WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Allison-Sorry to hear about the gout attack. DH was getting those a lot. Now they have him on 2 types of meds to help him and it is much better.
    Di- Silver Sneakers sounds like fun. Was really muggy early this morning but it seems to be dropping now and there is a nice breeze going. This makes sense based on what you had said as we are in south central PA and most of our weather comes from your way about a day later. My DH is originally from the Mon Valley and we still have a bunch of family that way. We love Pittsburgh and like to come out that way when we can.
    Dar- Hi to you also! Come visit often, this is a chatty bunch. To you and Di, you can call me Tracey. I frequently forget to sign my posts!
    Beth in Buffalo- I’ve been meaning to ask you what school your DS will be attending? My nephew is in college down there also.
    Lenora- Tried the word document cut/paste. Slick! Thanks for the tip!!
    Penny- So sorry about the job challenges. Why does it seem like when we think life should be getting easier it sometimes it's getting harder? Good luck. Keep trying. Liked the ex analogy there!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Stronglift 5X5 Workout B
    Squat- 1x5x55/65/75/85, 5x5x95
    OHP- 1x5x45/50/55/60, 5x5x55

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 19x10x35
    You know that you're ready to increase weight when halfway through the workout you check to make sure you didn't grab the lighter Kettlebell by accident!

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy hump day,welcome new ladies and prayers and hugs to those who need them.
    hugs jane
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Penny I would feel exactly the same way! I suppose if you do your usual good job for them this time, they may find ways to hire you to do more jobs if the contracted group somehow lets them down. Many businesses, and especially government agencies and universities in the U.S. have a similar process. It makes it difficult for individuals who may be capable of doing a superb job to get the jobs, just like you. Are you thinking of working for one of those agencies? My neighbor Steve is a forensic accountant, and worked for a company for several years, and now even though he is "retired", they keep calling him to do this odd job or that, and he charges them A LOT of money for the odd freelance jobs. I hope something works out for you, so you don't have to worry about this anymore. (((Hug))),

<3 Everybody...

Karen in Virginia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Penny, sorry about the job situation. It seems like everything is going big conglomerate and can afford to have the biggest and the best just by paying for it and the little man in left out. You are one of the dying breed 'Mom and Pop shop' that can offer so much more if people would just look and listen. Love you rock garden. I can just invision having a nice warm picnic sitting there.

Feeling better today. B/P and heart rate haven't changed any, still low heart rate. I did manage to get some sleep last night and I didn't have to sleep sitting up. I figured I would not be able to. But if you lay that lounge pillow down, it still has an incline which I used to my benefit. Charlie checked on me several times. I got a call this morning that my one part of my blood count, hemoglobin, is low and they wanted to get an iron level and check my stool for blood. So when Charlie woke up we went and did that. Brought the poop kit home and it wasn't long before I got the urge. I gave him the privilege in taking it back to the lab. He went to the mall to walk after he did that.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: I hope you're able to get some pain relief soon! :star:

Heather: Your lunch sounds lie a good time for you and your friend. Yay! :bigsmile:

Penny: "Well, I had been working for them for over a decade, so I said I'd do it, but I'm finding it psychologically tough. It feels a bit like having an ex-boyfriend call you up and ask you to sleep with him one more time the night before he marries someone else.
    To make matters worse, my husband is out doing field work. We haven't seen each other for two weeks and we won't see each other for yet another week. He's a great support in times of need but when he's in the field he's really hard to reach. Besides, it's never much fun talking via satellite phone."

I'd be sad, too. This is so unfair. (((HUGS))) :mad:

I am having a pity party today despite so many good things in my life. I'm still upset about the car key. I'm thinking of walking the route, which is quite a long walk, likely several miles. I probably won't actually go through with it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    lenora if you have used an exercise before and it doesn't show up on your list then use the search box to find it again. I I used a heart rate monitor for a year to get an idea of how many calories I burned for things that weren't in the MFP database. I track my exercise every day :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,666 Member
    Options
    I think we will b calling her Twinkie .. Kirby says she's ready, $5800.00 beans!
    At least it will b ready for the MS ride
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Pip- great name! Awesome bracelet!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: The bracelet is wonderful and I really appreciate the "has dogs at home" part of the message. You're an exemplary pet mom. :flowerforyou:

I took my dog out for a walk to look for my missing car key. 9,072 steps, according to my phone, looking for a 2 inch by 1 inch car key on a hot afternoon, and no key found. I'm going to face the music & buy a new key. The quotation below is looking ironic & revealing one of my weaknesses. I give up too easily sometimes. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Katla- I would not call all of those steps giving up! Great effort!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well the Dr's never called in script,my foot a bit better. but I am ticked off, they were never like this before.. might have to switch Drs. told Tom that and he said we dont have insurance... which is kinda true.. will call My Ex SIL and see if I can go talk to her about getting my won insurance...
    Tomorrow is go to get my hair cut and then go to the pig roast, and bringing little miss with me tomorrow,, all she wants to do is hang here and watch t.v. and play video games, but that isn't happening... will do a couple loads of wash and make her some breakfast then off we go...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,666 Member
    Options
    Thanks katla I think we r good parents
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: It is fairly nice today. I have taken care of horses and gotten some overdue vacuuming done. DH went to a store that is closing so time to myself. I need to clean out the refrigerator before we go grocery shopping tomorrow. I also have PT tomorrow. Turkey tacos for dinner tonight.

