WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    patceoh wrote: »
    I use Safari........never use the app,if I can help it. Sold my computer last yr,but have been on ipad since it first came out.Pat

That probably explains it. There must be a bug in the app. I'm wondering if Premium members show up differently. This will drive me crazy, and it's not even important. Sheesh!

I feel fine today. Feel like I can do anything I want, but Dave won't let me. He yelled at me for loading the dishwasher and taking clothes out of the washer. He mowed all the grass himself. Granted, I haven't messed with my bandage or tried to take a shower. They told me to wait 24 hours. I figure since I'm not getting sweaty, I'll give it until Saturday morning. I did take Tylenol PM last night, but I don't think I really needed it. I'm going to see if I can skip it tonight. I'm wearing a very soft sports bra, too. If I forget and accidentally touch my boob, it hurts, but otherwise no pain. My one accomplishment of the day was to Kon Mari my jewelry. I have tons of stuff to donate or give to friends. My mother and my cousin are going to go through it to see if they want anything. The rest will be donated to the thrift store for domestic violence in. My neighborhood.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Re – Good NSV! Me, too, I don’t know how I’d fare with being famous, so many are prisoners in their own homes to keep your children away from t constant cameras.

Janetr okc – Have you talked to your MDs about whether a ‘sleep apnea’ testing would help find out if you are stopping breathing during the night; or have you ever been told that you ‘snore’. Snoring is a sign of ‘sleep apnea’; but, if for whatever reason you are not getting enough oxygen in, whether it is position or whatever … a ‘sleep study’ might be something they’d do to find out if that could be the problem. When they tested me … I snored the entire night; I stopped breathing about 300 times some for as long as a ‘minutes’, others almost like ‘hyperventilating’. Then connect you up like an EEG and EKG so get readings from various parts of your body. It would not hurt to ask.

Anne from Wisconsin – At trying to read 484 posts; you’ll never catch up; you’d be best to just go back 3 or 4 pages and read from that point. Of read from 3 or 4 pages back and when you have extra time, go back and read them. You know what date you left off, so that is a good starting point; but, doing it prior to posting … things will be ‘old news’ by the time you post to it. But, that is just what I have found in the past when I have not been online for several days in the community.

Michel in NC – Why are you on a ‘driving restriction’? I’m on one because of having a ‘seizure’ on May 12th … I’m so looking forward to November 13th. LOL! Praying harder that I don’t have another seizure, too.
    Boiled eggs are a great source of ‘protein’ and good for a ‘snack’. I don’t think they are very high in calories either.

Chris in MA – Happy Birthday! Looks like a nice group of ladies.

Joyce – My MnL was so picky about her Handicap sticker/hangs on the rearview mirror. If I drove, I had to let her out and then park wherever; she did not want me to drive and park in the handicap slot, because she did not drive; when I tried to take it from her car to mine and drive my car she’d have a ‘conniption fit’ about my parking in the slot. I did not see anything wrong with it, since she was with me. She was afraid that people wouldn’t ‘think’ she was ‘handicapped’. She had RA so bad that she could not walk very far or for very long. I kept telling her that there are a lot of people who have ‘unseen’ handicaps. She just would not hear of it.
    At the grocery store a few months ago, a lady pulled into a ‘handicapped’ slot; no sticker hanging from her mirror and no handicapped tag. She got out and no obvious handicaps; so this woman blocked her from being able to back out and called the police on her. Boy, to have been a ‘fly on the wall’ when she returned to her car with this ‘woman full of road rage’. I might have put a less than polite note on the car under her windshield; but, I don’t think I would have called the police.

We’ve had HOT, HOT, HOT weather here in SW GA; thunder bumpers and flash rains that come up suddenly. I had thought about getting in the pool; but, I wasn’t in the house long when DH came home, scaring me to death; then he had not been home long when he had to stop mowing the grass because of the rain and thunder. Now, he’ll have to mow on Saturday and maybe Sunday. He was hoping not to have to do that.

