WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota – Baby girls are so cute and small. But, they’ll grow quickly. It’ll be fun to watch their interaction with one another. My 1st best friends were a set of twins. They ‘’thought’ they were identical; but, while they looked alike; one had blond hair the other had brown. I could always tell them apart; my Mother as well as their Mother could also. I’d get sort of ‘bent out of shape’ because I did not ‘think’ they were identical to one another. Nelle had blond hair; Betty had brown hair; so I would tell people that. They were ‘dressed identically’ for quite a few years until Betty wanted to stop it; but, Nelle would wait until she got all dressed for school and then go in and pick out the same thing. Then it was too late for Betty to change. Nelle was pretty sickly, so quite often Betty came over without her to play. Nelle is still quite allergic to most everything. By the time we were in HS, the differences between them were very noticeable. Their Mother who was my Mother’s BF was as big around as she was tall in her 9th month. They would cut strings at her ‘baby shower’ to see who got the closest to her girth. Hope y'all get into the habit of calling them by their names and 'not referring to them always as "the twins".
    I think most of us are intrigued by multiple births any way; but, they like to here their names, too.

Becca – I love the Sparkling ICE drinks; I usually buy the ‘lemonade’ mostly. For a while they were 10 for $10; now they only sell them 5 for $5; when I got 10 of them at a time; I’d buy 1 or 2 of the same flavor. Same difference; but, sometimes I just don’t have the ‘extra’ money to buy that other ½ (5). Some I like better than others. Never thought about putting them in the freezer for a while; but, then I would probably forget them. But, our refrigerator is set pretty low anyway.
    Klondike Bars come in 100 calorie bars; and, not much difference in taste, if any. So that is what I get when I want a little chocolate with ice cream.

Heather – How about spray sunscreen? Actually, I like Bullfrog; and put it on 30 minutes before going out. That’s when I have a 2nd person to put it on; and, it stays on.

Lenora
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    kabwe777 wrote: »
    Anybody have any quick protein suggestions? Cooking for me only so no big recipes needed

I take a 32 oz bottle - left over from some sport water - pour a stiff cup of coffee in and follow with a Premier Protein chocolate shake. I call it a protein shake Latte... do whatever you would normally do to your coffee, first - and it's really quite a yummy way to get a lot of protein - 30 grams - with only 4 grams of carbohydrate...
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Sweet Senoras!

Fridays are lovely... working in my shorts and sports bra, again. I don't get up early for the gym on Fridays - but DH and I will go after work. He is really getting into the whole exercise thing, too... and he has even lost a few pounds, so he is pumped about it.

I am super busy today, with work, so no time to reply to everyone - but, I do hope you are all having the most fabulous day and that your weekend is all you could hope for!

Hugs for everyone!

Re in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well we are home from the hospital. Charlie ate a good lunch and so far it hasn't bothered him. He wants me to get him a big cheeseburger from Denny's tonight. I vetoed that and told him I am fixing chicken tenderloins on the George Foreman. He asked if I had honey mustard dressing and was OK with me fixing that since I had the dressing. The cat was overjoyed to have him home. We have let his ileostomy bag alone while in hospital since he wasn't eating much and wasn't wearing slacks and belt that pull on the bag. But that bag was like 7 days old and so I changed it. His aide was going to go into nursing and watched me change it and was enthralled by it. I offered for her to touch it but she wouldn't. But she was thrilled to be able to watch it and wondered how a spouse can do that. His skin underneath the bag finally looks wonderful.

Got to go to Sams to pick up pain medicine and new medicine for me.

Joyce, in hot and very humid Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Also bought beach/swim shoes for the pebble beach in Brighton. I want to at least go paddling. A bit too cold for me to swim. But you never know! We might have a long heat wave. :*

Heather
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Joyce how great DH is home and skin looks healed! Hooray! Hope he follows your good food choices and preparation and takes it easy. I will bet there are some diet restrictions,yes??

You need to take care of you, don't forget, but so glad he is home on the road to healing.
    NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Love all of you. I feel so fortunate to have found such fine women. Thank you for taking me into the fold so unconditionally 3 months ago.

I am feeling sad about the news from Munich; will post more tomorrow.

:'(:'(:'( for Munich

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia - What happened in Munich; is this another tragedy? Have not had TV on news.

