July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Great job on your weight loss progress!

@RespectTheKitty Here's a couple things that help me in the morning. The hardest thing for me honestly is getting my eyes open! My hubby laughs and calls me "little girl" because I wake up with sleepy eyes and I'm squinting. My eyes just hurt and burn, but after I use a hot washcloth on my face I feel awake! Some people may think cold water would be a wake up but the heat works for me. Second thing is my legs don't feel awake, so while I'm getting dressed and ready I'm doing knee lifts and front kicks and hamstring curls to get my legs awake and loosened up :)
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    @shanaber thanks for the info - I was wondering what Blerches were :wink:
    @RespectTheKitty You can do it!
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Great progress!
    @skippygirlsmom my teenager has been a night owl her entire life - even when she was a toddler! Now that she's a teen there's no way on Earth I'm getting her out of bed before 7am to go running. So, good for you & Skip!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    7/2....2.01 miles walk/run on treadmill
    7/4....2.7 miles walk/run in park
    7/6....2.5 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/9....2.7 miles walk/ penguin shuffle run in park
    7/11..2.68 miles walk/ run on Harvard's football field
    7/13..3 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/15..1.51 miles run/ walk (mostly running :smile: ) on treadmill
    7/17..3.9 miles run/ walk in park
    7/19..2.25 miles run/ walk on treadmill (approx .25 mi walk + 2 mi run)
    7/21..2.21 miles run/ walk/ swim ??? in the park

I had planned to run 2.5 to 3 miles on the treadmill in the AC during the day because of the heat, but life hijacked my running plans and so I ended up doing 2.21 miles in the park in the early evening...with 1,000 degree temps and 1,000,000 % humidity...ok maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it sure felt like that! Not sure if it should count as a run or a swim :wink: Glad I did it though. The whole time I was thinking about all the comments on this thread about how heat training makes you stronger, etc. Good encouragement :smile: And even though my runs are still very short I do feel like I'm making progress & feeling stronger.

Goal: 35 + 2 for Black Toe Month
    23.95 done, 13.05 to go

Possible upcoming races (!):
    8/14: Humboldt Park 5K
    10/16: Stride Against Violence 5K
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Rest day for me, and I'm struggling with wanting to eat everything and wishing I was going to be running off some more calories. Tomorrow :)

@RespectTheKitty I'm a very reluctant morning runner as well. My group runs are now at 7 am on Saturdays with a 25 minute drive to get there and I didn't think I could do it. I'm still not happy about it, but once I get moving it's okay. I just lay clothes out, get coffee ready, hydration belt, etc. ready and wander bleary-eyed out the door. It hasn't turned me into a morning runner on other days, but I have a flexible enough schedule during the summer. We'll see how it goes in the fall.

I want to sign up for a 10k race to gauge how I do at a longer distance before jumping to my half marathon in October. I'm having trouble finding one that fits into my schedule. I guess August isn't ideal running weather so maybe that's why the lack of 10k's out there.

Be careful with the heat, everyone! Especially @cljoe7 - that 1,000,000% humidity is rough :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @katharmonic I have the same problem. I want to eat EVERYTHING! So glad that tomorrow's a run day
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    July running challenge: goal is 60 miles.

7/5...4 miles
    7/7...3.66 miles (rolling hills program on the treadmill)--11:06 pace.
    7/8...10 miles
    7/10...6 miles
    total of 23.66 miles for the month of Jul

7/12....4.15 miles (rolling hills on the treadmill)--12:14 pace....exhausted after working all night and only 5 hours sleep. Still happy that I was able to run. Was distracted by getting a free phone in the mail...so too late to run outside.
    Total for July thus far...27.83.

7/15....5.08 miles(rolling hills program on the treadmill) at 12:00 pace. I wanted to run a little faster, approximately 11:06 pace again, but "fried" after working 2 nights in a row and getting very little sleep. My plan is to run a long run today, probably 10 miles.
    I slept 10 hours last night and feel great and I lost almost a pound over night. I am in maintenance now (for a month) but still closely monitoring the weight gain/loss. One of my mfp friends lost the weight quickly ( he was ona 1200 calorie diet) and gained 40 pounds back the next year.

