Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I'll do it for a period of time as a metabolic reset.

Ok I'll play along. What is a "metabolic reset"?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rsleighty wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

What one ingredient things do you eat, other than maybe fruit?

Maybe I should have said "one ingredient ingredients ". Sounded too complicated

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.

Oh I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks purchased from schools, churches or charity organizations that are filled with recipes that include ingredients that are not single ingredient ingredients.

Casseroles that use frozen hashbrowns or corn flakes. Numerous recipes that call for Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, canned cream of <something> soup, or sausage. Desserts that use packaged cookies, cake mixes, pudding or Jell-O.

I know such cookbooks exist--I love weird cookbooks and have a few Iowa church cookbook from the '20s or some such, as well as a cookbook based on food in books by James Joyce, LOL and a ton of other weird things--but they aren't the main common cookbooks, IME. The idea that you have to seek out "clean eating" cookbooks is odd.

I don't know what is meant by "main common cookbooks" but my point was that a lot of people cook with ingredients that aren't single ingredient ingredients and wouldn't normally be considered clean. Cookbooks such as those from churches and schools are compiled from recipes parents, members and students regularly make.

Bittman, Julia Child, stuff like that.

Those product-based recipes are typically from the back of the product, not a standard cookbook.

Maybe I'm naive, but most people I know primarily cook using whole ingredients, not Ritz crackers. They will also use convenience foods on occasion (or even regularly for lunch), sure, but I find it odd that some seem to think that normal cooking, cooking from whole foods, is something special and different that needs a self-congratulatory name. I just think of it as cooking.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Ritz crackers, boxed pudding mix, processed cheese, canned cream of something soups, etc. are very common ingredients in my neck of the woods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.

Oh I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks purchased from schools, churches or charity organizations that are filled with recipes that include ingredients that are not single ingredient ingredients.

Casseroles that use frozen hashbrowns or corn flakes. Numerous recipes that call for Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, canned cream of <something> soup, or sausage. Desserts that use packaged cookies, cake mixes, pudding or Jell-O.

I know such cookbooks exist--I love weird cookbooks and have a few Iowa church cookbook from the '20s or some such, as well as a cookbook based on food in books by James Joyce, LOL and a ton of other weird things--but they aren't the main common cookbooks, IME. The idea that you have to seek out "clean eating" cookbooks is odd.

I don't know what is meant by "main common cookbooks" but my point was that a lot of people cook with ingredients that aren't single ingredient ingredients and wouldn't normally be considered clean. Cookbooks such as those from churches and schools are compiled from recipes parents, members and students regularly make.

Those product-based recipes are typically from the back of the product, not a standard cookbook.

Maybe I'm naive, but most people I know primarily cook using whole ingredients, not Ritz crackers. They will also use convenience foods on occasion (or even regularly for lunch), sure, but I find it odd that some seem to think that normal cooking, cooking from whole foods, is something special and different that needs a self-congratulatory name. I just think of it as cooking.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Ritz crackers, boxed pudding mix, processed cheese, canned cream of something soups, etc. are very common ingredients in my neck of the woods.

Not where I am. They are considered retro. I was recently laughing with friends about the horrors of those cream of mushroom soup casseroles that used to show up everywhere when I was a kid. I'd be shocked if someone brought one to a potluck now (where I am, anyway). And I even go to church potlucks.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I wish church potlucks even existed here, they sound like a hoot. We have family potlucks, which are great, but the pool is too small. I want to sample a spread of whatever random offerings a bunch of total strangers think are reasonable for a public function. I'm not even joking. It's absolutely my idea of a good time.

The closest we ever came was the annual ceilidh* at my folks' church, which boasted a few gems, mainly involving vegetables in aspic. We felt like we had travelled back to the 50s, and we loved it. Tragically it suffered from declining interest and went to the wall this year. Our hearts are broken.

