Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Scared at what I am reading

Options

Replies

• PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    rileysowner. Yes, I do have a digital scale that I am using. For things like condiments though I am still using a teaspoon and tablespoon measuring spoon to do it.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    Yes...I have been eating less than 1200 the past several days.
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of comments some great and some quite cantankerous.

I guess all I can say is, if you are happy then continue to do what you are doing. If not, then change something but it's about happiness.

• PamWOhio
    Options
    Hey...ya got people talking....HAHAHAHAHA
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    rileysowner. Yes, I do have a digital scale that I am using. For things like condiments though I am still using a teaspoon and tablespoon measuring spoon to do it.
    Here's an easier and more accurate way for things that show grams in the nutritional information:

put the jar on the scale
    tare the scale (zero it out)
    take out how much you want
    put the jar back on the scale

You'll get a negative number for the number of grams that you've removed from the jar. That tells you how many grams you've used.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    I never thought of that seska422. THANKS
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have always said "diets" don't work, its the lifestyle that does. My lifestyle went south... by about plus 40lbs, lol. Changed the lifestyle and am almost back on track.
  • jtegirl
    jtegirl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I understand what you were saying in your op @d4_54 I myself don't like to say "diet', I say this is my lifestyle, I eat healthy. I eat a lot of calories compared to most women. They're all healthy calories for the most part. I do say "cheat meal" or "cheat day" that's just ingrained and a word I use. It drives me nuts when females restrict calories in an unhealthy way, go no carb, refuse to use weights because they think they'll get big or bulky and do tons of cardio. Lift those weights ladies! Muscle burns fat 24/7. Calories and carbs are not the devil as long as you're eating healthy cals and carbs. I wish I'd known that I could eat like this back when I was a teen, 20's etc. I used to restrict cals and would have been so much happier eating as much as I do now.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sometimes low carb works really well to help me maintain a calorie deficit. Sometimes it doesn't. It's not that it's necessary, it's that sometimes higher fat keeps me full for longer.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    To me, there's nothing wrong with the word "diet"; it's a prescribed (self-prescribed or doctor-prescribed) pattern of eating, for some purpose. For most of us, that purpose is weight loss. It's the single word that best explains "why I won't be having seconds."

But for some people, "diet" = "sadness." And weight management is a mental war game we all fight with ourselves, so for those who want to call it something else, I say "do what you have to do to win."

My one disagreement with those who use the particular phrase "lifestyle change," implying a permanent change, is that they omit the fact that a calorie deficit ought not be permanent. So I'm personally not a fan of that phrase, but who am I to judge?

The word "diet," outside of its stigma, also lacks the exercise component. You'll hear these people say "diet and exercise." I'm sure there's a single word that escapes me at the moment that accurately captures both. If not, and anyone can tell me of such a word in another language, I'll gladly use it from this moment forward.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »
    BreezeDoveal I appreciate you saying that about that point.

I just read in another debate someone saying that they had to "run 10 miles to eat 1 donut".

I was too coward to say anything. I was thinking what kind horrible existence is that? To enjoy a the occasional donut I have to run almost half a marathon. Wow

Which point? There are just so many gems to choose from..

Can you post the link to the donut thread. Having to run 10 miles for 1 donut does sound rather depressing and a tad over the top.

ETA: Never mind, found the donut thread

And some of us might have clearly said they didn't need an excuse to eat a donut. HA!

Kidding. At any rate, I get what you are saying OP. You seem to feel that losing weight should be intuitive. That all this counting calories and restricting foods is stupid. I agree with that.

Unfortunately, my intuition fails me on a regular basis. It says "You ran today....go ahead and drink all the beer you want." The whole 1200 calories thing is because we are all people who want instant gratification so we pick to lose 2lbs a week...As a woman, that is almost always going to boot your *kitten* to 1200 calories. Heck, I'm short so it puts me there even when I pick to lose 1.5lbs a week.

Yes, we do probably make weight loss harder than it has to be, but it's such a personal thing. You have to let people figure out what works for them. MFP's guidelines are just that. Suggestions.

@BreezeDoveal who put you behind bars? lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    BDonjon wrote: »
    To me, there's nothing wrong with the word "diet"; it's a prescribed (self-prescribed or doctor-prescribed) pattern of eating, for some purpose. For most of us, that purpose is weight loss. It's the single word that best explains "why I won't be having seconds."