Drkatiebug – MFP looks totally different on my Smart Phone (Android); so I rarely use it, too frustrating to try to figure out what it is doing.

DH is fast asleep; and, it is only 5:20pm. This is going to be a 'long night'. I'm about to finish cooking supper; ground meat patties, and I am trying the 'smashed' potatoes (said they're fried; but, they aren't. Got some pink and purple potatoes. Should be interesting.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    afternoon ladies~
    well a long day at work, but stopped on the way home to check on DFIL.. his room mate stays hanging with the guys upstairs, but ol Otto is the rooster in the hen house.. and he is quite pleased with himself... i have to say the last 24 hrs seemed to be great so far...lets keep our hopes up,it stays that way.. gonna make a grocery list and grocery shop ,sometime before sunday afternoon before the wedding
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Happy dance it is Friday and I have the weekend off. It is only to get to 79 today and right now it is raining. I am working 6-6 today. I was off yesterday and when I got here this moring I had 8 messages from the girl I am having problems with about dumb things she knows. I am taking a lot of deep breaths and counting my lucky stars I do not have to see or talk to her until next Tuesday.

Yesterday was a good day. Got some things done at home and last evening we went to York to have supper with our DGD. She is our son that passed away daughter and she was on her way back home to Iowa after finishing a intership with a theather in AK. She just finished her first year of college. Had a nice time.

DH's younger sister is having heart bypass surgery today in Lincoln. She has a lot of health issues and concerned so waiting for them to call and let us know how is goes. We are planning to go down on Sunday. Keeping her in our prayers.

NYKaren--Sending prayers and hugs.

Joyce--Great news from Charlie's doctor.

Heather--The flowers are beautiful.

KJL--Thanks for the tip, but think I will pass. LOL

Katiebug--Glad you got the cyst taken out and listen to what they tell you, it is only 2 weeks. Hugs

Chris--great pictures and Happy Birthday!

Linda--Good to see you back.

Well I am caught up and time to get something finished before time to go home. Have a good evening ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    :( Praying for the people of Nice, France and Istanbul, Turkey and all countries in that 'hot spot'.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    DH & I just had a delighful lunch with Rori! She was in the Portland area for work and we managed to find a time to get together. It was wonderful and I hope to see her again when she's working in the Portland area. :heart:
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi ladies!

I've been MIA for a long time. All is well, though! Four generations were gathered at the family home in New Hampshire. At one point, we had complete sets of siblings in three of those generations, all under one roof - something that hasn't happened in years! With as many as 16 people in the house, just handling the basics of cooking, eating and cleaning up took a substantial amount of time, even though at least half of us contributed to the cooking and cleanup. (Everybody helped with the eating, of course.) It's been fun, but it meant I haven't had time to read or comment here. I've missed y'all!

Pip and DrKatie and Re and Lenora and Michele and Cheri and Becca and many others have written about being out of touch with family members - or even at loggerheads with them. At the end of her visit this summer, my aunt (my mother's sister-in-law, not related by blood) came up to me and said "Y'know, your family isn't a bit like mine. We could never stand each other." I'm so glad not to have any experience of that kind of sorrow.

Still on the family theme, Anne from WI I confess I've had trouble understanding what you're going through, as it's so far removed from anything in my own experience. But on my trip home I read a book that described a woman's feelings and thought processes as her marriage broke up. It was definitely an eye opener. As I read, I frequently connected back to things you have written here, and I finally understood. :heart: Unfortunately, the book (Det är något som inte stämmer, by Martina Haag) is only available in Swedish.

Mary - You're in a walk 1000 miles challenge. What's the timeframe on that? Oh, I see, one year. When did you start? My daughter has set herself the goal of running 3000 kilometers in a year and is at 2,901 km with half of this month left to go. I had decided to emulate her and run 1500 km in the year beginning July 1. Since that's almost a thousand miles, maybe I'll up it to 1609.4 km (i.e. 1000 miles). You're such an inspiration! ;) (So is my daughter, but she's even farther outside of my league.)

