Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

So my lunch of stir-fried vegetables in olive oil with chicken and black beans would earn me a "clean" designation, but the frozen yogurt bar I just had wouldn't. OK. In your usage, or rather in the usage of the community which influenced you to claim this status, is "clean" a moral judgement?

Olive oil is heavily processed (fiber and nutrients removed and pure fat extracted), and I don't think any informed RD would recommend it as a staple in a diet focused around health.

How about Dietitians if Canada?
    http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Heart-Health/Healthy-Eating-Guidelines-to-Prevent-Heart-Disease.aspx

Or Ontario
    http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/Articles/Cooking/Food-Preparation/How-to-use-different-oils-when-cooking.aspx#.V3g1PvR6Wc0
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

So my lunch of stir-fried vegetables in olive oil with chicken and black beans would earn me a "clean" designation, but the frozen yogurt bar I just had wouldn't. OK. In your usage, or rather in the usage of the community which influenced you to claim this status, is "clean" a moral judgement?

Not even olive oil (one of the most widely accepted healthy oils....) would make the clean cut as it contains some saturated fat along with the majority of monounsaturated fat.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lol awesome guys. Thanks for all your responses, negative and positive.
  • trinabot19
    trinabot19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Id say im eating clean as I cant imagine what eating dirty is like LOL!!! nahh but really..Im just making healthier choices in general.. I dont want to be too restricted or i would probably fail haha :) CICO for me.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha 5 second rule is great! :D
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by "results." I ate raw for a few weeks just to see what it was like. I learned a lot about foods I don't normally eat, and it was very educational. Ditto for primal. Ditto for keto.

I didn't do these things in order to lose weight; I did them to educate myself about different ways of eating, my attitudes towards them, finding things that make me feel full, and to see what I was missing.

Doing this is very useful and interesting (to me!), but completely changing your eating habits -- including "eating clean" -- is totally unnecessary for weight loss.

Top notch attitude! I expect that there is a lot many of us could learn by trying a different eating system every now and then.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Nope

I do try to incorporate plenty of more nutritionally dense foods into my diet, but I do love me some good highly processed foods
  • Tam9271
    Tam9271 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

>_> Pasta...weakness is strong with this one it is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how you define that...

My diet is relatively "clean"...but it's not like I don't eat some processed foods and go out to eat and stuff like that. I just eat a well balanced and highly nutritious diet and don't sweat the small stuff because the small stuff is pretty irrelevant to the whole.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone has tried clean eating and saw results. I have been doing it for a while now and feel so much better.

I got into a routine of doing it and got amazing results, I've really slipped up with it recently. I felt and looked quite a bit better and had more energy