smith. Im aware that free weights are superior but at my gym the smith is the only option. I still get benefits from the smith even if they are less than i would get from freeweights. I also do my hevier benching on the smith because i workout alone and have no spot. I am in the gym to workout and build muscle NOT lift weights. So lift on my friend. Most people dont deadlift at all and thats a shame.

It's not a matter of free weights just being better. It's a matter of proper form. Bad form on a lift as big and technical as the deadlift is a recipe for injury.

there is a difference between building muscles and lifting weights. Body builders build muscle, weight lifters lift weights. they both use the same equipment, but for different purposes, they are two different sports.

Yeah I'm not getting that differentiation ...
    bodybuilders lift weights to build muscle, and strength is a byproduct and they pay attention to diet for aesthetics.
    Weight lifters lift weights to lift weights and build strength and muscle build is a by product?.

Are we talking about one being about aesthetics and the other strength? Or the psychological approach.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

bodybuilders lift weights to build muscle, and strength is a byproduct and they pay attention to diet for aesthetics.
    Weight lifters lift weights to lift weights and build strength and muscle build is a by product?.

Are we talking about one being about aesthetics and the other strength? Or the psychological approach.

I saw a Youtube video of an arm wrestling contest between a professional bodybuilder (HUGE arms, of course) and a champion arm wrestler (decently burly guy, but you wouldn't really notice him on the street.) The arm wrestler won easily.

Could that be the difference people are talking about?

• SonyaCele
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Yes. At the extreme end of the spectrum, body builders lift to build and size and sculpt for aesthetics, no one cares how much they can bench. Weight lifters train to lift the most weight, the 1rm, they aren't judged on what they look like. They train differently, they eat differently. There are many similarities, but also many differences. They are just two different sports. And deciding what to do is purely personal and what someone enjoys.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    since this thread is still alive (which is really cool cuz deadlifts rock) , and no one has posted this yet. here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    since this thread is still alive (which is really cool cuz deadlifts rock) , and no one has posted this yet. here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc

Still waiting for his deadlift!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Still waiting for his deadlift!

Only been 2 years....