But for some people, "diet" = "sadness." And weight management is a mental war game we all fight with ourselves, so for those who want to call it something else, I say "do what you have to do to win."

My one disagreement with those who use the particular phrase "lifestyle change," implying a permanent change, is that they omit the fact that a calorie deficit ought not be permanent. So I'm personally not a fan of that phrase, but who am I to judge?

The word "diet," outside of its stigma, also lacks the exercise component. You'll hear these people say "diet and exercise." I'm sure there's a single word that escapes me at the moment that accurately captures both. If not, and anyone can tell me of such a word in another language, I'll gladly use it from this moment forward.

I don't think people are talking about calories when they are talking about lifestyle change...they're talking about living life differently into perpetuity...making nutrition a priority...adopting healthy habits and making better overall decisions...making exercise a priority, etc. I don't think anyone is implying that a calorie deficit is the lifestyle change.

Four years ago I was 40 Lbs overweight...I was sedentary and could barely walk around the block due in large part to the fact that I was also a 2-3 PAD smoker...my diet (noun) was pretty shabby and substantially lacking in nutrition due in large part to a lack of fruits and vegetables and eating quite a bit of highly processed refined food goods.

Fast forward four years +...I'm a lean and fit 180 Lbs @ 12% BF...I lift 2-3x per week and cycle on average about 80-90 miles per week (except when I'm training for time trials) and participate in various races and other cycling events. I no longer smoke cigarettes (though I do enjoy a cigar most evenings on the patio) and my diet at large is on point and consists largely of whole foods and minimally processed food goods...usually around 6 servings of veg daily and a couple of servings of fruit...whole grains, legumes, and whole food starches, lean sourced protein and good fats from things like avocados and nuts and good cooking oils.

Yes...I lost weight while being in an energy deficiency just like anyone else...but that's not the lifestyle change...the above is the lifestyle change...I've maintained my weight loss going on 3.5 years and I don't log...because I adopted a new normal and substantially changed the way I was living my life.

Pretty much this. Yes. I'm at 14 years maintaining. By adopting a new normal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Lifestyle change.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Lifestyle change.

That's two words.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Appreciating.

Overtime you will notice its the same few posters who are

a)easily offended
    b)will argue for the sake of being PC
    c)least openminded and stuck in the processed food + CICO bubble

Ignore them and don't let those few stop you from voicing your opinions

You and the OP seem to be saying you see people posting different things. The OP is complaining that people suggest huge calorie deficits, overexercising, and eliminating sugar/carbs, etc. You're saying you see people post about CICO and being ok with eating processed foods. So I'm confused if you're agreeing or disagreeing with the original point.

Also, are these the same few posters who advocate for a moderate deficit appropriate for your goals? The same few posters who advocate exercising for health and muscle preservation, but making sure you eat enough calories to fuel your exercise? The same few posters who advocate for people eating diets they can adhere to, which can include ultra-processed food if they wish, because at the end of the day the laws of thermodynamics will determine if you lose weight and not the macro breakdown of your food? The same few posters who can back their points of view up with peer-reviewed studies and do so when asked?

What are your issues with the information you see posted? I've seen you complain quite a few times but have not seen you contribute in a positive fashion, so I'd really like to know what you think people SHOULD be advocating for.

For the record: not offended, and not arguing for the sake of being PC. Genuinely confused, because I'm not seeing what the OP or this quoted post are seeing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about this.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    Am I doing it wrong? I am not eating 1200 calories but would if I wanted more food. I am still fitting in a fast food burger or a processed frozen meal now and then along with all the healthier fresh lean meats. Unfortunately, I am not a fruit and veggie person so it makes it a little more difficult to "eat right" but what I am doing is working for me. I am not exercising a lot because I sat on my butt for 6 years..hardly leaving the house. I walk some but with the lower calorie intake I am not concerned with making sure I am doing a lot of it at this point. I used to eat ONLY processed food and take out and snacked ALL day. I have only been at this for 19 days and feel great. I started off being able to eat more calories but since then when I eat I am completely satisfied for long periods of time so I usually only eat 2 meals. I plan on incorporating more exercise once I get a bit more weight off but I would like to know if I am way off base here. Should we force ourselves to eat to get to a certain calorie amount even if we aren't hungry. I am only 5'3" tall and was 204.5lbs. I am down to 193. Oh...and I'm 47

People gave you some very specific explanations about why eating too little is unhealthy in your thread. Perhaps reviewing those suggestions would answer your questions about why it isn't good to consistently eat too little.