Katla - I am sending you a finding angel for your keys, that is so frustrating.

Melanie - Hope you and yours continue to be safe. Will you be able to get back in to the area before long?

Allie - Yikes! Hope you get some pain relief soon.

Pip - I sincerely hope you are never smooshed on the ground unconscious but the bracelet is awesome and a good idea.

Joyce - Hang in there and I hope this is all over soon.

Penny - I hate that insecure feeling when a job changes and you just don't know what will happen. Hope there are good things in your future.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Katla: In my experience, keys have often shown up where you least expect them. I'm wondering if give it a little more time before purchasing a new key might make sense. I've had things show up in the fridge when I was absolutely positive I'd placed them on a desk :)

Melanie: You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Penny: We have similar rules regarding contracting here in Alberta. One of the ways that some of the smaller contractors get work is by subcontracting to a larger company...any chance this could work for you?

Pip: Awesome bracelet

Carey -Northern Alberta
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    frankiesgirl21 – It took me a while to learn that ‘if’’ I did not do it this way; and, went back a page I’d lose everything I had typed. Also makes it easy to reply or comment on things that get posted and you don’t want to lose the loop to stay with a story of someone. Somebody here, gave me the same ‘tip’ … and I would like to ‘thank them’ for it.

barbiecat – I don’t have a ‘heart rate’ monitor; but, I just; found something I thought was close.

pip34 - That’s thoughtful for your ‘fur babies’. I wore a Medic ID necklace; and, then he told me that I could wear on my wrist (that is where EMTs look first). I also keep my medical history and list of medications I take in an envelope in my purse, so if I am smashed on the road; they will have everything they need. That is how the EMT knew that I had had a ‘seizure’ … along with what the lady at the bank was telling him that I did before I passed out.

DH hates to have to use my car (if I am not with him) because it means he has to take the key fob; which is sort of heavy. My key stays in whatever purse I happen to be using. But, he will take it with us on our trip; just so we'll have one, in case the other goes 'missing'. I was told that to start my car, if the ‘start’ button was not working was to put the fob up next to the start button and it should start. I hope I never have to find that out (the hard way). I think maybe I should see about having an extra battery in my glove compartment. They are very expensive. DDnL thought that she had lost hers. Definitely wanting to take the ‘easy’ way out; but, once she found out how much it would be to ‘get a new key’ … which they could not have afforded. She back-tracked what she had done all day and found it – guess where … yep, in the car. I guess she never thought to try to start the car. The key has to be within 3 or 4 feet. Nice thing about it, is you can’t lock your keys in the car. Or that is supposed to be that way. But, if you walk away with the key and someone is sitting in the car, it ‘beeps’ … so you have to go back and give it to them. Must be a sensor in the seats up front.

DOS and DDnL#1 came down and brought a dresser she had gotten from a friend to 're-do'; and, she is giving one to a niece who just got a divorce. There are times when I see things at a 'flea market' and think, oh, that would make a good whatever. I enjoy watching "Flea Market" flip; now ready to start seeing the 'new' old season. I don't watch the decorating shows at night; I do it in the middle of the day. Some of them come up with some very unique things.

We are not seeing all of Rio. I hear there are some places there that are really 'rough'. They showed a 'market' tonight; but, it was a 'tourist' market.

Lenora
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lenora, please don't call yourself a wimp about using a 10 lb Kettlebell. It's super that you've started, and so important that you only do what you can without hurting yourself. Form is imortant, and even a lighter weight has benefits. Kim's use to loosen up her shoulder is a huge win, and it's not taking much weight to do it. I started at 15 lbs (I'm relatively strong) and then tried 20, but honestly, I couldn't stay in good form so I went back down until I could. The first time I did it I could only do 3 or 4 sets. And I felt it the next day. Mary's been using them for months, and I'm in awe that she can do so many sets with such high weight, but I'm sure she didn't start there!

Penny, I feel your pain on the procurement process. Things may loosen up a bit in time once people figure out that a little more flexibility may be helpful. In the meantime, Karen's idea to see if you could subcontract to one of the larger firms sounds like a good one. Using subcontractors is good for the firm because it gives them flexibility that they might need. In any case, it's frustrating and scary when those sorts of changes happen.

Cheri, I read your comments about this being a safe space to share this morning and wholeheartedly agreed. And I wanted to share something about my father's death, but when I tried to write it I just couldn't. I froze and started asking myself, "is that really what happened?" So I didn't post anything, but I walked away from the attempt with the recognition that I had something to deal with internally... That's important. His death fractured the family (long story) and revealed things that I hadn't seen or recognized. I felt a curious sense of relief that I saw them, but the family has never gotten back together, and I'm not sure it will.

KarenE
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Pip, love the bracelet! All I have in my teeny bike bag is phone, keys, one band aid and two dollars. Guess I should get more decked out.
    Lenora, I somehow don't think you have a wimpy bone in your body!
    Penny, I think the ways we have to look for jobs are getting crazier and crazier--hope things turn around for you soon!
    I am afraid to get on a scale but have had two bike rides this week. That is getting harder now that it is getting darker earlier, thus the quest for another exercise option. But water walking does not sound like as much fun as bicycling to me. We rode past a Christmas tree farm today and the air smelled like balsam fir! Much better than chlorine.
    Welcome to the many new people, and hugs to those with medical and other problems.
    Betty