WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I hope you stay safe and warm with no power outages. We are roughly 60 miles by road from the coast. So far we have a gray day, a drizzle of rain, and no noteworthy wind. The forecasters say it will get windy later in the afternoon. I would be happy with a "no big deal" sort of a day. I wonder whether we'll be that lucky. :heart:

Katla in overcast and barely drizzly NW Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ladies!! Storm ONE has come and gone. A city about 30 minutes further south from us, (Manzanita) got the tornado. No injuries, but a lot of clean up. We have had rain from Wednesday evening, really bad winds Thursday and thunder & lightning. On Friday husband went out and about for a docs appointment in Seaside, but not as windy, just rain.
    The bridge walk scheduled for Sunday has been cancelled. All the schools' football games, and Saturday games were cancelled. Storm Two that was supposed to come last night, pretty much petered out.
    It was crazy seeing Ping-Pong ball sized hail come down Thursday night! Everyone seemed to take this storm in stride though. No drama, its the coast.

I had bought a photo box for my middle son on Wednesday, so I worked on that on the rainy days. I have been going thru all the photo albums and took out his baby pictures. I am up to age 6 yrs old! Taking them out of the photo albums sticky pages make the back of the photos sticky, so I put a large index card on the back. I used little squares of tape that come in a roll to attach them. That way I could write the info down. I wrote in pencil because I figured after a couple of years the ink of the writing could bleed onto the photo it was facing. He can put down things he remembers about each photo too. I also put in file (ish) separators. ( Just two index cards together making it taller in the box then the photos). On that I put the address and dates we stayed in the apartment/houses. I also put a couple of the "kids room" photos, so he can always remember what his past rooms looked like. One was a set of 3 pictures (old school method of panoramic photo capturing). I kept them all together after I peeled them off the sticky page. Then put the index card in front of it as a template and got as much of the picture as I could, cutting it with scissors. I worked on this project until about 12:30 am last night!! It was quiet and methodical... He really had a fun life! Many pictures of him and his older brother, and younger brother. He was close to his older brother as he was growing up, then was close to his baby brother as he was growing up. Is really was touching to see. I remember telling my oldest son, that how you treat your younger brother determines how his younger brother would treat the youngest. Set an example. Be the brother with good actions so the other brother will mirror that on to the youngest. There were times that all three shared a "sleeping room" so that they could use the other room as a play room. Now that took a lot of acceptance from each of them. There was a picture I put in my middle sons box that shows a picture of his bed. He is sleeping, with his younger brother (our teenager now) lying there opposite, his head next to middle sons feet. Even though the youngest son had his own bed, we found them sleeping together the next morning often. The fact that my sons were born so far apart (1989, 1994, 1998) makes how they dealt with each other, that much more special.

My eldest son called yesterday, and he is in Fallon NV, doing work up training until his ship in Virginia goes out for deployment. He said they are working them ragged, with 14 hour shifts. His room mate was out drinking with his friends, and my son decides to call his momma..... He isn't a drinker, which I am glad for. Sadly, with sailors, going out and partying means that the one not drinking gets the job of helping all the drunks back to the barracks, or ship. After so many times, you just say its not worth the hassle.
    So he was telling me about the fact that his little cute truck died, and his scooter is unpredictable, and the trip during Dec. might be dicey. He had stated that he would be carrying extra parts in his backpack, and extra petrol on the sides of this moving hunk of metal/scooter down the road. Oh way to keep your momma worried son!! I suggested that he look into renting a car. He said, "Oh I didn't think of that option". I said, the weather is sometimes unpredictable, you travel time would be cut in half (or more) and you can travel with security. (Not to mention keeping me sane!). Yay me on giving him that option!!

Becca
    looking at gray skies on the
    Oregon coast.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your appreciation of Bea's cake. I would have liked to put flowers and butterflies etc down the sides, but I have to have space to grip and lift the top tier off for transporting it and reassembling it at the venue. If we were having it at home I could have added stuff. Maybe less is more. :*:)

In our family at the moment my son has left his job through depression and anxiety without one to go to, DH's daughter has just handed in her notice under profound stress and my DSIL is on medical leave due to job stress. She may quit.
    My younger son did that last year and it all worked out OK.
    Is it that there is generally more stress in the workplace than there used to be, or is it that, today, people won't put up with the s**t and misery that people used to?
    I'm just interested that there seems to be a trend. We used to secure a new job before we left the old one. My OS has three months pay to get himself together, but that doesn't last forever. I haven't heard from him for a while. I always worry. :|:'(

Love to all, Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stat for the day:
    jog - 2hrs, 5.2-5.7 sp for 1st mi then 6.2-7.0sp for remainder,9.35ap, 156mhr, 12.5mi = 1229 total cal
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    PT exercises 3x - 80 minutes
    Ice 3x - 60 minutes

but according to my fitbit which went a bit whack-o today I walked 17 miles! lol

Marcelyn in Houston
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Have you ever seen those food transporters that are pegboards? You set the food on the pegboard and then position the pegs around the container to keep it from sloshing around or sliding. I tried to find a picture but couldn't find one. Rather clever idea, I have seen them at the Craftsmen's Classic Craft Show at Christmastime before.

