Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 6,456 Member
    @fabgeekmom Yes, it is really hot! I'm glad you are having nice weather. Good job with the walk and the strength workouts. That sounds like a good dinner.

@cbabie I'm glad you are resting. Sometimes, we ("I") try to push through injuries and end up worse! lol I'm glad the baby is better. Ugh, I wish Fall was coming soon. I love Fall!

@theslightedgeforever Yeah it's been a while lol. I called out the hounds but still no slightedge LOL. Finally, today, you grace us with your presence. :D That's nice that your son came to visit. I'm so very sorry about your husband's neck. I hope he gets better soon. A salad for lunch is a good plan.

Hi all. I made something good for dinner last night: Gochujang Chicken Burgers with Kimchi Bacon Jam with fries. I had *wanted* to pick up a pizza because we had a lot of cooking to do for the surprise party today, but no, husband didn't want to do that. I think he just wanted me to cook because HE had to cook on his days. :( I ended up having to go to Walmart at 10 pm to get some things for the cooking we had to do. Got back, and we put the ribs in the smoker at 11 pm. They got done at 1 am, we had to let them cool and put the stuff away and it was 2 am before my head hit the pillow. I slept in a little bit: I woke up at 5:30. I am not good at functioning like this but we have to make the other 2 racks of ribs and some mac and cheese for the party this morning. It was pretty hot yesterday but less hot than the day before: it got up to the mid-80s but somehow, it felt just as hot inside the house.

Water yesterday: 40 oz

My phrase for the year: "New year, new me!"
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,632 Member
    Morning all, I am "walking" a little better today than yesterday. I realized yesterday that this is causing my back to be out of whack and I certainly don't want what I had a year ago. LOL So trying to be cautious and walk in a. normal way as not to get me out of whack any more than is possible. I think stretching is my focus today and upper arm. My daughter says your arms have good muscle..but that is just the biceps..(picking up heavy baby). LOL need to work the back flabby side. :)

@gemwolf110 thank you! I hope you have a good weekend!

@fabgeekmom I think I might have to make some coleslaw this weekend...my family loves it. I hope you have a good weekend.

@trooworld No way am I cooking until 1am....you are a better person than me. LOL. I hate when I have to go to the store to cook...Chicken burgers sound good. I am such a sandwich eater. I grew up on them..,my mom was not a cook. I remember my grandmother telling my mother how to slice an egg for deviled eggs so that it wouldn't roll and I was in my teens. No one had ever taught my mom and she hated cooking...(too much of a mess for a 15 min reason). LOL she didn't clean as she went.

@theslightedgeforever so sorry about dh neck..and yes we didn't grow up being nurtured. LOL. I don't think I can ever really eat salads anymore..I got so burnt out on them from when I was younger..the only ones I can do are salad and go. Love their harvest one.

cbabie
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 565 Member
    @theslightedgeforever I’m sorry your DH hurt his neck. I know what you mean about being a nursemaid! A salad for lunch sounds good. I do that a lot, especially if we are having something high calorie for dinner. @cbabie I’m glad you’re walking better. I’m also trying to work on the flabby arms. @trooworld Yum on the chicken burgers. I’ve never made bacon jam. Hi, all. I went swimming this morning. Lunch was leftovers from last night l. Tonight we are having grilled flank steak, baked potatoes and coleslaw.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,288 Member
    @trooworld FALL- it was 41 here early today and then back up to 84 by next Wednesday. At least we have pumpkin spice lattes. LOL I saw something on TikTok I'm going to try tomorrow. How to order it with less sugar/calories. I hope it at least tastes good and I don't waste my money. Ribs sound really good. So since I missed alot of posts what is happening with your surgery?

@cbabie I hope you are able to get back to exercising normally soon. I've found when I can't I want to and when I can I don't want to. LOL But I did today. I like coleslaw too. Hated it as a child. Probably cause mom made it. LOL I just went and continued your post and laughed when you said mom was not a cook. No she wasn't God Bless her. I had to teach myself to cook and bake. Now I'm curious about the deviled egg thing. I've never seen them roll.

@fabgeekmom Baked potatoes sound really good. I could eat just that. I made some airfryed okra the other day that was really good. Speaking of flabby arms, I saw a reel on Instagram yesterday where a lady made her flabby arms dance. It was so funny. I guess she found a way to make peace with them.

Well, I walked today for 30 min and I'll call it the Walk from Hell. But I did it. Last time I walked this route was no problem. Today though from the beginning I seemed to have problems breathing. By the time I hit the hill I was really out of breath. Worse thing is my HR was only showing 87. No way. Then my calves started burning. Besides I had Mr. Drill Sargent next to me :s Then along the route came the grasshoppers and crickets jumping all over. Then I suddenly had to pee. lol Normally we do a loop and a half. I did a loop and told him he can do the other one by himself. I don't know if it's my new shoes or what the problem was today. My legs felt awful. But I did burn some calories. I did not eat my salad though. Hubby was hungry so I made a tamale pie with ground turkey for lunch and I would just eat the salad for dinner. Dinner ended up being 4 cookies. My daughter had brought in the mail and there was a cookie tin in there. Someone sent me cookies as a thank you gift. This is why I'm still fat. Choosing cookies over salad for dinner.
  • trooworld
    @cbabie That's good you are walking a little better. That makes sense, about your back. Stretching is a good idea. Oh gosh, I did NOT want to be up until 2 am, trust me! We had an overwhelming amount to cook, so we didn't have a choice lol. My mom wasn't a cook, either, I taught myself everything I know through following recipes. I try to clean as I go. My husband, he doesn't clean as he goes and he makes a huge mess. I like when he cooks because I don't have to cook, but I also dread it!

@fabgeekmom I've made bacon jam before but this one had kimchi in it, which I've never made. I hope you enjoyed the dinner and good job on the swim.

@theslightedgeforever Ugh, that is weird weather! Yes, I actually got sugar-free pumpkin spice creamer for my coffee and it's delicious! I hope the way you saw on TikTok is good and not a waste. I hate it when that happens. My surgery...a lady is going to call me on Monday morning with a surgery date. Also, I don't know if you saw it, but my knee is really bothering me: I need a cane to walk sometimes. The arthritis in my knee has progressed and it's now moderate to severe. I may have to have a knee replacement surgery. I am starting physical therapy for my knee next Friday but honestly, I don't see how they can make it feel better. Was it hot out when you went on the Walk From Hell? I'm sorry about how it went. That sounds awful. I think we've all done the cookies for dinner thing. You could have had the salad and the cookies, so at least you saved a few calories!

Hi all. The party was really nice. We were 2 hours late due to cooking more stuff but it ended up we were just on time because everyone else was 2 hours late lol. There was a TON of food, too much. Unfortunately, those ribs and chicken that we stayed up until 2 am cooking? My cousin-in-law put them in the oven to heat and ended up leaving them in too long and they dried out but they still had a good flavor. My husband's girl cousins, who are usually frosty to me, were quite nice to me, which was wonderful. By about 4 pm, the 3 hours of sleep I had was starting to affect me but we didn't leave until 6:30. I still feel exhausted today, I see a nap in my future.

Water yesterday: 30 oz

• fabgeekmom
    @theslightedgeforever Wow, that was some walk! I have also had a disconnect with my exertion and HT. Sometimes I’ll have a high one and other times a lower one with the same exertion. I think the heart rates on fitness watches are not accurate. @trooworld I’m glad the party went well even though the ribs were overcooked. It’s good that the cousins were nice to you. Hi, all. I’m loving the fall weather here. I went for a walk after breakfast and didn’t get really hot. I had to go grocery shopping. Now I’m relaxing with a grape seltzer. Someone mentioned learning how to cook. I also am self taught as my stepmother had no patience in teaching me anything. My children didn’t learn how to cook until they were on their own. They weren’t interested in cooking when they were home and I didn’t push it. Now DS cooks better than I do.
  • trooworld
    @fabgeekmom Yes! Oh that's good you are having Fall weather. It's interesting how everyone approaches/learns cooking (or doesn't learn cooking) differently. My DH learned from his grandma, who let him tag after her when he was a child. I am the one that learned on my own, as your stepmother, my mother didn't have any interest in teaching me how to cook (and she wasn't a good cook, anyway!).

Hi all. At one point during the day, it was 106F here with a "Feels Like" of 114.6F! We were out and about in it until about noon. We came home and put the AC unit in the living room and just hung out in the AC the rest of the day. It was still 82-84F in the living room but it was better than not having the AC unit in the living room. Hopefully it is cooler today, but at least I am at work all day.

Water yesterday: 20 oz

• theslightedgeforever
    EDIT: I started this post last night and never finished or sent it. lol

So I tried my new iced coffee this morning and it was good. Let's compare.

Original Iced Pumpkin White Mocha
    440 cals/93 carbs/87g sugar

Pumpkin White Mocha Cold Press
    160 cals/25 carbs/16g sugar

@trooworld It was not hot out when I was walking and complaining. lol I think low 50s. Thank God. I couldn't function on little sleep. Well I could but everyone around me would suffer through BitchyWitchy. I went to Walmart for groceries yesterday. They had moved everything in the store and it was crowded and no one could find anything. They didn't move overhead aisle signs either. Dh called to check on me since it took so long. I still didn't find some items I need. Sorry about your knee. My friend in FL is dealing with the same thing. She just got some gel shots in her knees.

@fabgeekmom I see I'm not the only self-taught cook here. Out of three kids I have a son that cooks really well. A daughter that can cook some things but is so busy with work she doesn't. Then another son that hardly cooks at all. I didn't really learn to cook well til they were gone out of the house. In earlier days cause of sports and hubby coaching dinner was just thrown together as quick as I could. Cause they just scarfed it all down not stopping to taste, I think and then out the door. Now I try and do it for the health benefits.
  • cbabie
    Morning all, Its still warm here, but it looks like next week might be in the high 80s...so maybe take the baby in a walk in the stroller when I get back from baby girl school. I didn't eat well, but not bad bad either. Yesterday I had salad and go...I was so craving it. LOL

@fabgeekmom glad you got your exercise in..and yes I think most kid learn as an adult how to cook, but I wouldn't have wanted to learn from my mom, but oh my grandma could cook. (but she tasted everything as she cooked) LOL In fact my dad did most of the cooking after we kids left LOL

@trooworld Sorry about the meat...glad it still had flavor. LOL. Well you hear today about your surgery. I think that's probably some closure you might need in your health journey. It's kind of like working from a goal backwards to meet it. I hope you don't have to have knee surgery.. I think I will do anything as not to have surgery on my knee ever again.

@theslightedgeforever I laughed when you talked about the rolling eggs. Mom always cut them in half like a circle (think cutting a snowman in half at his belly button). Grandma said ' Margaret, you have to cut them lengthwise, that way they lay flat and they don't roll around). I know mom always felt stupid around her, I don't think grandma meant to do that to her..but it's all in how you say it I guess. Sorry about your walk from *&%&. Should I tell DH he is drill Sargent ( comes from coaching)? LOL. I am assuming the oldest is the one who doesn't cook?

cbabie
  • fabgeekmom
    @trooworld Sorry about the hot weather. It’s nice where I am but in the winter I’ll complain about the cold and it’ll be milder your way. @theslightestedgeforever That was good you could save calories for the coffee drink. I think stores charge the layout because while you’re looking for stuff, you’ll buy other stuff. @cbabie Hopefully you can walk with baby when the weather cools off. Hi, all. We found out today that DH needs surgery to heal his fracture. He’s having it done next week. Leftovers for dinner so no cooking tonight.
  • trooworld
    @theslightedgeforever That's great that the coffee worked out. The new one sounds good, too. LOL you just wanted to complain then. Low 50s is nice. I don't know how I functioned on so little sleep, and I had to drive us 45 mins away (and back) into the boonies. It's a wonder I didn't fall asleep lol. That Walmart trip sounds like a nightmare! I hope they don't move my store, too, I'll be really mad. Thanks, yeah shots are the next step if the meds aren't working. If the shots don't work, it's replacement surgery. I start physical therapy this Friday. I don't know how they can help, but I'm following the doctor's orders.

