69225205.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Tam9271 wrote: »
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

>_> Pasta...weakness is strong with this one it is.

These are, however, the two most common clean eating 'rules' that get pointed as unreliable guidelines for basing a diet on.

"Can't pronounce it" : Many people are able to pronounce much of what's on a typical ingredients list very well. On the other hand there's a lot of people who couldn't pronounce quinoa to save their life.

"Shop the perimeter": most grocery stores near me have baked goods, deli meats, sausages, cheeses, and wine and beer on the perimeter. The aisles have frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, pasta, rice, and spices and seasonings. While cheese and beer and charcuterie are all wonderful things, they're pretty calorie dense and don't fit my day-to-day needs. The latter list helps me keep a varied, tasty, and easy to prepare diet that fits my goals.

If those rules are working for you, that's great. But they don't help someone understand how to maintain a consistent calorie deficit and meet their nutritional goals.

You're lucky. At least you get to eat cheese instead of cleaning supplies like in my case.

But the chemicals and unpronounceable words In them bottles! Careful now;)

Bleach is pretty easy to pronounce. Shouldn't be consumed, however.

A lot of people can't pronounce 'courgette' properly....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

These are, however, the two most common clean eating 'rules' that get pointed as unreliable guidelines for basing a diet on.

"Can't pronounce it" : Many people are able to pronounce much of what's on a typical ingredients list very well. On the other hand there's a lot of people who couldn't pronounce quinoa to save their life.

"Shop the perimeter": most grocery stores near me have baked goods, deli meats, sausages, cheeses, and wine and beer on the perimeter. The aisles have frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, pasta, rice, and spices and seasonings. While cheese and beer and charcuterie are all wonderful things, they're pretty calorie dense and don't fit my day-to-day needs. The latter list helps me keep a varied, tasty, and easy to prepare diet that fits my goals.

If those rules are working for you, that's great. But they don't help someone understand how to maintain a consistent calorie deficit and meet their nutritional goals.

You're lucky. At least you get to eat cheese instead of cleaning supplies like in my case.

But they're clean by definition! (Side note: anyone has smilies stuck in their reply box?)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

But they're clean by definition! (Side note: anyone has smilies stuck in their reply box?)

Yes!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Happens to me occasionally...oh look! It's happening right now!:neutral:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

How is spaghetti and meatballs "unclean"?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A nice write up and research review by Alan Aragon on the subject of clean eating.....

simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    (Side note: anyone has smilies stuck in their reply box?)

Yes :| Been like that for a while :s
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

That's why zucchini works

PS I have smilies stuck too. Creepy m8
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love smilies :p wooohooo
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

That's why zucchini works

PS I have smilies stuck too. Creepy m8

Bloody yanks! :laugh:
  • lala_wood
    lala_wood Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo for 5 days now and I've lost 5.2 pounds....clean eating is working for me so far.
  • optfitness
    optfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 80/20. It works for me. I don't binge eat anymore when eating too "clean". I like cake, pizza, and spaghetti every now and again. Everything in moderation :D
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The two posts by @SideSteel on this thread sum it up for me and are two of the best posts I've seen on MFP for a while.

Maximum kudos points awarded.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options

I get all sorts of bread, tinned tomatoes, soups, curry sauces and dried pasta, the whole meat isle, some veggies, dairy and alcohol on the perimeter. Not bad :smiley: I shop mostly on the perimeter, btw.

And about clean eating: Yes, I do wash my fruits and veggies before using them.:wink: