Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Scared at what I am reading

Options
167891012»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rml_16 wrote: »
    d4_54 wrote: »
    Just eat enough that you are nourished. Be active, rest and repeat this.

Wow thank you for your insight. i didn't know how easy it was!! Someone call the media this man has found the solution to weight loss for every single person in the world! To those like me who don't overeat, are active, and still overweight. you must not be trying hard enough I guess.

If you're gaining weight you have been overeating above what your body needs, sorry to say. Laws of physics can't be circumvented, 1 pound of fat contains 3500 calories and those have to have gotten in there somehow.

True. But when you have certain health conditions, "above what your body needs" sometimes means more than 500 calories a day. So ... what do you suggest to those of use in that boat? Because for many years, if I eat more than that -- regardless of how much exercise I do -- I gain weight. Or at best, I maintain.

Yes, I use a food scale and measuring cups and spoons. I can lose weight if I starve myself. I can't lose weight if I don't. It isn't sustainable to eat below 1,000 calories a day. Please advise, master.

There is no medical condition able to make your calorie needs go down to 500 a day. That's newborn baby amounts.

Yes, dear. Yes, there is. I have one of them. But you're all-knowing so I bow to you. You know more than my endocrinologist, apparently.

I don't understand how it's physically possible (and I really mean "not possible because physics") for a human body to maintain essential organ function for 24 hours with just 500 calories. That's a BMR of 21 calories per hour. That simply defies my (admittedly basic) understanding of physics to a level where I'm comfortable saying that your numbers must be incorrect.

And if not, your numbers are so anomalous that they are irrelevant to 99.999999% of others...(and I'm fairly certain I'm at least another six 9's short in that too).

content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2013137,00.html

These 33 guys made it 17 days on a lot less than 500 calories daily. People have done 40 day water fasts.

It just is not healthy on many levels. The body has many sub systems that come on line to try and keep itself alive. Prisoner camps of the past is another example.

After 40 years of yo yo diets in Oct 2014 I decided never to 'diet' again because it had about killed me. By accident (cold turkey stopped sugar and all grains to try and manage joint pain) I found a macro that would let me eat all that I wanted to eat yet lose fat and gain muscle. While later I learned it was LCHF it might HCLF macro that works for another.

There is a huge difference between "making it 17 days" and having caloric needs of 500 calories. If someone's TDEE is 500 calories. They could eat 500 calories every day for the next 13505 days and not lose one pound.

Really?

Sorry but I was responding to @jofjltncb6 post.

And you misunderstood him.

w7k7chdzttnk.jpeg
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    d4_54 wrote: »
    Just eat enough that you are nourished. Be active, rest and repeat this.

Wow thank you for your insight. i didn't know how easy it was!! Someone call the media this man has found the solution to weight loss for every single person in the world! To those like me who don't overeat, are active, and still overweight. you must not be trying hard enough I guess.

If you're gaining weight you have been overeating above what your body needs, sorry to say. Laws of physics can't be circumvented, 1 pound of fat contains 3500 calories and those have to have gotten in there somehow.

True. But when you have certain health conditions, "above what your body needs" sometimes means more than 500 calories a day. So ... what do you suggest to those of use in that boat? Because for many years, if I eat more than that -- regardless of how much exercise I do -- I gain weight. Or at best, I maintain.

Yes, I use a food scale and measuring cups and spoons. I can lose weight if I starve myself. I can't lose weight if I don't. It isn't sustainable to eat below 1,000 calories a day. Please advise, master.

There is no medical condition able to make your calorie needs go down to 500 a day. That's newborn baby amounts.

Yes, dear. Yes, there is. I have one of them. But you're all-knowing so I bow to you. You know more than my endocrinologist, apparently.

I don't understand how it's physically possible (and I really mean "not possible because physics") for a human body to maintain essential organ function for 24 hours with just 500 calories. That's a BMR of 21 calories per hour. That simply defies my (admittedly basic) understanding of physics to a level where I'm comfortable saying that your numbers must be incorrect.

And if not, your numbers are so anomalous that they are irrelevant to 99.999999% of others...(and I'm fairly certain I'm at least another six 9's short in that too).

So you're telling me there's a chance?

ukv97euk17ca.png
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    jtegirl wrote: »
    I understand what you were saying in your op @d4_54 I myself don't like to say "diet', I say this is my lifestyle, I eat healthy. I eat a lot of calories compared to most women. They're all healthy calories for the most part. I do say "cheat meal" or "cheat day" that's just ingrained and a word I use. It drives me nuts when females restrict calories in an unhealthy way, go no carb, refuse to use weights because they think they'll get big or bulky and do tons of cardio. Lift those weights ladies! Muscle burns fat 24/7. Calories and carbs are not the devil as long as you're eating healthy cals and carbs. I wish I'd known that I could eat like this back when I was a teen, 20's etc. I used to restrict cals and would have been so much happier eating as much as I do now.

Same here. I wasted so many years caught in the restriction and binge cycle. Only to end up fatter each time. Now I eat enough and I am happier then ever. Not walking around tired and hungry.