July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @5512bf That sounds like a really rough run. I had a 20 miler that I ended at 18 a few weeks ago, for similar reasons. Too hot. Too humid. But seriously congrats on your mileage for July; that's an amazing total! I stand in awe!

@_nikkiwolf_ That mixture is intriguing. But I like gels, so I'll keep eating them :) A running friend of mine made this goop-paste as an alternative for gels once, but she only took it on two runs. It didn't taste bad, but it did resemble a loose doggy poo :D She carried it in an empty breath mint tin and it worked for her, but it was cumbersome to bring to a race.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_
    I've been trying to figure out a marathon day nutrition plan. I've seen similar mixtures and have been wanting to try some. Since I know I've got water ever 2 miles at the race I tried something new today. I took 4 gels and 5 Nuun tablets and put in a 12 Oz bottle with hot water to disolve last night then the refrigerator. I sipped a bit of it every 2 miles then drank about 6-8 Oz of water. This worked fairly well today until the humidity finally zapped me. I think putting everything together like this or your mixture will be much more manageable race day vs trying to carry and open gels while running. I'll probably try something like your recipe next week since mine cost me about 8 bucks.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe July is already gone, in a blink of an eye it'll be dark and rainy.

July was a nice running month, broke 300 miles but more importantly I learnt that if you try to remove a moth on your leg while running downhill without stopping... you end up at the er with bruised ribs and cuts on half your body!

Never mind lesson learnt and time for my favourite hobby, removing scabs! Was lucky that either damage was not so bad or my body heals fast. Moving as much as possible is painful but it does make you heal fast.

Just wanted to ask you: in a month time I'll be in NY, are there any good places to enjoy a relaxed run and should I avoid central Park?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 - definitely run in Central Park! It's awesome and a lot of shade. There is a 5 mile or 6 mile loop - and you could just loop it a few times. It will probably be very hot and humid, so you will need the shade and to start early. I ran it last weekend with my daughter who lives there. She runs it every weekend. Another great run is along the Hudson, however, it is sunny, so unless it is chilly out I wouldn't run it.

@HonuNui - I got teary-eyed reading about your son too. Great news!

Sorry - I forgot who asked about hydration after a run. I have been obsessed with watermelon this month! I buy entire watermelons and eat a few cups after a run. @shanaber said that when they go out of season to try just buying watermelon juice. But another thing my daughter uses and I tried and like too is this: http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/ Got mine from Amazon. I like it much better than the normal sports drinks.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10 -35 miles biking
    7/11 - 5 mile run + strength training
    7/12 - 5 mile run
    7/13 - 4 miles
    7/14 - 4.3 miles
    7/15 - 4.5 miles
    7/16 - 41 miles biking
    7/17 - rest day and driving 12 hours
    7/18 - 5 miles
    7/19 - 5.3 miles - intervals
    7/20 - 7 miles
    7/21 - rest day/travel
    7/22 - 4 miles in NYC - Astoria
    7/23 - 6.4 miles in NYC - Astoria
    7/24 - 6.4 miles Central Park, NYC
    7/25 - 5 miles - Goal!
    7/26 - rest day/traveling
    7/27 - rest
    7/28 - 4 miles + spinning class
    7/29 - strength training
    7/30 - 34 miles biking
    7/31 - 37 miles biking

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    July  2     6.5      6.5 
    July  3     5.0     11.5 
    July  4     4.3     15.8 
    July  6     4.3     20.1 
    July  9    13.2     33.3 
    July 11     5.5     38.8
    July 13     7.0     45.8
    July 15     5.3     51.1
    July 19     4.3     55.4
    July 20     5.1     60.5
    July 22     6.2     66.7
    July 23     5.1     71.8
    July 25     5.1     76.9
    July 27     4.4     81.3
    July 29     7.4     88.7
    July 30     8.2     96.9
    July 31     4.3    101.2

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @greenolivetree yeah. I blame it on tomorrow being a rest day....for some reason I get these little freak outs when I'm looking ahead to a no running day....

LOL I get it. I get anxious before regular planned runs that aren't even races.

