Senior Golden Sneakers - July 2010

Options

Replies

• BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I wish I could keep up with the posts like I did when I first began, but I just don't have the time :ohwell: :sad: So I am just dropping in to say that I lost 3 of the pounds that I gained over vacation. :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
    Have to get back to work! :ohwell:
    Have a great day everyone!!!!:heart:
    BirdieM :smooched:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    HAPPY AFTERNOON ALL.

Glad to hear from Jeffrey. I don't know how you get out in this heat and do all of your exercise. But you seems to like it .
    Me and Jerry STAYS IN WHERE IT IS COOL.

Concgrats Birdie on you 3 lb lost. you really know how to take the weight off.

How is that canning coming along. Hope all goes well with Neil and his new home.It's is really going to take some tuff love to get thru the beginning.

Well guess what it is time for me to change diet again., Its going to be South beach Diet. Been reading up on it all day

Sandy how is the tile looking... great I bet.

hELLO GIGI, MARILYN AND MY GOOD FRIEND JAKE, SO HERE WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST OF TIMES.

mARIE

Barbiecat hope your knee is feeling better,
    B arbs You and your 3 dogs. you all have a ball.
    Hello Gigi, amnd Marilyn and my good friend Jake
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: I am very excited to report that my knee did well on a walk with my friend on the Discovery Trail.....we walked a little slower than usual and for a little more than an hour instead of our usual two hours and I have ice on my knee now as a precaution, but things are looking up :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: when I got home the dogs were begging to go to the dog park, but one walking adventure today is enough......I am seriously considering going to line dance tomorrow.....I'll decide in the morning.

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, that's a great idea to e mail a big sponge to Sandy,,,,,,maybe if we all did that, her clean up would be done more quickly and further problems would be taken care of.:laugh: :laugh: congratulations on getting rid of the snake---no snakes should be allowed in anyone's garden.......best of luck on the next triathlon.

:flowerforyou: birdie, I knew those extra unwanted pounds wouldn't dare stay around too long now that you are back to your regular good habits

:flowerforyou: Marie, will the South Beach Diet taken your low sodium and low carb needs into consideration? It was about 65 degrees this afternoon when I went walking......when it's too hot, I stay indoors.

:flowerforyou: the sodium weight gain is gone after a few days of good eating and a cleanse day and I may be able to post the last pound lost if it stays gone through the week.........Jake says I've lost enough weight so I guess I won't be lowering my goal again.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    THOUGHT FOR TODAY

HANDS

GRANDMA'S HANDS A must read thru to the end please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grandma, some ninety plus years, sat feebly on the patio bench. She didn't move, just sat with her head down staring at her hands.

When I sat down beside her she didn't acknowledge my presence and the longer I sat I wondered if she was OK.

Finally, not really wanting to disturb her but wanting to check on her at the same time, I asked her if she was OK. She raised her head and looked at me and smiled. 'Yes, I'm fine, thank you for asking,' she said in a clear voice strong.

'I didn't mean to disturb you, grandma, but you were just sitting here staring at your hands and I wanted to make sure you were OK,' I explained to her.

'Have you ever looked at your hands,' she asked. 'I mean really looked at your hands?'

I slowly opened my hands and stared down at them. I turned them over, palms up and then palms down. No, I guess I had never really looked at my hands as I tried to figure out the point she was making.

Grandma smiled and related this story:

'Stop and think for a moment about the hands you have, how they have served you well throughout your years. These hands, though wrinkled shriveled and weak have been the tools I have used all my life to reach out and grab and embrace life.

'They braced and caught my fall when as a toddler I crashed upon the floor.

They put food in my mouth and clothes on my back. As a child, my mother taught me to fold them in prayer. They tied my shoes and pulled on my boots. They held my husband and wiped my tears when he went off to war..

'They have been dirty, scraped and raw, swollen and bent. They were uneasy and clumsy when I tried to hold my newborn son. Decorated with my wedding band they showed the world that I was married and loved someone special

They wrote my letters to him and trembled and shook when I buried my parents and spouse.

'They have held my children and grandchildren, consoled neighbors, and shook in fists of anger when I didn't understand.

They have covered my face, combed my hair, and washed and cleansed the rest of my body. They have been sticky and wet, bent and broken, dried and raw. And to this day when not much of anything else of me works real well these hands hold me up, lay me down, and again continue to fold in prayer.

'These hands are the mark of where I've been and the ruggedness of life.

But more importantly it will be these hands that God will reach out and take when he leads me home. And with my hands He will lift me to His side and there I will use these hands to touch the face of God.'

I will never look at my hands the same again. But I remember God reached out and took my grandma's hands and led her home. When my hands are hurt or sore or when I stroke the face of my children and husband I think of grandma. I know she has been stroked and caressed and held by the hands of God.

