Unrealistic weight loss brags

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I only just started a Facebook this year, mainly so I don't look weird to the Bar or employers looking for my social media accounts. They don't find anything, they figure you're hiding something. Anyway.

My friends don't post about having lost tons of weight; they just have a compulsive need to 'check in' whenever they're at the gym. I know they're not logging it for their own sake like MFP, they're just bragging. And then they'll post a selfie looking too cute to actually work out and WAY too cute to have actually worked out. News flash: if you wore that much makeup while breaking a sweat, you would break out in so many zits it would look like chicken pox. "In the gym transforming".... right.

Speaking of "in the gym transforming," I hate the way MFP overestimates calorie burn. I did an hour of cardio yesterday (elliptical, cross trainer) and a 30 minute kettlebell workout, and MFP told me I burned 1000 calories, not me. I work out the burn according to the MET formula and change it when I remember, but my adjustments are never saved so that I can just check off my exercises next time. I just don't eat my exercise calories back because MFP is insane.

Ha, I've often posted asking "friends" who post gym selfies how they manage to not get skin issues working out with all that make up trowled on their face, and while I'm at it i would love to know why they are posting pics of themselves posing in the gym in the first place, does anyone really give a stuff? I'm so glad i got rid of Faceache, so not worth the annoyance and frustration.

I used to have a boss who perfected her hair and coordinated her lipstick, nails, and sweater before yoga.

giphy.gif

Lol In my circle, it's easy to tell the difference between those who pile on the make up before their gym session and for what reason, and those who just have normal make up on from the morning or whatever.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Unfortunately some of the people see doing that stuff are family members, which is a little harder. Not saying they don't have that teenager mentality, though, haha. My cousin was telling everyone she was a size 0 from all the weight she had lost awhile back, yet I'm an 8-10 and she was still bigger than me.
    I also have those ones who like to check in at the gym every day. They just love the attention I suppose.

The checking-in at the gym thing may not be for attention (or just for attention). There are programs like "Sweat Angels" that gyms and boxes participate in. When their clients check-in and post to Facebook, money goes to charity. http://www.causely.com/sweatangels

my fitness activity is posted automatically to FB...it's not a brag it's just what it is...not sure why people assume that all people post to FB to brag or are not being honest...esp when it comes to fitness...

I have a friend who is exceptionally into fitness he posts about it all the time...I love to watch him progress...and cheer for him on the sidelines...esp since he is far away...

I find it funny people here are talking about deleting people due to checking in at the gym or for posting their fitness...wow...

Your activity posting to FB may be automatic now, but at some point you must have made a decision to set it up that way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I only just started a Facebook this year, mainly so I don't look weird to the Bar or employers looking for my social media accounts. They don't find anything, they figure you're hiding something. Anyway.

My friends don't post about having lost tons of weight; they just have a compulsive need to 'check in' whenever they're at the gym. I know they're not logging it for their own sake like MFP, they're just bragging. And then they'll post a selfie looking too cute to actually work out and WAY too cute to have actually worked out. News flash: if you wore that much makeup while breaking a sweat, you would break out in so many zits it would look like chicken pox. "In the gym transforming".... right.

Speaking of "in the gym transforming," I hate the way MFP overestimates calorie burn. I did an hour of cardio yesterday (elliptical, cross trainer) and a 30 minute kettlebell workout, and MFP told me I burned 1000 calories, not me. I work out the burn according to the MET formula and change it when I remember, but my adjustments are never saved so that I can just check off my exercises next time. I just don't eat my exercise calories back because MFP is insane.

Ha, I've often posted asking "friends" who post gym selfies how they manage to not get skin issues working out with all that make up trowled on their face, and while I'm at it i would love to know why they are posting pics of themselves posing in the gym in the first place, does anyone really give a stuff? I'm so glad i got rid of Faceache, so not worth the annoyance and frustration.

I used to have a boss who perfected her hair and coordinated her lipstick, nails, and sweater before yoga.

giphy.gif

Lol In my circle, it's easy to tell the difference between those who pile on the make up before their gym session and for what reason, and those who just have normal make up on from the morning or whatever.

I should reiterate, I'm talking about the people i know in real life. Not people i don't personally know, or women on here.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

I should reiterate, I'm talking about the people i know in real life. Not people i don't personally know, or women on here.