Another reason I like running first thing in the morning. I am already up and running before my brain wakes up. By the time I freak out to do what I planned, I'm already doing it. Lol

Yes. I've realized I get freaked out waiting all day to run in the evening. What if something comes up? What if I feel tired or gross? Lol. I'd rather just get up and do it :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Another reason I like running first thing in the morning. I am already up and running before my brain wakes up. By the time I freak out to do what I planned, I'm already doing it. Lol

Yup. This. If I wait at all I end up not wanting to run...If I'm moving, either running or driving to my hilly run, within 15 minutes, I'm good to go...it's too late to stop it.

Another thing for the last day of this discussion...Brooks Mens Drift Shell...I can get it for $67 in my size directly from Brooks....this is very tempting.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim nice running! sucks about your running partner wanting to run outside and then bailing on you. Hope you get into Boston!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @HonuNui Awesome news about your son!!!!!! And thank you for the sunscreen reminder. I grew up in the desert southwest (US) and was always outside - often without sunscreen. Now I'm much more careful, but very worried about developing skin cancer from all my early exposure :(

High fives to everyone who made or passed their goal, and hugs to everyone who's injured, still recovering, or just needs one :smiley:

See ya in August!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 - LOL. If I had the hand-eye coordination to take pictures while running, I might be playing tennis or baseball instead of being a runner. With my coordination, the *best* thing that could happen if I tried to take pictures while running is that I'd get bad pictures. More likely, I'd drop the phone and interrupt the run. Or drop the phone, have it land just wrong, and break the phone. Or face plant, and end the run for me. Just too much risk, I'm better off leaving the phone in my belt till I stop.

@Ohhim - Yes, I have my calendar reminder set to register for Boston on September 12. I hope you get in and I see you there next April. The speculation I've seen is running toward a smaller cutoff for 2017 than for 2016, but nobody really knows.

• FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    July 2nd - 8.5km (6:37 min/km... 162bpm)
    July 3rd - 3km (5:23min/km...180bpm)

July 4th - .5km (actually 5x110m sprint, then walk back: fastest 3:11pace, slowest 3:25pace)
    July 6th - 4.5km (6:38min/km... 160bpm)
    July 7th - 8.5km (6:40 pace, 172bpm) Back at my hometown - along the ridge rd (Hilly)
    July 9th - 5km Parkrun (watch said 4.92; course is different: 5:18 pace, 181bpm)

July 15th - 22km (6:54 pace, 166bpm)

July 19th - 3.5km (6:45min/km, 168bpm)
    July 20th - 5km (6:24min/km, 166bpm)

July 25th - 5km (6:19min/km, 165bpm)
    July 26th - 4.5km (6:14min/km, 168bpm)
    July 27th - 1.5km (120mx10 plus warmup) (3.17-3.34 pace)
    July 28th - 10.3km (and then my garmin just randomly lost it before my run finished so I never got the data from it!. A bit under 7min/km I think and HR seemed high for the speed... high 160's?)
    July 30th - 5km Parkrun (5:53min/km, 177bpm)
    July 31st - 3.5km (6:43 pace, 163bpm)

90.3/100km
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @ohhim - when I was reading your post I assumed you were still up north. Your friend talked you into running on a Florida afternoon? Oh hell no! lol

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Final log for July: 111.15% of goal

01-Jul: 3.38 miles
    02-Jul: 6.45 miles
    03-Jul: <Life Day>
    04-Jul: 6.36 miles
    05-Jul: 7.14 miles
    06-Jul: 5.31 miles
    07-Jul: 4.75 miles
    08-Jul: 5.49 miles
    09-Jul: 5.75 miles
    10-Jul: <Life Day>
    11-Jul: 5.78 miles
    12-Jul: 6.36 miles
    13-Jul: 3.54 miles
    14-Jul: 6.37 miles
    15-Jul: 6.20 miles
    16-Jul: 10.57 miles
    17-Jul: <Life Day>
    18-Jul: 6.81 miles
    19-Jul: 6.45 miles
    20-Jul: 4.23 miles
    21-Jul: 6.62 miles
    22-Jul: 7.03 miles
    23-Jul: 6.76 miles
    24-Jul: <Life Day>
    25-Jul: 6.49 miles
    26-Jul: 6.34 miles
    27-Jul: 0.00 miles plus 1.00 miles (walk)
    28-Jul: 7.10 miles
    29-Jul: 5.32 miles
    30-Jul: 8.01 miles
    31-Jul: <Life Day>

exercise.png

Not much to say - but 15.61 miles for Black Toenail Month - or whatever it wound up being called. On to August - tomorrow is my bi-weekly off-Monday, so I'm planning on a long-ish run. We'll see what the weather decides....