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Options
    There is a big storm coming in from the Pacific. Right now it is windy here but nothing too strong. The wind seems to be coming from the east, not the west. I didn't expect that. Perhaps it is circling. For now we are safe and warm. :bigsmile:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Stay safe to all our north westerners facing storms. NYKAREN
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    Hi all: We have rain here today and some wind but not too bad at least yet. We have lost power once for only a short time. There is some flooding on the Snohomish river but not our immediate area. We have lost at least one tree or large branch. We heard it but not sure where it fell, not near our buildings. Horses are doing well mostly staying in the shelter but it is really muddy in the paddock and pasture. Sounds as if the Pacific Northwesterners are doing okay so far. Hope it continues and all are safe.

Mary - Hope you are staying safe and enjoying your trip.

Toni - Would love to send some of this rain your way.

Heather - Such a cute cake!!

Sending healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Heather – Beautiful cake! We’ve lived in the country for going on 15+ years. I thought I would ‘hate’ it; but, for the quiet, it is more than I could imagine. It’s been hard to make friends; and, the one friend I had here, moved to her grandmother’s house 50 miles away. I was her Maid of Honor at her wedding and she had her husband then got a divorce. I think the 17 years difference in their age was probably a lot of it (among other things). I wish we had moved out here when my children started HS; but, we didn’t. I was working and I really did not want to commute and all my MDs but one are in Albany. We’re over 6 miles to the nearest store, and since I don’t drive at night (when I am supposed to drive) it means we usually wait until the next day. One thing I used to do is go out on the steps of the back door, turn my phone on and see what was being said between 2 (obvious) MDs on my cellphone. They can’t hear me; but, I can hear them as clearly as if I was talking to one of them. One is obvious home and drunk as a skunk. They talk about the same patient who each think is a P.I.T.A. Haven’t been doing that lately. When we go to the school’s football game, we see a lot of other grandparents whose children’s children go to the same school as our grandchildren so we get to see people that live in Albany and knew. Some are some of DH's customers. I’m going to a Women’s Retreat next month so I will see several of my friends and old neighbors.

janetr - I sort of think having to change times can be a real pain, while I enjoy the evenings being longer; I am not looking for them to be shorter. Takes a week to get my bearings back to normal. When the time falls back, I generally over-sleep.

Carol – I am definitely a ‘home body’; and, it doesn’t matter to me either. I miss going to church more than anything; Mass, to be more specific.

Katla – I am surprise to hear that there are tornadoes in Oregon. I did not think they ever were in that area. I know that we sometimes have them.

Becca – My DGDs are all 5 years apart; and, the girls that are the oldest one’s sisters are also 5 years apart. At least they won't have 2 in college at the same time.

Went to a baby shower for my DBnL’s granddaughter today. If I had been a ‘candy eater’ before; I would not be one now. They had several games. One was to take a ribbon and try to guess how big around she was. She was sitting next to me; but, I took a piece of tape that was about 3” longer than she was around. Then we had a box that if there was anything blue in the presents she was opening you had to pass it to the next person. I won that one; and it was a little make-up type kit, that was about the size of a small diaper; so I gave it to Devin to use. I figure I have enough make-up containers over the years. Now, the one that made me ‘never’ want to look at another candy bar – not that I eat that much candy … was they take 5 diapers and 5 different chocolate bars, melt the bars and pour them into the diapers. Then you passed the diapers around and you were supposed to figure out what kind of candy was ‘in the diaper’. I got 3 out of the five of them. I don’t know who came up with that idea for a game for a shower; but, it got a lot of laughs, especially when someone put it up to their noses to smell before they tried to guess. My boys were both nursed, so they poop was not like that for a long time. They sent a little card with the invitation so that whoever brought a package of diapers of any size they would draw the name out of the hat. I don't remember who won that game. I’m glad that I went, got to meet a lot of Paul’s family and found out that one lived for a while in the same county I grew up in. But, she was born the year I graduated from HS, so I would not have known her. She was the step-mother of the Daddy (Paul).

They are going to have a beautiful little girl. Devin has done some modeling; and, Paul is just very dark with black hair and dark eyes. He is the one that is going to medical school at the University of Florida and she is a science teacher. The ladies that she taught with before they moved, all went in together and got her some really cute things. That is one little baby that will be dressed cute every day for a long time. She had pictures of the nursery but I did not get to see them. She said it was navy, white, and gray.