Barbie - I have a more encouraging contribution for your collection of what our mothers said to us. When I was in my late 40s and started to go gray my mother told me "You're going to LOVE your gray hairs." That sure put a positive spin on it!

Heather - Glad to read that your son's housing is settled. Given all the turmoil in the UK lately, it wouldn't have been strange if someone along the chain got cold feet. Sorry you've been down in the dumps. Heaven knows the nightly news has provided plenty of concrete reasons for feeling depressed. Still, I can see how some of yours might be related to not having "done your job". The activities you describe remind me of the "busy work" I throw myself into when I'm procrastinating. Good for you for cranking up the pre-Cambrian laptop and breaking the ice. As you say, it's a start!

On another topic, I may be reading in more that you actually wrote, but if your DH voluntarily mentioned a cruise to Iceland, I draw two conclusions: 1) he found that going on a cruise wasn't awful after all, and 2) he may have contracted the benign but essentially incurable disease we call polar fever, which can only be relieved by placing oneself within sight of tundras, glaciers, and ice floes. Iceland is just what the doctor would order. (Ooops! I just got your PM, so I see my first conclusion was correct, but not necessarily the second.)

Yay for the gardening job, Kim!

Rosie (meaning RoRoRosie, not Rosie in So Cal) - It has already been said, but I'll repeat: Don't leave! Politics and religion are technically off-limits in this forum. It's just that recent events have been so traumatic that the most spontaneous among us have spilled a few beans. Under normal circumstances, spontaneity is one of the strengths of our thread... that people actually comment on what others have written.

paba40 - Welcome! What new career? Which ocean, and which sides are you and your family on? :flowerforyou: I'm asking as a person who just crossed the Atlantic, west to east, after visiting family back in "the old country".

Rita - :confused: If you enjoy walking around your neighborhood, and feel safe, why stop? Do you have to do as your husband says? :noway:
    CJ wrote: I was notified last week that a grant has come through, but budget cuts. No administration included. Travel only.
    Congratulations and commiserations. How in the world do granting agencies think? It irks me no end that they expect all kinds of reporting and financial follow-up, but won't pay the administrators – the people who do that work. After years in academia, I've concluded that one of the most useful, most highly appreciated grants would be the one specifically aimed at covering the cost of the administration nobody else will pay for!
    Joyce in Indiana wrote: Speaking of pills, any idea what to do with pills you don't take anymore.
    I see you've had several responses to this question already. Police stations! How interesting! I would have advised you to return them to the pharmacy/drug store where you got them for proper destruction, because that's how it is done here in Scandinavia. The main reason for not flushing pharmaceuticals down the toilet is that many of them pass straight through sewage treatment plants, get into the waterways and cause all kinds of problems, from antibiotic resistance to hormonal disturbances. In some places, people whose drinking water is taken from farther downstream can be affected.

Allie - I hope you're following through on the good start you made placing more of the burden of moving your father-in-law on Tom's shoulders, where it belongs!

I've spent a lot of today reading up in this thread to see what I've missed. I'm only on page 32 but I simply must stop now and go to bed. Getting over jetlag after flying east is tough enough, but when you've still got midnight sun at the destination, there are no outer signals to tell you to go to bed. The sun is shining, and my inner clock says it's 6:45 pm. In fact, tomorrow is already 45 minutes old. I'll post what I've got and try for more tomorrow er, um, later today...

/Penny, back in the High Arctic, where I belong :relaxed:
  • pipcd34
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Hello Slimming Sisters;

Not much happening around here... Had my mid year review today. My boss is so funny. He can't give everybody the best ratings so he apologizes every time... of course it's nice that he seems to like me, so I will not be the first in line the next time the layoffs happen. That's all we can ask for, these days.