Upcoming Races:
    13-Aug: Apple-a-Day 5K, Macon
    27-Aug: John 316 Cancer Awareness 5K, Lizella
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    10-Sep: Glazin' a Trail Donut Run 5K, Centerville
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K, Macon OR
    Race for Education 5K, Warner Robins
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    01-Oct: Terry's Run 5K, Eastman
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon
    12-Nov: Pecan Orchard 10K, Fort Valley
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    July running challenge: goal is 60 miles.

7/5...4 miles
    7/7...3.66 miles (rolling hills program on the treadmill)--11:06 pace.
    7/8...10 miles
    7/10...6 miles
    total of 23.66 miles for the month of Jul

7/12....4.15 miles (rolling hills on the treadmill)--12:14 pace....exhausted after working all night and only 5 hours sleep. Still happy that I was able to run. Was distracted by getting a free phone in the mail...so too late to run outside.
    Total for July thus far...27.83.

7/15....5.08 miles(rolling hills program on the treadmill) at 12:00 pace. I wanted to run a little faster, approximately 11:06 pace again, but "fried" after working 2 nights in a row and getting very little sleep. My plan is to run a long run today, probably 10 miles.
    I slept 10 hours last night and feel great and I lost almost a pound over night. I am in maintenance now (for a month) but still closely monitoring the weight gain/loss. One of my mfp friends lost the weight quickly ( he was ona 1200 calorie diet) and gained 40 pounds back the next year.

Total for the month of July...32.91.

7/16 ....6 miles(fartleks)....that was a fun run! Cool weather...I started too late to run the 10 miles that I planned..so opted to run 6 today and then try for 10 tomorrow.I did almost get hit by a "smart" car at an intersection. It was funny...I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and sized up whether it would damage me more than I would damage it if we collided. On Monday, I plan to rest. New total is 38.91.

Thanks to Elise4270, Stowshew71, and AdriaChr92 for answering my questions. I will google Authur Lydiard...always interested in unorthodox training methods.

@MobyCarp: Very impressed with your race results, esp. being number 1 in your age bracket. If I race long enough, I may break into the top 100 finishers. Such an accomplishment to be number 1. I love the curved glass trophy...super cool.

Just finished running 10 miles today...it was harder than last time, maybe because I ran 6 miles yesterday and 5 the previous day. I tried to stay at 85-87% max heart rate...after 5 miles, I could really feel the soreness kick in. I was expecting rubbery legs, not soreness. It was really hot today with occasional cool headwind. I wanted to quit but kept repeating, "stronger, fitter, faster" as a kind of mantra. I slowed significantly the last 3 miles, probably 14 minute and 15 min miles. Afterward, soaked with sweat. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow.

Total for the month is 37.83.

7/19....6 miles....last 3 tempo miles at 95% heart rate. Another hot day, 89 degrees with a heat index of 100. 1st 1/2 mile I felt like I had cement blocks on my shoes, but then felt better. By mile 4, I was in the "zone", then fatigued in the middle of mile 5. Just pushed on after that. Not really worried about how fast I am getting it done (except when I start late...don't want to be in the park after dark.) Lately I have been running in the afternoon...very few runners for obvious reasons, but I also want to "get a little tougher". Dripping with sweat afterwards...have to peel my clothes off and then "warm up".

Many of my friends tell me that I am crazy for running...because I am going to "wreck" my joints. I never have joint pain or problems but sometimes my legs ache (mostly muscle) when I am trying to sleep. I have no problems when I walk. Anything that can help that? I know to stay away from Nsaids. I will take Tylenol just to help with sleep.

Rest day today...my husband and I are going to a concert (Frampton and Allman). Long run tomorrow.

Total for the month...43.83 miles.

Unable to do the long run. One of my trees in my backyard fell into a neighbor's yard. My husband asked me to help him with gathering limbs and stacking them. It was a really large tree and may take a couple of days with a chain saw to get it out of her yard.

The muscles (lateral) around my knees feel tight. Also some soreness in hamstrings. Do any of you worry about overtraining?

