Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tam9271 wrote: »
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

>_> Pasta...weakness is strong with this one it is.

I always find that such a weird thing to say. So... the greater the level of education, the more variety you can eat? People who have studied chemistry can eat far more things than someone who studied, say, arts? Does it mean you can't eat foreign food?

Yes, I wondered about foreign food. I have a bit of trouble getting the pronunciation of the Indian and Thai food I like just right. It would make me very sad if I couldn't eat that food until I learned to pronounce everything correctly.

Yup, I'm quite partial to Zagrebački odrezak, but apparently I can't eat it coz I can't read it off the menu.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I would stay far far away from this then. It looks to be particularly dangerous. :s

100_2424.JPG

Ahh the evil baking soda... Used in rock quarries and grandmas chocolate chip cookies as well as that addictive KFC...

Not baking soda ... but it does start with "baking" :)

Ah baking powder. I thought it was a nod to the "sodium bicarbonate is toxic" poster of yore...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

I always find that such a weird thing to say. So... the greater the level of education, the more variety you can eat? People who have studied chemistry can eat far more things than someone who studied, say, arts? Does it mean you can't eat foreign food?

It's like the "soup nazi", I guess; if you don't say and do the right things, it's "no soup for you!".
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Rumford-Aluminum-Free-Baking-Powder.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I define it as not eating anything I couldn't replicate at home. So I could make my own butter, but never margarine etc. People argue a lot about definitions on here but it's just semantics. The same as one person's 'healthy' eating could be completely different from someone else's.

You can make a lot of things at home, depending on how much effort you want to put in it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would stay far far away from this then. It looks to be particularly dangerous. :s

100_2424.JPG

Ahh the evil baking soda... Used in rock quarries and grandmas chocolate chip cookies as well as that addictive KFC...

Not baking soda ... but it does start with "baking" :)

Ah baking powder. I thought it was a nod to the "sodium bicarbonate is toxic" poster of yore...

It was, except I decided baking powder would be more fun since it has the evil baking soda in it as well as other evil unpronounceable ingredients.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

Thank goodness I've taken both classical Latin and Greek classes at university!! :grin:
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I define it as not eating anything I couldn't replicate at home. So I could make my own butter, but never margarine etc. People argue a lot about definitions on here but it's just semantics. The same as one person's 'healthy' eating could be completely different from someone else's.

You can make a lot of things at home, depending on how much effort you want to put in it.

And your point is?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Yes, I wondered about foreign food. I have a bit of trouble getting the pronunciation of the Indian and Thai food I like just right. It would make me very sad if I couldn't eat that food until I learned to pronounce everything correctly.

+1

By that rule for many north americans, if you can't roll your R's correctly put the burrito down and step away quietly. Have a taco instead. You might be permitted some guacamole.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call what I do eating clean.

I do however make most of our meals, eat whole foods, cook from scratch etc.

I eat what I want and I consider it healthy....including the cookies, cakes, squares, pie and jello shooters.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone has tried clean eating and saw results. I have been doing it for a while now and feel so much better.

Not really sure how you are defining clean eating, but my definition is whole natural foods and yes I have tried it. I found it pretty impossible to stick to all the time. But I still try to eat clean most of the time. I worry a lot less about all the additives and crap in commercial food when I know that it affects only a small percentage of my food.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options

And your point is?

The point is that that is a poor argument. You can make a good number of "processed foods" at home.
    Bread, cheese, pasta, all are processed foods, you can make all of those at home.
    Even junk food, chips, gummy bears, ice cream, whatever. You can make them if you care about it.

Number one its not an 'argument'. Number two who mentioned 'processed foods'? I said you cannot create margarine at home. You can make chips at home (slice potatoes, fry in lard). No you cannot replicate gummi Bears therefore I do not eat them. I make my own bread from my own starter. I'm not sure why your arguing with me about this as yes, I can replicate a lot of things at home. But I can't make Oreos in my kitchen from the listed ingredients so I don't eat them. It's actually a pretty standard definition of 'clean' eating even though you don't understand it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

Meat isn't a whole food... I never just DIG IN to a deer or cow. The pieces I eat are literally called cuts :wink:

It has to go to a processor, even!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

Meat isn't a whole food... I never just DIG IN to a deer or cow. The pieces I eat are literally called cuts :wink:

It has to go to a processor, even!

No, it can be processed at home. We dig right into the deer we kill. It is no less "whole" than peeling an orange or removing the hard shell of a nut.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can pronounce "quinoa", I just refuse to, as there is no way to pronounce it that does not make me sound like a pretentious hipster. However, I will happily eat it, provided I can order it without having to say it out loud, for fear I will spontaneously sprout a moustache and a penny farthing.

I see we're discussing "shopping the perimeter" again. I have thought about this again, as it was recommended in one of the mfp blogs, and have decided that I had better start following this valuable advice. Henceforward, my diet will consist of (in order of occurrence)-

Breakfast cereal
    Teabags
    Doughnuts
    Bread and Cake
    Peanut butter
    Ketchup
    Salad and soft fruit (bonus point!)
    Bacon, sausages and haggis
    More than five distinct varieties of hot dog
    Quiche
    Ravioli
    Those little peppers stuffed with cream cheese
    Small pots of e.g. tiramisu or cheesecake, but NOT the full sized ones in the adjacent aisle. God forbid! I know better than that now!
    Dairy
    Eggs
    Toilet rolls
    Soap
    And a wide and diverse range of alcohol.

At certain times of year I will be able to supplement this with compost, bedding plants and fireworks.

I expect rapid weight loss and all my ills to be swiftly cured.

OP, eating freshly made food, fruit and veg, quality ingredients, all sounds good, but I don't like the moral implication of "clean eating". It seems more like a religious idea than a health measure to me. I like to save moral judgements for things that are actually good or evil.

Couldn't agree more.

I also hate the shop the perimeter thing, not only because it doesn't actually work (as pointed out) -- in my case our fruits and veg aren't on the perimeter in my mainstream grocery, but the bakery and deli are -- but because it assumes people are really, really stupid and need simplistic infantile advice. If you think you should only buy dairy, meat, fish, and produce, great! (I don't agree, but so what). How hard is it to say "focus on dairy, meat, fish, and produce!"

With the exception of yogurt and cottage cheese, I don't buy any of that stuff from the grocery store in the summer. I get fish from a fish market, meat from a farm, and produce from my favorite green market. So that would make the grocery store useless. I use it for those nasty dirty processed staples like whole grains (oatmeal, barley), nuts and seeds, pasta, beans. Oh, and sure, ice cream! Also paper products, etc. (not on the perimeter, this could be very bad).