It's Friday, so I am working from home in my shorts and a sports bra - way more comfy that sitting at my desk in the freezing cold office. All I have done, today, besides work, is put my Stew in the crockpot. Smells divine.

Of course, I failed to get out of bed early enough to make it to the gym this morning... so, I either have to suck it up and make sure I stay under goal - or get up and hit the gym after I am done. I still haven't decided which way to go. I never eat all my exercise calories - but sometimes I do eat a few - as many as 50 to 100 of them.

It's nice to have the cushion, in case I lose my mind and decide I NEED some M&M's or something. For me, a "cheat" day is when I eat more than 150 of my exercise calories... I am happy to say that doesn't happen but every two or three weeks. However, I do routinely eat up to 100 of those... and I like having them handy.

I suppose I will have to drag on my clothes and go to the gym... since I have no excuse. Dinner is in the crockpot and will be ready whenever we choose to eat it... so, it's not like I have to cook or anything. *sigh*

Just feeling lazy today. I suppose it's because I didn't make it to the gym... :smiley:

I will chat with you Ladies, tomorrow.

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hi Ladies: DH's car failed the emission test so we had to take it in today to get it up to specs. Now it can be licensed for another year. I think part of his problem with the cataract surgery is he expected a lot of improvement and he is diabetic which has caused glaucoma. He has lost some vision especially in the left eye so even without the cataracts his vision will never be what it was. I think he just doesn't want to admit that. I went to water exercise today and will probably do some mowing this evening.

Re - Thanks for letting me join in. I am needing a little extra motivation just now. And this is good for me, yesterday I turned down candy and today donuts! I was thinking about that challenge.

Mia - Good luck on finding another job. I would not stay to train a replacement if I had another job opportunity. Let them solve the problems they are creating.

Michele - I have some beautiful (live) snails I could send you but they are yellow and black not red, white and blue.

Allie - Hope DFIL continues to settle in well.

Chris - Happy birthday!!Lovely pictures but I agree we need one of the boy friend.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    17,000 steps
    176 minutes of dog walking
    taught the line dance class
    more laundry

• pipcd34
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.13min, 13.8amph, 133mhr, 2.5mi = 74c
    SPIN- 48min, 100r, 46w, 5-7sp, 125mhr, 9.3mi = 259c
    ride gym 2 wk- 55.25min, 11.9amph, 140mhr, 11mi = 391c
    ride round parking lot- 18.57min, 10.5amph, 112mhr, 3.3mi = 91c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.39min, 7.4amph, 140mhr, 2.5mi = 168c
    total cal 983
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Did 50 min Bosu Reactive Strength DVD. I did think it would be more cardio, but it seemed to be mostly weights. But that's OK. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gilad's Body in Motion 30th Anniversary DVD (I've heard so much about it) and Ellen Barretts Stretch Sculpt. We'll see what that's like

NYKaren - let me know what you're going to do for your hubby. I'd like to do something for Vince for all his driving me all over God's half acre (19 more days!)

janetr - that's fine. I probably made the mistake. I was just so pooped last night. That weed cutting really takes a lot out of me, probably has to do with the heat. But I'm determined to get it done.

Talked to Vince last night, told him that I'd like for the Cooperative Extension office to burn the weeds on top of the dirt pile (god I don't want them to grow any more) and then use the dirt on that pile to 1) make the slope at the front of the property where the power lines are much more gradual so he can use the tractor (plus, if I ever have to use the tractor, I'm going to be petrified to go down that slope) and 2) then to even out the dirt in the backyard. It's so uneven due to erosion. I really don't want to bring up the fact that we had the entire backyard seeded and fertilized right after we had the pool built. I lived in an apt growing up so I don't know the first thing about taking care of a lawn (but I'm learning). Vince said that we needed to rake up the straw. Really, we shouldn't have done that, we should have let the straw just decompose. We didn't reseed which is what we should have done. I didn't know this, but I do now. I also want to put in new bushes in the front. I was so so emphatic to the guy who did the landscaping that I wanted a bush that bloomed early in the season, and he gave bushes that don't bloom. I also want us to extend the drain pipes in the front. Vince is concerned about the cost. To me, sell things. But let's get that done.

