WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Heather – the Spanish chicken turned out great!!!! I love it and will do it again. I understand the joy of being able to walk to get milk or other “staple” it is hard to find in CA, I am lucky enough to be a 6-7 min walk to a decent grocery.
    Oh what a wonderful cake!

Stress at work is at an all time high here – granted I left corporate about 5 years ago, but most of my clients are in corporate America – and they are finding the stress crazy, threats of layoffs, requirements to be available via cell 24 hours a day… one of my clients is off on stress leave her boss regularly called her will work to be done by 8 or 9 am, and the calls would come in around midnight…. So she have to work through the night….

Glo – I know we are not the local support system to take the kids for a bit, but please turn to us when virtual support will help.

Lisa – I want to come live near you, and help with the garden, smoking, canning!
    - I don’t know cost or availably in TX but here there are things called pods, it’s kinda like the back of a 16 wheeler truck, you pack it up, they take it away and then deliver it where and when you want…

Karen – hang in – I managed to have ½ of a piece of French toast without syrup yesterday, which was a win for me….

Katie – great pic of your family
    Rori – what a beautiful picture, the reflection is beautiful.

Unlike the PNW in the SF bay area we have just had 3 days of beautiful rain! It rained and rained yesterday and a good part of today… I loved it… I did go to my favorite thrift store today and got a new slicker, as mine was a woman’s XXlg - way too big, so I found one it is a men’s medium and long in the sleeves but fits the rest of me well, and just $8 so I felt like that was a win. Tomorrow is a day in the garden with the Park Rangers – there are 12 rangers coming from other parks to trim the trees, I’ve made coffee cake and will brew coffee… maybe there will be a cute single one (or two – LOL)

I’ve bought tickets for the Harry Potter symphony – it is Halloween weekend, and I talked to my god son’s girl friend to take the two of them as a birthday surprise for him, there was some sort of work conflict, so she ended up telling him, WELL he worked it out with his boss, and they are flying in before the symphony then home after… They live in Seattle. They’ll have a long day, I hope it is worth it… it will be fun to see them.

October Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with friends 2 times….
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: I love your picture with Diamond Head in the background. I was there when I was 17, and have never had the chance to go back. :ohwell: It is a memory I treasure. :bigsmile:

Barbie: It sounds as though the storm in your area was quite intense. Im glad you're fine. It hammered parts of the Oregon coast and Portland, but we had no serious problems. It was a bit windy, but not destructive here. :bigsmile:

Pip: Yay for the replacement phone! :smiley: I'm sorry it was a long day. :ohwell:

I just had a long chat with my former neighbor and plan to see her on a regular basis. We'll be meeting for walks on Tuesday's and Thursdays. Three cheers! I may have time for one or two walks before I go to Illinois to be with my daughter for the birth of her baby. Yay!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Karen - Your airplane breakfast reminds me of the one we were presented with in our hotel in Cordoba. I could hardly believe it! I went to the desk and asked if they could at least get me wholemeal rolls and cheese for the next morning. They did. :)

Rori - What fabulous photos. B) It all looks sooooooo sophisticated and lovely. Nice to see you and your DH. <3

I am awake in the night - again. :'( Having a bit of worry about DOS. My ex and I chatted about him a bit, which must have set me off worrying. My ex knew a lot more than I did about what has been going on at his work. My son is a designer and very good at it, but his mental health is vulnerable. My ex seems to think he can find another high powered job, or sue the company he used to work for. I think he doesn't need the stress and would do better to take a lower stress job for less money. At the moment he is living on the three months salary they gave him. Plus he now has the two dogs to consider.
    You just want them to be happy don't you, or, at least, happy-ish. He is going to be 40 in November. At his age I was in turmoil over my marriage.

