Sunrise! It's partly cloudy!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Mary love the pictures!
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy Friday to one and all here! - I have finally added a picture so people can see what I look like! It's a lovely fall day here in Toronto - and tomorrow is supposed to be even better! - I lost .4 this week and I will take it - the week before I gained 1.2 - it's been a slow process for me - but I'm ok pretty much. I am cutting my calories by a couple of hundred - I think I was eating too much. Anyway, I wanted to say hello to all here! Have a great weekend - if I don't get on here! :)
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

@Vicki sorry to hear about your mom.
    @kayla glad your phone is ok

Yesterday at work we took our group of clients to the botanical garden in Boise. It was rainy got bit chilly but so good to just walk around. I enjoy it myself seeing nature beauty. It was good physicality and emotionality!

So as much as I can will start back at the Y.

My surgery is set for the 24th of October it got moved in time to start at 10am. Than a 6/8 week recovery! I won't be able to get in the water but I can walk the track.

I hope everyone had a good Friday!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

We are having a cloudy day today but wish it would bring rain. We have had so little for 2 months. It is dry, dry, dry! Would those of you in the northwest like to share? Hope the storms are not too destructive. Sending prayers your way.

Gloria - prayers for you. It sounds like you are one strong lady.

Heather - sounds like you are very busy. Where are you planning to move? Who is the little one being christened? I'm sure your cake will be yummy.

Mary - love your pictures. I think that corn maize is just my speed!!

Lisa - another busy lady!!

Becca- enjoyed hearing your news about TOPS. I love my TOPS friends, too. They are with me through thick and thin (lol)

I am going grocery shopping and then to work.

Have a wonderful day, friends.

Toni in Tennessee
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Re – We live in the country and no gym for 25-30 miles; and, right now, I am ‘not’ supposed to be driving. On this ‘driving restriction’ I really have had to drive; but, I try not to go into town; but, just on the NW side of Albany to go to the MD. I have NO idea why I made an 8:15AM appointment for a follow-up; I will have to leave her between 7:30 - 7:15AM to get there, even earlier to get dressed. I thought DH had an appointment that day with a ‘new’ Urologist; but he is saying it is the 26th. But, either way, I will meet him there.

Katla – I think DH and I are going to have to order one of those ‘low profile’ box springs to lower our bed sooner than later. Ours is about 4' high to get up in; because of the thick mattress and box springs and DH had raise it 4” by putting fence tops on the legs so our skirt would not fold up on the floor. It is 22" long, which means I might have to hem it. I might just take it to the tailor and tell him to just hem it up however many inches it need to be done. If DH paints the room the color I want him to, then it will still go with that color; or else I will order one that fits. One that I won’t need to change for Spring and Summer. One thing I wish my mattress had was those handles; but, it does not need to be ‘flipped’ since it is a pillow top.

Becca – He is your ‘baby’; that is why you are ‘hovering’; it is difficult on you when you ‘baby’ leaves home. Mine went to college, first in Valdosta. There is a little town within the city limits of Valdosta (Remington) that has a liquor store on every corner; and, also a police car on each corner. He got stopped several times after going in them to buy beer. His first year he was about a year too young. They stopped him and charged him with ‘open container’ even though he did not have one in his hand; but, several in the back of his jeep that he had drunk earlier. He got stopped, because they knew his Jeep, so much that when he appeared in front of the Judge again; he got ‘banned’ from the county. So he came home and went to work; and, then decided that he did NOT want to work like that (inside, most of the time); and delivering big sheets of glass to be put in places like store fronts. He did not like the pay either. He and his boss were talking about what he really wanted to do and that was getting a job that he could work outside and fish and hunt whenever he could. He suggested to him that he might want to go get a degree in “Wildlife Management and Biology/Science."

He had finally decided that would be what he wanted to do. His boss was a 'big hunter'. He told him the best schools were University of Pennsylvania or Mississippi State for the type of degree he'd need. He definitely did not want to go up north because of the snow; so we took him out to Starkville and he looked around, so that is where he enrolled. First year he had to pay ‘out-of-state’ tuition; the rest of the time he didn’t, because he had become a resident of MS by getting his DL renewed there and registering to vote and he also went to summer school; but, it was still a 5-year program.

We helped with rent and car payments and utilities; the tuition was his responsibility. The Wildlife campus was separate from the main school and he had worked with the woman who did all of the transcript requests; and, I think she ‘loved DYS’ from the first day. He 'charmed' her and we just watched him do it. All his credits transferred but one; and it was a class that would not have transferred to any college or university anyway. So he had all his core classes behind him. He loved it and at a job fair in his Junior year he was offered a job; but, told the man that he could not take it because we’d kill him if he dropped out during that year. He was told to come back the next year and he would get the job. It was actually an internship at first; but, became full-time after that. He was required to have an internship before graduation. This man is a world renown Wildlife Biologist who lives in MO; but, DYS worked in TX for his internship. He now works for 5 men and loves it, especially since he married our DDnL#2 and they love her, too. She never meets a 'stranger'; I guess it is because of her job as a cosmetologist. We’re all glad you are ‘back’, well sort of 'back'.