I'm guessing they're supposedly just there to look cute, which unless they're somehow doing it for free and getting in the way, lots of people do go to the gym to kill time if they have it. People who might go to the pool to relax on the chairs or whatever those recliner bed thingies are. Or those who relax with the floaties in the pool. Legit people who paid good money, getting something out of their membership and not necessarily breaking a crazy sweat

One thing I tend to think about make up, though, is it's something lots of people do prior to leaving for an activity they actually enjoy. To be honest, it warms my heart a little to think that someone might feel that way about working out or hanging out at the gym.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

giphy.gif

I'm guessing they're supposedly justthere to look cute, which unless they're somehow doing it for free and getting in the way, lots of people do go to the gym to kill time if they have it. People who might go to the pool to relax on the chairs or whatever those recliner bed thingies are. Or those who relax with the floaties in the pool. Legit people who paid good money, getting something out of their membership and not necessarily breaking a crazy sweat...

Yeah. I remember those days. Losing weight was much easier and life was also. :) I don't begrudge anyone going through that phase in life.

Some people stay in great shape much longer than others. I love seeing awe-inspiring photos of those who look great and stay fit as they get older. Everyone wants to live out their lives in great health and vitality.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

giphy.gif

I'm guessing they're supposedly justthere to look cute, which unless they're somehow doing it for free and getting in the way, lots of people do go to the gym to kill time if they have it. People who might go to the pool to relax on the chairs or whatever those recliner bed thingies are. Or those who relax with the floaties in the pool. Legit people who paid good money, getting something out of their membership and not necessarily breaking a crazy sweat...

Yeah. I remember those days. Losing weight was much easier and life was also. :) I don't begrudge anyone going through that phase in life.

Some people stay in great shape much longer than others. I love seeing awe-inspiring photos of those who look great and stay fit as they get older. Everyone wants to live out their lives in great health and vitality.

Yep. I mean, some of the people who look like they're taking it easy aren't even losing weight. They're at a healthy weight and have been working out for years, if not decades. So now I'm gonna show up after a couple of years of working out and show them how it's done? Yeah, I'll tell them once I hit twenty years of doing it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Unfortunately some of the people see doing that stuff are family members, which is a little harder. Not saying they don't have that teenager mentality, though, haha. My cousin was telling everyone she was a size 0 from all the weight she had lost awhile back, yet I'm an 8-10 and she was still bigger than me.
    I also have those ones who like to check in at the gym every day. They just love the attention I suppose.

The checking-in at the gym thing may not be for attention (or just for attention). There are programs like "Sweat Angels" that gyms and boxes participate in. When their clients check-in and post to Facebook, money goes to charity. http://www.causely.com/sweatangels

my fitness activity is posted automatically to FB...it's not a brag it's just what it is...not sure why people assume that all people post to FB to brag or are not being honest...esp when it comes to fitness...

I have a friend who is exceptionally into fitness he posts about it all the time...I love to watch him progress...and cheer for him on the sidelines...esp since he is far away...

I find it funny people here are talking about deleting people due to checking in at the gym or for posting their fitness...wow...

Your activity posting to FB may be automatic now, but at some point you must have made a decision to set it up that way.

Edit: I actually don't remember if it was an automatic sync or if I had to turn it on to be honest. If I remember correctly I had to turn it off and I just didn't. Isn't FB for what you are doing? I am going for a walk in the morning. I post it on instagram too...I post my trips south, I post my garden and my flowers too....I post my time at the cottage...AMG I am posting about my life on FB...guess I need to remember what it's for.

If there are people on my fb who are sick of seeing my mmf posts they can unfollow me but truth be told anyone who has an issue with someone else's fitness or health or weight loss being posted on FB is not really a friend and needs to re-evaluate why it's such an annoyance for them to see someone else being fit or healthy...

and maybe just maybe seeing my dedication (after 20 years of being fat) will inspire other people to do the same.

I am not posting selfies from the gym, or me in my hot little workout gear and so what if I was....

this thread turned from "unrealistic" posts to bashing people for posting from the gym etc.

and from people who are on MyFitnessPal...wow just wow.
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get advice from these people, they're obviously doing something unhealthy. Slow is better than none, and slow is better than unhealthy :)