Total for the month of July...32.91.

7/16 ....6 miles(fartleks)....that was a fun run! Cool weather...I started too late to run the 10 miles that I planned..so opted to run 6 today and then try for 10 tomorrow.I did almost get hit by a "smart" car at an intersection. It was funny...I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and sized up whether it would damage me more than I would damage it if we collided. On Monday, I plan to rest. New total is 38.91.

Thanks to Elise4270, Stowshew71, and AdriaChr92 for answering my questions. I will google Authur Lydiard...always interested in unorthodox training methods.

@MobyCarp: Very impressed with your race results, esp. being number 1 in your age bracket. If I race long enough, I may break into the top 100 finishers. Such an accomplishment to be number 1. I love the curved glass trophy...super cool.

Just finished running 10 miles today...it was harder than last time, maybe because I ran 6 miles yesterday and 5 the previous day. I tried to stay at 85-87% max heart rate...after 5 miles, I could really feel the soreness kick in. I was expecting rubbery legs, not soreness. It was really hot today with occasional cool headwind. I wanted to quit but kept repeating, "stronger, fitter, faster" as a kind of mantra. I slowed significantly the last 3 miles, probably 14 minute and 15 min miles. Afterward, soaked with sweat. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow.

Total for the month is 37.83.

7/19....6 miles....last 3 tempo miles at 95% heart rate. Another hot day, 89 degrees with a heat index of 100. 1st 1/2 mile I felt like I had cement blocks on my shoes, but then felt better. By mile 4, I was in the "zone", then fatigued in the middle of mile 5. Just pushed on after that. Not really worried about how fast I am getting it done (except when I start late...don't want to be in the park after dark.) Lately I have been running in the afternoon...very few runners for obvious reasons, but I also want to "get a little tougher". Dripping with sweat afterwards...have to peel my clothes off and then "warm up".

Many of my friends tell me that I am crazy for running...because I am going to "wreck" my joints. I never have joint pain or problems but sometimes my legs ache (mostly muscle) when I am trying to sleep. I have no problems when I walk. Anything that can help that? I know to stay away from Nsaids. I will take Tylenol just to help with sleep.

Rest day today...my husband and I are going to a concert (Frampton and Allman). Long run tomorrow.

Total for the month...43.83 miles.

Unable to do the long run. One of my trees in my backyard fell into a neighbor's yard. My husband asked me to help him with gathering limbs and stacking them. It was a really large tree and may take a couple of days with a chain saw to get it out of her yard.

The muscles (lateral) around my knees feel tight. Also some soreness in hamstrings. Do any of you worry about overtraining?

I may do a short run tomorrow...noted that I was 17 miles from completing my monthly goal.

I ran for 3 miles this a.m. ....it was all of the time I had this a.m. but last 2 days were "rest" days and I knew that I can't run again until Sunday. Total for the month is 46.83.

It was cooler this a.m. 82 degrees with heat index of 95 but the dew point was 76....ugh! I run near an organic garden and was envying the plants that were getting watered.

I work the next 2 nights...will keep checking in...You are all so inspirational...I love this group!
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    7/21: 9.5 miles (6 mile jog, .5 mile walk, 3 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 139.25/140 miles

7/22: 0 (rest day)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 3.1 miles - 3.1
    7/2 14 miles - 17.1
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 9 miles - 26.1
    7/5 9 miles - 35.1
    7/5 6.2 miles - 41.3 << Daily Double
    7/6 6.2 miles - 47.5
    7/7 8.25 miles - 55.75
    7/7 5 miles - 60.75 << Daily Double, FF Pub Run
    7/8 13 miles - 73.75 << PPounders Swamp Run
    7/9 REST DAY
    7/10 REST DAY
    7/11 9.25 miles - 83
    7/11 5 miles - 88 << Daily Double
    7/12 9 miles - 97
    7/12 4 miles - 101 << Daily Double
    7/13 6.2 miles - 107.2
    7/14 9 miles - 116.2
    7/15 REST DAY unplanned
    7/16 15 miles - 131.2
    7/16 6.2 miles - 137.4 << Daily Double w/ wife
    7/17 REST DAY
    7/18 9 miles - 146.4
    7/19 9 miles - 155.4
    7/20 6.3 miles - 161.7
    7/21 9 miles - 170.7
    7/21 6.2 miles - 176.9 << Daily Double
    7/22 6.2 miles - 183.1

