Unrealistic weight loss brags

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I missed that this was a herbalife post. My guess is that herbalife has an app writing all that obnoxious stuff. Ignore the posts, no one can sustain that expensive hobby anyway.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Seems to me the point isn't so much whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories but whether it's likely that the people OP was referring to actually are.

Yes and no. Most people are using some sort of fitness tracking app these days that are involved in a path to a healthier lifestyle. I would assume that's were they're getting those numbers from.

Heck most people don't know how many calories they're eating much less working off. Without some sort of tracking app. I'd challenge them to post a link to said workout to validate there claims.

I use my Garmin - I'm an average runner but am heavier so anything over about 12k burns that much easily. In fairness I do train for half marathons but I'm sloooooow. The Garmin is consistent with MFP numbers but it's set to my actual weight
  • lindastroud60
    lindastroud60 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe they had surgery.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    Morbid obesity and my diet is overseen by a nutritionist and endocrinologist. I am supposed to be eating 800 calories a day until I lose 70 pounds but I would rather keep eating 1200-1300 and lose at the rate I'm at until it falls off. I already have hair loss and muscle loss. It doesn't appear to be exacerbated by a calorie deficit.

There are some situations where the risks of rapid weight loss out-weight (sorry for the pun) the risk of losing weight at a slower pace.

If you're in that situation, you have no choice but to make the best of it.

If you're not, then I would suggest you reconsider your rate of loss.

The time you spend losing weight and what you learn about yourself during that time frame are extremely valuable and, in my opinion, more worthwhile than getting to goal weight a year or two earlier.

Reducing the risk of developing gallstones is also valuable.

I have no end date for when I would like to be at my goal weight. Not everyone who loses weight quickly is doing so in an unsupervised or unhealthy manner. I could have gone with the drastic and invasive gastric bypass.. that is in no way a healthy way of losing weight. I'm surprised I don't see more people commenting against those who choose that procedure.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    I have people on my MFP feed that claim that they burn 1,000 calories doing cardio. Whatever!

How do you know that's not true? When I do bench aerobics or Zumba for an hour my clothes are drenched and I'm breathing hard. I wasn't sure how to log it so looked at several sources. They all said the burn was around 800 cals. Since I walk to the gym (about 35 minutes each way) I include that in the cardio total, which comes in at about 1000. I only eat back half just in case.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have people on my MFP feed that claim that they burn 1,000 calories doing cardio. Whatever!

Most weeks I do 2+ hours of cardio at least twice per week. One hour in the morning and one hour in the evening.. usually burning 350-450 calories each exercise (from my chest strap HR monitor). 350*4= 1400
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh the MLM crew on facebook. My favorite is a friend from a mommy group who was hawking one of the many weight loss shake things (I have no idea what one given they are all hokum and I have no time for any of it) who started selling them like they'd changed her life...she was like 100lbs when she started selling them. I kept on keeping on but it made me laugh this woman who has always been twiggy acting like she'd done some My 600lb Life shiz because she lost a pound. Just tell your friends you want all their money already ;)
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Konigboy wrote: »
    Do any of you see people on your friends list on social media, like Facebook, talking about their weekly weight loss and want to call them out?

I have a few that started the last few months and they posted their first week weight loss, one being 17 lbs another 10 lbs. Great, begining diet flush. Both these individuals have about 40 - 50 lbs to loose. Now they both are posting they are loosing 2 - 3 lbs a day. Of course people are giving them high fives, but I see others posting how they have given up on dieting as it goes so slow. I have been on my journey for years and count my calories and exercise. No way in heck could I lose 2 - 3 lbs a day. One says the only thing different they do is use Thrive products, the other says they just cut out sweets and soda, no other diet changes or exercises. Of course based on pics, not seeing that drastic weight loss they are saying. Lol. I just worry of the false hope they give to others saying you can loose that much weight, so quickly. One even told me they would coach me to get to my goal, since it's taking me so long Lol

I wouldn't want to be barraged with this unhealthiness. I've hidden a few people in my MFP feed with really unhealthy relationships with CICO. My inner social worker wants to fix them, and I know this is inappropriate.

