WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Michelle - My FIL has dementia too but just not as progressed. He has good days and bad days. He sometimes gets mad at my MIL because she isn't talking and he just doesn't understand why. He was told that she is near the end and he seemed to understand at the time, but he probably didn't remember the conversation the next day. We were lucky to catch him on a good afternoon. He also gets his days and nights mixed up which is part of the dementia. When my brother in law and his wife stopped by earlier the same day, he was so sound asleep they could not wake him. He will sleep hard during the day and then be up and wandering around at night.

Linda/IA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ - wrote "Janetr, glad things are going well with DGS. Great picture of the family. I was trying to figure out which one was the dad and which was the son. Your DSIL looks so young. In fact your daughter also looks too young to have a child that old"

SHE WAS only 16 when she found out she was expecting, she turned 17 before he was born. I used to tell her I was old enough (43) to be a grandmother but she wasn't old enough to be a mother. She gets that all the time, people think he's her boyfriend. He says ewwwwwwww. Lol. That's exactly why I pointed out who is who. Of course her husband is step dad but adopted him years ago. His birth father was killed in a car accident when DGS was very young, he never knew him.

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I'm sorry Kirby's brother is an ice-cube. Kirby deserves better. He is so lucky to have you. :heart:

Larissa: I like the red dress. It looks good and so do you. :flowerforyou:

Janet: Wow! You have transformed yourself. :star:

RE in TX: Great insights! You are right that taking a little time to lose the weight is not a problem. In fact, it is the best way to get healthy in my opinion. :bigsmile:

Michele: I agree with you about Joyce and Pip. They're heroines in my book, too. :star: Thank you so much for your kind sympathy about the riding lesson. I'll get a riding lesson next week, and although I didn't ride this week, I did get a lesson on foot care. I felt his hooves and all of them were much warmer than I'd ever felt them before. It was easy to realize that something wasn't as it should be. :noway:

Rori: Thank you so much for sharing the picture of you and Sue. :bigsmile:

Today I went to the store for a few things and went for a walk with a friend. The weather outside is gorgeous, but breezy and cool enough to warrant a windbreaker or jacket. I also got out the sewing machine and turned under the bottom edge on the pant-legs of my old jeans/new cutoffs. I haven't had a pair of cutoffs at least three decades, or worn any pair of shorts in years. For a long time I was chubby enough that shorts of any sort were not an attractive choice. A person can get the notion that they are too old for a lot of things, but it isn't always true. :noway:

Tomorrow is the Fourth of July. Happy Independence Day! :star::star::star::star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Barbie - I'm glad you and Jake are home and can relax. Thanks for sharing your story.

Lilymay- beautiful grandchildren!

Larissa- you look great in the red dress!

Pip- sorry about Kirby! Family is not always loving or even kind.

Chris - congratulations on staying so close to your goal weight. With all the changes in your life you are doing great! Nice that you are making exercise a priority like Heather said the extra calories are nice to have. I agree that you can probably feel secure in your relationship to suggest other drink options or just nurse the wine is also good.

Katla - Yea! Shorts- show off your sexy legs!

Rori- great picture of you and Sue!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Rori - Lovely photo. It's great to meet up isn't it. :D
    I'm afraid I don't get much stinky cheese right now. I dare not have it in the house. On the cruise I had such a great choice and the waiter knew exactly what I wanted every night. He would cut me a tiny slice of the stinkiest ones and give me celery to have with it. Fabulous!

I am off to Portsmouth in half an hour to have lunch with my friend. <3

Heather
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday/ Happy Fourth!
    Rori and Sue- Yea! So happy two more of our group have been able to meet IRL!! You both look wonderful!
    Larisa- You look gorgeous! Healthy and Strong! And I LOVE the color of your hair!
    Pip- Most days, when I am thinking about family, I end up just sighing and shaking my head. Most of them I don't understand why they do the things they do. My DH and I just had a small church wedding, sibs and parents only. A lot of people were upset with us, but we didn't even plan a reception or anything. I was expecting, and we didn't want to spend the extra money...
    Janet- You look wonderful! It is so nice that the bypass surgery has worked for you. My neighbors (both the husband and the wife) had GP surgery last year. They look great, but I worry about them because they don't exercise and they have told me that they eat mainly protein bars...:( That can't be good.
    Heather-A visit to the local Cheese Lady shop is my reward I have set up for when I hit Onederland! Like you, I love my cheeses and if it is in my house, I will eat like crazy. I like my cheese with celery or green apple slices.