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

@AdrianChr92 Thanks for the Sage Canaday video. I'm a big fan of us.
    @ceciliaslater Sorry about the battle with the weather. It happened a few times to me this summer. Go back a couple of weeks to my swamp run for starters. Yesterday's afternoon run wasn't very fun either. Way to get out there.
    @RespectTheKitty Just go for it. Get to bed early and just get up and go. Make sure you have your clothes set out the night before. Get some coffee in you if that's your thing.

To get my daily doubles in, I run both mornings and afternoon/early evenings. The morning runs are very much so more bearable. If I run in the afternoon, I make sure it is one of my more easier paced workouts.

Sorry to hear about the garmin @Marissaxzxzxz
    Great progress @TattooedDolphinGirl78
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @cljoe7 Skip is some weird teenager, her friends hate her because she wakes up, no matter what time, with a smile on her face and talking. She can stay up to midnight and be ready to go at 6:00. Actually makes me batty sometimes because my friends talk about this quiet time in the morning while their teens are asleep and I'm like what is this thing you call "quiet time"? :tongue: She is also afraid I'll leave to run without her, of course that's only because she wants me to buy her breakfast after we run.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @cljoe7 Skip is some weird teenager, her friends hate her because she wakes up, no matter what time, with a smile on her face and talking. She can stay up to midnight and be ready to go at 6:00. Actually makes me batty sometimes because my friends talk about this quiet time in the morning while their teens are asleep and I'm like what is this thing you call "quiet time"? :tongue: She is also afraid I'll leave to run without her, of course that's only because she wants me to buy her breakfast after we run.

It could be worse. I think you got a deal with Skip! I'm really envious.

I'd fall the kitten over if my daughter wanted to run and have breakfast with me! :smiley:
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Thank you!
    @RespectTheKitty - How early is early? I always do my runs in the morning on the weekend, but a lot of times that isn't until 10am. I'm a slow starter. ;) It's supposed to get to 79 this weekend which is nothing compared to some of you!
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Amazing progress - you look great!!

I had my first PT appointment today and the verdict is the typical "runner's knee" diagnosis. He said my muscles are tight and I have weak hips, which is apparently quite common in distance runners. He wants me to scale back my running to 3 days/week for the next few weeks to allow at least 1, preferably 2 days of rest between each run. That means that 50% of my weekly miles will be done on my weekend long runs, but hopefully this won't matter as it's only temporary.

I have a list of exercises to do and will continue cross training with barre class. In a few weeks we'll look at upping my mileage. Looks like I won't hit my 90 mile goal for July, but I'd rather take it slow so I can get back to it healthy and pain free. Thanks again for all the advice!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'd fall the kitten over if my daughter wanted to run and have breakfast with me! :smiley:

I totally know how lucky I am. :smile:
  • greenolivetree
    @Somebody_Loved I'm glad you have a plan of action for your knee recovery :)

@skippygirlsmom Our boy didn't sleep past 6am until 9th grade. Drove me nuts when he was little because he was so loud and talkative! Even this summer he hasn't slept past 7. Odd for a 16 year old boy!

@ereck44 That's awful hot for "cooler" :s Way to go running in that weather.
  • skippygirlsmom

@skippygirlsmom Our boy didn't sleep past 6am until 9th grade. Drove me nuts when he was little because he was so loud and talkative! Even this summer he hasn't slept past 7. Odd for a 16 year old boy!

Your boy needs to meet my girl.
  • greenolivetree

Your boy needs to meet my girl.

LOL! True. Between him and my husband (who always wakes up 2 minutes before his alarm) I finally just had to adapt. It's been about 7 years since I slept in past 7 :-D If my husband gets up, the dog gets up and then it's all over for sure :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

I'm doing The Oatmeal's "Beat the Blerch" Virtual HM on September 18.

http://www.beattheblerch.com/virtual.html

I think @shanaber is doing it too (or the meatspace one).