(*it's a kind of dance. And no, you are not allowed to eat it.)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Totally clean. No processed stuff. Like they say, when you read the ingredients. "If you can't read it, don't eat it".

63A10o7.png
    I think it's pretty clear that this is an extremely poor example of what the poster meant. Nobody picks up a banana at the store and sees the individual components listed as ingredients that were added to it.
  • 15REPS6SETS
    15REPS6SETS Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Clean eater here with Organic and non GMO foods. Including my protein supp.
    Great results, I feel good all the time and I am hardly sick.
    My recovery is so much quicker and with lots of energy and strength in work-outs.
    I find that lean muscle growth is slower though, so be warned. I think its due to growth hormones they put in foods today. I could be wrong. Theirs a lot of other factors that obviously effect muscle growth.
    One other note, I am able to tweak my macros and see results within a week by eating this way.
    It works for me, so I stick with it.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Totally clean. No processed stuff. Like they say, when you read the ingredients. "If you can't read it, don't eat it".

63A10o7.png
    I think it's pretty clear that this is an extremely poor example of what the poster meant. Nobody picks up a banana at the store and sees the individual components listed as ingredients that were added to it.

Exactly. Chemical makeup and ingredients aren't the same thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I wish church potlucks even existed here, they sound like a hoot. We have family potlucks, which are great, but the pool is too small. I want to sample a spread of whatever random offerings a bunch of total strangers think are reasonable for a public function. I'm not even joking. It's absolutely my idea of a good time.

The closest we ever came was the annual ceilidh* at my folks' church, which boasted a few gems, mainly involving vegetables in aspic. We felt like we had travelled back to the 50s, and we loved it. Tragically it suffered from declining interest and went to the wall this year. Our hearts are broken.

(*it's a kind of dance. And no, you are not allowed to eat it.)

Churches in my area still have potlucks regularly. And you are correct. They are a hoot.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For the most part, I eat clean. I quit eating processed foods completely at the beginning of this year. I don't eat raw though. But I cook everything I eat. It's all fresh or frozen veggies...steamed, baked, broiled or grilled.

I am also weaning myself off of the microwave. Hope to get that out by the end of this year.
  • 15REPS6SETS
    Options
    Natural whey Isolate supp - I am defining that as Natural- grass fed cows, that's clean to me people!
  • 15REPS6SETS
    Options
    Ok sorry - protein - not SUPP - gosh the critics are tough in here
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Speaking of that Ritz cracker thing ... there's a pie that is, apparently, made from Ritz crackers.

Evidently it is apple flavoured and I've heard you buy a pie shell, a package of the cheapest Ritz crackers (or look-alikes) that you can find, and the cheapest sugar laden apple beverage that you can find. You soak the Ritz crackers in the apple beverage, then plop the whole mess into the pie shell, and maybe add some more sugar and cinnamon and bake it.

It's supposed to taste just like apple pie ... without all the hassle of cutting up fresh apples.

Even though I've heard about this pie from several people, and I'm told it is a poor person's alternative to buying fresh produce, I can't get the word "WHY???" out of my head.

Oh yeah, that recipe used to be on every Ritz cracker box (maybe still is). I've never known anyone that actually made it though.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on that recipe lol :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I eat clean. I quit eating processed foods completely at the beginning of this year. I don't eat raw though. But I cook everything I eat. It's all fresh or frozen veggies...steamed, baked, broiled or grilled.

I am also weaning myself off of the microwave. Hope to get that out by the end of this year.

I don't understand. And I say that genuinely, I feel like people aren't communicating. Just looking at today and yesterday, how are bread products, jelly, and a WW's frozen meal not processed?

My breakfast was a vegetable omelet with feta cheese plus cottage cheese on the side, and IMO both the cheeses are obviously processed. Last night I had pasta with a homemade sauce. Again, the pasta is obviously processed, as is the olive oil I used.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I don't own a microwave myself but you make me curious what's the reason you want to avoid them?