Hope you are having a good weekend and that those in the path of the bad storms stay safe and dry. Those that are recuperating from surgery are healing quickly.

Got to go for my weigh-in on Tuesday; but, I am not sure how I will do. Went shopping for Fall clothes (actually tops) that I can wear with the long pants that I already have. Got a pair of brown ankle boots, too. I thought I would never wear a pair of them; but, I changed my mind. I really think they are going to be very popular this year. They’ve got chunky heels so I should be able to walk in them. Did not have any trouble at the store, and I did a good bit of walking around in them. I have 2 others pair of boots; but, they are lower and a different color as well.

Guess I will read more of my book that is due back to the library on Tuesday.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :) So far the storm hasn't been too big here. It has been windy and rainy and a lot of branches landed on our roof and deck this afternoon, but no damage, just messy.

:) Another day in a nightgown, jacket, and lap blanket, walking in 5 minute segments in the house. A line dance friend called and then stopped by to drop off homemade carrot soup and apple pie--a perfect meal to eat after our three hour afternoon nap.

<3 Barbie from beautiful stormy NW Washington t110011.gif
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Better late than never for a post---

Thinking of all of you in the storm's path. Hope when all is said and done you're not too soggy or windblown.....

Barbie - Keep on truckin'. It sounds like you are being very patient during your recovery.

Heather - love your creation for Bea! It is Bea-utiful! It sounds like your relocation would be such a positive step for you even though it might take a lot of work.

I worked a double shift today 8-6. Such a long day..... Can't believe I would ever fuss about those hours when I was teaching. Most days then were 7-5 then 1-3 hours more grading papers in the evening. I only allowed myself time off on Saturdays.
    Spoiled senior here!

Time for bed in Tennessee
    Toni
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    We had blustery wind here today, but it was not worrisome. The storm didn't do any damage at our place, and I am grateful. The biggest problem for us was that our Halloween Ghost blew over, and that isn't really a problem at all. It is back up in its spot and all is well. Others were not so lucky. There was significant damage over at the coast yesterday. Two tornadoes damaged homes at Manzanita, a coastal town south of Cannon Beach. My heart goes out to families whose homes were damaged. :heart:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

All of you Northwesterners stay safe. In Idaho just getting some rain nothing like other places.

My daughter asked for us go to dinner! She offer to pay! Her favorite is Golden Corral. At first I was like no not there! But I was able to work the plan stay on track. Left not feeling stuff. And had a lovely visit with my daughter.

Today my DH really took on the Honey dew list.
    He got the kitchen painted and replace the faucet in the bathroom. I love when we can get things done !

Today was a lovely day! I was glad to be a part of it!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Glad you are safe in the PNW. Hope that's the last of it. <3

Just got to glam up a bit today. Nothing fancy, but I like to look nice. My ex and family will be there, so I like to look good. >:)
    I hope to hear their latest about a projected move to Scotland. The wife will be going up to Glasgow and weekly commuting for a high powered job until their oldest has taken some exams in 18 months time. Then they all hope to move up.
    I don't know if they have heard about our move. :* With two teenage children my ex is not the most active grandparent and he will be a single parent for much if the time. Oooooops! At 69 and not in good health. Oooops! >:)

Going to have a loooovely bath today after exercising and kettlebell.

KetoneKaren - Yes I have seen those, but the cakes seem happy enough on their non slip mat. It's a kind of sticky, web thing that's meant to go under carpets. I worry more about the decorations falling off, or the ribbon coming off. I have my repair kit with me! :D

Love Heather UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Heather - truly a lovely cake. I've decorated a few, but only tried marzipan once, and you do a beautiful job with it.

Barbie - glad you're doing OK, weather-wise and recovery-wise!

Woke up thinking about patterns, and will probably write my op/ed column on them... don't know where it will take me in 800 words, but those are always the fun ones to write--when the words take me somewhere, instead of having a destination in mind to start with.

Have to write that, then off to the laundromat, which is a two-hour ordeal, then back to get a few more things done at the warehouse. It's coming along... but still lots to do.

My husband reminded me that we don't have to move in one single trip, we can take two trips, so that takes a lot of pressure off of deciding what to keep and what not to keep. Which affects the sale--as I want to get everything sold that will not go with us, and don't want to sell anything we might need in another place... but everything has to go in weatherproof bins, as I don't know if we're going to be able to store anything at all, because we don't even know if we'll have to a building to store it in until we pick a given place. The logistics are a tad mind-boggling.

All of this, of course, being fully dependent on selling the warehouse, which we don't even know will go through at this point...

sfl45q9gxwux.jpg

Later, ladies...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ well Tom and I got up once each with Chester so feel a bit more rested..full moon out and it is chilly so there is a ring around it.. just beautiful..
    dont know what the plans are today.. but sure it will be work filled..