I, too, want to touch the face of God and feel His hands upon my face.

When you receive this, say a prayer for the person who sent it to you, and watch God's answer to prayer work in your life. Let's continue praying for one another.

Passing this on to anyone you consider a friend will bless you both...

Passing this on to one not yet considered a friend is something God would do.

HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS MARIE
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello Marie,

That was beautiful. so true I will never look at my hands the same way,

I had a terrible day at work, so busy could not even take a lunch break, but you made my day.

Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:

You're the best. Hope everyone gets to read that message.

Hi Gayla I miss you, hope you're doing well.

Take care everyone:happy:
    Gigi
  • barbiecat
    Options
    I read this today and thought you all might find it interesting
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Your body needs salt. That’s probably why it tastes so good to us. But too much salt can lead to a lot of health problems, including high blood pressure. The good news is that you can lower your blood pressure by cutting back on salt.

In general people should have less than 2,400 mg of sodium daily. That’s about 1 teaspoon of table salt. But doctors may advise people with high blood pressure to have less than that. Recent research has shown that having 1,500 mg of sodium a day helps lower blood pressure even more.

Less than 10 percent of the salt we eat comes from what we sprinkle on our food. Most of it comes from processed and packaged foods. It also comes from meals in restaurants and cafeterias. And more than 20 percent comes from things like bread and cereal.

Even cutting back a little can change your blood pressure. Try to find low-salt versions of your favorite foods.

Studies prove that as you gradually lower how much salt you eat, your cravings for salt are not as strong. And surveys have found that most people can’t tell any difference between regular food and the low-sodium varieties
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    we talk a lot about the fluid retention and weight gain associated with high sodium consumption but there are a lot of good health reasons to cut back.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,120 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration Marie, it was beautiful. :heart:

Barbie, I do well with salt since I hardly even cook with it and usually never add it to my food. Both my husband and I have good blood pressure so we are lucky. Thank you for sharing. :heart:

Jeffrey, I will wait for those sponges that you and Barbie are sending, but you are a day late and a dollar short. :laugh: The restoration people will come tomorrow to take away their fans and dehumidfier and we can then start getting estimates for tile.
    The AC is still broken and I have a second guy coming tomorrow because the first guy said everything is working and it must be our ducts. I told him that the AC worked for years so why all of a sudden would it be the ducts? We will see what the second guy says but I really believe we need a new air conditioner. The air has been running for three days straight but the house is still at 77 degrees. I am afraid to see my electric bill since we are running extra fans along with the AC. I keep wondering if it has something to do with the equipment they are using in the basement but that shouldn't have anything to do with the air flow. I will keep you informed.

Gigi, sorry you had a hard day at work, the benefits of being retired are great. :bigsmile:

Birdie, congrats on the 3 pound lost, we knew it wouldn't be a problem for you. :flowerforyou:

I better get to bed, morning comes early.

Sandy
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Phoebe, Happy Belated Birthday, so sorry I am late!!! You birthday is the same as my sons, so I know you are a good person!!!

happy-birthday_animated_129.gif
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Happy Birthday Phoebe. a little late , but better than never. Hope you had a nice one.

Marie

ThNKS BARBIE FOR THE INF. ON SALT i DO KEEP MINE BELOW 1500 A DAY.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Phoebe!!!!!

Hello everyone else. Hope you are keeping cool!!!

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hey where are we all at.??????????????????????? I am running Late. Just barely got 1000 ateps in today. Not very avtive. too Hot.
    To hot to cook too. Wha'ts a fellow to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gonna be even hottter next week. Oh me .

Talk to you guys tomorrow.
    Marie
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Well, whatever I have been doing and not doing is not working for me! I finally got so hot in Phoenix that I just laid in my chair and watched T.V. The thermostat is set at 75 and we sweat when we try to do anything! So last weekend we went to Long Beach for the weekend and a Quilt show.....it was beautiful! Went back to Arizona for 1 night and now we are in San Diego...IT IS cold here. This is the coldest July on record and it is not unusual for the temp to be 65 and very damp. I'll take it for a while!

I love all of the pictures and am so sorry that you had the flood, Sandy! Loved seeing the pictures of the 2 Barbs, what fun! Loved the dogs too.

Marie, I will bet you are having fun with your new computer!