@cbabie Yeah it's supposed to cool down here starting today (to the 80s) and then next week, the 70s I think. I can't wait! How are your injuries? I hope you can get out and feel okay to walk. You had a salad and a what??? I do need some closure, unfortunately, she didn't call yesterday. :( I hope I don't have to have knee surgery, either. Oh gosh, yes, I can understand that. I understand it's painful and a long recovery. Not only that, we have stairs getting to our condo so I don't know how I will do that if I have to have surgery!

@fabgeekmom Thanks. Yeah, I miss the Fall with the leaves changing colors but I do NOT miss the winter! (I'm originally from Ohio) Oh no, that's terrible news about your DH! That's good he's having it done so quickly. I hope it goes well.

Hi all. I was expecting a call from the surgeon's office yesterday but got no call. I tried to call them, I may as well be trying to call Mars: they never answer on a Monday. I don't think there is even a way to leave a message (not that I would, I would just call back). If I don't hear from her this morning, I will call at about 10:30. It must have been really hot here yesterday, when we got home at 6 pm, it was 88F in our condo and very stuffy. Even after we opened up all the windows, it was still 88F. I do think it is supposed to cool down today a bit, so that's good news.

Water yesterday: 72.9 oz

• fabgeekmom
    @trooworld It’s frustrating waiting for medical staff to call back. As a rule, the medical profession is slow. I’m glad it’s going to cool down. I don’t blame you for not wanting a knee replacement. However, my cousin’s DH had one and their bedroom is on the second floor. If and when you need one, PT will help you with steps. Hi, all. I went swimming today. Dinner is ST American Goulash. I have made it before and it’s easy to make and good.
  • trooworld
    @fabgeekmom Yes it is, very. That's good to know about your cousin's DH and the PT. Good job with the swim! I love that ST American Goulash recipe.

Hi all. I never heard from the surgery team so I called and the receptionist said they were "with a patient" so I left a message asking them to call me back. They didn't. Maybe they still will but I've had it. So, I decided to schedule a consultation with a different surgery center that gets excellent reviews. I didn't decide to call another center just based on this one phone call situation: my current surgery center historically has not returned my calls, not given me information, the doctor claimed to examine me physically (wrote it in my chart!) and he did not, are extremely hard to get ahold of...I don't trust them with my aftercare or my surgery. I hope to have a better experience with the new place.

Water yesterday: 104.2 oz

• cbabie
    Morning all, I am still having knee issues. It just won't let up. I am trying to watch what I am eating. So exercise not happening. I am going to dig out my bands and work on my arms today.

@trooworld so sorry about your surgeon care, I would not want to trust them either. I have had my share of drs whom gave poor service. LOL. I can't wait for fall. Love cooking in that season. I am not saying it's all good food. LOL

@fabgeekmom American goulash is a favorite here in this house. I truly have a DH that will almost eat anything..."Mikey likes it let him try it". LOL. Sorry about your DH, I hope recovery is quick.

cbabie
  • fabgeekmom
    @trooworld That's really frustrating that your calls aren’t being returned. I hope you have better success with the next group. @cbabie Good idea to do upper body while your knee gets better. Hi,all. I walked outside again and it was very nice. I also did a strength workout. Dinner tonight was ST Petite Meatloaf dinner from One&Done. I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow and dinner one night next week.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @cbabie Yes the oldest one doesn't cook. Yaaay on eating a salad. Little changes here and there will work for you. It was up to 83 here today. MN should not be this hot in September. Did you do some band work for your arms? Maybe a trip to the dr is needed for your knee. The faster you heal the faster you can get back to real exercise.

@fabgeekmom Sorry about your hubby's fracture needing surgery. Good for you for getting in exercise with swimming and walking/weights.

@trooworld Bummer on not getting a phone call about your surgery. The unprofessionalism is really bad. I wouldn't trust them with your aftercare either.

So I've stayed within my calories for 3 days now. I exercised Mon and Tuesday at the gym. Today's exercise was only cleaning. I ate a salad today for lunch so I could have biscuits and gravy with chicken tonight. Onto tomorrow. Oh there was a moment where I was in a crunchy mood. I went to the pantry and actually had the bag of Tostito scoops in my hand but then talked myself out of it. So that was a win for me today. Yesterday's win was only eating 2 of the Austin cheese crackers instead of all 6 in the package. I took out 2 and put the rest in a baggie and back into the pantry.
  • trooworld
    @cbabie I'm sorry about the knee issues, I can relate. Are you going to go back to the doctor? That's a good idea to dig out your bands. Thanks, yeah, as much as I'm paying (well, insurance is lol), I figure I deserve better care. I love cooking in the fall, too (I hate cooking in the summer!).