I have a MFP friend that is losing weight while pregnant!! I lost weight the first few months of my pregnancy but it wasn't intentional. As a matter of fact, I only gained 6 lbs total with my last pregnancy. I was concerned but my dr didn't seem to mind bc I was overweight anyway and was dealing with gestational diabetes. But this lady is already fairly thin according to her profile pic. I want to ask her if her losses are intentional or not but it's really none of my business
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If I posted on face book that I had burnt 1000 cals everyone would just assume the Sunday roast had gone up in flames again.

Cheers, h.

The best part of this thread was this reply. :D
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I actually wish I had more friends who liked working out. Heck I'd kill for a hiking partner.

Well, if you're ever in SoCal, let me know! :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Do any of you see people on your friends list on social media, like Facebook, talking about their weekly weight loss and want to call them out?

I have a few that started the last few months and they posted their first week weight loss, one being 17 lbs another 10 lbs. Great, begining diet flush. Both these individuals have about 40 - 50 lbs to loose. Now they both are posting they are loosing 2 - 3 lbs a day. Of course people are giving them high fives, but I see others posting how they have given up on dieting as it goes so slow. I have been on my journey for years and count my calories and exercise. No way in heck could I lose 2 - 3 lbs a day. One says the only thing different they do is use Thrive products, the other says they just cut out sweets and soda, no other diet changes or exercises. Of course based on pics, not seeing that drastic weight loss they are saying. Lol. I just worry of the false hope they give to others saying you can loose that much weight, so quickly. One even told me they would coach me to get to my goal, since it's taking me so long Lol

That would annoy me, too. I'd unfollow them. I've done that with one person, and they weren't even trying to sell something.

I've also seen a few too many threads in the MFP Success Stories forum where people are bragging about having lost like 100 lbs in 5 months, looking slim, and getting loads of encouragement.

No way they were morbidly obese to start with, which is the only case that would make that sort of loss rate appropriate.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    When I see such things I laugh because I know it is BS. I don't say anything bc why bother.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    People on my facebook list post about their vacation, cat pictures and about politics. No one is talking about weight loss at all.

^^This andthey talk about exercise on mine but then a few of my friends are avid runners, one does the ironman challenge and one is a fitness instructor so it is to be expected. The fitness instructor uses it to promote her classes.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

That would annoy me, too. I'd unfollow them. I've done that with one person, and they weren't even trying to sell something.

I've also seen a few too many threads in the MFP Success Stories forum where people are bragging about having lost like 100 lbs in 5 months, looking slim, and getting loads of encouragement.

No way they were morbidly obese to start with, which is the only case that would make that sort of loss rate appropriate.

I tend to avoid the success stories forum because of this. I did peek in there after reading your post and the first thread I opened was exactly what you described, 100 pound loss in a short amount of time with a very low calorie goal.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

I tend to avoid the success stories forum because of this. I did peek in there after reading your post and the first thread I opened was exactly what you described, 100 pound loss in a short amount of time with a very low calorie goal.

If I had to guess, I'd say they were weight loss surgery patients. Big losses in short amounts of times, low calorie goals (usually physician supervised).
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Actually, it IS extremely difficult to do, unless you are extremely overweight and/or tall (and even then you'd have to be hauling @$$ HARD) or unless you are a professional-level athlete. It's not impossible, but it's KILLER, and you'd have to be at it for at least an hour of REALLY hard, vigorous working out. So I tend to take those claims with a bit of suspicion, unless the claimer has the HRM data to back it up.

To burn 1,000 kCal in 1 hour requires about 270 watts (regardless of body weight) on a bike. That's going to be a very difficult effort for most people, but possible for a fit recreational cyclist or runner, etc. 100 to 200 watts is what a typical, reasonably fit cyclist is generally expected to be capable of.

But why are we limiting this to 1 hour? To burn 1,000 kCal in 4 hours is less than 70 watts, that's a slow recovery pace.

(HR not required.)

How about people getting all technical and showing off stats?? Some people just feel the need to "look good."
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have never posted anything about weight loss on facebook. No apps telling the world that I went for a walk, no pics of my dinner with calorie counts, no announcements that I went to a gym. I assume that nobody cares enough to hear it every day because I certainly wouldn't want to hear about every move everyone makes.

Most of the people bragging about weight loss on facebook won't go the distance. I think they're more insecure than bragging. Others are trying to sell fitness shakes. Skim, move on.