Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Mandygring wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

Meat isn't a whole food... I never just DIG IN to a deer or cow. The pieces I eat are literally called cuts :wink:

It has to go to a processor, even!

No, it can be processed at home. We dig right into the deer we kill. It is no less "whole" than peeling an orange or removing the hard shell of a nut.

True, but anything you buy commercially, even from a farm, must go to a processor (at least in my state), and most people aren't limiting themselves to home processed meat.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Is rum clean?

Maybe not ... but in one of my grocery stores it is located along the perimeter so you might be OK.

My grocery store has a special floor for the alcohol, so I guess that in the refrigerator (perimeter) is good, that not chilled is not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I define it as not eating anything I couldn't replicate at home. So I could make my own butter, but never margarine etc. People argue a lot about definitions on here but it's just semantics. The same as one person's 'healthy' eating could be completely different from someone else's.

You can make a lot of things at home, depending on how much effort you want to put in it.

And your point is?

The point is that that is a poor argument. You can make a good number of "processed foods" at home.
    Bread, cheese, pasta, all are processed foods, you can make all of those at home.
    Even junk food, chips, gummy bears, ice cream, whatever. You can make them if you care about it.

Number one its not an 'argument'. Number two who mentioned 'processed foods'? I said you cannot create margarine at home. You can make chips at home (slice potatoes, fry in lard). No you cannot replicate gummi Bears therefore I do not eat them. I make my own bread from my own starter. I'm not sure why your arguing with me about this as yes, I can replicate a lot of things at home. But I can't make Oreos in my kitchen from the listed ingredients so I don't eat them. It's actually a pretty standard definition of 'clean' eating even though you don't understand it.

You can create margarine at home quite easily. Probably not every one of the dozens of margarines available, but you can make it.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rsleighty wrote: »
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

What one ingredient things do you eat, other than maybe fruit?

Maybe I should have said "one ingredient ingredients ". Sounded too complicated

• Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.
    Yes, no dairy, fruit, sugar or grains. I ate 1lb of veggies, "clean" meats, "good" fats, low carb. I'll do it for a period of time as a metabolic reset. But it's not a constant lifestyle. I did that for 3 months and lost 30lbs. I didn't even cheat once, nor did I want to. I felt completely satiated!

no such thing as a metabolic reset. you cannot reset your metabolism.

So True Charlie.. switching up a diet or training routine is more of a jedi mind trick for your body...

• Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Generally yes, except I do include a lot of fats in my diet (whether, olive oil, coconut oil, or irish butter...I use those as a way to make absorbing the vitamins in the food easier [at least that's what I thought fats were for]). I find it easier to grab fruit than vegetables, so sometimes I'll buy frozen vegetables so I can just chuck on the stove. I dont really eat bread because of how uncomfortable I'll feel after eating it but I do like oatmeal (I think that's a whole grain).

Isn't it kind of hard these days to avoid sugar, preservatives and artificial ingredients? Even in "good" things, there are at least one or a combination of them in their ingredient list.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.

A lot of people I know do the semi homemade thing. My MIL is still determined to duplicate my fantastic chocolate chip cookies by doctoring a mix of some sort.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I really enjoy cooking from scratch but find it hard to fit in on busy week nights after working and running kids to any number of activities a. I hated that Sandra Lee show as I found her totally annoying especially her "tablescapes" but I liked the idea of it. I rely a lot on convenience foods to get dinner on the table but I still add my own seasoning or extra vegetables, so I guess I do some semi homemade cooking. It's funny though, when my husband and the kids say "thanks for cooking dinner mom" when I've thrown together some grilled chicken using a store bought marinade, a thing of ready rice, and some frozen vegetables, I always deflect and say "oh that's not really cooking" and my husband gets after me and says "you put dinner on the table, that's all that really matters". I always just chalked it up to my inability to take a compliment or just say "you're welcome" when someone thanks me for something I feel wasn't worthy of thanks...

When I really cook, I use cookbooks or recipes that have single ingredients too, but I just find the mention of this interesting as a measure of "clean eating", the same way I find priding oneself on ignorance of how to pronounce ingredients curious.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Is rum clean?

If you distill it! ;)
  • JaneSnowe
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Also paper products, etc. (not on the perimeter, this could be very bad).

Yes, this proved to be a problem for me when I shopped the perimeter of my grocery store as the toilet paper is dead center among all the filthy "inner aisle" foods and products (of course, I Lysol my entire body after exiting those aisles). Luckily, as a lifelong camper used to using "natural" toilet paper in an emergency (after a painful experience that led me to becoming an expert in identifying poison ivy), I discovered that lettuce is an excellent clean, biodegradable substitute for the filthy toilet paper that I can no longer access in the "dead zone." Iceberg is best, and doubles as a healthy snack if I get peckish while ensconced. Problem solved!

You should patent that idea. Lettuce wipes, biodegradable, eco-friendly, refreshing, and a low-cal snack! You could call it "Lettuce CUP" and finally turn that children's joke into something more grown up! You'd really make bank if you found a way to include claims that lettuce reduces colon cancer without getting sued. >:)

PS. I bet you could get Freelee to endorse it!
  • JaneSnowe
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would stay far far away from this then. It looks to be particularly dangerous. :s

100_2424.JPG

Ahh the evil baking soda... Used in rock quarries and grandmas chocolate chip cookies as well as that addictive KFC...

Now I can finally stop wondering what the Colonel's addictive chemical is!

• CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, the first time I joined! I lost a few lbs before I gave up because it was hard but I learned some really great "eat this not that" clean eating style recipes. Going to lose weight by eating normally this time, though.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't really understand what clean eating is. Is there a consensus or is it every eater for him/herself? I posted this question on another forum and have had no replies yet. I have friends who are vegan whole foodies, vegan friends who eat all of the analogs like tofurkey and tosausage and cheese analogs, ovopescatarians, paleo AIP adherents, South Beachers who eat whole grain breads...I just don't actually know what clean eating means...it sounds desirable, but I don't understand it really...

edited to correct typo
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what clean eating is. Is there a consensus or is it every eater for him/herself? I posted this question on another forum and have had no replies yet. I have friends who are vegan whole foodies, vegan friends who eat all of the analogs like tofurkey and tosausage and cheese analogs, ovopescatarians, paleo AIP adherents, South Beachers who eat whole grain breads...I just don't actually know what clean eating means...it sounds desirable, but I don't understand it really...

edited to correct typo

There's no consensus. Some posters will fight to the death that their understanding of the term is the right one, but it's been hotly debated here for ages: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Oh I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks purchased from schools, churches or charity organizations that are filled with recipes that include ingredients that are not single ingredient ingredients.

Casseroles that use frozen hashbrowns or corn flakes. Numerous recipes that call for Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, canned cream of <something> soup, or sausage. Desserts that use packaged cookies, cake mixes, pudding or Jell-O.