Kabwe77 – Boiled eggs and peanut butter; but, not necessarily together; a small piece of meat; I get a package of chicken thighs and wrap them individually and sometimes cook them as a snack. I use protein bars and shakes a lot. Quick meals; meat, canned peas (washed and clean water back in them – takes the extra salt out of them), and tomatoes since they are ‘in season’. I also use ground beef in patties, pork chops, and prepared hamburger steaks. Cheese and any dairy. I’m sure others have some ideas, too.
    I like the berry, vanilla, and latte shakes; pouring them into a cup so I can see what I am drinking, makes me sip them and therefore fills me up; rather than sucking them through a straw. I also have a protein bar with my nightly coffee (if I can wake my DH to make it). He comes home ‘pooped out’ after painting houses all day in the sun. We both eat our ‘big’ meal during the day; and, no matter where I go for lunch or supper; I cut everything in ½ and bring it home and eat it the next day.

Joyce – I would have vetoed the burger from Denny’s, too … grease would make it come right through him. That might not have been too good. But, after a week in the hospital, eating hospital food; I’d probably be craving a good old burger myself.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies! Happy Friday!

I love the ideas for the extra protein. I've been pondering that myself. I am not much of a cook, so struggle with coming up with new ideas for dinner. If I get bored with eating the same ol', same ol', I tend to start grabbing Twinkies.

Hoping to get some activity in today. I've been really bad. How does one make it a habit to do something every day when it is something they have never really liked? I struggle with that one...

My son picked up and bought the Saturn Vue from me today. The smile on his face was worth a million bucks! I am pretty happy with the Chrysler 300 but I am happier that my son now has reliable transportation to pick up his boys on weekends from his ex. She moved out of town, about 3 hours away, and it has been a struggle for him to find ways to see them. The first thing he did when he got the car was call her and set up a schedule. He is picking them up already on Monday. Makes my heart feel so happy! <3 He has always been such a good father.

Well, just checking in. Still have to read pages 31 through 53 but I think that should be interesting light reading for the weekend, right?

Love to all!

Tracie in Green Bay
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one with kids still at home? My youngest has two more years of high school left before he heads off to university.

Mary congrats on the twin grand babies -- so sweet!!

Joyce . All the best on your husband's recovery. My DD had a colectomy at 15 and we had 6-7 weeks of bag changes before she had the re-section. I never really got good at it.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mary darling twins!

Janetr love the flower pics!

Heather great picture of you with Bea!

Lisa WTG with the paper!

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    Faith had dinner and out like a light, I will follow soon.. tired
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    mousemom welcome. My one and only DD is leaving the nest for college this fall. I got motivated to get healthy for keeps this time because I realized I didn't have the energy to keep up with her! Good thing I found MFP and this forum and have been on this journey for almost one year ! My MFP anniversary is at the end of July.

Traci "how does one get into the habit of doing something they don't like? Wellllllllll. Little steps, forgiveness, awareness, support, rinse repeat , rinse repeat. And as many people will say, keep logging, keep moving, keep making little choices. It's worth it! And I'll bet Barbie might mentioned a wonderful book by Gretchen Rubin, "Better than Before" which I haven't started yet, but it is on my night stand, all about the mastering of habits. It's worth it! NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Z
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    t112007.gif Last night, right after I finished signing my post with reference to sunny NW Washington, I heard thunder. I thought it must be someone else because it has been warm and sunny when I took the dogs out. It turned out to be very loud thunder, lightning, and pounding rain. The poodles who ignored the fireworks were very upset by the thunder and Jake, who had been sleeping in the guest room since his surgery, decided to sleep in our bed to comfort the dogs. It started to rain again in the morning when it was time for the long dog walk and both dogs refused to go out (maybe they didn't want to ruin their new haircuts) so I walked by myself and came home so wet that I peeled everything off and threw it in the washer.

:)Mary, the babies are darling

:)Joyce, how great that Charlie is home. I think that as long as you are in charge of the ostomy bag, you should also be in charge of what Charlie eats. As soon as he takes charge of his output then he can decide more about his input.

:)Becca, Jake's daughter and her family are on their way back to California and have chosen Astoria as their overnight stop tonight.

:)Traci, you asked about how to get in the habit of doing something every day that you don't like. I just read your profile about why you want to get healthier. Start by reading that and reminding yourself of your goals. It might make it easier to make those changes. Start small with something that feels possible like logging your food every day, then move on to adding activity.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN: It sounds so simple when you say it. Why does it feel so darn hard?

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat...I love that! I will remember that and say it to myself when I'm struggling. I will also look up that book right now while I'm online! <wink> Thanks!