Charleen - can you put that chocolate cake in a container that you can't see thru? That's what I did with some icing that I made. Now, I won't say that I never sampled it. On one hand, I did need to see how long it would stay in the refrig. I was never so glad to use it up. Vince said to me about the cake that I put it on "this could use more frosting". But I wasn't about to make another batch. I'll probably make some because I'll make a cake for the pool social and then use the rest for a cake to send to Pete since I know his birthday is in late Septemember. I just want to get to know Pete, we don't know a thing about Dianna. Heck, in three years she has never once tried to even contact me. Maybe you can put something in front of that box? That's one thing I did with that container of frosting. Do children come to your neighborhood events? It's been a long time since our neighborhood did something like that. I'd like to do something maybe in March, we certainly have the room. But with the pool, I really don't want small children. Where there's a will, there's a way. I know from personal experience. And we don't want kids in the pool. There are lots of micro breweries around here, but I never have any. Guess my non-desire for beer stems from the fact that my father owned a tavern and I was constantly exposed to beer growing up.

Chris - love your dress. what wonderful friends you have! Happy birthday. what a cake!

ketoneKaren - lovely pics. Something I would never have thought of

We HAVE to go to Aldi today. I hope Vince wants to go early because after we get home I want to work on those weeds. If I finish early enough, I'd like to go in the pool. Wish he'd get up already. I would have gone already.

I've been putting a SMALL piece of that stitch witchery stuff under the tags in shirts so they won't sitck up. Did that to some shirts that I have. Also sorted the laundry that I did yesterday.

Wonder why a few posts were in such tiny print? then it went back to normal. Unfortunately, KetoneKaren's post got cut off on my computer.

Yea! It sounds like Vince is awake

debbierichard - so sorry to hear about your hubby's heart problem.

Tessa - welcome! Tell us more about yourself.

I must be getting old. Got up from the computer to give the cats their "treats" and I thought to myself "what else can I do while I'm here". So I put away the iron (after having to redo with the stitch witchery one of the tags). put up the board. How sad that I had to think that way

I mentioned to Vince that I'd like to go to Aldi's, cut the weeds and then go in the pool. I know yesterday he kept saying how I needed to go in the pool so maybe that's why he's willing to go to Aldi's early.

Linda - Low Carb -- does that mean you're limiting your fruits and veges?

KJ - good for you bringing a veggie tray. That's my "go to" many times when I need to provide something. Have a good trip

Well, when Bryan called he asked me to tell him days next week when we can skype. I did once I got home. Still no word from him as to what would be a good day and I'm thinking that I probably won't hear from him

Lenora - remember back in Feb. I had a seizure? I suspect it might have been brought on by the stress of being "ambushed" by Bryan's "therapist" and seeing and hearing from him for the first time in years. They put me on Lamictal. So far, my body hasn't had any reaction to it. If I stay OK for a year, the MD will consider trying to lower, and eventually eliminate, my phenobarbitol. A friend of mine uses her husband's handicapped sticker even when he isn't with her. That I don't agree with. Maybe she should walk a little

Katla - isn't Rori such a neat person? Glad you had such a good lunch.

Re - I like the "slimming sisters". I used to refer to everyone as my "vitamin F's" (friends). Not sure why I stopped

Sue in WA - thanks for your offer of the snails, but I think I'll stick with the ceramic ones. Just can't quite figure out yet if the body should be lighter blue on top or darker blue and lighter blue on bottom

Exercised, then we went to Aldi's. I know Vince likes to do everything at one time, but I only have so much room in my freezer. Plus, then I can't see what I have and sometimes I wind up buying things that I really didn't need. Well, this should be over in 19 days. He opened the freezer in the laundry room and said "I see things in here I wouldn't eat". Well, there are things in there that *I* wouldn't eat like Cool whip and ice cream and pizza. I tried to explain to him that I also need to leave room in the freezer for the ice, etc. for the social

Then went and cut weeds for 3 hours. Didn't get as much accomplished as I thought I would. I told Vince that I wanted to go in the pool, so he was saying how I should finish up. I really didn't and just forgo the pool because I didn't realize that I started so late.