DH has been having backache in the night, so I suggested he buy a new mattress. We currently have a zip-and-link superking bed, but his side is a softer one. Too soft. I have given him some money towards a really good one as his birthday present. It arrives next week and they are taking away the old one for a fee. His birthday is today and I have got him presents to open. He wants to go to the zoo, which is near here, and I will get some fillet steak out of the freezer for his dinner. <3

Love to all. Back to bed now. It was nice to hear the names at the christening - Beatrice Heather Molly. :D<3

Heather UK
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Aw Carol....Sorry your husband was a "negative Nancy" on your drive there and back... I would call him out on it. If it were me, (and I know most aren't thank Goodness) I would have just said in a neutral tone, "Well there are many out in the world that would love to ride in a car, travel places but they are homebound". Maybe that might put some realistic perspective in his negativities! I'm just saying.... (((((((hugs)))))) I try to focus on the positive, and when I think negative I keep my mouth shut when I am the passenger. There was a time when I could not say anything driving related, because I was a non-driver. Now I can comment on this driver or that. I still catch myself in a deep inhale when he parallel parks because TO ME he looks like he is going to hit the left side bumper of the car we are parking in front of. He hates that. I can't help it!
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay, Ladies. Just spent the last hour and a half reading through. There is so much happening with all of you that there is no way to comment on it all.
    Liz in Ohio - Praying for the best possible outcome for you. It is always a good plan to educate yourself as much as possible.
    Heather - I always enjoy travelling via your photos. Being a parent never stops no matter how old our children are, we love them and want only the best.
    Vicki Grand Island - I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom. It is amazing how much that hurts us.
    Joyce - I'm not scared of snakes but I don't really like handling them. Good for you and the granddaughter though!
    Katla- Wouldn't that be perfect if you could exercise someone's horse? My cousin just brought her new horse home. Piccola aka Pixie is being naughty at the boarding stable (she decided to eat some of the boards). I would love to take her for a run but the doctors say they still (as in forever) want me to stay away from that. I grew up riding and I miss it.
    Mary from Minnesota - Now that's the Corn Maze I should have done. A group of us did the local Corn Maze a few weeks back. We finally bungled our way out after many wrong turns and much laughter. Not sure which of us is planning the November adventure or if any of us will have time running up to Christmas.
    Gloria - Tough love is so hard on us. Our son has now been clean and sober for 12 years.
    DrKatiebug - Love your photo with the grandkids. I see Batman is there with you.

Went to Jesus Christ SuperStar last night. Quite enjoyed it. We were supposed to go out for supper beforehand but DH ran late so we ended up going to A&W because we didn't have time for a "real" restaurant. I was okay with it but wondered if it was a plan when he pulled out a coupon. The show was very good but it was soured for me a little when DH decided to share with me that his ex had the album and then the fact that she used to sing some of the songs. Me too but did I really need that tidbit of information? I know that we have all been in touch since the suicide of her 3rd husband and then her youngest son in less than a year. I am okay with that but these walks down their memory lane? Am I being petty that it bothers me a bit?
    Today in an effort to make up for the lack of proper dinner last night DH took me to Denny's for brunch. It was terrible and so was the service but the thought was there. We went out to our friend's farm to gather up some barnwood that our talented daughter is going to make into a funny chicken sign for said friend's 70th birthday.
    Stopped at my sister's and for whatever reason we were very snappish with each other. I am not proud of myself. DBIL is on his four days off and looking forward to spring and the end of his Texas days. We went to the Magnificent Seven with our friends followed by left over chili and biscuits at our house. It was too windy to walk.
    oh, my, I should have checked the time. Off to bed for me, work comes too early
    -Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, ladies...

Loving all the pics!

Our DD and her little family went on a road trip yesterday and checked out a couple places for us--the one that we actually liked the placement of geography-wise was too far down a dirt road for our comfort. We want to have the choice to put up a farmstand if we choose, and that's going to mean being somewhere near a paved highway... It was a very Goldilocks kind of day... because the other was right on a paved road, just a bar ditch between the front porch and the highway. The more we look at (or get them to look at), the more we know what we want, as well as what we don't want.