You can also do a 10K or a marathon.

I don't know if it supports any charity. I'm just doing it because I adore The Oatmeal (cartoon).

In particular:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

(If any runners haven't read that, they need to. Now.)

I actually signed up for this a while ago. I too adore The Oatmeal.
    Re: Beat the Blerch Half: I was soooo sad last year that I was running the Dogfish Head Dash in Delaware the same weekend as the Beat the Blerch Half in New Jersey. My only consolation was that it was a priority for this year. Little did I know that it would be changing cities. I am still devastated. I thought about doing the virtual race, but I'm really not a virtual race kind of person. I want cake, and blerchs, and couches, and, most of all, I want Matthew Inman! I suppose I can arrange for the first three things on my own - drag my couch outside my house, leave cake along my course for myself, and make someone with pillows strapped to themselves chase me or something, but I highly doubt Matt would come to middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania to run with me. :disappointed: I absolutely love that man and everything he does. I think I might need to travel for one next year. I would prefer to not let three years pass me by without participating.

@RespectTheKitty @instantmartian

I'm going to be running the HM alone, wearing the T-shirt and bib, and bringing sugary purple grape drink and many snacks, and while I'm in The Void, I'll be thinking of killer hornets, Krakens, Pegasus, lightning storms and rainbows.

I'm actually going to Seattle to run it with my daughter! She is running and training again (using Hal Higdon's training plan) now that she is finished with school and while she is studying for her board exams. The race is just a couple of weeks before she has to start her residency so it was perfect timing for us!
    We are both looking forward to all the Oatmeal's fun with Blerches chasing us and cake at the aid stations (not sure I will partake though)! Should be a blast :)

For those of you who have no idea what we are talking about or want to know about the races (actual and virtual) check out http://www.beattheblerch.com/
    You can also check out the Oatmeal's writing on running, which is hilarious, here http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running/

@shanaber So jealous you will be there in Seattle! :heart:

I'm looking forward to a very thorough recap from you! :smiley:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    July goal.....run

7/1 snorkel 4 hours
    7/2 7.53
    7/3 3.23
    7/4 3.29
    7/5 rest
    7/6 4.39
    7/7 3.25
    7/8 7.24
    7/9 celebrated our 40th anniversary!
    7/10 3.85
    7/11 tapering I guess...
    7/12 4.15
    7/13 off
    7/14 off
    7/15 3.20
    7/16 HonuNui and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    7/17 taper, Music Man, Thai food and friends
    7/18 13.2
    7/19 snorkel 4 hours
    7/20 unmotivated
    7/21 3.30 looked in mirror---got motivated
    7/22 4.3

Total 60.93

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer in August or September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    2 July – 5 km parkrun alongside my niece
    3 July – 10 km
    5 July – 10 km
    7 July – 10 km
    8 July – 5.6 km & Body Balance
    9 July – 13.6 km & 10 km PB
    11 July – 10 km
    15 July – 3.7 km
    16 July – 5.1 km parkrun
    18 July – 9.1 km
    20 July – 10 km
    23 July – 5.1 km parkrun

Today's at parkrun it was a special event celebrating "Woolly West Fest" which promotes wool in our region.

Parkrunners were encouraged to wear woollen active wear. I complied.

87BFA5E1-309A-4F54-89EF-4C543A013858_zpsdoigcfzl.jpg

1536D57B-337B-43E2-8D99-4C38C96F541C_zps3b8qttyp.jpg

There were some "sheep" at parkrun too.

9ADA6558-1E11-41A0-94D9-98CEF949046B_zpswjhsu0pl.jpg

I might have set a PB today except we were running the longer "Alternate Course" because we can't get over the lake spillway because of this:

098B07DF-A5F1-4780-8CC7-B8C7739A04AB_zps25jemxgb.jpg

(It's been a tiny bit wet lately. :wink: )
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    edited July 2016
    @Orphia - I am hoping it is cold there or at least cool! Can't imagine wearing wool in this heat. 10pm and well over 80F (29C)! Yeah probably not a good idea to try to run over that!
    Love your pictures!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

It is pretty amazing when they come around and really do want to be with you, running or otherwise!