I may do a short run tomorrow...noted that I was 17 miles from completing my monthly goal.

I ran for 3 miles this a.m. ....it was all of the time I had this a.m. but last 2 days were "rest" days and I knew that I can't run again until Sunday. Total for the month is 46.83.

It was cooler this a.m. 82 degrees with heat index of 95 but the dew point was 76....ugh! I run near an organic garden and was envying the plants that were getting watered.

I work the next 2 nights...will keep checking in...You are all so inspirational...I love this group!

Unable to run yesterday due to extreme heat....heat index of 104. Plus didn't want to deal with "Brickyard" traffic.

Able to run this a.m. though. 4 miles...much cooler this a.m. 76 degrees with 96% humidity. Waiting for a break in the weather.

Total for the month...50.48 miles.

7/27.....6 miles.....It was 88 degrees, heat index of 104 and only 55% humidity. I felt good and was able to run at an even pace....11:44 minute miles until mile 6 and it was a little over 12 minutes.
    I have started reading "Meb for Mortals" and have been focused on where my arms are when I run. When I keep the wrists close the waist , my posture improves significantly...I never realized that I was leaning forward so much.
    I have to get ready for work. Will try to catch up with all of the copious posts.

Total for the month. 56.48 miles. Only 4 more miles...to complete July.

7/29......I was already at the gym. So decided to run on the treadmill. Using the rolling hills program, I ran 4.46 miles at a pace of 11:19. I was dripping in sweat afterward. As usual, I began getting the "runner's high" at mile 4...I felt like running farther but there is a time limit on the treadmill. Do any of you experience a "runner's high" at any particular mile? Just curious. Also notice that I have a layer of salt covering my body afterward...do any of you replace your electrolytes? Sport drinks or mineral replacement?

The good news is that I met goal...60.94 miles for the month. I plan to run today and tomorrow....may be over 70 miles by the end of the month. I am either going to run 4 or 6 miles today and then a long run of 10 tomorrow. It depends a lot on how much help my husband needs in getting rid of the tree that fell in our in the neighbor's yard.

Still working toward the Indianapolis HM on October 8th at Fort Ben.

7/30....9 miles.....Planned my long run for tomorrow but my legs were tired....could only muster 12:00-12:30 miles....so decided to switch up and do the long run today. Shortened it from 10 miles to 9 miles and ran it in 1:52:59. My right gluts were really aching around mile 6 and ached off an on until mile 8. Then I decided to try to pick up pace and noted that the aching disappeared. Hmmmm. Miles 7 and 8 were really tough...I ran mile 8 at 14:14. My breathing was good and my head was "in the game" but legs were quitting on me a little. Still glad that I got in under my belt. I am going for a shorter run tomorrow, probably 4 miles....I like that distance quite a bit.

Goal for the month...60 miles. Ran 69.94 miles.

Plan was to run 4 miles today after the horse race ( the Haskell) but sore legs and lacking the desire today.....so unplanned rest day.. Also covered in poison ivy, both wrists, left neck and face. Still made goal with 9.94 miles to spare. I feel god about it. Donating 9 miles to the injured. Onward to August!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Definitely not a fan of mid-afternoon outdoor running here, but for 5 miles, and given it was my (more novice) running partner's idea, I didn't want to discourage his optimism despite knowing it was a pretty bad idea on his part.

@mobycarp - Set my calendar alarm for the 19th at 10AM, and from everything I've read online, as long as they keep the Boston field at about 30,000, my 1:35 cutoff should be safe. Still, I don't think they announce the field size for at least 6 more weeks, so I'll just continue to control what I can (i.e. my prep for Chicago in October - where I'll age up), and let the chips fall where they may.

@mnlittlefinn - For 5 miles of slow running, I'm usually ok with whatever temperature is thrown at me, but definitely find my heart rate spikes up about 15 BPM at 93 degrees (according to garmin) vs. the 75 degrees my gym seems to be kept at. Still, beyond that sort of distance, I'd rather run in a cooler climate. On the plus side, this afternoon's humidity was pretty reasonable. RE your marathon training, I raced my first 5K in February of 2013, my first 10 miler in May of 2013, and my first marathon in May of 2014. I'd say a year and a half was about right, but don't want to discourage you from trying a longer distance if you think your body feels comfortable with longer distance training runs.