WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of Butt Lift DVD, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec, the did Cathe Muscle Max DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gin Miller's Simply Step DVD.

Rori - you and Sue look absolutely wonderful! Thanks for posting that pic. How I wish I was there but so glad the two of you got together.

DJ - when we lived in PA (who has pretty strict fireworks laws, kind of like NC), the people who had the absolute best fireworks (nothing like you get in PA) were the cop next door to us and the sheriff up the street. You should have seen their display! As far as the "no driving", I think in one sense Vince learned a few things. When this whole episode started, he was constantly saying "I'm going to show mom how you have to consolidate trips". I just smiled. I think he learned that I do and always did consolidate trips, it just didn't seem that way to him. How I don't like to wait until the last minute to do things! He does. I think he might have learned why it really isn't a good idea to wait until the last minute, but he still does. I've learned how he hates to do things early and that bugged me. So many times I would say "that's why I like to get it done earlier". Today is supposed to be cloudy, I think I'll suggest that he go in the pool and use the asorbic acid on the swiffer. Sometimes he just doesn't plan. I know that he doesn't like to be out in the sun so today will be a good day. We shall see how it goes. Update: it got sunny so I didn't even suggest it. He did grill the flank steak, tho

KL - when Vince and I got married, we invited friends of his parents to the wedding/reception. they'd been friends for years and years. At the reception I went one way and Vince went the other way to go to the tables and thank people for coming. Do you know that the wife got so upset that we both didn't come to thank her that she didn't talk to us for around 30 years, she died not speaking to us. Her husband had no problem at all, he would come see us when we went to visit Vince's parents in FL -- but not her.

Had something different for lunch today. The one and only time I had a sandwich on a lettuce rib, it didn't quite fit. Perhaps there was too much filling. So today I tried having tuna with mayo on a lettuce rib. It was pretty good

jmmbrooks - you're among friends now!

Joyce - I love when I get good crispy gala apples. I like Fugi but sometimes they can be so juicy.

Didn't do much today. It's pretty warm out, now I'm sorry I didn't go in the pool. Tomorrow I go to the MD about my ear and then at night we have Mexican Train. I'm just going to take some cherries with me since I'm not sure when we'll be getting back. Since my appt is at 10:40 (but you never know if the MD is going to be on time or not) Vince figures we'll probably get home around 1. Well, I'm going to take some food with me just in case we stop somewhere for lunch. Vince can have McD or whatever, I'll have my food. Actually, I think it's better. I have veggies, fruit, dried peas, V-8 to drink.

If Vince isn't going to eat the ice cream that he bought for himself, I'm going to return it to the store. I want the room in my freezer!!!

Re - don't worry, I have so much to drink. Yesterday when I was working on the weeds, I was only out for about 2 hours, I had 48oz (I usually take a 24oz bottle out with me). And now I'm into my keep-Coppertone-in-business mode. Vince constantly says "do you know what you're doing to our filters with all that sunscreen" to which I usually reply "I'd rather pay for new filters than have to go thru chemo from skin cancer". I know that sunscreen isn't a guarantee that I'll never get skin cancer, but I'm sure going to do all I can to try to minimize my possibility.

Melanie - HIIT (high intensity interval training) IS a lot for an hour. I can usually do an hour depending on how long I use for the recovery. I've been trying doing 30 sec of sprinting and 30 seconds of recovery. Usually I ony do 1/2 hr of that and I'm sweating. I haven't really done it since the Y I go to I usually go early in the day and I wouldn't ask Vince to drive me early in the day. But in 30 days I can start again......can't wait. I usually do my HIIT on an elliptical, don't know that my knees could handle a treadmill. I do have a workout that is 20-40-60 where you basically run for 20 seconds, walk briskly for 30 ( I usually do that at 4mph), and then recover for 60 (I usually do that at 3.5mph)

Cheri - lovely pic! Is that a Pittsburgh Stealers doormat? Is that even legal in Texas?????

Alison - so happy you had such a good time at the wedding.

Mia - so good to have you back.

Michele in NC
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    KJ – I must live in a cave. I did not even know that someone had written a fourth “girl” book. I loved the trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I have added it to my reading list.

Beth HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

DJ – Congrats on passing by that funnel cake! That is an NSV for sure.

Melanie – HIIT or high intensity interval training is pretty popular these days. We have an Orange Theory that just opened in our town as well. The idea is that you alternate short periods of intense activity (where you get your heart rate going pretty high) with less-intense recovery periods. They are designed to improve your cardiovascular health and will burn a lot of calories. I don’t know about the Orange Theory sessions, but most HIIT sessions are not designed for building strength so I would still try to incorporate some strength training a couple of times a week. Good luck! Let us know how this works for you.

Mia – Welcome back! I’m sorry to hear about the complication with your surgery but happy that you are feeling better now and cleared to exercise – yea!