@fabgeekmom Yes it is, really frustrating! Thank you. It sure makes it easier to exercise when the weather is good, right? Good job with the strength workout.

@theslightedgeforever Yes! I want to make sure to set myself up for the best success, so they have to go. That's great you've stayed within your calories and exercised. Cleaning is good exercise, don't say "only"! That sounds like a yummy dinner. I like stuff like that. Good job avoiding the Scoops. What did you have instead? You are building up wins, good for you.

Hi all. I'm really glad I went to that consultation yesterday: they seem much more thorough, on top of things, and helpful. I have 3 things I have to do before they submit to insurance for authorization: I have to visit a cardiologist to make sure my heart is good for surgery, I have to get an ultrasound of my gallbladder to make sure I have no stones (if I do, they will take out my gallbladder during my gastric bypass), and I have to get an endoscopy because of my GERD and hiatal hernia issues. They have really good follow-up after surgery: they have an app that you use to track your food and hook up a fitness band to and they check that stuff every day and give you feedback, I get dietician visits (4 times), 3 months worth of vitamins, and a digital food scale and digital body composition scale (I've got both of the two last things but this comes as a package and I cannot refuse any of it). This follow-up is mandatory and at a pretty significant cost but I think it will set me up for success. They also have a support group. I still haven't heard back from my old surgery center, so I think I am making the right decision.

Water yesterday: 120.1 oz

• cbabie
    Morning all, Knee was terrible yesterday and I am going to give it one more day to see if it improves at all, and then if not I will call the DR.. UGH. I dropped a whole container of yogurt this morning..it went everywhere. I am still not sure I got it all up. I am talking the BIG containers. LOL I hear a song in my head...this is the way I start my day, start my day, start my day, this is the way I start my day so early in the morning..(kid songs). LOL

@trooworld Yes I would say you made a wise choice. Good for you!!

@fabgeekmom I was never good at making small quantity things.. I should try to do the petite meatloaf.. You always have a variety!!!

@theslightedgeforever nope didn't start my arms.. I will set my bands out before lunch and do it this afternoon. I think it's just been hot everywhere...so glad we are going to see fall soon. It should be pretty there?

cbabie
  • fabgeekmom
    @theslightedgeforever You’re making a lot of good decisions. Kudos for showing restraint and not eating the chips. @trooworld I hope everything works out with the new doctor. It sounds like the group knows what they’re doing. And the scale and other things is an extra touch. @cbabie It looks like you need to call the doctor. I can relate to you dropping the yogurt. We’ve all done stuff like that. Hi, all. I went swimming and then went to Sam’s Club. I got steak for tomorrow night, salmon for tonight and shrimp for next week. I was exhausted but it was worth it. DS grilled tfw salmon, cooked some rice and made ratatouille. We had a little chocolate for dessert.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld I didn't substitute anything for the Scoops. I just made myself busy with something else until next mealtime. The new surgery center sounds a lot more thorough to make sure you won't have complications. Your water was really good.

@cbabie It was 83 today I think. Still hot although hot is relative isn't it? We are not having fall weather yet. So how about 5 min of the arm bands for a start?

@fabgeekmom Good job on the swimming. You've got your protein all set up. I did well on some chocolate the other day. I found a small box of chocolates that my daughter had got for hubby from Belgium. I did not get in it and said I can have some later. Now if I just keep doing that for awhile all will be good. oh just thought I did have one thin mint GS cookie today when hubby was eating some and said do you want one? One step forward, one step back.

I went to the gym today for weights and cardio. I had a caesar salad for lunch with one piece of veggie pizza and then tonight for dinner was leftover meatloaf and a broccoli cauliflower apple salad. It was good. I couldn't find my regular recipe so I tried another one but this one was a bit too lemony for me. Onto tomorrow........