However, we think we can both get an extra day on the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and go up and stay with her, do some exploring on the Friday and Saturday before heading back Saturday afternoon. The paper usually goes to press on Wednesday, but it will be Tuesday that week, so I should be able (hopefully) to take Wednesday off, and Corey thinks he will be able to talk them into it at his work as well. It may well be an unpaid day or two for both of us, but worth it. Her husband tested for airborne, and will be in training in North Carolina over the holiday, so she's happy to know she'll have family there for the holiday. We haven't seen the grandkids in more than a year, so it's about time! It's about a 14-hour drive, so we'll be driving all day Wednesday, but can split the drive into two days on the way back. Fingers crossed for no snow!

Got all the tables up in the warehouse, now it's just a matter of getting everything sorted into like kinds on the tables, then pricing. Hundreds of items--and my husband has said he wants to sell his mechanic tools - something I never thought I would see... I'm going to put a steep price on them, though--the toolbox, which is five feet tall and nearly four feet wide, is worth $500 empty. The tools are easily worth $1,000. I think he wants to be done with mechanic work, and I can't blame him in the slightest. Not having to try to get a ton (literally) of tools moved isn't breaking my heart any, either!

Off to the races, my chickens...
    Lisa in West Texas
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    So much change going on with everyone! Sent a message to miriamwithcats yesterday as I've been wondering what she and the girls are up to - hope she posts back soon so I don't have to worry about them.

Finished the book I had been reading and worked on a afghan I have been crocheting off and on for about 3 years - ok so it was way more off than on . . . Lol.

All the worry over that big storm was for nothing - I think it was worse up north. Our power blinked off and on a couple of times just long enough to have to reset all the blinking clocks.

I think I said my interview is Monday but it's actualTuesday.

Thanks Kim for your kind words.

My DD#2 celebrated her 48th birthday today. I called her and told her I had been thinking about when they brought her in to me in the hospital and then I just got choked up and started crying (on the phone not in the hospital). What's with that? Jeesh!

Off to bed for me - <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    So proud of myself for posting this pic from my phone. That is us outside a theater (was an old church repurposed as a theater). Had a great day, salad at brunch and no dessert! Lots of conversation and a great Bernard Shaw play "Mrs Warren's Profession". The long drive to Philadelphia was worth it! I even checked out my OS's new flooring in her apt. She still has lots to do and has asked for my help in renovating her kitchen next summer!!! If you all remember how difficult the past summers bathroom Reno you might think I screamed noooo but honestly, she needs so much help, I told her I would absolutely help her!!! NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - just thought I'd post these because you said you had the connection to Tell City. The chairs don't match the table... but I did get them cleaned up and recovered. Someone had fastened the old cushions, all ripped up and in bad shape, to the chairs with strapping tape, which took some major and careful cleaning.

a09ict0yf8jy.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    NY Karen - Love the sis pics! <3

Well, the zoo is a washout as the showers keep on coming. :s Don't want to trail around a very big area in the rain, plus it's chilly. I got a last minute booking to our favourite gastro pub and we are splurging on a taxi so we can celebrate with a glass or two. B)
    Don't know if we will have the steak tonight now. Guess it depends how we feel.
    Unfortunately I only did half my exercises this morning as I anticipated a lot of walking around today. Hmmmmmmmm! If I can drag myself onto a machine later then I will. ;)
    DB and DSIL got DH a lovely walking map of the Brighton area. He was delighted with that. Looking at it I realise how tiny an area we are actually interested in! Prices are sky high there.

