I have an (almost) obese brother & need advice!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if in the U.S there is always the new app on phones called pokemon go. it will get him up and moving and its based off cartoon/video games. its interactive so that may help with the activity part at least. not sure if at 11 he has a phone with data on it.(not all kids have a cell,although most do)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think for kids you should focus more on getting him active as opposed to automatically getting him on a diet. Play pokemon go with him or something
  • meanfacegainzz
    meanfacegainzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    What about a family movie night with healthy pizza, and watch something like "Supersize Me" on Netflix together, then discuss it.

Or there are active games such as Ingress or the new Pokemon Go that he may really enjoy, which would motivate him to get out and move so that he can advance in the game. Or a zombie chase app? If you can get him outside and have fun doing it, I think it'll help.

I like the idea of posting several ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks on the refrigerator. Having a planned menu makes life so much easier for everyone. Add one pack of crackers as a snack option, and make a note that you can only pick one type of snack each day (three snacks, but must be 3 different things).

I think your mom has to be more involved or it's not going to work when your classes start again.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Most doctors/nutritionists tell parents to make small changes in eating and increase physical activity for kids. For example, focus on eating at home for 6 months, cutting out juice for 6 months, or cutting down the amount of chips eaten a day for 6 months, after that change you make another one. This way kids won't sneak eat because they know they can still have the things that other kids do and the things they like to eat. Also, it seems like your parents need to step up and be parents.
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know this is a few days after you posted, but your story really struck me. Reading this was like going back in time eight years and looking at my interaction with my younger half-brother.

He sounds just like yours. He was the pickiest eater - plain corndogs, chicken nuggets, and french fries were the only thing he would tolerate. His mom is a health nut, but she couldn't control him and it irked her to no end. When he kept vomiting up the food she made him eat, she put her foot down and told him he needed to cook his own food. Guess what an 11-year-old can make? Frozen chicken nuggets, frozen corndogs, and frozen french fries. She tried to limit his Wii or Xbox 360 time, but he still managed to play games all day long. He was enrolled in a few extra-curricular activities - boy scouts, band, soccer - but he decided that he just didn't want to do them, and she just let him quit.

Like most kids, he did grow out of his picky eating, but his weight continued to rise even after he hit puberty and he grew to be 6'1". His max weight was 235. The doctor told him that he had pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, which occurs in overweight children. My stepmom freaked. My brother waved away their concerns and continued to gorge himself on fried food and cakes and candies. And you know what? I love that kid. He's basically my best friend, despite the 10 year age difference. He's sensitive, sweet, smart, and as stubborn as an ox. I was so worried about him losing weight, but nothing his mother or I ever said could convince him to change.

And he finally did lose weight! At the age of 19, after his girlfriend broke his heart, he lost 60 pounds in six months (so unhealthy!) So, I guess my advice is to let a girl break your brother's 11-year-old heart? Nothing I ever did could change it.
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if he has a smart phone, give him Pokemon Go. That'll solve the movement problem in no time.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You're story keeps changing. First he is hiding food, now it is just he under estimates...

I get that you want to come off as this amazing person and likely looking for praise for your efforts. However, you are coming across as a know it all who can do no wrong when it comes to your brother. Sorry for the harsh reality, but you may be doing serious emotional and physical damage to him. You NEED to understand that.

Seriously, stop. Her parents asked for her help. She's providing healthier alternatives for food he already likes. Shes not even restricting calories. She's not acting like a know it all, but trying to help us understand the day to day.

Maybe re-read the whole thread because in no way is she hurting him by cooking meals instead of her parents that happen to be less diabetic inducing. And guess what, he can like her food, and like snacks too. He can be cagey about what he eats, minimizing amounts, and also confide in her how he feels about being overweight. It doesn't make her a liar or a story changer. He probably does a little of everything. He's 11. I know when I have a moment of weakness, I don't want to necessarily proclaim it to the person that's hypothetically trying and working to help me. Doesn't mean she is damaging him. And it certainly doesn't mean he won't confide in her about true statements as well, like liking her food.

This poor girl keeps hearing the same thing over and over about it being non of her business and to get a dietician, and I'm over here like, did you even read the thread?

OP, keep kicking a**. I'm really impressed with how well you've done for yourself despite the lack of education provided to you when you were growing up. Well done!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    I have one question for everyone. A lot of parents choose to feed their children mostly healthy food, or don't let them have fast food more than once a year and they're called amazing parents. I want my brother to eat MOSTLY healthy food (as much as he needs to feel full) and not eat fast food unless it's necessary and apparently that's wrong? I'm sure he likes the fried food more but what's so wrong with swapping that with healthier options? He is a CHILD after all. Children don't know better and people who supervise them are supposed to make sure they are given what's good for them. I don't think I should give him anything and everything he wants just because he wants it. Now that's not to say that he can't have a serving of chips or a serving of this and that, but I just don't understand what's so bad about not giving a kid McDonald's twice a week just because he wants it. As adults, I'm sure all of you would love to have fast food for every meal but sometimes it's just not the better option. A child can't make those decisions for himself.

i didn't get fast food very often growing up, so i have been making up for it since i moved out of their house. If i was a parent, i would let my child have fast food but help him/her make the healthiest choices possible.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you mother to take him to the dietician - I am sure they can take personal tastes into account (maybe the other kid you heard of loves mushrooms - my 9yr old does and would happily have mushroom soup every day).

Also he may not be as picky as you think - sounds like he has taken to your new foods quite happily, so may be more open to trying others.

Good luck - I really think the key is getting your mother involved too though.