Went to our town’s local parade this morning, then to a friend’s barbeque this afternoon, then a nice little nap at the pool. It is very cool her for the 4th of July – low 70s – but that made it nice to be outside. We will probably skip the fireworks tonight because I’ve got to get back into my workout routine and get back to work, so that means the alarm rings at 5:45AM. Fireworks don’t start until 10PM and that means I wouldn’t get to bed until at least 11PM and I don’t work well on less than 7 hours of sleep.

Talk to you later,

Linda in IA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    I'm finally back! Thanks for the emails asking how I was doing. Had lower body lift on May 12. All was going really well until week 5. My left leg swelled, turned red and warm to the touch. Naturally this happened on a Friday. By the time the doctor got back to me a hole had opened in my stitched/glued area and lymphatic fluid was leaking out at a pretty good rate. Doctor ordered an antibiotic and told me to elevate the leg as much as possible. After about a week of serious leakage the flow slowed down. Two weeks later and I now have a very small hole which is working on closing up. As far as complications go I feel lucky. No serious infection and I am now well on the road to healing. On Thursday I got permission to start back up with exercise. Woo Hoo!!!!

20 lbs of excess skin and fat were removed. I am now literally half the woman I used to be.

I never thought I would be so thrilled to be "overweight". That's what my BMI now says and I am good with that.

I've been gone so long I am just going to jump in and not even try to catch up with what has happened since April. Feel free to fill me in on anything you feel I've missed out on.

Mia in MI

Oh Mia, I am so sorry for what you have gone thru but so VERY thrilled at how happy you are with it all done now and feeling better. How wonderful and it is truly a whole new you. Way to go!!!!!

I am so glad you are back and we know now that you are okay. I've missed you and thot of you often :).

Janetr OKC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Thank You for all the birthday wishes! I had a nice day. Didn't do too badly in the eating until my family brought out a Dairy Queen ice cream cake! SMH!

Mia ... Welcome back!

Miriam ... You were a beautiful young girl! I was built similarly at that age and also told I was "fat" by my model-shaped mother. Very hurtful I know. I'd give anything to be that "fat" again! :smiley:

Chris ... Congrats on winning the rental war!

Have a good night!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Miriam/Beth - As a young girl I was also "sturdy" as my mother called it, she never really sad I was fat. But she allowed my sister a year older than me, and thin, to call me "fat man" most of our growing up years. It does hurt and I wonder now why my mom allowed it.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think fireworks are finally over for the evening. Yikes, I am so tired of them. I'm sure our town of about 115,000 people must have spent $500,000 on fireworks this year. And that's just the neighborhood fireworks. I have no idea what went on downtown at the official fireworks. But they started on Friday evening so it's 4 days straight and our city ordinance says they can do it again tomorrow night.

JOyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy Fourth of July! :star::star::star::star:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lisa Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures. You are a lovely lady!! I really love the third one where you are just beaming. Makes me smile even though I am barely awake this morning.

Beth Happy belated birthday! Hope it was a firecracker!

Mia Hi! Glad you are recovering and lower body lift will ultimately be a success. Tough to go through the complications, though.

Janetr OKC I wish your mother hadn't allowed name calling and labeling either. My sister was 5'6" and weighed 105. She was popular and had boyfriends. One year she got 3 boxes of chocolates on Valentine's Day. She had perfect posture and long hair that was a brown honey color. She got straight A's and was teacher's pet always. She rode horses like a champ, won 4-H ribbons all the time. She was president of this and that club. When she would water ski she skimmed the water so gracefully. I did not want to be like her...I wanted to BE her. When she was in her late teens/early 20's she developed something akin to schizoaffective disorder and was possessed by mental health demons until she finally took her own life at 49. Despite all the off-putting behaviors and mental health issues, she had hundreds of people at her memorial service, which took 3 hours, during which people talked about her love of horses and line dancing, that she was really like Dresden china but wanted to be a sturdy ceramic, about her amazing writing ability, her loyalty to friends, and even her old (now married) boyfriends from high school talked about how they had pined after her. It was pretty amazing. She and I were not alike. My mother sewed for us, and would always fret over my weird big asymmetrical hips and sometimes would say, "I always forget about those hips!" as she was fitting something. That was the absolute meanest thing that anybody was allowed to say to me and it came out of my own mother's mouth. It made me feel bad, but she didn't mean it that way at all. It just reminded me of my sister's slim hips, which I wanted and would never have. My mom never knew how much I hated my body and wanted a body like my sister's until years & years later. When my mom finally understood that I had a food obsession which started after a serious illness when I was 21 months of age, she was so sad and apologetic...she said she wished she had realized it when I was a kid, because maybe she could have helped me more. She was my best friend and I miss her so much.

Ok I think that's enough for today.

Love you all.

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    wow wonderful to have a full nights sleep..im up and have Toms lunch set,trying to figure out dinner and take a shower ,I go to work at 9 ...
    We had a great time ,but back to reality
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Mia- welcome back! I'm glad you are on the way to a full recovery.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) Among us we could probably write a book of stories of what our mothers said. My mother told people "Barbie has two grandmothers with big rear ends and she inherited both of them." My sister and I took ballet from a stern teacher who kept time by tapping his cane on the wood floor and would sometimes tap my behind and tell me to hold it in because it was sticking out so far you could stand a flower pot on it.