Called the guy who has the good corn at the market. We're supposed to meet him, he'll sell me what he has. He said he doesn't have enough to go to market. so glad I called him. then want to go to the farmer's market and look for beets and anything else that happens to catch my eye. Then want to go to Hamrick's. they have Avia sneakers on sale and I have a coupon for 20% off for tomorrow. Hope they have some in my size.

Michele in NC
    who still needs to rest up from today. My shorts, literally, look like I peed in my pants, they are so wet from sweat. And talk about my shirt!
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Chris – Love the pictures. You look so happy!

JanetR – Sounds like your ex wants to repair some relationships, so I hope that your daughters’ visit turns out to be a nice one.

Debbie – Sorry to hear about your DH’s prognosis, but as Barbie said the best news is that his heart is still pumping.

As so many others here, my heart aches with the news of another terrorist attack. It seems that we hear of a new violent attack every week now. It feels like I should do something, but I have no idea what that is.

On the sleep discussion, I take Melatonin and that seems to work well for me except that it’s been so hot this summer that I still seem to toss and turn.

Glad the weekend is upon us. No big plans which is nice.

Linda/IA looking forward to a quiet weekend
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Michele wrote "janetr - that's fine. I probably made the mistake. I was just so pooped last night. That weed cutting really takes a lot out of me, probably has to do with the heat. But I'm determined to get it done."

Oh sweetie, do be careful and don't over do in that heat. It can cause such serious problems. I know you want to get them done but not at the expense of your health. I think Vince either needs to help more or pay someone to cut them down. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    So tired of heat. And it's only begun to be hot season... well REAL hot season.

Marcelyn in Houston
    who installed a sprinkler system today, bum shoulder and all.
  • pipcd34
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    It hasn't been the best of days for us. Christina is coming tomorrow afternoon and the leaving Monday afternoon. we are having birthday for the soon to be 15 year old. Am still having trouble with Charlie's bag. Night before last we put on the one that has always lasted about 5 days. We have to cut some of the adhesive around his belly button or it wouldn't stay that long. I guess we didn't do a good job in making that little cut to fit in his belly button because it looks like it is just holding on. The barrier is still holding so that his poo isn't leaking out but the adhesive isn't holding.

When we got up today he told me that he didn't sleep well at all last night due to pain, gas and no output through his ostomy. Uh ho! So we called the doctor's office and she told him how to lay on his bed, position his legs and roll. That didn't work. So off to the ER we went. It was fairly empty and it didn't take long to get seen. They did a bunch of labs, a CT Scan of abdomen and a pain med. Good thing is that he did not have a bowel obstruction (where is Sylvia) but he does have an enlarged and inflamed gall bladder. It isn't inflamed enough to come out. I am glad we had an appointment next week to see our PCP. He still is pretty well refusing to eat anything until he has some kind of movement through his ostomy yet he isn't putting anything in his belly in order to do anything. It's going to be a difficult weekend. Both of us are real tired. They do not make emergency rooms for visitors although there were two chairs.

I take Melatonin. I have taken Valerian root and Wild Lettuce leaf for sleep and both work well. Problem with Benadryl is that you have to keep on increasing the dose.

My brother in law also used his wife's handicap sticker. He knows how I feel about it but he says since his car has a handicap license plate he is allowed to park in a handicap space. So I asked him how he would feel if some one did that all the time and took the last space and my sis had no space to park. He didn't have a comment to that. He likes the handicap spaces for the same reason my husband does, they are bigger and your car is more protected.

Joyce, Indiana