The weekend has been lovely! I have managed to get some bike rides in and some walks with my dh. I feel like I can't really count those walks with hubby because we are moving SO slowly, due to his RA. But I am glad he wants to get out and walk. We are kind of concerned with his eyesight. It seems one of the side effects for the RA meds he is taking is blurry vision. We are going to check in with his doc, but does any one here have any experience with this? Can glasses help this? We were literally steps away from bunnies and other little critters and he couldn't see them. So disappointed!
    OH! But my weekend has been great! LOL! I managed to get everything done that needed to get done. I was lazier than I planned for a couple days, due to the fact that I grabbed a book from the library and hunkered down each day and devoured that! It was the latest "Girl" book. The Girl In The Spider's Web. It came out a year or more ago, but I haven't had time to read it. I really think Lisbeth Salander is my favorite literary character.
    Going to venture into the downtown area tonight to watch the fireworks. We don't go all of the way down to the waterfront, however. We figured out that if we climb into the dunes that over look the channel, we can see and hear everything and we are pretty much alone. Shhhhhh! It's our secret!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :):)Rori and Sue, You look great in your picture. I am so envious of your meeting---so close to me and yet so far away...glad it was a fun meeting.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Happy 4th of July to my American friends and Happy Monday to my friends from other countries. I'm going to get up and exercise then off to town to watch the parade, attend the fish fry, eat watermelon, look at classic cars and watch the fireworks!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th to all!

Kim, DJ, and Linda,
    I so appreciate your comments and support. Kim, I'll measure myself in 2-3 weeks. I just did a couple of weeks ago, so I'm afraid if I do it now it won't show anything. But I don't think it's my imagination that my favorite capris are a tad looser. And, for the first time in over a year I walked almost four miles yesterday!!! Without pain!!! True, I felt it later, but that will pass.

KJLaMore -- walking slow counts. It may not raise your heart rate, but it still counts as activity.

KarenE
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    p6ay3muc9xqr.jpg
    This is for Becca!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    It's 10:15am and I'm the only one up. Everyone else is sleeping in today so I'm just taking a pause and reflecting. Today's my 54th birthday. I've been with MFP 1069 days and almost as many days with this group. I started heavier than I am today and have had some ups and downs with the weight. Still have quite a ways to go. The constant has been the direct and indirect support of this group. Thank you so much ladies! Have a great 4th of July!

Beth near Buffalo
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Janetr, thank you for sharing your before and after pictures. You look so great, happy and healthy. I know it’s not been easy and I’m so happy for you.

Re, I love to make soup in my large pot because that is the one thing I love to have a couple of servings of in my freezer. It’s so easy to take out, put in a pan and heat slowly to thaw. Instant meal.

Barbie, I hope Brandy’s leg improves quickly. We all hate it when our fur babies are hurt or sick.

Larissa, I don’t get why you keep talking about your tiny head? I think it looks just the right size. I don’t think of mine as being overly large for my body but it has always been hard for me to find hats that aren’t too tight.

Linda, I think a 15 mile bike ride is incredible!!! No one should compare to Pip because she is just super human, not to mention I think she is really only 32 years old. Just don’t tell her that I told you. dont-tell-smiley-emoticon.gif

Rori and Sue, what a wonderful picture of two beautiful ladies. So glad ya’ll got to meet and yet I admit I’m jealous.

Katla, congrats on the cut offs. I too actually wore a pair of shorts (that came down to my knees) out in public for the first time in decades. Isn’t life grand?

Beth, happy-birthday.gif I didn’t know you were such a child! I guess I just need to realize that there are only a few of us around my age in this group. I hope you have a marvelous day!!!!

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday as DH and I walked around the flea market for two hours in the sweltering heat it was bringing me joy that I can get out and do the walking. I would not have been able to before I lost weight. The added mobility has been life altering for me. Before the loss, all that extra weight (60 pounds) put so much pressure on my low back that normally about 20 minutes was my limit at walking. Oh yes and I forgot to tell you that I passed up the funnel cake stand that was calling my name!!! Yeah me. And for all you youngens that are here, I was 67 when I started this journey. I still have a ways to go but I’m just enjoying life and not stressing about it.
    I do hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a safe holiday. …6624.gif

t9305.gif[statue-of-liberty.gif

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY to all the Americans. Have a safe and happy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Beth Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Beth! Hope it's a great one!

mjk6powvf4eb.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

i don't know if there were invites or anything, kirby said there were 70 people that were invited, so if it "wasn't a big deal" why did they invite 70 people.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Beth!!!!!!!!!! <3
    And Happy 4th July to the rest of you across the pond. B)
    I had a lovely fishy lunch with my friend, under an umbrella. Perfect. And some pink wine. :DB)
    Home now. DH is doing stir fry pork and veg for dinner. <3
    Love Heather
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout A

Squats- 1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP- 1 X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 80