Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Tam9271 wrote: »
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

>_> Pasta...weakness is strong with this one it is.

These are, however, the two most common clean eating 'rules' that get pointed as unreliable guidelines for basing a diet on.

"Can't pronounce it" : Many people are able to pronounce much of what's on a typical ingredients list very well. On the other hand there's a lot of people who couldn't pronounce quinoa to save their life.

"Shop the perimeter": most grocery stores near me have baked goods, deli meats, sausages, cheeses, and wine and beer on the perimeter. The aisles have frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, pasta, rice, and spices and seasonings. While cheese and beer and charcuterie are all wonderful things, they're pretty calorie dense and don't fit my day-to-day needs. The latter list helps me keep a varied, tasty, and easy to prepare diet that fits my goals.

If those rules are working for you, that's great. But they don't help someone understand how to maintain a consistent calorie deficit and meet their nutritional goals.

+1

Yes, some of my grocery stores are the same. Around the edges, one has the potato chip display first, then the bakery with delicious baked goods, then the deli, then the dairy ... and on the other side are all the pre-packaged meals, or boxed just-add-water meals. In the middle are the fresh fruit and veg.:smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    (Side note: anyone has smilies stuck in their reply box?)

Yes ... really weird.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

No. I eat plenty of whole foods and avoid artificial trans fats, but I do enjoy ice cream, beer, pastas and breads in moderation. I also use jarred pasta sauces, peanut butter, butter, Greek yogurt, protein powder and bars, creatine, and the occasional chocolate bar.

If it works for you that's great, but your body needs saturated fat, and watching my calories, and macro and micro nutrients works incredibly well for me. I'll stand out of the crowd to some degree here because I'll say there is nothing wrong with clean eating so long as you define it in a sensible way and understand that you still need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. If clean eating does that for you, and it's sustainable for you then use it. If you hit a wall or find yourself tied up in knots over whether you can enjoy an occasional treat then maybe step back and reasses.
  • Conskill
    Conskill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did it for years. It worked very well for me to get where I am at now. Since I've done most of the leg-work with my physique I can now be a more flexible with the foods I eat.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tam9271 wrote: »
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it.

What if you had a chemistry degree, or similar, and could pronounce the ingredients on a label?
    I know people in that exact situation. They try to avoid those products because a lot of packaged foods manufactured that way are not made with minimal (or close to minimal) ingredients.

• katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to follow the Tosco Reno version of "clean eating".
    I never got results until I started calorie counting. I also found that I had a tendancy of restricting - sometimes to the point where I wouldn't eat because I couldn't find anything to fit the definition of clean - would end up in me breaking down and overboard on "unclean" foods.
    I found that not restricting foods or deeming them "clean" or "dirty" went a long way in being able to stick with it. Counting calories helped me lose the weight finally.

Exactly this! Since trying clean eating and various cleanses I reached my highest weight a couple months ago. I'd be a social outcast for 3 weeks, drop 13 pounds and then binge endlessly on all the "bad" food. Personally, I couldn't sustain that way of eating. Good old fashioned moderation is what seems to work for me.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I bathe in peanut butter, is that clean?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    trinabot19 wrote: »
    Id say im eating clean as I cant imagine what eating dirty is like LOL!!!

It's like this (that's me on the left):

6jpnplkac2y5.jpg

:heart:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lala_wood wrote: »
    I've been doing paleo for 5 days now and I've lost 5.2 pounds....clean eating is working for me so far.

hate to burst your bubble, but most of that is water weight(in that short of time).eating in a deficit no matter how you eat will result in weight loss.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I gave up all processed foods for a few months. It didn't affect my weight but I felt better and had more endurance working out. I couldn't keep it up 100% though. Sometimes I need a cheap convenient snack when im out, or just want a scoop of ice cream. Now I try to mostly eat whole unprocessed foods but allow myself all things in moderation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

You have to say "added sugars" to avoid having people point out that fruit, veggies, and dairy all come with sugar ;)

I don't consider myself a clean eater per se, but for the most part I do eat like that, with the exception of not avoiding saturated fat. I do feel fuller and more energetic when I eat like that.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Clean eating?
    Well.....I certainly wash my fruits and veg.
    If I don't drop my icecream or oreos on the ground, then it's clean eating, right?
    I also eat before and after my showers.
    So, I do a bit of both.

I find this 'shopping the perimeter' at a supermarket quite funny since icecream. booze and processed meats are situated in the perimeter of most supermarkets here.