They held an auction at a church I had attended for a while; donated 2 pictures to the cause; pastor said that an ‘artist’ bought them; I know she bought them for the frames; and she could have painted over the pictures. I’ve done the same and bought a picture for its ‘oval’ frame. Saw a set of 6 mugs and gave money to a friend who was going to attend; she bid $3 and got them. I had given her $10 and said that I wanted them, if she could get them for that price or lower. I really did not expect to get them; but, I did and I love them. Holds about a cup-and-a-half.

Gloria – My favorite sweet wine is a Monsanto; they have a ‘pink’ kind; but, we never have tried it. I like an occasion glass every now and then; but, I really love a Bloody Mary especially if they are made right. I also will drink a Martini; but, not ‘straight up’; it has to have a flavor; like a pomegranate or cranberry.

My best friend’s grandson, who she raised from the time he was a toddler; is a drug addict and has been ‘in jail’ several times. The next time, he might have to go to ‘prison’. He removed his ankle bracelet the day before he was supposed to get it off. The Sheriff's Deputy came to the house to pick him up; and she did not know he had removed it. They found it on the dining room table. When he asked her where he was, she told him, probably anywhere that drugs were sold, in that county or the next one. Then he got arrested for shoplifting. He was supposed to pick her up from work at 6:30; and by 8:30 when he had not showed up she called the jail to see if he was there. She then asked where her car was; and, he told her probably still in the store's parking lot. I figured he probably had done drugs the night before and would not have passed the pee test. She is an enabler big time; which does not do him any good; she ‘swears’ that he will not ever live with her again, because he steals things to pay for his drug habit. But, she keeps letting him stay there and then 'lies' to me about it. He had his truck stolen by the guy that was not charged with drinking; and he got very belligerent with the officer when he asked if he had been drinking. So needless to say, they arrested him. The guy took the truck, which got stolen (or so they say). Then she rented a car and let him use hers. I told her she was ‘crazy as a loon’; then the rental car went missing. I am surprised that her insurance company did not cancel her. I asked her once why she gave him her car (a Beemer). She told me she did not want him to come to her office and make a scene if she did not do it. Both of her sisters will not take him in because he stole from them … how he got $200 out of one’s bank is a mystery to me. He used to be a ‘good kid’. He is still polite to me; but, when he came banging in with another druggie to find things he could pawn, I was very uncomfortable since I did not know the other one. After they left, I called her and raised hell because they had come to her condo. She said she was surprised that he came, she had told him I was staying there. I saw her car pull up; but, thought she had just come home early. She asked if he had gone upstairs, which he hadn’t; but, he did get as far as the landing when he saw his camera in the chair next to it. I won’t stay there again, even though he is supposedly in jail. I know as soon as he is giving bail, she will let him come stay at the house. Last time, he bought his ‘girlfriend’ and she stole some of her ‘new’ clothes. I would have had them arrested. One day, when she was driving me around to do errands, he was ‘in the car’ when she picked me up and I did not even recognize him. He wanted her to take him someplace and drop his off. She said it looked exactly like a ‘crack house’. I would have told him to get out of the car at the place I was at, and WALK there.

Glad that your DGS did what he was supposed to do, and standing you ground was good to do, too!

Cracker got sick the other night when she was crated and pooped in it and on her pad; but, she pushed the pad out of the way; but, apparently, she was whining and DH got up to check on her. He came back to bed and told me that I would need to wash it out in the morning. She must have gotten into something when she was outside.

Lisa – The land, you could put your RV on; and the house would need to have a lot of ‘flipping’ done; but, it certainly has a lot of potential if y’all are DIY kind of people. Personally, I would go nuts living in an RV; but, I am claustrophobic. Pricewise, they both seem very reasonable. Good luck in making a choice.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: It is great that your TOPS group is such a positive part of your life. Yay! :bigsmile:

Gloria in WA: I'm sorry that your son has relapsed with the Meth problem. My cousin's son had a meth problem, went to prison due to being with some "friends" while they were committing a crime, and is now back in the community. I don't know how he is doing. I don't think he has contact with his dad, but may be closer to his mom. Meth is such a horrid thing. :broken_heart: Your grandsons are so lucky they have you in their lives! :heart:

Mary: Welcome to Oregon! It looks like you'll be here just in time for a nasty storm. Right this minute it is overcast but not still raining. It looks like more rain is definitely in the near forecast. :ohwell: I hope the weather treats you well while you are here. (((hugs)))

Heather: We must be on a similar wavelength. We had salmon and brussels sprouts last night! Yummy! :bigsmile:

Liz in Caldwell: I've been to the Boise Botanical Garden with DSIL and DH's cousin a couple of times, once in summer and once during the Christmas season. It is a fabulous place! I'm happy to hear that your surgery has been set. Getting through that will be a huge stress reducer. :heart:

Time for yoga! :bigsmile:

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gloria, I am so sorry about your son. We all know that sometimes love has to be tough love although I have never had to practice it. I threatened to one time and couldn't pull it off.I don't know what our family would do it my two nephews ever relapsed. One nephew has been clean for 16 years, the other 2 years. Both of them have totally immersed their clean lives into efforts of rehabilitating others. Of course some of the ones they work with are active users and have some stories that can be quite a burden for some one else to listen to and help in carrying. We rejoice in the fact that they are presently clean and in a split second something can happen to break that. I pray for you, your family and especially your son to not only go back to his clean state but to understand his Mom and where she stands.

I think we may be going somewhere with my husbands fear or whatever it is my husband has in not changing his ileostomy bag. He is willing to change it today with my supervision with the promise that he will change it sometime by himself. But this is a big sep for him. I just hopes he keeps his promise that he will do the other part. We did get our first supply of what we found as our favorite bag so maybe it will help that he knows he isn't just doing a bag change with a sample bag but HIS bag. Am I trying to put to much into this??? I do try to analyze a bit to much.

I am so jealous of my sister. My dad grew up in Albert Lea Minn and we went there every summer. Our favorite cousin was Carol and her husband doesn't mind at all to travel and stay with family and jsut enjoy the stay. Charlie travels to go to a destination, not a relatives house. Plus interacting for a full week with a relative is just not his cup of tea. But my sister is leaving tomorrow and will be there a full week. I can just hear the giggles, smell the home made bread and all the goodies she will make. She has been so busy canning her fruits and vegetables and that's what she cooks with. Ohhh, how good it all sounds. And the hugs. Well, I will be here, helping my husband put on his own ileostomy bag and helping him instead.

JOyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Joyce - I am sorry that your husband won't learn to change his bag himself. You show how committed you are for doing that for him. I'm hoping that my DH does not have to have a permanent catheter put in; I am not sure that either of us would be able to change it ourselves. He asked me the other night if I thought that maybe his problem was kidney stones and I told him that they way he moaned and groaned up for 5 hours at a time, I would not be surprised if he did.

Lenora
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora,as infrequently as a catheter has to be changed when it is permanent, a home health care of doctor's office might be able to do that.But that was the norm back when I was working and I stopped working in 1999! All I know is that I HATED to catheterize a man.But it was mainly because of the particular anatomy and how it had to be manipulated to put it in. And older men who had prostate problems was really hard. For home care, I'm sure it would have to take as much love as expertise doing it. I know you have one of those.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Joyce - Definitely have the 'love'; but, the first time he yells out in pain, I would have to take him somewhere, MD's office or ER (which could get expensive). I just would hope that he would not turn into a total Grinch if it comes to that. His Dad had chosen a more extensive way to deal with his prostate cancer; maybe it was the only choice. DH had the radiated seeds put in; and, his PSA has been .01 or less.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Joyce – great pictures!

Janetr – good news, but frustrating…. Not knowing exactly is a drag…

Glo - I am so pleased to hear you made a rule, and stuck to it…. Your job is not to be their friend but to be a parent. You are doing the right thing…. LATER So glad to hear that counseling worked well, and that you got a hug and music tests…. And sorry to hear about your son, good job on putting your foot down on the idea of him coming to your place.

Lisa – those prices are AMAZING !!! ok maybe retirement means I have to leave CA I love the church… but I am sure you and hub could make the other place amazing too. If I moved from here and was able to buy at those prices I could afford to hire someone to make the house exactly how I wanted it to be…. hmmm

Barbie you are doing so well!!! Remember to not push too hard…

Heather – you’ll do great at making bees if you have to…Getting everything in line for a move is a big job, but it can be accomplished. How long have you been in your current home?

We got a nice amount of rain today, our first measurable rain since May… it was really nice, and a bit early for us. I worked in the garden this morning then home and it started raining. I have made a couple of things from the hairy biker cookbook and was disappointed in the Chicken Korma (Heather have you tried that one?) I’ll be making Spanish chicken for tomorrow, it sounds good – it has chorizo in it…

Becca – your son will miss the mothering when he’s in the navy, as no one will mother him then.

Well off to bed!

October Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with friends 2 times….
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    <3