Love you all, Heather UK

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Morning all~
    well I was up 3 times with Chester.. Tom put him out before he left and I got about 3 more hrs of sleep
    this interupted sleep is doing a number, hopefully his bladder is healing a little quicker
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy MOnday! Beginning week four of the crud, but it feels like it's on it's way out. Just left with a nagging cough. I have a dentist appt. scheduled for this afternoon, but I think I am going to call and reschedule. I don't want to begin coughing while the dentist/hygenist is working on me.
    Lisa- the furniture is beautiful! I am sure it looks MUCH better than it did when you found it. I am sure you will find the perfect place for you and dh to roost. It is good that you can take some time and check out each piece of property.
    Heather-Yea for Bea! Yea for you and your extreme decorating talent! The cake was beautiful and I am sure the ceremony was just as lovely. I think it is so great that you and your ex are on good terms. I see so many families that can't function that way. So hard for the kids.
    Penny--Being busy is a blessing and a curse. May you find joy in all those days. Hurts my heart to think about global warming and what it does to our earth! So much that I want to see and do; but worrying and wondering how much longer I will have to experience things due to global warming. So glad no one was hurt in the land slides.
    Karen-- Love the pic of you and your sisters! You all have such beautiful smiles!
    Gloria-So happy to hear that the boys gave you a hug and I think they can really feel the difference in some one having them do something that they don't want to do (like home work) and making them do it, because they love and care about them. Your love shows and the kids can feel it. Glad you are getting some counseling or even just some time to vent and problem solve. Kids are hard, especially when they have been raised by some one else. Love and hugs to you! <3
    Pip- - 12.5 miles! I bet you are sore! When is the big race?
    Rori- Love the pics! It looks like you had a great time!
    Kim and Sharon- Love hearing about the musical nights you had/will be having! I love all of the music to Harry Potter and JCS is one of my favorite musicals!
    Well, the first of my kiddos has just arrived, so my work day is starting. Hope your day/week goes well! KJ
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good morning to all!

I must confess. I'm procrastinating this morning, which I did all weekend, which is why I need to work--not procrastinate--this a.m. But admitting this things to you has a tendency to put me back on track.

Now that I've said that...

Penny , I'm sad with you over the changes in your climate. :'(

Heather, What a gorgeous cake! I'm so glad you enjoyed the day. And so sorry your DS is struggling. And when I go to Spain I'll definitely plan far enough in advance that DH and I can see the Alhambra.

Rori, Karen in NY (recently Philadelphia), Kay, Beautiful pictures! Adorable grandchildren, Kay! I second the comment about lovely smiles, Karen! Which one is you? And Rori, you--and Hawaii--look fabulous!

Re, it's been so long since I've posted that I haven't said welcome back from your vacation! I'm glad it was wonderful and relaxing. You have a very hectic life!

Becca, I'm with you on the positivity.

Mary, I don't know if you need more kettlebells, but I saw yesterday that Walmart had CAP kettlebells on a good price reduction online. I needed to get a heavier one for my deadlifts, and the 60 pounder was less than $45. The Kettlebell swings are making a huge difference in my ability to walk uphill! I've got much more power in my hips.

More later...

KarenE
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Sister day great picture!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    2906972t6ozbz6jx1.gif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    well another day and its 1/2 over..
    Honest to Goodness .. I am going to ask Tom if there is anything he likes about me anymore.. cause all he does is nit pick and bi#ch, he also treat me like I am stupid and says I never listen..
    He Is going down to Florida on the 28th and will be home on the 5th, now I was supposed to watch Faith on 4th,5th and they would be coming home the 6th. well I can't help them this time unless it is overnight saterday.. as Tom will not be here and I have to be here for the dogs...

I would send my DH with your Tom to somewhere to learn respect!! It is making retirement a little hard here :(
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning all - have a great day!!

Rori - beautiful picture, you look great!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

Goal for today - don't focus on the outside yucky weather!!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am the sister wearing the red sweater. Notice how most of us keep our glasses on our heads, learned that one from our mom. I am told I look the most like her, but I am nowhere near how gorgeous she was. Pics of my mom from the 50s she looks like a movie star!

Anyway, I am plowing through the tough 2 days of the work week (monday and tuesday) by planning good food choices and logging in that I go to the gym, that way I know I will go to the gym!!!

Times are indeed challenging, I hope everyone of us continues to support, share, laugh and encourage one another, what a difference you all make in my life! <3

NYKAREN