:)Mia, I'm glad you're back and sorry to hear about all the complications after your surgery. You did a courageous thing and I'm happy that it is finally working well for you.

:)Lisa, I've heard your story before but I loved hearing it again.

:) Jake continues to improve bit by bit...his digestive woes seem to have righted themselves with the help of some meds and fresh fruit and other healthy eating. He continues to resist the pain med that was prescribed and I gave him my stern lecture last night and he seems to have slept well. I just found the paper that said that he should have clean sheets every other day and a clean towel for every shower, so my work list just increased.

:'( Brandy's leg is still hurting but that didn't keep her from wanting to chase birds yesterday afternoon. Jake will call the vet when they open this morning and I'll take her in when they are available to see her.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Cheri - lovely pic! Is that a Pittsburgh Stealers doormat? Is that even legal in Texas?????
    Michele in NC

I didn't even notice that fact. The current renters are from PA. A really nice young couple were moving out as we were signing the lease. I wonder if my husband should put out his NY Giants doormat?!

Cheri
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ Thanks for sharing the pics! You looked absolutely stunning in 2008 and in 2012 you looked so serene and lovely as if life has been good.

To all of you who have had moms/relatives who have said things that made you feel bad about yourself...I think most of us have had occasions like that. My mom would call be "backward" all the time because I was very shy and she pushed me to be popular (which I wasn't). She constantly made comments about my physical appearance that made me feel very self-conscious and have stayed with me until this day. Now, she tells me how pretty I am and that is strange (perhaps it is her dementia talking).

We had a very quiet 4th. Cooked a steak for my BnL who was married to my DH's sister. His wife passed away in her 30's and he has never remarried. No fireworks for us!

Carol

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it's back to work I go...
    Linda- I had forgotten there was a fourth book, until I got to the library and saw it displayed as a "librarian pick". Stieg Larsson died a couple of years ago, but like many, he used a team of writers and one of them came up with this most recent book. They left off with unresolved issues, so I imagine there will be a fifth! So excited!
    Beth- Happy belated birthday!
    Mia- So great to hear from you! I have been wondering where you were! Glad to hear that your doing better; soon you will be up and around and pushing us all to keep up!
    Pip- So sorry to hear about the wedding stuff. I always consider myself to be part of a close family, but I know my brothers do not normally "call" to give news. I know they would jump in if my kids needed their help, but it is usually me that is making the phone calls and checking in on everyone. My brother had heart valve replacement surgery and never told a soul!
    Anne- Good to see you posting! How have you been?

Didn't end up going to see fireworks last night. :/ DH got off schedule with his meds this weekend and ended up paying the price yesterday (which meant I ALSO paid the price dealing with Mr. Crabs)
    So...I got up early this morning and got in a swim! A walk planned for today with the kiddos, and a bike ride tonight if I can fit it in after going to watch my DYS's baseball team play. (He coaches for a summer rec team of teen boys).
    Kids just arrived. Gotta get busy. Love and hugs to all!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Mornin' y'all
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I took the dog over to the city 4th of July celebration for a while. He did okay in his Thundercoat and got lots of attention. Later in the evening I watched the fireworks from my deck. They were shot off from a different location than years past, and the giant American flag flying from the courthouse was in the exact center of my view with fireworks behind it. One of the buildings in our development intruded into the view a bit, but it was okay. I'd like it if they go back to the traditional location on an island in the river next year. We'll see what happens. :star::heart: :star:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Gin Miller Classic Step DVD. Boy, either I'm out of shape or it's really humid, I was sweating so much. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water aerobics class.

Lisa - yes, you don't look good in the second picture of yourself. But you look fantastic in the third and the last pics. You should be proud

Had breakfast, filled my water bottles for tomorrow, getting ready to leave for W-S. At this point I'm not real concerned because I know that the MD is just going to make his recommendation. I guess I'm afraid the recommendation will be surgery. But then again...it'll be better than going on as I am.

barbie - you DO NOT have a big rear end. Not at all. If you had a big rear end, there's no way you would be able to get into such small jeans

Cheri - is a NY Giants doormat legal? Remember, this is Texas...lol I know that when we lived in Kennett Square, a guy was transferred from Asheville to become the executive director of our Y. He brought with him a panthers jersey and put it up. That didn't stay up very long at all! That's BIG Eagles country.

Will be leaving in a few for the MD, so I'll post this

Michele in NC
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of Miracle Morning ~ Day 2 of Affirmations, Exercise, Visualization, Meditation, and Journaling. I'm taking a 30 day challenge - 30 days of waking up at 5am to get an extra hour of productivity into my life. This way my day is ahead of me, exercise is done, and I already have a good attitude at 6am. If you've never checked it out - Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod, short book packed full of personal development.