I am going to make goals for August and will do away with the excuses. I sent the pilate machine back but I have an ab rocket and the compact elliptical .
    Hi to everyone I missed, Jeffery, I see, as usual you are very busy, but sponges and snakes....what a combination!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sandi38--

Glad you found a way to keep cool, but sorry you had to leave your home to do it. Your little doggy is as cute as ever.:heart:

Marie--

Take it easy in the heat. Hope you are doing okay.:flowerforyou:

Everyone else, Happy Summer:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Happy Birthday, Phoebe, a bit late :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I took the girls to the dog park today for the first time since my crash with the big dog......we stayed half as long as usual and I walked about half as fast as usual but it was a good visit and the girls had fun.......I went to line dance again and sat out a few dances and didn't dance with my usual reckless abandon, but it was fun and my knee feels OK. Tomorrow will be a less active day.

:flowerforyou: Sandi, sorry it was so hot for you.

:flowerforyou: Marie, sorry the heat kept you down.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday Everyone!!

After a week with no air conditioning we are getting a new one installed today. :bigsmile: Thank goodness, because I felt like the bad witch from the North in the Wizard of Oz, and thought I was melting. :laugh: Luckily, we have ceiling fans and floor fans to keep us cooler, it helped somewhat.

The restoration people picked up all their equipment yesterday and everything is fine downstairs with no odor and/or mold.
    We had one of their guys come out to give us an estimate for tile, but I am going to go to Home Depot today to get a second opinion. Hopefully, within the next couple of weeks we should be back to normal. ( I will wait for Barb's remark)

Barbie, I am happy your knee is getting back to normal, I am sure those little critters of yours are wondering what is going on.
    I know Daisy is wondering what happened to our air, because she hates the heat. :ohwell:

Sandi, my son lives in Arizona and is here visiting for a while due to a change in jobs. Even with our AC broken he said it is not too bad in our house. :laugh: Try and stay cool and drink lots of water.

Marie, we are all here occasionally, I am sure with summer everyone is so busy. I try to check in everyday since it reminds me to stay focused on what I eat. My son is a healthy eater as far as eating no white flour so I have been making wheat pancakes for him and bought wheat bread, it reminded me that is what I am supposed to do, so he is good for me. :heart:

For all those missing in action, hope you are all doing well. Even if you have had some slips don't give up, come back and talk about it and we will try and get you back on focus.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

Sandy
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    A very quick Hi to you all. I should be making some lunch but it will wait. You always know that when I am missing, shamefully my diet has come off the tracks. I didn't get to my WW meeting this week and won't be able to go next week either. That is no excuse, really but it is what it is. I did get my chokecherry jelly made and now plan to make some blueberry jam and maybe plum jam. That should keep us going and give me some quick gifts when I want to give something to a friend. It will make the kids happy as well.

We are taking Neil to see his new home next week. He is quite excited about it but I do know it will be a bit diffiuclt for both of us.

Dave is down for lunch so I should pretend that I am busy. :laugh: Back later. Gayla:heart::smile:
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    I want to thank all of you who have expressed concern for me. Yes, I am into chemo now. I have had one session. I tolerated it pretty well. I feel tired a lot, but nothing I can't handle. I have a good support system in family and friends. I will appreciate your continued prayers.

We finally got a couple of cool days. We had a thunder and rain storm during the night. The rain freshened and settled everything . I grew up in rainy country, so I do enjoy the rain. And it always seems to give the garden and lawns a little growth spurt. I'm still waiting for my first ripe tomatoes. There are lots of them, just not turning yet.

OOPS! I just heard some thunder, so maybe this isn't over yet. The lightening strikes are the danger with everything so dry.

Have a good day...and God Bless!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I do like my new computer. But not to usf to it yet. Somehow or another.It got off of yahoo and got on google. and i can
    t get into a few things. But I still get my mail, MFP. Will have to wait till Alice comes out next weekend to get it back on. Also lost my speaker

I have been very productive today. chopped up a bunch of veggies to have ready to cook next week. I am doing pretty good on the SBD B ut useally do on the first 3 or 4 weeks. This is the first time I have really been on it. Who's know maybe I will stick with it. Hope so.

Barbie glad you are up to taking your Babies to the dog park. They are so cute in that last picture you post of them
    Gayla, you will get back on it soon. I sure do hope all work out fine with Neil and his new home. When will he move in?

Sandie I would like to see some 75 degrees temp instad of 105 that we have.. I have not stuck my head out of the door today. And not move around too much. Jerry fixed me a t v tray stand to chopped my veggies up.

Sandy, I remember last summer we all slow down on post ing and then started up with a bang when it got cooler. Glad you are gettin a new AC . Gayla sittin up there and don't have to rely on AC to keep cool. Who elde don't have to used AC in the summer.

Good takling to you all and Happy weekend Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    HelloHello Irene Look like we were posting at he same time, Just wanted to say Hi So glad you are feeling like to post. Take care.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Its me again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

MY THOUGHT FOR TODAY

"The smallest deed is better than the grandest intention."
    ~Roger Nash Baldwin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~so true~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~